Author Topic: Aussie delivery driver bid on $6m mansion with a forged cheque - to impress kids  (Read 3230 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
In 2015, desperate to win his children's approval, according to his defence barrister, he toured them through a beautiful three-bedroom, four-bathroom South Yarra mansion and made a $5.9 million bid to buy it.
At the time, he was living in a tiny room over the top of a pizza shop.
But he couldn't come up with the 10 per cent deposit. Two months later he tried again, submitting a higher offer of $6.05 million – and a forged cheque. A month later the cheque bounced.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fraudster-graeme-effrett--pretended-to-be-a-big-shot-to-win-the-love-of-his-children-20160708-gq1iby.html

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Delusions of grandeur has never been a more apt saying.

Whatever happened to loving people for who they are and not what they are *allegedly* worth. This guy has the wrong idea.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
Yep so you cheat a little and get the keys to the house handed to you.

What about in a month or two when the keys are taken away? Isn't that far, far more embarrassing than just about anything else?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
I find it sad but funny when someone who's facing punishment acts like it was the first time they made a mistake. This guy defrauded many people, this isn't a situation where he just wanted to show off and seem like a big man to his kids.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
Did he honestly think he was going to get away with this?

His poor children. They have to know their father is a liar and a thief, and now they're being used as the reason for his dishonesty.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
I built and sold new homes in resort communities. I have heard tales from several realtors regarding serious problems with some groups of folks, typically eastern European, that like to play similar games. They waste time with a realtor, while shopping with no real intention to buy, then often go as far as signing an agreement of sale. The process typically involves repeated trips out of the city to show relatives and friends the big impressive house they are buying. The charade typically ends when the home inspection report shows the slightest of flaws, and the  big macho buyer throws a showy fit about how somebody is trying to fuck him.

I actually watched this go down, in the bottom of the recession, with a property that was being sold as a distressed sale. It had a killer rental history, was less than five years old, was fully furnished, and ended up being dumped for a 40% discount. A Russian family jerked the sellers around for months, then killed the deal when the inspection showed a failed bathroom exhaust fan, a $14 part, and a five minute fix. Personally, I had a big, first generation Italian family pull the same shit on me. All the men stood on the deck of a new home I was selling. The patriarch then engaged in a big show of negotiating, while at least two generations of sons and other close male relatives looked on in admiration. The women were sent off the deck before the show started. After reaching an agreement, every body left, and "Papa" strutted away like he was all that and more. For the next couple of weeks of playing phone tag, "Papa" told me more lies and bullshit than I could keep track of. It was all a show, the guy was a total bullshitter who couldn't afford a dog house, much less a second home. I'm sure he also ended up telling his family that I tried to screw him.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
I built and sold new homes in resort communities. I have heard tales from several realtors regarding serious problems with some groups of folks, typically eastern European, that like to play similar games. They waste time with a realtor, while shopping with no real intention to buy, then often go as far as signing an agreement of sale. The process typically involves repeated trips out of the city to show relatives and friends the big impressive house they are buying. The charade typically ends when the home inspection report shows the slightest of flaws, and the  big macho buyer throws a showy fit about how somebody is trying to fuck him.

I actually watched this go down, in the bottom of the recession, with a property that was being sold as a distressed sale. It had a killer rental history, was less than five years old, was fully furnished, and ended up being dumped for a 40% discount. A Russian family jerked the sellers around for months, then killed the deal when the inspection showed a failed bathroom exhaust fan, a $14 part, and a five minute fix. Personally, I had a big, first generation Italian family pull the same shit on me. All the men stood on the deck of a new home I was selling. The patriarch then engaged in a big show of negotiating, while at least two generations of sons and other close male relatives looked on in admiration. The women were sent off the deck before the show started. After reaching an agreement, every body left, and "Papa" strutted away like he was all that and more. For the next couple of weeks of playing phone tag, "Papa" told me more lies and bullshit than I could keep track of. It was all a show, the guy was a total bullshitter who couldn't afford a dog house, much less a second home. I'm sure he also ended up telling his family that I tried to screw him.

I take it the credit check pre approval before we got to this stage was not enough to screen out these guys?  How did they make it that far?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache

I take it the credit check pre approval before we got to this stage was not enough to screen out these guys?  How did they make it that far?

Because pre-approval has nothing to do with the issue. Most realtors wouldn't waste their time on anybody that can't qualify, so none of these examples involved a potential customer who was just jerking around, and couldn't afford to buy. These are individuals who are from cultures that are really impressed when one of their own drops big bucks on something like a vacation home. So, some of them will go through elaborate bullshit schemes of  making offers, signing sales agreements, and dragging the relatives a few hours out into the sticks, for second and third showings, while knowing fully well that they are doing it all for the show, and will cause the deal to fall apart in the end, while blaming somebody else for fucking them over. I had one realtor who simply refused to waste a minute on another Russian, after getting repeatedly burned. If they pressed him, he would print out a handful of listings, tell then he was already booked for the day, and tell them to drive around and get back to him if they were interested. It was basically a polite way to tell them to F-off and find some other chump to jerk around. My personal story of the Italian "Papa" was a bit different, in that there were several extended family members who had their own homes on the same block. They assured me that, once the house was ready to market, "Papa" would be up for a look, and he was real serious. Seriously full of shit, as it turns out.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:51:31 PM by paddedhat »

marty998

• Walrus Stache

Who has the time to waste to do something like this? And everyone in the family goes along with it?

Bloody hell.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!