Author Topic: Aston Martin Lease  (Read 14437 times)

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Aston Martin Lease
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:01:49 AM »
I was flipping through a magazine in the dentists office the other day and came across an advertisement to lease an Aston Martin for only $1900/mo. Still trying to get my head around that.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer/2015/05/07/aston-martin-enters-lease-arena-offering-james-bonds-lifestyle-at-low-monthly-rate/

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Aston Martin Lease
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »
wow.  Just wow.  If you've got the money I suppose it would be a fun thing to do, but on my path to FI this would equal almost my entire monthly budget.

Someday I want to drive such a car for a few days, just to see what the big effing deal is.  I'm certain they're a lot of fun.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »
wow.  Just wow.  If you've got the money I suppose it would be a fun thing to do, but on my path to FI this would equal almost my entire monthly budget.

Someday I want to drive such a car for a few days, just to see what the big effing deal is.  I'm certain they're a lot of fun.
I almost rented a Ferrari one year for my birthday. Even in my pre-MMM days it ended up being too ridiculous to pull the trigger.
Maybe someday though. Maybe when we top a million I'll try one for a day.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 08:33:36 AM »

I almost rented a Ferrari one year for my birthday. Even in my pre-MMM days it ended up being too ridiculous to pull the trigger.

My mom got my dad 7 laps in a Ferrari for Christmas, it was a Groupon, I'm sure she spent <$200.  There are all sorts of these "driving experience" events you can look into. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »
My mom got my dad 7 laps in a Ferrari for Christmas, it was a Groupon, I'm sure she spent <$200.  There are all sorts of these "driving experience" events you can look into.
I live reasonably close to two places where you can do those things. The track sounds fun and all, but I'd wanna rock it down the street and turn heads... lol

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 08:40:25 AM »

Yeah, I saw the same (or similar) GroupOn a while ago.  Problem is I don't want to just drive around an oval at high(ish) speeds•.  I'd rather go driving along some scenic highway like the Big Sur coast where I used to live.  Just a passing dream right now - wouldn't fit my current lifestyle at all.  If I overshoot my retirement (very likely) I might rent something similar for a weekend getaway.  Who knows.

*I'm not certain, but I'm guessing they don't let novice, rent-a-ferrari drivers top out the car on the track at over 200mph. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »

Yeah, I saw the same (or similar) GroupOn a while ago.  Problem is I don't want to just drive around an oval at high(ish) speeds•.  I'd rather go driving along some scenic highway like the Big Sur coast where I used to live.  Just a passing dream right now - wouldn't fit my current lifestyle at all.  If I overshoot my retirement (very likely) I might rent something similar for a weekend getaway.  Who knows.

*I'm not certain, but I'm guessing they don't let novice, rent-a-ferrari drivers top out the car on the track at over 200mph.

Yeah, my dad said he might have hit 70, LOL.  There's one in Vegas where you can go faster, but it's also $$$.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:45:32 AM »
Actually though, while we're on the subject, I'm pretty sure I can test drive a P85D for free on actual highways if I ever end up near a Tesla store with time to kill.

I know someone who took a test drive and accidentally exceeded 100 in the course of a routine highway passing maneuver (from 70 or so). Salesguy was like "yeah, that happens a lot". xD

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:58:55 AM »
Actually though, while we're on the subject, I'm pretty sure I can test drive a P85D for free on actual highways if I ever end up near a Tesla store with time to kill.

I know someone who took a test drive and accidentally exceeded 100 in the course of a routine highway passing maneuver (from 70 or so). Salesguy was like "yeah, that happens a lot". xD
Reminds me of my old housemate who was a computer programmer in Silicon Valley.  His idea of "fun" was to go to the expensive dealerships and pretend to be interested in purchasing some ridiculous machine.  I guess they saw a lot of 20-somethings buying $50-80k cars, because we would almost always get a test drive, often without anyone riding along.  I came with him once when he 'test'-drove an Audi S8, which had an MSRP around $90k.  Fun car... at one point he went to pass another vehicle on the 880 and just as you said, he looked down and was look "oops, I'm going 105mph!)

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »

Not too surprising.  People underestimate the acceleration ability that comes with instant torque.  If you're expecting it to need to "rev up" then you're going to be in for a surprise.  I'm wondering how much power the Bolt and Model 3 will have when they come out, does your Volt feel fast or is it only the top end Teslas?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »
Not too surprising.  People underestimate the acceleration ability that comes with instant torque.  If you're expecting it to need to "rev up" then you're going to be in for a surprise.  I'm wondering how much power the Bolt and Model 3 will have when they come out, does your Volt feel fast or is it only the top end Teslas?
It feels fast if you floor it off the line or at low speed, but instead of building thereafter, it tails off slightly.
Do I ever miss the S2000? Occasionally... but who wouldn't? ;)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »
It feels fast if you floor it off the line or at low speed, but instead of building thereafter, it tails off slightly.
Do I ever miss the S2000? Occasionally... but who wouldn't? ;)

I do....haven't driven mine in a week!  (away on vacation and it's been rainy here).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 09:35:50 AM »
I do....haven't driven mine in a week!  (away on vacation and it's been rainy here).
I literally shed tears the day I sold mine, but it was the right call for me at the time. I'll have something like it again someday, but battery-powered.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 10:28:47 AM »
The new exotics are nice, but I'd really rather rock an old, well restored classic car. 1970s Jag or something along those lines. Beautiful, and not something anyone can get a loan for.

I'm a sucker for anything with a hood that goes on for miles...

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
The new exotics are nice, but I'd really rather rock an old, well restored classic car. 1970s Jag or something along those lines. Beautiful, and not something anyone can get a loan for.

You can buy a 1970s Jag for about the change I have in my desk (currently $.67 and 1 Chinese Yuan(???))

The Jags to have were not made in the 70s.  ;)

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »

You can buy a 1970s Jag for about the change I have in my desk (currently $.67 and 1 Chinese Yuan(???))

Is this: https://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1970-Jaguar-E~type not something people would want?  Looks pretty nice and has a good price tag on it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 10:41:27 AM »

Is this: https://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1970-Jaguar-E~type not something people would want?  Looks pretty nice and has a good price tag on it.

Look what one just a couple years older sells for with the enclosed headlights:

https://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1967-Jaguar-E~Type

It's about 2x as much for basically the same car. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »

Oh?  Price data would argue otherwise.

I accept that whatever I pick up will need a lot of work.

... though, realistically, my next car purchase will be a 1986 Mazda RX-7 with a blown motor, destined for a frame up restoration into something exactly how I want it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 10:52:06 AM »

It was somewhat of a joke, but as shown above, the Jags from the 70s (and 80s) are about the most unloved examples of the brand.  Jags really are depreciation kings, aside from a very few specific models.  An XJS V12 or XJ12 bought in the 80s for $80k+ is worth about 5% of that today. 

driftxsequence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 11:38:14 AM »
If you guys watch regular car reviews on youtube, Mr. Regular sums up expensive car ownership pretty well. Praise from others, feeling good, feeling special, feeling like things are owed to you. He's a humble guy from SE PA, driving a honda fit (previously a 1st gen echo) and has gotten around to many vehicles. His reviews are usually spot on.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
If you guys watch regular car reviews on youtube, Mr. Regular sums up expensive car ownership pretty well. Praise from others, feeling good, feeling special, feeling like things are owed to you. He's a humble guy from SE PA, driving a honda fit (previously a 1st gen echo) and has gotten around to many vehicles. His reviews are usually spot on.

Both of his S2000 reviews are worth watching :)

driftxsequence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 01:38:24 PM »
headlights go up

headlights go down

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 02:27:54 PM »

It was somewhat of a joke, but as shown above, the Jags from the 70s (and 80s) are about the most unloved examples of the brand.  Jags really are depreciation kings, aside from a very few specific models.  An XJS V12 or XJ12 bought in the 80s for $80k+ is worth about 5% of that today.

Pretty much any car in from the 80s is worth about 5% today:) I must admit that I am always tempted to buy something like http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/640022507/overview/ and hope to drive a year or two before selling.  I have to issues. 1) where would I park it 2) what if I really like it:)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »

Pretty much any car in from the 80s is worth about 5% today:)

Not necessarily.  Primary competitors of the XJS, for instance, were the BMW 635i/635Csi (Still worth maybe $15k), the Porsche 911 (prices have skyrocketed to above $40k for a good one), Mercedes 560SL (good ones are $10-15k+).  Only one that has tracked the Jag in depreciation is the Porsche 928, which is mainly because they are SOOOO complex to work on that they are gigantic moneypits (kinda like the Jag). 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 03:17:54 PM »
I looked at an XJS V12 / XJ12 as a lark. Very very cheap. To buy. Not at all cheap to keep. No thanks.

Also, spec-wise, they're a joke - my 2000 buick is around the same speed and power output. Also, about the same book value these days.

I keep licking my chops at the C5 corvette, though. I think I'll get one, or a C6, several years from now. No hurry, no worry, there's plenty of supply...

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 07:16:27 PM »

Not necessarily.  Primary competitors of the XJS, for instance, were the BMW 635i/635Csi (Still worth maybe $15k), the Porsche 911 (prices have skyrocketed to above $40k for a good one), Mercedes 560SL (good ones are $10-15k+).  Only one that has tracked the Jag in depreciation is the Porsche 928, which is mainly because they are SOOOO complex to work on that they are gigantic moneypits (kinda like the Jag).

The only reason the Porsche maintains value is because you can't tell a 1984 from a 2004. I jest:) Sort of:)  I don't want to argue prices too much (I have seen 635s fro 8k and xjs for 14k) but when you are talking 30+ year old cars it really comes down to what is collectible. You can buy a 2005 6 series for 15k or a 2001 911 for 20k if all you want is a car to look good and drive. Buying those old cars is either a business (you think you can flip to someone else) or a hobby (you always wanted an XJS and now that you are an old man (and yes odds are you are a man:)) you can afford it). Performance wise these things are a joke. Things like the Ferrari Testarossa did 0-60 in ~5 seconds. You know about .5 seconds faster than a honda accord and a half second slower than a 435. It is all about the memories.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »
On the plus side, the 308, 328, testarossa... they still look great. Timeless, especially the 308 and 328. That, and pop culture icons. No, definitely not super fast. A lot of other old cars are just, well, slow, without the looks or the feels.

On the down side, those cost even more to maintain if you actually drive them. Putting a couple hundred miles on em isn't too bad, but those fucking ridiculous retarded engine-out maintenance schedules are just hilariously stupid and just as hilariously expensive. Fuck that. Unless you have your own lift and crane and proper workshop and tools, I wouldn't bother. I looked into it due to the occasional low price, but I like to drive, not look... (Also, people are getting way too into buying and/or restoring the old models, so you can buy something much newer for half the price of a restored 328, which is still going to cost way too much to maintain, because the restoration didn't replace the stupid fucking things about it.)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 09:55:10 PM »
On the plus side, the 308, 328, testarossa... they still look great. Timeless, especially the 308 and 328. That, and pop culture icons....
Ugh, I have to disagree here!  To me, they all look like 'flying wedges' - especially the testarossa. Pop culture icons, sure, but I see them as designs which didn't hold up to the years well at all.  I feel like Ferrari (and Lamborghini and others) was trying to emulate the look of what the space shuttle - all blocky and acute angles, but no curves or sense of asthetic proportion.  A single triangle-shaped profile  as low to the ground as possible.

but... to each his or her own.  A lot of people don't like my style either.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 07:24:24 AM »
On the plus side, the 308, 328, testarossa... they still look great. Timeless, especially the 308 and 328. That, and pop culture icons....
Ugh, I have to disagree here!  To me, they all look like 'flying wedges' - especially the testarossa. Pop culture icons, sure, but I see them as designs which didn't hold up to the years well at all.  I feel like Ferrari (and Lamborghini and others) was trying to emulate the look of what the space shuttle - all blocky and acute angles, but no curves or sense of asthetic proportion.  A single triangle-shaped profile  as low to the ground as possible.

A lot of it depends on what you grew up loving.  I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so I love 80s and 90s sports cars.  They were the cars I idolized as a child and teenager.  I always say that when I was 17, the two things I fantasized about most were Britney Spears and a Ferrari F355.  Both are past their prime and have been replaced by new, hotter models, but I don't care, I still fantasize about both of them :)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 08:00:01 AM »

The only reason the Porsche maintains value is because you can't tell a 1984 from a 2004. I jest:) Sort of:)  I don't want to argue prices too much (I have seen 635s fro 8k and xjs for 14k) but when you are talking 30+ year old cars it really comes down to what is collectible. You can buy a 2005 6 series for 15k or a 2001 911 for 20k if all you want is a car to look good and drive. Buying those old cars is either a business (you think you can flip to someone else) or a hobby (you always wanted an XJS and now that you are an old man (and yes odds are you are a man:)) you can afford it). Performance wise these things are a joke. Things like the Ferrari Testarossa did 0-60 in ~5 seconds. You know about .5 seconds faster than a honda accord and a half second slower than a 435. It is all about the memories.

I wanted a 944 turbo - when it came out it was the fastest production car on the road.  Never did get around to it. my current daily drive is a very anonymous ,12 year old, Volvo s80 with twin turbos. nobody looks at it and its faster than the 944 ever was. It had the speed capped at 158mph. My tyres would be shredded before I got close to that...
I'm fine with what I have.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 08:04:10 AM »

A lot of it depends on what you grew up loving.  I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so I love 80s and 90s sports cars.  They were the cars I idolized as a child and teenager.  I always say that when I was 17, the two things I fantasized about most were Britney Spears and a Ferrari F355.  Both are past their prime and have been replaced by new, hotter models, but I don't care, I still fantasize about both of them :)
I'm pretty sure you and I are the same age, +/- 3 or 4 years.  When you grew up certainly influences taste, but even then people won't agree on style.  Personal opinion - I find the 308, 328, f355  etc. to be among ferrari's least inspired asthetic designs. I much prefer the earlier 250 series (among others)
but that's what's fun... we get to disagree

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 11:06:59 AM »
Even late model Jag / Astons depreciate horribly. I've played with the notion of buying a mid 2000's DB7 (James Bond car) but it's the upkeep I would have a hard time wanting to pay for. And as someone else indicated it's (almost) all vanity.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
Even late model Jag / Astons depreciate horribly. I've played with the notion of buying a mid 2000's DB7 (James Bond car) but it's the upkeep I would have a hard time wanting to pay for. And as someone else indicated it's (almost) all vanity.

Yeah, I recall at various points thinking about splurging on a beautifully expensive car, but the upkeep of it would be more than I would want to bear. That's a key component I've noticed about most luxury goods, they aren't a one-time expense.

Take a mansion, that means heating and cooling a huge area, plus property taxes, maintenance. In addition, if I bought it, I would be likely encouraged to live like a king, instead of living more reasonably.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »
... though, realistically, my next car purchase will be a 1986 Mazda RX-7 with a blown motor, destined for a frame up restoration into something exactly how I want it.
Niiice! I badly miss my '88 FC convertible. It was the car that got me into wrenching on cars, and though it was at the time definitely the right move, I regret to this day selling it.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 10:28:22 AM »
RX7s do tend to demand attention like that. Still love them.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 07:53:36 AM »
Man, there's a lot of former S2000 owners here! I hated selling mine but, as said above it was the right call for me too with kid #2 on the way.

I disagree about the 308 looking dated, especially in GTB form. Having been designed in 1975!, there is little before or since that can match the aesthetics of that profile. Not particularly fast, even in its day, but a stunner if you're into that sort of clown car. ;-)

Edit: And not that anyone on this forum will care but I'm astonished by how prices of 308/328s have skyrocketed in the last 3 years, approximately doubling for a clean 308! A function of the current bull market I guess. Will be interesting to watch the prices during the next market "correction".

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:00:26 AM by FuturePrimitive »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 09:20:58 AM »
Man, there's a lot of former S2000 owners here! I hated selling mine but, as said above it was the right call for me too with kid #2 on the way.

I disagree about the 308 looking dated, especially in GTB form. Having been designed in 1975!, there is little before or since that can match the aesthetics of that profile. Not particularly fast, even in its day, but a stunner if you're into that sort of clown car. ;-)

Edit: And not that anyone on this forum will care but I'm astonished by how prices of 308/328s have skyrocketed in the last 3 years, approximately doubling for a clean 308! A function of the current bull market I guess. Will be interesting to watch the prices during the next market "correction".

Yeah, sad for me because I'd always dreamed of picking up a "cheap" $30k 308 QV.  Probably not going to happen.  I'm probably going to chicken out and buy an old NSX someday instead.  But even those are $$$ anymore.  Argh.  Someone doesn't want me to have a red midengined car. 

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »
Someone doesn't want me to have a red midengined car.

Well you could always get a Fiero.... HA!

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 11:28:23 AM »
Aside from the ridiculousness of a $1,900 lease there is also the item to address regarding allowable miles per the lease agreement.

On the back cover and inside a weekly business trade publication there is a few different ads for local luxury dealerships  (Maserati, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, etc) with similar lease offers but I never paid much attention to the fine print until one day. Most of the vehicles listed had a lower than standard yearly allowance of 10,000 miles per year with a higher per mile penalty than normal leases.

But the one that caught me by surprise was the Rolls Royce lease of $2,100 per month after the $25,000 down (not included taxes and fees) all for the privilege of driving their vehicle only 6,000 miles per year with a $1.25/mile penalty for going over.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:43:42 AM by boyerbt »

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 11:30:02 AM »
Well you could always get a Fiero.... HA!
Heh. I had one of those too, actually. 86.5 GT, 5 speed. It actually wasn't a bad car at all, fun even. And amusingly, the GTs, especially 1988 models with the significantly improved suspension, are also increasing in value to the point you can get better cars for the money. IOW, they are to the price point where you have to want a Fiero specifically and not just a small, fun car.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 02:35:53 PM »
Aside from the ridiculousness of a $1,900 lease

It's ridiculous and it isn't.  There's ridiculousness in driving any $100k+ car.  HOWEVER, if you take that as a given and set it aside, it becomes about how you structure the deal.  IF you're going to drive a $100k+ car, leasing it makes A LOT of sense.  First, the depreciation of these things is epic.  If you can lock in the exact amount of depreciation you are going to "buy", which is what a lease is, that's no bad thing.  Find out what happens if you ding one of these things and need to get it painted.  Tens of thousands of dollars of additional depreciation.   And if the depreciation is not as bad, you are also buying a call option to buy it at the buyout price, you can keep it or flip it for profit.

there is also the item to address regarding allowable miles per the lease agreement.

On the back cover and inside a weekly business trade publication there is a few different ads for local luxury dealerships  (Maserati, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, etc) with similar lease offers but I never paid much attention to the fine print until one day. Most of the vehicles listed had a lower than standard yearly allowance of 10,000 miles per year with a higher per mile penalty than normal leases.

But the one that caught me by surprise was the Rolls Royce lease of $2,100 per month after the $25,000 down (not included taxes and fees) all for the privilege of driving their vehicle only 6,000 miles per year with a $1.25/mile penalty for going over.

These things are all bought as 3rd/4th/5th cars.  6k miles is generous.  I only put ~2k miles on my toy car, and I have more free time than the average Aston lessor.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 03:12:43 PM »

It's ridiculous and it isn't.  There's ridiculousness in driving any $100k+ car.  HOWEVER, if you take that as a given and set it aside, it becomes about how you structure the deal.  IF you're going to drive a $100k+ car, leasing it makes A LOT of sense.  First, the depreciation of these things is epic.  If you can lock in the exact amount of depreciation you are going to "buy", which is what a lease is, that's no bad thing.  Find out what happens if you ding one of these things and need to get it painted. Tens of thousands of dollars of additional depreciation.   And if the depreciation is not as bad, you are also buying a call option to buy it at the buyout price, you can keep it or flip it for profit.
Strictly out of curiosity, if you "ding" your leased luxury vehicle and it needs to be repainted, wouldn't you still have to pay thousands in 'damage' when your lease is up?  Or is that included in the lease? 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »

It's ridiculous and it isn't.  There's ridiculousness in driving any $100k+ car.  HOWEVER, if you take that as a given and set it aside, it becomes about how you structure the deal.  IF you're going to drive a $100k+ car, leasing it makes A LOT of sense.  First, the depreciation of these things is epic.  If you can lock in the exact amount of depreciation you are going to "buy", which is what a lease is, that's no bad thing.  Find out what happens if you ding one of these things and need to get it painted. Tens of thousands of dollars of additional depreciation.   And if the depreciation is not as bad, you are also buying a call option to buy it at the buyout price, you can keep it or flip it for profit.
Strictly out of curiosity, if you "ding" your leased luxury vehicle and it needs to be repainted, wouldn't you still have to pay thousands in 'damage' when your lease is up?  Or is that included in the lease?

You're on the hook to fix the damage but you aren't going to realize the tens of thousands of dollars of additional depreciation.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »

I'll rent you my $1500 Chevy sedan if you want to experience that... Drives and rides pretty good.... ;)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 08:47:35 PM »
I dated a ridiculously wealthy man with consumerist tendencies (and I was not immune to them either). While we were dating, he bought an Aston Martin. I know nothing about cars and would have thought it was a mustang if he hadn't told me otherwise. It always got comments and stares and catcalls from other drivers. And if we went someplace where men are very manly but friendly to strangers, all the manly men would come over in the parking lot and admire it. We were in it the first time I heard the word "phat" and I thought someone was just referring to how wide it was. Haha. That was late 90's or 2000.
For someone painfully shy, he seemed very comfortable with getting a lot of attention surrounding his cars or homes.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 08:53:51 PM »
For someone painfully shy, he seemed very comfortable with getting a lot of attention surrounding his cars or homes.
In case you've ever wondered why dudes with large/flashy/expensive cars/homes/watches/etc are accused of overcompensating, see your own comment for the answer. ;)

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 08:04:11 AM »
In case you've ever wondered why dudes with large/flashy/expensive cars/homes/watches/etc are accused of overcompensating, see your own comment for the answer. ;)
Eh, I'm a pretty shy and quiet dude and I hated the attention my S2000 drew. This was back in 2002+ so while they weren't Astons price wise, they were every bit the head turner. I know your comment was meant as a bit of humor, I'm just sayin not everyone fits comfortably in their pigeon holes.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »

Yeah, sad for me because I'd always dreamed of picking up a "cheap" $30k 308 QV.  Probably not going to happen.  I'm probably going to chicken out and buy an old NSX someday instead.  But even those are $$$ anymore.  Argh.  Someone doesn't want me to have a red midengined car.

For that budget you could consider a used Lotus Elise, Alfa Romeo 4C (in a few years once they get cheaper), or Porsche Cayman. All of those get reasonably good fuel economy too (2011 Elise: 21/27 mpg, 2015 4C: 24/34 mpg, 2009 Cayman PDK: 20/29 mpg). Even aside from purchase price I'd have a hard time justifying driving the 9/15 mpg Ferrari 308.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2015, 09:23:26 AM »
For that budget you could consider a used Lotus Elise, Alfa Romeo 4C (in a few years once they get cheaper), or Porsche Cayman. All of those get reasonably good fuel economy too (2011 Elise: 21/27 mpg, 2015 4C: 24/34 mpg, 2009 Cayman PDK: 20/29 mpg). Even aside from purchase price I'd have a hard time justifying driving the 9/15 mpg Ferrari 308.

I'd consider a 4C, but the other two don't do it for me over what I already have.  For the number of miles I'd put on a 308 (<2k/yr) gas mileage is irrelevant.

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2015, 06:02:39 PM »
If this is a one-off deal (i.e. a single month being possible), that's something I'd love to try at some point.