Author Topic: Baby carrots and other convienences  (Read 17506 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Baby carrots and other convienences
« on: January 14, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »
I'm not sure if this article will be interesting to others, but it was to me.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/13/no-one-understands-baby-carrots/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_1_na

I didn't realize baby carrots were 70% of the carrots sold; nor that there are people who really believe they are "baby" carrots, and not just precut ones.

I've never bought baby carrots. They cost so much more than regular carrots, which are not that difficult to peel and slice for a snack or for a party.  I knew it was a semi-frugal habit, but I never thought it was that unusual. At 70% market share, maybe I'm mostly alone in this.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Baby carrots and other convienences
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
At my stores 1 lb of baby carrots is the same price as 1lb of regular carrots - 99c. Maybe at one store the regular carrots are 79c which is not worth the difference. Its always been that way since I can remember.

Unless I buy 5 lbs of carrots at a time there is no cost savings. Even then 5lbs are $3.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
I buy baby carrots fairly regularly. They are an easy snack to nibble on at work or on the go. I'm happy to pay more for them than regular carrots as I know that when it comes to easy, mindless snacking, I'll likely not even think to slice the carrots.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
At my stores 1 lb of baby carrots is the same price as 1lb of regular carrots - 99c. Maybe at one store the regular carrots are 79c which is not worth the difference. Its always been that way since I can remember.

Unless I buy 5 lbs of carrots at a time there is no cost savings. Even then 5lbs are $3.

Ours cost a lot more to buy baby carrots. 

I wonder how much waste there is in them. Possibly none because "ugly" food doesn't typically sell and that is where this comes from, rather than "pretty" carrots. And maybe the shavings go into animal feed or something.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 02:23:25 PM »

Ours cost a lot more to buy baby carrots. 

I wonder how much waste there is in them. Possibly none because "ugly" food doesn't typically sell and that is where this comes from, rather than "pretty" carrots. And maybe the shavings go into animal feed or something.
Ours costs less to buy a lb of baby carrots vs regular carrots $.99 vs $1.29.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 02:46:34 PM »
pound of organic carrots is $1 here, and way tastier than the baby carrots. Even if need to peel takes what 2 seconds? Don't know why anyone buys the baby carrots.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »

This. We buy baby carrot bags practically every shopping trip. The price difference is negligible and the convenience is worth the few pennies difference to me.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 03:07:40 PM »
I'm a little shocked by this.  Mostly the price you all pay for carrots.  I don't think I've ever paid more than $.60/lb, and usually can find them for $.50/lb.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 03:19:18 PM »
In our area (Central TX), it's gotten to the point that there is no price difference between organic and regular carrots either, whether they are baby or not.  I would usually buy the organic regular carrots for $.79/b, but I've recently decided to add snacking carrots to my list of easy stuff to eat at work, so I bit the bullet and got the 5 lb bag of organic baby carrots for about $3.59 from Costco.  I figured if I didn't eat them as much as I had expected, I would just freeze some before they went bad.  So far, I've been making great progress, and adding them to meals has been super easy, since I don't need to think about chopping them up, just grab a few handfuls and go.

TrMama

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »
I used to buy them when the kids were toddlers. There is something about cooking every meal with two kids hanging on your legs, crying about how hungry and attention starved they are that makes the small convenience seem worth it.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »
Why does anyone peel carrots?  I just give them a wash and leave the skin on.

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 06:42:57 PM »
I only get baby carrots if I plant them too close and don't thin so they can grow up to be big carrots.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »
I buy whichever happen to be cheaper in any given week, but in my third trimester I craved baby carrots. Not just baby carrots; they  had to be the ones in the 1lb bag rather than the 2lb bag, because they were smaller and (to my hormonally driven palate, at least) sweeter. My husband had to ration them for me.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 07:08:15 PM »
Things I learnt today: baby carrots are a thing in the US. Never heard of this product til I read this thread.

We usually buy normal carrots for $0.99/kg (1 kg is approx 2 lb, so 50c/lb) or $0.79/kg for a bag of carrots of mismatched size and shape.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 07:21:20 PM »
Why does anyone peel carrots?  I just give them a wash and leave the skin on.

I was wondering the same thing, no reason at all to peel a carrot. We buy both. Both get consumed as is.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 06:24:54 AM »
Huh.

Eating unpeeled carrots.  For some reason, I've never even considered the idea.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 06:43:33 AM »
Yep.  That's the same reaction I had when I was asked why I peeled ginger.  I no longer do.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 06:57:49 AM »
These days I tend to buy baby carrots more often than whole ones because they are cheaper in one or two pound bags. If whole carrots are cheaper, I buy them and don't peel. When I need a lot of carrots, whole are cheaper in five pond bags, and whole carrots keep better.

However, for snacking with a dip, it's a lot easier to get some dip onto a carrot stick I cut myself than a rounded, slick baby carrot.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »
No reason to peel potatoes either.

Baby carrots are frequently the same price and they are less woody, which makes it easier for my two-year-old to eat them.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 07:50:25 AM »
However, for snacking with a dip, it's a lot easier to get some dip onto a carrot stick I cut myself than a rounded, slick baby carrot.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who prefers actual carrot sticks (with square corners) to baby carrots.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 08:06:57 AM »
I only get baby carrots if I plant them too close and don't thin so they can grow up to be big carrots.

This got me to wondering if the "baby carrots are just cut-up big carrots" thing was just urban legend. After all, it would seem beneficial to both farmer (more carrots per acre, more crops per year) and processor (less processing) to actually grow small carrots. so I looked it up:

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/babycarrot.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2016/01/everything_you_thought_you_kne.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_carrot

So there ya go. other than cost, not as wasteful as I might have thought.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 08:44:29 AM »
In most of our local stores, baby carrots are 2x regular peeled carrots, which are 10-20% more than whole unprocessed ones.
I'll occasionally get baby cut carrots at the commissary if I'm pickling a big batch of giardinere - the premium is lower there, and basically justified for that use - but otherwise we peel and cut our own for everything.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:46:00 AM by zephyr911 »

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 09:41:33 AM »
I confess I have purchased baby carrots in the past to dump into stews and soups when I was too lazy to chop them up myself.  I have resisted them for the last few years successfully though.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
I confess I have purchased baby carrots in the past to dump into stews and soups when I was too lazy to chop them up myself.  I have resisted them for the last few years successfully though.
I used to treat prep work as a Zen retreat, even before I started noticing how much $$ it saves. It does pay to at least look for the differences... I've noticed the premium on pre-shredded cheese has gotten vanishingly small in most places now, but I did buy a whole 8oz block of pepper jack last week for taco night with friends, after comparing prices and finding meaningful savings there. This turned into even more of a win when I enlisted an onlooker to grate it. ;)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 11:11:03 AM »
I used to treat prep work as a Zen retreat, even before I started noticing how much $$ it saves. It does pay to at least look for the differences... I've noticed the premium on pre-shredded cheese has gotten vanishingly small in most places now, but I did buy a whole 8oz block of pepper jack last week for taco night with friends, after comparing prices and finding meaningful savings there. This turned into even more of a win when I enlisted an onlooker to grate it. ;)

I buy blocks of cheese even when pre-shredded is the same unit price, because pre-shredded cheese has additives to prevent caking and goes bad faster.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »

I buy blocks of cheese even when pre-shredded is the same unit price, because pre-shredded cheese has additives to prevent caking and goes bad faster.

From https://www.sargento.com/faq
We use powdered cellulose or potato starch as anti-caking agents on our cheese. When added to cheese, they prevent it from sticking together. they’re not harmful.
Yeah, but I'm paying for cheese, not the additives. I want 100% of your cheese for my (greenback) cheese, dammit!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 01:21:23 PM »

From https://www.sargento.com/faq
We use powdered cellulose or potato starch as anti-caking agents on our cheese. When added to cheese, they prevent it from sticking together. they’re not harmful.
Yeah, but I'm paying for cheese, not the additives. I want 100% of your cheese for my (greenback) cheese, dammit!

I've often heard that the cellulose added to food items was typically obtained from finely ground sawdust.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 01:24:12 PM »
I've often heard that the cellulose added to food items was typically obtained from finely ground sawdust.
Most of us need more fiber in our diets anyway. As long as the wood wasn't treated, I'm good.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 01:39:11 PM »
Most of us need more fiber in our diets anyway. As long as the wood wasn't treated, I'm good.

I hear that Wendy's and other places put that in their milkshakes and ice cream too...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 02:55:02 PM »

Not in the freezer it doesn't, and unlike the blocks it comes out of the freezer just fine. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »
I tried buying a giant block and cheese and shredding it myself and it was a messy nightmare. I have 4 people in my house and man are my menfolk big eaters, so we're talking giant bags of Costco cheese. Too lazy to self-shred.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 04:32:23 PM »

Tree trunks are beaver food, to my way of thinking. I've always believed that, for a human being, it's OK to have a beaver, but it's not OK to be one.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 08:47:52 AM »
We buy the giant bag of Costco mozzarella and freeze most of it in 1 lb aliquots in freezer bags. For making pizza or similar it's really convenient, and I think the price is comparable to any alternative.

I don't like the way baby carrots taste, but if I did, I'd consider them if they were the same price point as regular carrots.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:58 AM »
My mother always gave us carrot sticks (as opposed to baby carrots) so I never really got in the habit of buying baby carrots.  Which is fortunate, as baby carrots are typically 2x the price of regular carrots around here!

I can believe the 70% figure though.  If I look at the fridge in my office, there are always several bags of baby carrots, but usually only one container of carrot sticks (mine).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 01:48:10 PM »
Why even bother freezing cheese? It is usually dated out like 6 months.  We just make sure to prioritize eating the ones we open first.  We rarely ever have cheese go moldy unless it's left opened in the fridge for several weeks.  Every time cheese goes on sale we stock up.

I don't know if i've ever purchased carrots either.  Kroger is constantly sending up coupons in the mail, and one of them is usually a free bag of baby carrots, so we get a bag every month or two.  I don't know why they do it, but i'll take the free carrots every time.  Easy snack for the dog too, she loves baby carrots.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
Why even bother freezing cheese? It is usually dated out like 6 months.  We just make sure to prioritize eating the ones we open first.  We rarely ever have cheese go moldy unless it's left opened in the fridge for several weeks.  Every time cheese goes on sale we stock up.

Because we buy 5 pound bags of shredded cheese. Once they are open, it will definitely take more than "several weeks" to eat up!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »
I tried buying a giant block and cheese and shredding it myself and it was a messy nightmare. I have 4 people in my house and man are my menfolk big eaters, so we're talking giant bags of Costco cheese. Too lazy to self-shred.

I grate cheese by hand for single servings.  For family dinners, I bust out the grating attachment on the food processor.  I can grate enough cheese to make fondue for six people in about 30 seconds.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »

I grate cheese by hand for single servings.  For family dinners, I bust out the grating attachment on the food processor.  I can grate enough cheese to make fondue for six people in about 30 seconds.

Yeah, that's how I was doing it. Maybe I would have had better luck with cheddar--for mozzarella, it was just a nonstarter.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »

Yeah, that's how I was doing it. Maybe I would have had better luck with cheddar--for mozzarella, it was just a nonstarter.

Yeah, I've tried shredding mozzarella on several occasions and it just doesn't turn out as well as it does for cheddar.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2016, 07:19:01 PM »

Because we buy 5 pound bags of shredded cheese. Once they are open, it will definitely take more than "several weeks" to eat up!

I find that the unit price on cheese is almost always best on the 8 oz blocks or pre shredded bags. At least at my local kroger. We get a variety of cheeses that way, and they stay packaged until we need to use them.   We usually pay around $3/lb, sometimes cheaper if we have coupons.  They run sales frequent enough that we always stock up and only buy while on it's on sale

What's up with people having issues shredding cheese?  Just rub the cheese on the cheese grater.  I don't understand what the problem is?  The worst part about it is cleaning the cheese off of the cheese grater because it gets smeared on, and you end up shredding your sponge a bit when you clean it, but the actual shredding of cheese is trivial.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »
Mozzarella cheese is kind of soft and difficult to shred.

When you have to shred a pound of cheese, it is kind of a pain if you don't have a food processor with a grater attachment.

I don't mind grating a few ounces of cheddar, but if I'm making something with a ton of cheese I get tired of grating. If you need it grated for a recipe and it costs the same to buy pre-grated as block, why not get grated if you want?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 11:03:54 PM »
I agree with buying shredded cheese if possible for stuff like pizza, but I have had to shred it from a block on many occasions and never had any trouble with it.  Until I get to the last ounce or so, then I just eat it rather than risk getting my finger tips as a topping.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 10:25:48 AM »
To shred mozzarella (or other softer cheeses) freeze it first.  Just stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours before shredding because you want it very firm but not frozen solid yet.  Then just run it through the food processor/kitchen aid attachment.  Its hard to grate it by hand even frozen IMO.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »
Maybe I get different mozzarella here in michigan? Seems unlikely since I have also purchased kraft cheese and it's about the same as the kroger brand I normally purchase.  It's definitely softer than cheddar, but no where near the consistency that it can't easily be manually shredded.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »
For the people having trouble with shredding softer cheeses: spray some nonstick spray on the shredder prior to shredding it makes it a lot easier.  Also it helps if you have a sharp shredder.

Be careful with freezing soft cheeses as it screws up the consistency.  Then again if you're shredding it for baking it probably won't matter.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2016, 05:11:52 PM »
Slightly on topic. is cheese still orange in america?

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2016, 05:57:58 PM »
Why even bother freezing cheese? ...

I freeze cheese generally because it's easier to grate by hand if you use the frozen block of cheese.
No saw dust, no potato starch and no mould problem.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2016, 06:01:56 PM »

OMG yes.... I was shocked when I arrived here 8 yrs ago. White, yellow or orange cheese.... now they even have marbled cheese (white and orange)

........  waaaaaaahhhhhhhh ......

P.S. they do sell actual cheese too though. For an arm and a leg. Quebecois cheese turns out to be pretty decent and there are quite a few organic small farms in Ontario now that make pretty good cheese. But again... $10 for 5-6oz of goat camembert.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:04:56 PM by Mermaid3011 »

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »

OMG yes.... I was shocked when I arrived here 8 yrs ago. White, yellow or orange cheese.... now they even have marbled cheese (white and orange)

........  waaaaaaahhhhhhhh ......

P.S. they do sell actual cheese too though. For an arm and a leg. Quebecois cheese turns out to be pretty decent and there are quite a few organic small farms in Ontario now that make pretty good cheese. But again... $10 for 5-6oz of goat camembert.

Clearly you are not cheese people if you think natural cheese does not come in many colors including "orange".

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2016, 04:42:47 AM »
I admit I sometimes buy baby carrots because of the convenience, but that will stop since I just learned they are soaked in a chlorine solution.

I guess I can cut up my own carrots.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!