Author Topic: Athos feedback training gear  (Read 2821 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Athos feedback training gear
« on: September 25, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »
Came across Athos training gear the other day and was intrigued.  Basically it is a shirt, shorts and small computer that monitors how you move during an exercise (squat, bench press, pull up, etc) and provides feed back on your smart phone showing what muscles fired and when and how you can move better.  GREAT!!!  However a full setup will run 550$.  Where I first read about it they said it was 150$ and I was like OK, bit high but maybe for my next birthday, but then I read the full price of 550$ and my thoughts radically changed.

https://www.liveathos.com/

I think it is a great idea with lots of potential but the price point is just crazy for me.  Yeah I get if you are some very hard core lifter or aspiring pro this could be a great tool but for the average joe I have trouble seeing the value.

But maybe I am 100% wrong, I do very much see the value in running with a GPS watch & heart rate monitor; maybe this is just the gym equivalent?  Has anyone had first hand experience with it? 

somebody8198

• Stubble
Re: Athos feedback training gear
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:51:50 PM »
0.0000001% of people training are serious enough that they need this type of technology to monitor their progress. I noticed that the consumer tech industry recently figured out that people will pay money for computers that tell them they're being "active." Notice all those "smart watch" devices? Yeah, I know a lot of fairly athletic people now, and none of them use a digital workout tracking device. Only the out of shape people use them. I think this is sort of like slacktivism applied to fitness.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
0.0000001% of people training are serious enough that they need this type of technology to monitor their progress. I noticed that the consumer tech industry recently figured out that people will pay money for computers that tell them they're being "active." Notice all those "smart watch" devices? Yeah, I know a lot of fairly athletic people now, and none of them use a digital workout tracking device. Only the out of shape people use them. I think this is sort of like slacktivism applied to fitness.

I might go a few orders of magnitude higher than that :-p  But the really elite may need it less as they have a personal human coach evaluating form.  Many people can only get form feedback by posting a video to youtube.  At 550$ I should hope weekend warriors are not jumping on this, but I am sure they are...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 05:34:17 PM »
The athletes who would get any real benefit from this sort of thing will have it purchased for them by their sponsors.  If you're paying for it, you most likely don't need it.

You know how to tell what muscles are activating when you squat twice your body weight?  That's easy.  All of the muscles used squatting.  You want to know how your progress is?  Also easy, count the plates on the bar.  Want to know if your form is good?  Again . . . easy.  Did you hurt yourself?  No?  Then you're good.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
In slightly less insane news, I got a confirmation email from Amazon the other day thanking me for my order of a $90 pair of boxing gloves.

Roughly 17 seconds later, after dialing DW (who shares my account) to figure out WTF was going on, I discovered this was just a favor to her family back home. Every time we visit, they hit her up to bring things they can't get there. At least they pay her back! This time her mom is visiting us and will tote these home at the end.

$90 though? Holy fuck. We both have gloves and occasionally trot them out to hit the bag at the gym. Neither set was more than $30, and they're great.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 06:04:03 AM »
Good boxing gloves are worth the money if you're training seriously.  (As are very long, stretchy hand wraps.)I killed three cheaper pairs of gloves in my first year boxing.  The stitching would rip, the outer material would rip, and the material on the insides would shred.  As the padding gives way you'll also break your knuckles more easily.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:27:26 AM »
Coworker will have all his family order there stuff shipped to our US office (dirt cheap shipping compared to his country) then he will pack it and fly with it back home.  He flys a lot so he gets several free large suit cases, seems to work for them.  Before he leaves his office is like a Amazon show room.