Author Topic: Apparently buying a smaller car is not an option  (Read 13542 times)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Apparently buying a smaller car is not an option
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »
Popular Mechanics identifies a number of expensive ways to solve a lack of common sense and planning ahead:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/what-to-do-if-your-car-doesnt-fit-in-your-garage/ar-BBpqP7d?li=BBnbfcL

Last line:  "But if all else fails, you could just move."

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Apparently buying a smaller car is not an option
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 09:26:01 PM »
Why would anyone want to park in the garage? That's where you're supposed to store your fabulous Black Friday finds!

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:06:27 PM »
Hah. Our vans just *barely* fit in our garage. I'm talking about 3 inches of space when pressed against the wall. We solve the space issue by only parking mine indoors during winter.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 05:11:48 AM »
We solved this "problem" by not building a garage. It's not like one would hold the backhoe, anyway, and it's our most expensive machine. Good thing stuff dries out after a rain.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 06:03:35 AM »
A garaged truck. Bwahahaha.

Idiots.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »
-25C and snow and ice?  A garage, or at least something to keep the weather off, is a good idea.  A truck bed isn't much use with 2 feet of snow in it.  Or spending 20 minutes clearing off the windshield.

Location, location, location, I know.

Idiots.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »
Would like to have a carport at least. Garage big enough to get in and out comfortably without displacing home shop projects would be nice i.e. I want a detached garage for projects.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 04:34:36 AM »
I don't put my car in the garage. the bike live in the garage instead.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »
It is kind of funny how small garage sizes are.  The house with "2 car garage" that I bought, well, it's a good thing I have 2 small sportscars because there's no way you'd get 2 normal sized "practical" cars in...  I have to wedge my 2 sports cars in at an angle to get them both in.  I was doing some work on a friend's normal sized car in the garage one (very cold) day, we had to not just remove both of my cars, but also my workbench.  The nose of his car was touching the wall and the tail was about an inch from the garage door!

It's really funny because the house was built in the early '60's when cars were in general much longer.  I have no clue how any car from that era ever fit in this garage!  :-)

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »
It is kind of funny how small garage sizes are.  The house with "2 car garage" that I bought, well, it's a good thing I have 2 small sportscars because there's no way you'd get 2 normal sized "practical" cars in...  I have to wedge my 2 sports cars in at an angle to get them both in.  I was doing some work on a friend's normal sized car in the garage one (very cold) day, we had to not just remove both of my cars, but also my workbench.  The nose of his car was touching the wall and the tail was about an inch from the garage door!

It's really funny because the house was built in the early '60's when cars were in general much longer.  I have no clue how any car from that era ever fit in this garage!  :-)

Practically, subtract 1 and add "stuff".

1 car garage = stuff
2 car garage = 1 car and stuff

Anecdotal: My former coworker had a 1960s Volvo, and that car was really narrow. Like no center consul narrow. Maybe garages back then were only built for this Volvo?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 11:32:08 AM »

We just moved out of a house built in 1959 that had a 2 car garage. It was tight, but manageable, with two Civics. I was left scratching my head at how anyone could conceivably fit two 60s land yachts in there. It was then that I realized the house I grew up in had a 2.5 car garage, which makes a massive difference for being able to get in and out with a small child.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
My first house was built in '07, had a wider 2-car garage (normal 2-car door + ~2' on either side) and I could comfortably fit two cars, and garbage cans on one side and lawn mower/snowblower on the other.

My current house was built in '59, and the "2 car" garage added at a later date.  It has the same size door, and on one side it has about 2' extra, but on the other the overhead door basically ends where the wall is, no side space at all.  It is enough room for my wife's small CUV (think Honda CRV) and my sports car.  In my old house I stored the sports car off site in the winter so I could put my sedan in the garage, in the new house I don't bother because the sedan and CUV won't both fit, at least not in a way that lets the doors open comfortably, etc.  Fortunately the house also came with a shed, so all the big lawn stuff goes in there, and I just have a work bench, tool box and extra fridge at the front of the garage.  But neither of our cars could be any larger and still go in the garage (fortunately keeping my wife from getting a larger CUV/SUV). 

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 06:43:56 AM »
Oh my, this might be the one. This might actually be the most absurd article I've ever read.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
My Buick Roadmaster Wagon doesn't fit in my garage.  I laughed pretty hard when I figured that out after moving in.  It's just too damn long.  One-car garage built in the 50s.  Didn't everyone drive giant American cars in the 50s?

Luckily, my Chevy Metro fits with room to spare.

TooManyGuitars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 04:22:40 PM »
"Structurally, it's not feasible to raise the roof of your garage, but if you've got no alternative, then you could lower the floor. You would then find a gap where the garage door ends, but hey-at least your truck would fit."

My boss actually did this last year to make room for his new Land Rover Defender.  Although I think he also bought a new garage door to fit it.  Amazing.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 06:43:23 AM »
When we were younger and poorer, we used to park the cars / trucks outdoors and had to deal with getting into frozen vehicles in the winter, scraping snow, etc.
It's so nice to just get into a warm vehicle, open the overhead door and take off.  Also keeps your automobiles much cleaner and makes them last longer.

My full size pickup will get in a 9' wide door but it's real tight.  Really need a 10' wide door and about 26'-28' of length to comfortably park a full size pickup or SUV and have a little clearance on both ends.

We have a few friends that have nice garages, but they are so full of junk, that their vehicles sit outdoors anyway.  Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 07:23:43 AM »
We have a 2 car garage and it would never fit 2 cars along with any other items at all. We had 2 cars in there for a bit and it only worked because we didn't actually drive one and so could cram the junk in around it. Now with the number of bikes we have, it would never work. But at least theoretically they fit in the building. I went out with a guy who owned this enormous truck and a small 50s-era house, and his truck literally would not physically fit in the garage.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 12:34:21 PM »
Also keeps your automobiles much cleaner and makes them last longer.

We have a few friends that have nice garages, but they are so full of junk, that their vehicles sit outdoors anyway.  Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Lasting longer may depend on the environment.  I've done some interesting reading on how garaged vehicles up North where salt is used don't last as long.  Warm starts are obviously easier on the engine, but apparently warming the body up again each night, after being exposed to salt on the commute, in the garage accelerates the rusting process.

Yeah, I can't understand how someone can accumulate so much junk that the vehicles have to sit outside.  Ridiculous indeed.  If you want to store a bunch of junk, build a shed since so much of the garage stuff people never use anyways.

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
-25C and snow and ice?  A garage, or at least something to keep the weather off, is a good idea.  A truck bed isn't much use with 2 feet of snow in it.  Or spending 20 minutes clearing off the windshield.

Idiots.

I've lived my entire life in Canada, most people don't have garages and do just fine at -25 or with a foot or two of snow.

Anyway, you rarely get the two at the same time, and, even then, only a few times a year won't kill you.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »
My house was built in 1954 and the garage feels small. I keep stuff pretty minimal in my life, so the car does fit (Ford Escape) but it is a tight fit. I love having my car warm and dry in the winter.

I guess cars, like garages, houses, and people sizes in the US are all getting bigger.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 04:19:35 PM »
I've had both living situations, and garage is better.  I'm talking southwestern Quebec, southeastern Ontario.   I did mention location is a factor, after all.  Around here, people with no garage usually put up a tempo for winter, it matters that much.  I was extremely glad to have the garage when we had the big ice storm (winter of 1998). 

I always parked outside at work (no choice), and lots of days it could easily take 20-30 minutes to get the car clear after work.  If I lived someplace that always had dry powder snow that took 2 minutes to get off the car, then the garage would be no big deal.  The garage is also nice in summer, the car is not scorching hot when I get in.  Hot yes, but not scorching.  Also not bird pooped on.  My garage is not attached, not heated, so the car is still at ambient temperature.

And of course I can use my garage (to get back on topic) because 1. the car isn't huge, and 2. I make sure the garage is not over-full.

Idiots.

I've lived my entire life in Canada, most people don't have garages and do just fine at -25 or with a foot or two of snow.

Anyway, you rarely get the two at the same time, and, even then, only a few times a year won't kill you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:21:18 PM by RetiredAt63 »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 08:32:18 PM »
There's a security benefit to keeping a vehicle in the garage. People casing the neighborhood can't tell, at a glance, whether you're home or not. Nor is it easy to see what kind of vehicle you drive, which some people might extrapolate to make a guess about what kind of items might be inside the house and worth stealing.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 09:53:04 PM »
Burglary of Motor Vehicle is the most common crime where I live. I sleep better knowing mine is in garage at night and all the windows will still be intact in the morning.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 08:33:27 AM »
There's a security benefit to keeping a vehicle in the garage. People casing the neighborhood can't tell, at a glance, whether you're home or not. Nor is it easy to see what kind of vehicle you drive, which some people might extrapolate to make a guess about what kind of items might be inside the house and worth stealing.
Just another reason to keep parking our crappy-looking 1999 and 1992 cars outside! :D

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »
The real solution is to get some tennis balls and hang them from the ceiling like my grandparents did :)  DH and I totally have those, and my sister makes fun of us for our "old people balls", but it leaves us room on both sides and the fronts of our cars for bikes and a workbench.  Really I'm just terrible at parking straight without a guide.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 09:58:10 AM »
Just another reason to keep parking our crappy-looking 1999 and 1992 cars outside! :D

If you don't care about what happens to the window, the seats, the stereo, the change you keep in your cup holder, and whether the vehicle is there the next morning... go for it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »

If you don't care about what happens to the window, the seats, the stereo, the change you keep in your cup holder, and whether the vehicle is there the next morning... go for it.
We've been having a rash of break-ins in our town.  Based on comments on FB pages.

I'd say that 90% of them are when people did not lock their cars.
Of the other 10%, most of them left things like laptops, phones, iPads, in full view.
Luckily most of them have not hit my neighborhood - yet - although they are really close.

We don't have a garage.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
At some point we'll be getting a garage- motorcycles parked on the curb are not really a good idea.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 01:20:24 PM »
So true.  Our first house did not have a garage, and one night 3 cars in our neighbourhood (including our car) had the car sound system stolen.  The thief had our whole radio disassembled on the driver's seat, and the passenger door was not quite closed.  The cops thought that the thief left (very carefully not shutting the door all the way because we might hear) when he heard us in the back yard putting the dog out for the last trip of the evening.  We were lucky, some people had high end stereos stolen.

Making the house look lived in when you are not there is said to be important re home thefts.  I like having the car in the garage, so it is not obvious whether I am home or not.  Same for winter holidays, the neighbour not only checks my house, she drives her car over (out her driveway and into mine) so that there are fresh tire tracks in the snow on the driveway.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »
Every single house on my block has at least one car in the driveway, including us (two car garage, three cars, most houses have a single car garage).  I've parked a car in my driveway for about 4.5 years, never  had a problem.  Knock on wood, but no one else seems to either.  Occasionally high school kids will TP each others cars and such, but they don't know me so no one messes with my car. 

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 10:05:17 AM »
It's very hit or miss.  I've never had a car broken into.  For years I parked in the driveway.  Neighbors had their cars broken into though.  I've also had to leave the cars overnight in really sketchy areas before too, but nothing ever happens to mine.  My wife in her nice apartment had her car broken into quite a number of times.  The worst part is that they leave the doors wide open when they're done.  So the battery is low and the car is full of water/snow the next morning when you find out.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
I really don't like my after-market stereo, so aside from the hassle of installing a new one, filling out a police report, and taking care of the broken glass, I wouldn't mind someone nicking it.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2016, 03:22:55 PM »
When my hubby worked in a really bad neighborhood at night he never locked the car. He did not keep anything in it and wanted them to be able to open the door instead of breaking the window. It worked like a charm and it was one of the few vehicles that never had his windows broken.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »
Why would anyone want to park in the garage? That's where you're supposed to store your fabulous Black Friday finds!

Oh, it's funny because it's true! It's true of most everyone on our block, and in our neighborhood. The article reminds me of this research from UCLA which, when I heard the 75% figure referenced while driving, nearly sent me off the road:
http://magazine.ucla.edu/features/the-clutter-culture/index1.html

"The researchers found that cars have been banished from 75 percent of garages to make way for rejected furniture and cascading bins and boxes of mostly forgotten household goods."

We have a very small one-car garage, but manage to fit a small chest freezer, two Metro shelving units, a small work bench area for my woodworking, and our Mini Convertible. We are nothing short of a miracle on our block. When I'm working in the garage, people wander in, look at me like I'm an alien, and marvel that it's so clean... before suggesting we get a bigger car or buy more crap. Couldn't make it up if I tried.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 04:03:30 PM »
Back when I was thinking of getting a un-mustaschian "big a** car" for DW,
I then wondered, what is the limit of my garage?

Turns out, we COULD have fit a Maybach 62 (named after the fact that it is 6.2meter = 20.3ft long) in our garage.
  Just barely.

Fortunately, before my plan was implemented, DW bought a Chevy HHR from the MIL for cheap.
DW is happier with the HHR.   Catastrophe avoided...

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »
Count us as part of the minority that parks both cars in the garage, and has a storage rack for the normal garage accessories, like tools and chemicals.  When we moved in, it was my goal to have nothing on the floor, so that sweeping would be an easy task.  We had already started the building process before we realized that the 66 Cutlass, which is about 16' long, might not fit in either garage bay.  Thankfully, we were wrong.  It's a tight squeeze front to back, but side to side, no issues on parking or getting in/out.  Most people are shocked that we park two cars and how clean it is!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »

Oh, it's funny because it's true! It's true of most everyone on our block, and in our neighborhood. The article reminds me of this research from UCLA which, when I heard the 75% figure referenced while driving, nearly sent me off the road:
http://magazine.ucla.edu/features/the-clutter-culture/index1.html

"The researchers found that cars have been banished from 75 percent of garages to make way for rejected furniture and cascading bins and boxes of mostly forgotten household goods."

We have a very small one-car garage, but manage to fit a small chest freezer, two Metro shelving units, a small work bench area for my woodworking, and our Mini Convertible. We are nothing short of a miracle on our block. When I'm working in the garage, people wander in, look at me like I'm an alien, and marvel that it's so clean... before suggesting we get a bigger car or buy more crap. Couldn't make it up if I tried.
We live in a "mixed" neighborhood - housing built in the 20's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's.  Plus some redo's even more recent (doubling the size).

So a "typical" house is about 2BR, 1BA, with a small single-car garage.  I would say that our car would fit in them, (Civic/ Matrix), but not anything much bigger than that.  Maybe 1/3 of the homes are this category.  Several houses, like ours, have no garage.

So most of the garages are used for storage.  At least it's CA, with decent weather.

But I'd also say that maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of of the homes have 2 car garages - these were the remodels, mostly, and the 60s homes.  And they don't have cars in them either! (My neighbor has 3 cars, and a 2 car garage, and does not park his cars in his garage).  On occasion I will drive up the street when the garage doors are open, packed. to. the. gills.

Plus some of the homes have converted the garage to living space.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2016, 01:40:36 PM »
One of my pet peeves is people complaining about street parking but not using their garage.

I think that most general zoning and building regulations state that homes must have a certain number of parking spots &/or a garage.

When people do not use their parking spots on their own land, street parking becomes very congested and contentious.

Does anyone know of a place that actually tries to enforce that you use your own driveway or garage?  Or at least keep those 2 spots clean and open for parking.

I know some places charge for residents to have on street parking permits, that could become expensive and encourage people to use their own spots.  Do you have any idea what these resident street parking stickers cost if you have them in your area?

Currently debating many parking issues in my neighbourhood and I am happy to hear some other comments.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »

Does anyone know of a place that actually tries to enforce that you use your own driveway or garage?  Or at least keep those 2 spots clean and open for parking.

In some neighborhoods the neighbors love to call the city when a vehicle has not been moved in X days. I lived in a neighborhood like that and with 4 roommates and only driveway parking for one, it was a pain when I had to be gone for work a week straight.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »
One of my pet peeves is people complaining about street parking but not using their garage.

I think that most general zoning and building regulations state that homes must have a certain number of parking spots &/or a garage.

When people do not use their parking spots on their own land, street parking becomes very congested and contentious.

I know some places charge for residents to have on street parking permits, that could become expensive and encourage people to use their own spots.  Do you have any idea what these resident street parking stickers cost if you have them in your area?

Currently debating many parking issues in my neighbourhood and I am happy to hear some other comments.
My town doesn't enforce using the driveway or garage, though if they get a call, they will tow you if you haven't moved in 3 days.  First you get a warning ticket, then they tow you 24 hours later.  (Yes, I made that call once).

The problem in my town is that people have too many cars.   Even those with garages. 
One house, 2 drivers, 4 cars, one spot in driveway, garage too small for any of them.
One house, 1 driver, 1 motorcyle, 2 SUVs and a car
One house, 2 drivers, garage converted to living space, one parking spot

Our house is required to have 2 off street spaces and they MUST BE BLOCKED FROM VIEW (hence the hedge).  This is only really enforced when the house is sold.  They don't make me park there.  For awhile I parked on the street because other neighbors kept parking in front of my house in their big ass SUVs and then I couldn't see to pull out (one car was totaled that way).

Certain areas of our town do have parking permits (more "downtown" where there is less parking). 

20 years ago when I lived in the DC area, my parking permit was $30.  I never bought one, but did get a few tickets.

Looks like permits in my town right now are $20.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2016, 02:59:50 PM »
We're one of those families *hangs head sheepishly*.  H has taken over the 2-car garage for his tools.  He's kind of a wimp when it comes to working in small spaces.

In his defense, he's an industrial mechanic with many hobbies, from home remodeling to welding to auto repair to woodworking.  Also, his tools are generally secondhand and used often.  He can and does fix just about everything and enjoys doing it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »
I have a Camry and it barely fits in the garage (meaning that it fits fine, but it's a pain to open the doors and get out, and to move alongside it to get to the door. I've gotten used to it. It does suck when I'm trying to take out the trash during winter, but this is purely first-world problems.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »
My parents are smart--when they built their home almost 30 years ago, they specified a 20' wide garage door, to make sure they could park in the garage :)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »
Some many houses built with those "token" features.

It has a garage but too small for the average pair of vehicles. It has a porch but a purely decorative thing too small for three or four people to sit on. It has a dining room (our house) that would never be able to host a holiday meal with a half dozen people and the table required to do it.

Give us fewer rooms so that the remaining rooms can be more versatile.

I remember my grandparents' home which had a living room and a den. The living room was important to my grandmother of course. It was the era.

It was formal and not very comfortable.

Their house would have been so much more comfortable if the spaces were assembled differently (easily done in a remodel) so that the sq footage of the living room and den were shared.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
Some many houses built with those "token" features.

It has a garage but too small for the average pair of vehicles. It has a porch but a purely decorative thing too small for three or four people to sit on. It has a dining room (our house) that would never be able to host a holiday meal with a half dozen people and the table required to do it.
So much truth in this statement.  Our house has a 3 car garage.  The 3rd bay, which was an optional extra from the builder, is two feet shorter than the rest of the garage.  You can technically fit a car in it, but you won't be able to open the door to get out, nor walk around the car.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
Noooo, you don't understand.  That third bay is for the big lawn tractor you absolutely have to have.

So much truth in this statement.  Our house has a 3 car garage.  The 3rd bay, which was an optional extra from the builder, is two feet shorter than the rest of the garage.  You can technically fit a car in it, but you won't be able to open the door to get out, nor walk around the car.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »
Noooo, you don't understand.  That third bay is for the big lawn tractor you absolutely have to have.

Or it could be used for storage? I know someone that uses it as a 'tool area."

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 02:50:50 PM »

Or it could be used for storage? I know someone that uses it as a 'tool area."
We *do* use it for bikes, the mower, and my workshop.  But my original point holds.  It's technically a 3-car garage, but practically, you can't really use the 3rd bay for a car.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
Most of the houses in my neighborhood were built in the late 1960s. And many people have lived in their houses a little too long, as indicated by the amount of...ahem...crap in their garages. They couldn't possibly fit one car, let alone two cars, in the two-car garage because there's barely enough space between boxes, storage bins, and furniture to walk. It's hard to feel much sympathy for these people on a cold winter morning when they're scraping ice from their windshields.

That said, I would certainly like a bigger (or another) garage for our toys. Currently, we have two cars, two scooters, a motorcycle, and a trike/Spyder in our two-car garage. It's more than a bit tight.  Maybe this year or next year, we'll build that second garage in the back. We looked for over a year for a smaller house with a bigger garage, but couldn't find one, unfortunately. So we committed to stay in this house for 10 more years and remodel the kitchen. That project is in progress.