Author Topic: average US food expenditure  (Read 3741 times)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
average US food expenditure
« on: May 13, 2015, 12:23:47 PM »
I first looked at these numbers and thought "well, that isnt so bad for a month. Is it wrong what I read here on the forum about wasting money on food?"

And then I saw it: Its not per month, its per fu***** week!

http://agecon.okstate.edu/faculty/publications/4975.pdf

140 Dollar (110€) per WEEK! Thats more then german social security for everything (except renting costs), and I think US is even quite a bit lower with the food stamps.

And I wont say a word on the 80% for "mandatory label for foods containing DNA". Dont say these people that the A stands for Acid, please, or it will grow to 140%.

Merrie

• Bristles
Re: average US food expenditure
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »
Is this supposed to be per person? I'm spending about $500-600/month for a family of 4, including two kids under 5. It seems high to me but not outrageously high. And we buy very few prepared foods.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
140 Dollar (110€) per WEEK! Thats more then german social security for everything (except renting costs), and I think US is even quite a bit lower with the food stamps.
That is for "you or your household".  The definition of "household" is not readily apparent - see http://agecon.okstate.edu/files/Survey%20Info%20%28pdf4556%29.pdf.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:54:37 PM »
That is for "you or your household".  The definition of "household" is not readily apparent - see http://agecon.okstate.edu/files/Survey%20Info%20%28pdf4556%29.pdf.
Ah, that means it would be for the average household then? 2.54 people.
Makes roughly 222$ per head then, children included.
Well, thats better.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »
140 Dollar (110€) per WEEK! Thats more then german social security for everything (except renting costs)

Average cost of groceries in Germany: $500.07 per WEEK for a family of 4.  I don't know what you're talking about with your post, but you make it sound like in Germany you can pay all your bills including food for under $140/week.  The data doesn't seem to support that.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »
And I wont say a word on the 80% for "mandatory label for foods containing DNA". Dont say these people that the A stands for Acid, please, or it will grow to 140%.
DNA?! You know how dangerous that thing is? Bacteria are full of it! That stuff can kill you! [/sarcasm]

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »
I'm sorry, who exactly was the population sampled that was willing to pay $3.79/lb for pasta at the end of last year?  Because I'm willing to pay about $0.99/lb, and only if I'm completely out, otherwise $0.75/lb.

I mean I don't see that survey jiving with reality when I go to the grocery store.  I've never seen hamburger cheaper than chicken, so I don't understand in what world they think economically consumers are actually willing to pay more for chicken than hamburger, but dumb chicken farmers just haven't figured out they could raise prices from $1/lb to $5/lb and it would still sell.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 02:02:21 AM »
140 Dollar (110€) per WEEK! Thats more then german social security for everything (except renting costs)

Average cost of groceries in Germany: $500.07 per WEEK for a family of 4.  I don't know what you're talking about with your post, but you make it sound like in Germany you can pay all your bills including food for under $140/week.  The data doesn't seem to support that.
I talk about german social security, which is (capped) living costs + 394€ for a single. Food is 4,20€ a day, if I remember correctly.
You also tripped on the person-household error.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!