Author Topic: Article Claims Canceling Cable is "Slowly Killing You Soul!" .  (Read 10796 times)

Rpesek6904

http://studioatgawker.kinja.com/is-being-a-cheap-ass-slowly-killing-your-soul-1691781786?cvosrc=Prospecting.PaidDiscovery.DS_GE_PRO_D_PDD_OUTBRAN_GAWKSPP_NATIVEx

This is funny just because it is so freaking stupid. At least at the end they make an advertisement for a product that could be a good move for the mindless cable crowd to baby-step into canceling their cable like true Mustachians :) So, maybe it's not the worst anti-mustachian advertisement ever.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Article Claims Canceling Cable is "Slowly Killing You Soul!" .
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 07:28:58 AM »
The cable companies are rightfully really scared right now, so they are paying for articles like that one.  I don't read anything on Gawker anymore after I realized that it's just histrionic tabloid clickbait trash.  Meanwhile, I saved over $1000 last year by not paying for cable.  I pay $9/month or so for Netflix, watch sports etc. on free over-the-air TV, and share DVDs with friends instead.

Rpesek6904

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »
They totally got me with that clickbait headline about Cable :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 07:40:43 AM »
The cable companies are rightfully really scared right now, so they are paying for articles like that one.  I don't read anything on Gawker anymore after I realized that it's just histrionic tabloid clickbait trash.  Meanwhile, I saved over $1000 last year by not paying for cable.  I pay $9/month or so for Netflix, watch sports etc. on free over-the-air TV, and share DVDs with friends instead.

They're not scared enough to try improving service or offering less ridiculous rates, but have decided to throw money at online articles?  Sounds like a typical cable company response to problem.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:48:51 AM »
I'm probably $10k+ richer for having cancelled my luxury cable 4 years ago and investing the monthly payment instead. My soul feels pretty alive with respect to that decision. Plus, I have way more time to do other more enjoyable things like learning things online.

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 08:20:07 AM »
Sad thing is their comic only got to ~1/3 the annual cost. They couldn't even mKe shit up that was more expensive.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
Given the need for high speed internet and some non-over the air content, I did calculations which demonstrated it is more expensive to not have cable.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »
Using the state of the union as an example, really? That's the one thing that all OTA network broadcast.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »
Given the need for high speed internet and some non-over the air content, I did calculations which demonstrated it is more expensive to not have cable.

My high speed internet is $20 without cable. If you decide (i.e. it's not a "need") that you want to watch a lot of specific cable TV content, then cable TV might be a cheaper way than buying it separately. But it's a want not a need. And you could just watch something else for free or for cheap on Netflix or do something else not TV related.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »
Despite the fact he's having mishaps and spending money, the subject of that cartoon seems to have a more interesting life than someone who stayed at home and watched TV in many instances.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »
Despite the fact he's having mishaps and spending money, the subject of that cartoon seems to have a more interesting life than someone who stayed at home and watched TV in many instances.

You could make a show about his absurdly overspending life. It would be a sitcom.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache

My high speed internet is $20 without cable. If you decide (i.e. it's not a "need") that you want to watch a lot of specific cable TV content, then cable TV might be a cheaper way than buying it separately. But it's a want not a need. And you could just watch something else for free or for cheap on Netflix or do something else not TV related.

It's an addiction.  Therefore a need :)

Seriously, I love NHL and my wife loves the NFL.  With a bunch of games on ESPN and NFL network, the sports packages are just as costly. 

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 09:52:03 AM »
Me personally while i have "cancelled" cable I still have cable with Comcast. Having just internet with Comcast for me is $70 per month but having "Limited Basic" which is just the network channels and Internet is $50 per month. So that is what i do.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:26:47 AM »
Me personally while i have "cancelled" cable I still have cable with Comcast. Having just internet with Comcast for me is $70 per month but having "Limited Basic" which is just the network channels and Internet is $50 per month. So that is what i do.

You can negotiate and not accept their made-up pricing. My internet with Comcast is $20.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 10:30:45 AM »
Using the state of the union as an example, really? That's the one thing that all OTA network broadcast.

A lot of people seem to forget that OTA TV even exists, because everyone became addicted to cable TV in the 1990s.  I get over 40 channels OTA because I don't live too far from New York City.  I even get pro soccer matches OTA on Spanish language channels that added English commentary via SAP.  There really is no need to pay for TV (other than the price of the TV and antenna).

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 11:03:53 AM »

A lot of people seem to forget that OTA TV even exists, because everyone became addicted to cable TV in the 1990s.  I get over 40 channels OTA because I don't live too far from New York City.  I even get pro soccer matches OTA on Spanish language channels that added English commentary via SAP.  There really is no need to pay for TV (other than the price of the TV and antenna).

You still have to get the adapter for OTA Tv correct?  Is it still free from the government or do you have to pay for it now?

The government stopped giving people coupons for free digital boxes, but pretty much every TV produced in the past ten years now comes equipped with a digital tuner.  I wanted an OTA DVR box, so I got a combination digital tuner/DVR off Amazon for about $35 brand new.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 11:44:10 AM »
My TV (5 years old) has a digital tuner in it. I get some of the major sporting events like NFL, CFB, NHL, NBA, MLB, etc. I rarely watch them. If you really want more than 3 or 4 NFL games per week, you do have to pay for cable. But that only gets you 1 or 2 extra games per week. I get a handful of CFB games, but if you want to select from the dozens available, you have to pay. During the World Cup I watched the games on Univision for free. I thought the Spanish commentary was more authentic anyway :). The Olympics are available for 8 hours a day. There are tons of network shows. Really, you have to be a more extreme user of live TV or cable station-produced shows (and not be willing to just watch them later on Netflix) to have OTA and Netflix not meet your wants.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
My rabbit ears were $5 to get all this OTA content.

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 11:56:03 AM »
The pricing of the cable companies is so interesting.  How can a bundled package be less than separate items.  That is a good deal, I guess they are hoping you get hooked into their internet service and then buy the extras.  I find the internet service to be worth it, since you are also able to connect to the xFinity wifi, which can be found in other parts of cities, which cuts down on cell phone data usage.  A

This is what worries me. I think they'll just do away with all bargain high speed internet options eventually and we'll all end up paying high rates anyways. I'm not sure why the government doesn't step in on some of their anticompetitive nonsense.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 12:06:02 PM »
The pricing of the cable companies is so interesting.  How can a bundled package be less than separate items.  That is a good deal, I guess they are hoping you get hooked into their internet service and then buy the extras.  I find the internet service to be worth it, since you are also able to connect to the xFinity wifi, which can be found in other parts of cities, which cuts down on cell phone data usage.  A

This is what worries me. I think they'll just do away with all bargain high speed internet options eventually and we'll all end up paying high rates anyways. I'm not sure why the government doesn't step in on some of their anticompetitive nonsense.

Campaign contributions.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »

You can negotiate and not accept their made-up pricing. My internet with Comcast is $20.
I'll have to get you on the phone for me because that was the best I could do.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »

I'll have to get you on the phone for me because that was the best I could do.

It's a game. Do you have any competing providers in your area? What are their new customer rates?
This resource isn't always accurate but has some info that may help http://www.broadbandmap.gov/

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »
Well, using slightly different logic and values, having cable and using it excessively constitutes "slowly killing your brain".

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »
A lot of people seem to forget that OTA TV even exists, because everyone became addicted to cable TV in the 1990s.
Yup, it's clear among some people of my age group who had hundreds of channels to choose from in their childhoods. Heck, even the dorms of the local flagship state U have a cable package that's built into the price.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 07:02:01 PM »
That is a good deal from Amazon.  Do you find this to be a better option for you than buying a cable subscription?  Don't you miss the other content that cable is providing to you?

I've personally been weening myself off of TV shows and it's freed up a lot of my time to spend in ways I'm enjoying more than I would just sitting and watching some show.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »
That is a good deal from Amazon.  Do you find this to be a better option for you than buying a cable subscription?  Don't you miss the other content that cable is providing to you?

I don't really miss cable at all.  When I want to watch a show that's only available on cable -- such as "The Walking Dead" or "Sons of Anarchy", I just wait until it shows up on Netflix, which is relatively quickly after each season ends.  I paid the $35 for the DVR, because I like to record my OTA network shows and then skip the commercials.  Skipping commercials has reduced my spending by several hundred dollars a month.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 05:12:54 AM »
Reading that hideous infographic was slowly killing my soul so I closed it.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache

A lot of people seem to forget that OTA TV even exists, because everyone became addicted to cable TV in the 1990s.
Yup, it's clear among some people of my age group who had hundreds of channels to choose from in their childhoods. Heck, even the dorms of the local flagship state U have a cable package that's built into the price.

I think that is because much of the talked about content is from non-OTA sources.  Even netflix and Amazon have their own stuff. 

I know OTA exists and I can get some sports over it.  But what I also know is the specific games I would want to watch (hockey playoffs, for example) are not. 

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 07:35:32 AM »
I was not aware that my soul in any way depended upon television.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »

"Verily, it is harder for a man without cable to enter the Kingdom of Heaven ..." -- Jesus Christ (he actually said that!)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 09:26:22 AM »

"Verily, it is harder for a man without cable to enter the Kingdom of Heaven ..." -- Jesus Christ (he actually said that!)

We just covered that passage yesterday. I go to the Church of Christ Consumerist.

Fastfwd

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
I used to hate xmas for as far as I can remember. Then I cut the cable. It turns out that I hated ads and xmas music. My life is much better now during the month of December.
Now how do I get glasses that filter out all ads on billboards?

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 12:56:19 PM »
I have not had cable for years.  My soul obviously died a long time ago.  The rest of me is perking along learning to enjoy all kinds of new music on the stereo I am slowly rebuilding and studying history via all the audio and ebooks I get from the library.  The Hub and I often spend our camping trips weeping over the state of our souls and begging people in RVs to let us in to restore them by watching their cable.  Sometimes especially kind people let us chew on the Cable Guide.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »

Move to Vermont.  Billboards are outlawed there.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 01:22:05 PM »

Move to Vermont.  Billboards are outlawed there.

Really? Wow, what a great state.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »
I have not had cable for years.  My soul obviously died a long time ago.  The rest of me is perking along learning to enjoy all kinds of new music on the stereo I am slowly rebuilding and studying history via all the audio and ebooks I get from the library.  The Hub and I often spend our camping trips weeping over the state of our souls and begging people in RVs to let us in to restore them by watching their cable.  Sometimes especially kind people let us chew on the Cable Guide.

Haha!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!