Author Topic: Anti-mustachian Christmas Shame & Comedy  (Read 9169 times)

Torran

• Bristles
Anti-mustachian Christmas Shame & Comedy
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:05:33 AM »
Please re-direct me if this already exists - couldn't spot it.

So Christmas, always a time for crazy consumerism, appears to be getting more ridiculous every year.

Ways that you may be relieved of your burdensome cash this Christmas season:

The new trend for 'beauty' advent calendars, some costing several hundred pounds.
I see that as a way for companies to package up and re-sell old crap, and also, make people buy tiny sample sizes at a hugely inflated price.
Ofcourse the marketing is so intense, I almost, grudgingly, respect the marketing people for it. Pushed as both a luxury and a Christmas 'essential'.

The idea of getting a whole new set of tree decorations every year, with a theme.
John Lewis (I'm in the UK) seem to have sets with themes for their decorations. One is almost entirely pink and silver, lots of baubles that look like telephones and cakes and cameras. So specific and trendy, it's guaranteed to look weird and 'unfashionable' by next year.

westtoeast

• Bristles
Re: Anti-mustachian Christmas Shame & Comedy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
Ooh, I have something to contribute here. My teacher's union sent out a holiday gift catalog full of "payment plan" gifts. The items range from cheap kid's toy sets to computers and cameras, but each is offered for a "low monthly payment," often as low as $2 per month. The repayment terms are usually two years, which means one would still be paying off this year's gifts during the holidays next year. Yikes. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
^ that's one way to ensure the holiday spirit doesn't end on Dec 26th.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »
Ooh, I have something to contribute here. My teacher's union sent out a holiday gift catalog full of "payment plan" gifts. The items range from cheap kid's toy sets to computers and cameras, but each is offered for a "low monthly payment," often as low as $2 per month. The repayment terms are usually two years, which means one would still be paying off this year's gifts during the holidays next year. Yikes.
Dear god that is gross.

I'm just happy that this year I saw someone with Thanksgiving decorations on their house *before* I saw the first house with Christmas shit up already.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 12:17:12 PM »
The 'how to decorate your tree in this year's color scheme' articles. ARGH. Why yes. What I REALLY want to do at Christmas is buy all-new ornaments every year. WTF.

What happened to 'box of ornaments you'd bring out year after year and eventually pass their favorites on to the kids'??

For the record: when we got our first Christmas tree, 4-5 years ago, we spent our (limited) holiday decor budget on lights and a tree stand, and had basically no money for oranaments. So we had dried orange slices (3 oranges, sliced thin and baked at low heat, go a long way), pinecones hung on big colorful bows (yay scrap fabric bag), small white animals (... dollar store bags of animals for 1$, painted white with leftover paint and strung using yarn and a bent nail), some large brass jingle bells (cut off a HIDEOUS goodwill wreath and hung on ribbons)... We might've spent 5$ on supplies, and we still hang most of those in the tree every year. The toddler is ESPECIALLY a fan of the animals. It's a rustic look, but we also decorate with antiques and live in the country, so it suits us just fine. And every year we make an extra few ornaments, and occasionally buy one, but... yearly color schemes? WTF?

(For the record: I follow design blogs because I like living in a beautiful space but I have a very limited budget for decor, and inspiration+woodworking+sewing skills goes a long way. This type of article makes me regret it...)

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 12:33:39 PM »
The 'how to decorate your tree in this year's color scheme' articles. ARGH. Why yes. What I REALLY want to do at Christmas is buy all-new ornaments every year. WTF.

What happened to 'box of ornaments you'd bring out year after year and eventually pass their favorites on to the kids'??

For the record: when we got our first Christmas tree, 4-5 years ago, we spent our (limited) holiday decor budget on lights and a tree stand, and had basically no money for oranaments. So we had dried orange slices (3 oranges, sliced thin and baked at low heat, go a long way), pinecones hung on big colorful bows (yay scrap fabric bag), small white animals (... dollar store bags of animals for 1$, painted white with leftover paint and strung using yarn and a bent nail), some large brass jingle bells (cut off a HIDEOUS goodwill wreath and hung on ribbons)... We might've spent 5$ on supplies, and we still hang most of those in the tree every year. The toddler is ESPECIALLY a fan of the animals. It's a rustic look, but we also decorate with antiques and live in the country, so it suits us just fine. And every year we make an extra few ornaments, and occasionally buy one, but... yearly color schemes? WTF?

(For the record: I follow design blogs because I like living in a beautiful space but I have a very limited budget for decor, and inspiration+woodworking+sewing skills goes a long way. This type of article makes me regret it...)

Just wanna say, your christmas tree sounds like the loveliest christmas tree ever! What a beautiful mix of stuff!

Creative tree decorating for the win.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »
Posting to follow

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 12:29:38 AM »
Isn't christmas just a whole month of anti-mustachian lunacy? The decorations have gone up in our local stores and all kinds of adult (booze, wine, beer) christmas calendars are for sale for outrageous prices.

Toys are everywhere you go and I suspect helpless kids are being carpet bombed with commercials for this and that toy.

Personally this is my least favorite time of the year. The only good thing about it is that I got my family to drop all gifts, except those for the children (anyone under 18 or in college).

Now we just cook a duck, share some great wines and enjoy the evening. That's a really nice way to spend christmas in this rainy country.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 02:41:47 AM »
Isn't christmas just a whole month of anti-mustachian lunacy? The decorations have gone up in our local stores and all kinds of adult (booze, wine, beer) christmas calendars are for sale for outrageous prices.

Toys are everywhere you go and I suspect helpless kids are being carpet bombed with commercials for this and that toy.

Personally this is my least favorite time of the year. The only good thing about it is that I got my family to drop all gifts, except those for the children (anyone under 18 or in college).

Now we just cook a duck, share some great wines and enjoy the evening. That's a really nice way to spend christmas in this rainy country.

That sounds lovely. I actually LOVE Christmas and probably drive everyone around me crazy. But I find a lot of it quite gross nowadays. The adult advent calendars has really set me off on a an anti-consumerist rant this year!

Making things, doing things (all the rituals), and having some quiet chilled out time at home = perfect Christmas. Maybe I should change this thread to 'your perfect mustachian christmas' :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 05:29:46 AM »

That sounds lovely. I actually LOVE Christmas and probably drive everyone around me crazy. But I find a lot of it quite gross nowadays. The adult advent calendars has really set me off on a an anti-consumerist rant this year!

Making things, doing things (all the rituals), and having some quiet chilled out time at home = perfect Christmas. Maybe I should change this thread to 'your perfect mustachian christmas' :)

Hahaha do iiiit. :)

I adore Christmas. But, really... it doesn't have to be about money. Like, ok, we're lucky, we live next to a woodlot owned by my in-laws and can go chop down a tree. We have lights for the tree and a tree stand. Every year I make a few ornaments (this year I'm cutting up a slightly moth-eaten cashmere sweater for kid mittens, and the scraps I'll sew into white stars to hang in the tree. I've also got plans for making pinecone elves with the toddler, because she loves pine cones and we went to gather them together). The rest is all... candles that I make, wreaths we make from pine clippings and ribbons, etc. Like I ranted before, who on earth buys all-new decor each year, it's ludicrous.

Presents are affordable (mostly), and either handmade or put-together gift baskets based on personal interests (we have an extensive gifting list; we should come in under 500$ for 23 people, including our kid, with gifts that suit the recipient and don't look cheap).

Gatherings are... good family, good food, good wine. It's not compicated, and we all cook, so... excellent food, none of that catered nonsense, actually semi-affordable (I host Christmas Eve with my in-laws, and we do traditional Québécois food.... last year, tourtiere, cretons, fresh bread, 3 salads. Worked out, ingredients-wise, to less than 40$ for a fancy meal for 12 - which, frankly, is the cost of an average dinner party, give or take 10$. Add a bottle of wine, some booze-free punch, and cookies for dessert, and we're set). So... good food, carols on the piano or radio, fireplace, pretty candles and decor, sledding before dinner, usually church but not this year (minister has been getting progressively more preachy and I'm not putting myself or my daughter through that. I told everyone else they could go and meet us after, and they all looked super relieved at the prospect of skipping entirely). ALL of that is very Christmassy. NONE of it costs money.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:32:17 AM by Kitsune »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 05:35:50 AM »

Nah, leave this one for us to rant in.  And start another one that is 'your perfect mustachian Christmas' :)  With maybe a link from here?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
Please - some ideas would be welcomed! Start the parallel idea thread please. 

We finally got to the gifts for the kids only rule with the extended family. It took about 15 years to get there but the rest of the family is agreeing "we have enough stuff" finally.

We came home with stuff from extended family last year that didn't fit in our house. (air hockey table)

W have effectively removed the advertising mechanism from our lives so that we don't have anything much we want. ;)

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
Ok dokay, I'll leave this thread here for any antimustachian christmas crackers and start a new one for the Full On Mustache Christmas :)

So many christmassy things can and should cost nothing - I agree! *Sets off home-made glitter bomb* So is it December yet?

jjandjab

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
We are a couple of mid-40s folks - who used to be the the anti-mustachian Christmas poster kids (well, except never any credit card or other debt, I guess) - happy to have found MMM this year and seeing that so many others are happy to live without spending a ton of money.

After about 40 years of being either part of, or willing participants in, the American Christmas excess I am happy to report the move is underfoot in our house to just celebrate time with family and dramatically reduce and/or remove the crazy consumerism that is now the norm...

We will likely do new phones for our kids (all older teens), but that would be it. Trust me, that is a far cry from the craziness we would do every year of trying to make sure every kids pile is about the same, and worrying about whether one of the kids will notice they "only" have 14 gifts and the other two have 15 - "should we run back out to the store?!?" that would occur at 6pm on Christmas Eve... And we are talking multiple $1000s each Christmas season (we could easily "afford" it, but it was crazy)

My parents were well-to-do self made business people and they spoiled my siblings and I big time in th 80s,  although I think eventually we are no worse the wear for it (we all live within our means, although not really MMM style yet - getting there...). My wife and the in-laws were same, if not worse.

But about 10 years ago it started for me anyway - I was in my medical residency with three kids and it seemed liked all of our free time we would pick up and put away their crap somewhere in our small house that was always overrun with junk toys. On Christmas in our last year in that house, my in-laws literally filled half of our den with presents - they completely stuffed two cars - including a gas-guzzling SUV of course - to get to our house... This was on top of the presents we got them, along with the rest of the extended family. We literally had to park outside the rest of the winter in snowy upstate NY as we filled our garage with toys and other gifts...

Over the past 10 years I think we finally have it under control and our kids are happy with that. They can remember one or two special things they got over those years, but easily can remember all the different activities and family time and trips we took. 

One major challenge left. The mother-in-law. It is the biggest challenge of her life! I have told her and my wife over and over I want nothing, I repeat "NOTHING" for Christmas when they come to our house this year, nothing but for them to be at our house and relax and enjoy.

Her response to us "I honestly don't know if I can do that - I've already got six gifts for him I bought and put away months ago." Ugh... We will see how it goes!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:31:57 PM by jjandjab »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I need to talk to my parents. Last year was insane. I really have no idea where it came from, it was so over the top. My sister I think agrees with me, so just a matter of reining in the parents.

appleblossom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 10:52:24 PM »
My sister in law sent an email suggesting that we do this for Christmas lunch https://www.myfoodbag.co.nz/christmas
Its a hamper of ingredients and recipes that you cook the set menu yourself, but it is over $30 a head!
We could get sooo much more and better food for that.

Thankfully we are doing Christmas with them on 18th and the hampers don't come until after that, so I could avoid being the bad guy and say no. Plus I don't particularly like the menu.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 04:24:57 AM »
Even "gifts just for the kids" sucks.

We finally convinced my SIL to take the cousins on a fun outing a few days before Xmas instead of exchanging gifts. Yay!

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 05:58:40 AM »
I've never seen the beauty advent calendars, but I do want to say that we got the chocolate ones when I was little and I remember it being a blast. My sisters and I took turns opening the little doors...a very fond Christmas memory. But those aren't terribly expensive.

These days I haven't quite made it to the 'no gifting' side -- I love giving people things that I'm positive they'll use (and when I say use I mostly mean eat). Last year bf and I took a trip to Mexico together and that was our gift to each other.

For my craft-gifts, Christmas is a convenient deadline to help me actually finish some of the projects I start :)

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »
Our work secret santa does not only involve exchanging gifts, but we also have to buy candies, chips or treats for 1-2 weeks prior to gift-giving.

I tried my best and got to reduce the two weeks to 5 days u_u

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »
We did a "Dirty Santa" (their name) game at work last year. Everyone brings a gift below some cost and then everyone draws a number. First person chooses a gift. Second person can choose a gift from the pile or take the first person's gift. First person can then choose another gift. Later in the game a person whose gift was taken can then take a new gift from the pile or take another person's gift.

Fun but when a gift is "extra good" people feud a little over it b/c they want it. Sometimes funny, sometimes a bit stressful.

Not a big deal if we remind ourselves that none of these gifts are worth more than ~$10. If someone likes it so much, they should buy one later.

Wife's group does Secret Santa.

Both groups do a luncheon.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 09:58:32 AM »
Colleague: "Oh, I have to pay off more of my credit card this month, or there won't be space on it for my Christmas shopping! I need to start buying decorations!"

*headdesk*

Merry Christmas, have some interest payments.

EarlThePearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 10:09:50 AM »
At work, we do a Yankee Swap (draw numbers and get to steal lower numbered peoples presents)-- but you have to bring in something from your house that you NEVER WANT TO SEE AGAIN. It's very funny and people bring in crazy stuff and everyone has a good laugh. Sometimes gifts reappear from previous years.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »
The new trend for 'beauty' advent calendars, some costing several hundred pounds.
I see that as a way for companies to package up and re-sell old crap, and also, make people buy tiny sample sizes at a hugely inflated price.
I saw that at TJ Maxx the other day (which means it was left over from last Christmas), and I thought it was really weird.  How could the makers of the product know my skin tone, skin type, and preferences?  I can't imagine I'd actually want /use the majority of the items in such a product. 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 01:25:31 PM »
I adore Christmas. But, really... it doesn't have to be about money. Like, ok, we're lucky, we live next to a woodlot owned by my in-laws and can go chop down a tree. We have lights for the tree and a tree stand. Every year I make a few ornaments (this year I'm cutting up a slightly moth-eaten cashmere sweater for kid mittens, and the scraps I'll sew into white stars to hang in the tree. I've also got plans for making pinecone elves with the toddler, because she loves pine cones and we went to gather them together). The rest is all... candles that I make, wreaths we make from pine clippings and ribbons, etc. Like I ranted before, who on earth buys all-new decor each year, it's ludicrous.

Presents are affordable (mostly), and either handmade or put-together gift baskets based on personal interests (we have an extensive gifting list; we should come in under 500$ for 23 people, including our kid, with gifts that suit the recipient and don't look cheap).

Gatherings are... good family, good food, good wine. It's not compicated, and we all cook, so... excellent food, none of that catered nonsense, actually semi-affordable (I host Christmas Eve with my in-laws, and we do traditional Québécois food.... last year, tourtiere, cretons, fresh bread, 3 salads. Worked out, ingredients-wise, to less than 40$ for a fancy meal for 12 - which, frankly, is the cost of an average dinner party, give or take 10$. Add a bottle of wine, some booze-free punch, and cookies for dessert, and we're set). So... good food, carols on the piano or radio, fireplace, pretty candles and decor, sledding before dinner, usually church but not this year (minister has been getting progressively more preachy and I'm not putting myself or my daughter through that. I told everyone else they could go and meet us after, and they all looked super relieved at the prospect of skipping entirely). ALL of that is very Christmassy. NONE of it costs money.
Except that we are artificial tree people, I could say much the same thing -- we love Christmas but don't over-do the consumer side; rather, we have a great time with family (pot luck dinners), and we focus on the "reason for the season":  Jesus.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »
At work, we do a Yankee Swap (draw numbers and get to steal lower numbered peoples presents)-- but you have to bring in something from your house that you NEVER WANT TO SEE AGAIN. It's very funny and people bring in crazy stuff and everyone has a good laugh. Sometimes gifts reappear from previous years.
We have a great tradition at our office:  The week before Christmas, we all bring food to share for lunch -- and that's "our gift" to each other.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 11:27:33 AM »
Tagging on to kitsunes post but too lazy to quote or look for another thread.

One Christmas when I was working in retail, living alone and couldn't travel to see family, I was jonesing for a tree but too tired to go all out. I bought a real tree and just stuffed the branches with a ton of fake hydrangeas that I'd bought for $5 when our store's display department cleaned out their workroom. No ornaments, no lights, but it took my breath away every time I dragged myself home and opened the door. A real tree wasn't a necessary expenditure, but it was unexpectedly beautiful and made me enormously happy at a difficult time.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »
Good news everyone! According to the emails I just received I can get great deals on the pre-pre-Black Friday sales events!  Also, my wife was despondent to discover that since we're still a week away from Thanksgiving, the grocery store has pulled the last of their "pumpkin-spice" whatevers and started putting out pink colored peppermint whatevers since the Christmas season now officially starts on November 17th.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 10:18:38 AM »
^^LOL^^