Author Topic: Any Sandwich That Costs More Than $12 Should Be Legally Obligated to Have a Side  (Read 22230 times)

dansette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
http://jezebel.com/any-sandwich-that-costs-more-than-12-should-be-legally-1723951662

or make your own sandwich, it's some bread with avocado and tomato on it FFS!

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
I was stranded this weekend in Newark coming home from my brother's wedding.  Mechanical issues with United caused me to miss my connection.  Result - an extra 6 hours hanging around an airport.  I went to United Customer Service (an oxymoron) to see what they would do for me.  They gave me a "meal voucher" for my troubles.  The "meal voucher" was for $7.  I found a ham and cheese sandwich that came to $12.80 after tax, no drink, no side.  I think this is the first time I have ever said this...I agree with Jezebel.  Also, United sucks.

That is all.

EricP

• Bristles
We live in a world in which someone else sets the price of things; our only choice in consumption is to buy or not to buy.

Which in choosing to buy or not buy sets the price on things.  By not paying $13 for an avocado tartine (whatever a "tartine" is, and now my spell-check is blowing up so I am now googling tartine and most of the hits are Bakeries and such with the name Tartine and one "Free Dictionary" link stating that it is a French open faced sandwich with rich spreads, but the site seems very wiki-esque so I don't think this is a real word) you will in turn increase the likelihood of the bakery lowering prices.  By paying the $13 as you did, you increase the likelihood of the price staying the same or even rising.

As for the actual content of the post, do you really want a shitty bag of chips to go with your breakfast sandwich?  A bag that's probably a style that you don't like (kettle) and that you can't turn down for a discount on the price?  One that increases the price of your tartine sandwich an additional 50 cents or 1 dollar?  No, you really don't.

Take Qdoba, for instance.  Guacamole is now "free."  Which really just means that they are increasing prices on all of us people who don't like Guacamole.  So now I don't have a burrito place to go to because Chipotle is now in the starving African children business.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
I'd rather eat a 12$ sandwich than "artisanal toast" at $3-4 PER slice!

Artisanal Toast Is Taking the Nation by Storm

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
I was stranded this weekend in Newark coming home from my brother's wedding.  Mechanical issues with United caused me to miss my connection.  Result - an extra 6 hours hanging around an airport.  I went to United Customer Service (an oxymoron) to see what they would do for me.  They gave me a "meal voucher" for my troubles.  The "meal voucher" was for $7.  I found a ham and cheese sandwich that came to $12.80 after tax, no drink, no side.  I think this is the first time I have ever said this...I agree with Jezebel.
This might be relevant to the topic:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/09/22/lessons-in-badassity-from-a-night-in-houston/
Also, United sucks.
Fly enough times and they'll all let you down, not just a little, but really badly. I went through phases of avoiding this airline or that, but at this point I've been unrepentantly fucked over by all the major ones, and grudgingly settled back into my original strategy of buying the cheapest ticket that fits my schedule.

gillstone

• Bristles

Wow.  Just wow.  This is a remarkable example of how a fool and their money are soon parted.  But n the upside - god work to those businesses finding a way to charge $4.00 for something that cost them maybe 1.50 including supplies, rent, staff time & creating a twee menu.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
When coworkers from New York City visit our office they often marvel at the grocery store. Our grocery store has an eat in restaurant with a decent hot buffet, salad bar, chinese food, sushi, pizza, gelato, and some other stuff.  It's awesome.

I always thought that was weird until  i went to their office and realized the most "affordable" lunch choice is a plain grilled cheese sandwich that costs $8 (it costs more if you want anything fancy...).  Of course, I can't buy an Hermes scarf on my lunch break.

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/09/22/lessons-in-badassity-from-a-night-in-houston/

I thought about this article as I was sitting there - truthfully, it helped a little.  My main complain(y pants)t was that United called their $7 pittance a "meal voucher" knowing full well that you can't even buy a ham and cheese sandwich in the airport for $7.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Wow.  Just wow.  This is a remarkable example of how a fool and their money are soon parted.  But n the upside - god work to those businesses finding a way to charge $4.00 for something that cost them maybe 1.50 including supplies, rent, staff time & creating a twee menu.

And if you noticed, some of the highlighted restaurants were toast "bars", where you toast and top it yourself...for 3-4$ a slice.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache

I thought about this article as I was sitting there - truthfully, it helped a little.  My main complain(y pants)t was that United called their $7 pittance a "meal voucher" knowing full well that you can't even buy a ham and cheese sandwich in the airport for $7.
Last time I looked, I could at least get a moderate dose of fast food for that much, but it's definitely on the modest side. Even in my small regional airport, which runs cheap, a good breakfast would cost more than that.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
I think that a $12 sandwich should come with a free Facepunch. That said, there are exemptions. I love Zingerman's sandwiches in Ann Arbor, and consider it worth the price.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
It's sad that to eat a 'healthy' sandwich, it'll cost you a lot more than a burger at McDonalds, which we can all agree is not too healthy.

I try to avoid eating out because it's so dang expensive to eat at a healthy place, and a cheap place is so unhealthy. But it's hard. Dang hard.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
It's a good thing you put "healthy" in quotations; because these "healthy sandwiches" are rarely healthy.   

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Since we're on the topic, any tips on making a kickass sandwich? I occassionally will bring in bread and meat and condiments and tomoatos to make sandwiches at lunch, and generally find myself choking them down (won't waste the food, but won't enjoy it either). I love sandwiches from various restaurants and fast food places, but I going out for food because of the cost.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
For me, a good sandwich needs great bread. Are you making your bread or buying it?

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
Since we're on the topic, any tips on making a kickass sandwich? I occassionally will bring in bread and meat and condiments and tomoatos to make sandwiches at lunch, and generally find myself choking them down (won't waste the food, but won't enjoy it either). I love sandwiches from various restaurants and fast food places, but I going out for food because of the cost.

A really good sandwich must be toasted in my opinion, which can be hard at work, unless your kitchen has a toaster oven.

The ingredients are key.  To make it more interesting, add some prosciutto, bacon, fried egg.  Get some nice cheese too.  And switch up the condiments, instead of just mayo do honey mustard or pesto some days.  The bread is also important, but you need to go with what you enjoy.  I generally bake my own bread, but Costco has great sandwich breads for cheap, though only if you have a big enough family to eat it before it goes bad.

This reminds me of a great family meal idea that we do sometimes with my parents and brother:
We buy from Costco the rotisserie chicken, romaine lettuce hearts and the ciabatta buns.  Come home, remove legs and wings from chicken, then all the white meat and chop it up.  Mix with craisins, mayo and whatever else you like to make chicken salad.  This makes a kickass chicken salad sandwich with the lettuce and ciabatta buns (some of us also like to add a slice of cheese).  At the same time, put the chicken bones in the pot with some veggies and herbs and you got chicken stock/soup!  Feeds a ton of people for cheap.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
I was stranded this weekend in Newark coming home from my brother's wedding.  Mechanical issues with United caused me to miss my connection.  Result - an extra 6 hours hanging around an airport.  I went to United Customer Service (an oxymoron) to see what they would do for me.  They gave me a "meal voucher" for my troubles.  The "meal voucher" was for $7.  I found a ham and cheese sandwich that came to $12.80 after tax, no drink, no side.  I think this is the first time I have ever said this...I agree with Jezebel.
Also, United sucks.
Fly enough times and they'll all let you down, not just a little, but really badly. I went through phases of avoiding this airline or that, but at this point I've been unrepentantly fucked over by all the major ones, and grudgingly settled back into my original strategy of buying the cheapest ticket that fits my schedule.

Good comments on both sides here.  We were recently stuck in airports due to weather - Albany for 2 hours and Newark for 3. Luckily, my spouse travels for work *just* often enough to qualify for United Club membership.  We spent a couple of hours in the United club in Newark, charging our phones.

This came with free snacks - cheese and crackers, vegetable soup, rolls, hummus and vegetables, olives, israeli couscous salad, water, some candy, etc.  The spouse and kids still went and bought "real" dinner.  I was fine with that though, because we'd had a long travel day.  I had packed snacks, but sometimes real food is preferred.  Plus we were traveling on miles anyway, so it was a cheap trip.

In the end, we pulled into a hotel 1 hour from home because we'd been awake for 24 hours (just us, the kids slept on the plane).  I was fine paying for it because it beat dying in a fiery crash. 

I was definitely more chill that I've been in the past.  I have to take issue with the MMM "fasting" part, but mostly for 2 reasons - first, not gonna make my kids fast and second, I'm female, I can't really fast without getting hangry.  But that's a male/ female thing.

I think a single slice of pizza at Newark was $7

Hall11235

• Stubble

[/quote]

This is so true it hurts.
I hate Airline companies. progressive luggage fees are the spawn of Satan, and their unreliability and the lack of Fucks that they care about it has brought me closer to physical violence than anything I've ever experienced.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache

I hate Airline companies. progressive luggage fees are the spawn of Satan, and their unreliability and the lack of Fucks that they care about it has brought me closer to physical violence than anything I've ever experienced.

The North American ones all suck.  There are still some good ones in other countries, I really like Eva Air.

Last year I flew Southwest with my two toddlers and my mother.  Transpacific flight, big plane, lots of people, boarding was mayhem.  The kids were upset, we were trying to juggle carry-on bags and stroller, my mom managed to get to the desk and ask if there was priority boarding for people with young children.  "No."  Not even "No, sorry."  Just "No."

By contrast, when I was flying Eva Air once there was a lady with toddlers, and one of them was crying to be picked up but she had her hands full.  One of the employees actually came over to tell her that she had young kids so she could board first, and helped her with her bags.

Guizmo

• Bristles
second, I'm female, I can't really fast without getting hangry.  But that's a male/ female thing.

I have a female friend that fasts for up to 3 days. She is still pleasant. Maybe your body just needs to get used to it.

swick

• Magnum Stache

Get a cheap panini press from Craigslist to stash in your lunchroom or cubicle. It makes pretty much any sandwich better.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
The North American ones all suck.  There are still some good ones in other countries...
Tru dat.
Best airline experiences in recent years: Turkish Airways and Qatar Airways.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
A really good sandwich must be toasted in my opinion,
Which is why you people deserve Donald Trump....

You look at the array of fresh crisp ham, cheese and salad sandwiches on the counter in the cafe and then they bring you something that looks like it was left in the sun and then run over by a truck.  You don't have to iron sandwiches !

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:42:55 PM by nobodyspecial »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache

Get a cheap panini press from Craigslist to stash in your lunchroom or cubicle. It makes pretty much any sandwich better.

Do they make that much of a difference? We have a toaster and a little toaster oven in the lunchroom, and I could get a panini press for it.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
Which is why you people deserve Donald Trump....

You look at the array of ham, cheese and salad sandwiches on the counter in the cafe and then they bring you something that looks like it was left in the sun and then run over by a truck.  You don't have to iron sandwiches !
Them's fightin' words. That pugnacious content-free asshole will never be my president. And I will smite thee with a toasted panini for saying I deserve him. ;)

EricP

• Bristles

Isn't Artisanal Toast really just a toasted open faced sandwich under a different name?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache

Isn't Artisanal Toast really just a toasted open faced sandwich under a different name?

I wouldn't ever pay $3 for a slice of toast, but I will admit that reading the article made my hungry. Might need to get some toast on the way home...

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
For the poster who asked about it. My universal secrets to sandwich making are:

1. Good enough bread. Doesn't have to be super fancy, but at least half decent. Or use good rolls (ciabatta, turkish bread etc).

2. Don't be a stingy cunt with the filling. Be generous, thick slices of meat, or lots of cheese.

3. Don't spread the sauce, swirl in on. Oh and use some type of sauce, mayonnaise, tomato relish, mustard, apple sauce, cranberry sauce etc.

4. Less is more. No more than five ingredients.

to toast or not entirely depends on the ingredients. I.e. never toast a sandwhich with lettuce inside.

dansette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Getting stuck at an airport with flight delays is a frugal person's nightmare!  Everything is so expensive there and you can't bring a ton of food on the off chance you'll get stuck since they can decide just about anything contains liquid and force you to waste it.  I flew Norwegian Air a few weeks ago and it was delayed by two hours but they still charged people for drinks on the plane.  They let me take an empty water bottle through so I was able to fill it as I didn't want to give them any more money.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
For the poster who asked about it. My universal secrets to sandwich making are:

1. Good enough bread. Doesn't have to be super fancy, but at least half decent. Or use good rolls (ciabatta, turkish bread etc).

2. Don't be a stingy cunt with the filling. Be generous, thick slices of meat, or lots of cheese.

3. Don't spread the sauce, swirl in on. Oh and use some type of sauce, mayonnaise, tomato relish, mustard, apple sauce, cranberry sauce etc.

4. Less is more. No more than five ingredients.

to toast or not entirely depends on the ingredients. I.e. never toast a sandwhich with lettuce inside.

Thanks! When I think of sandwiches, I've usually gotten sliced pepper jack cheese, a slice meat of some variety. I just don't know what spread to use, I don't really like mayo. What do you think will go well with it?

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
something that looks like it was left in the sun and then run over by a truck.

LOL
Good thing I wasn't drinking tea when I read this or I would've spat it all over my laptop :D

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
second, I'm female, I can't really fast without getting hangry.  But that's a male/ female thing.

I have a female friend that fasts for up to 3 days. She is still pleasant. Maybe your body just needs to get used to it.
I doubt it.  I've tried.

There have been recent studies that suggest that female bodies don't respond to fasting the way that male bodies do (in general).

Can't remember where I read it, but it was in the context (I think) of health and weight.  That among other things, fasting is "good" for you, but they've found that it doesn't work for women like it does for men, especially for weight loss (it's often counterproductive).

Among other things: low blood sugar, feeling like I'm going to pass out, severe headaches...trust me, nobody wants to be around me when I've fasted for very long.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
I think that a $12 sandwich should come with a free Facepunch. That said, there are exemptions. I love Zingerman's sandwiches in Ann Arbor, and consider it worth the price.

My college roommate reminded me that Zingerman's sandwiches do come with a side, so I stand corrected.

Also, just want to say that if anyone is in Ann Arbor, I recommend checking out Zingerman's. Their sandwich prices are high, but they actually don't have too much of a markup on them. They refuse to compromise on size of their sandwich or their quality, so raise prices based on their costs, and their employees are extremely well-trained and well-paid (they actually run a school for businesses to send their employees for training, and also teach a class at Ross, UM business school).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Paid $17 for three "sandwiches" yesterday, all fresh lobster rolls.  Worth every penny.

Guses

• Pencil Stache

I doubt it.  I've tried.

There have been recent studies that suggest that female bodies don't respond to fasting the way that male bodies do (in general).

Can't remember where I read it, but it was in the context (I think) of health and weight.  That among other things, fasting is "good" for you, but they've found that it doesn't work for women like it does for men, especially for weight loss (it's often counterproductive).

Among other things: low blood sugar, feeling like I'm going to pass out, severe headaches...trust me, nobody wants to be around me when I've fasted for very long.

I think that this is the normal biological response to fasting in both males and females.

You have to work your body into it. Can't just jump in.

Maybe you are diabetic?

Easye418

• Pencil Stache

A really good sandwich must be toasted in my opinion, which can be hard at work, unless your kitchen has a toaster oven.

The ingredients are key.  To make it more interesting, add some prosciutto, bacon, fried egg.  Get some nice cheese too.  And switch up the condiments, instead of just mayo do honey mustard or pesto some days.  The bread is also important, but you need to go with what you enjoy.  I generally bake my own bread, but Costco has great sandwich breads for cheap, though only if you have a big enough family to eat it before it goes bad.

This reminds me of a great family meal idea that we do sometimes with my parents and brother:
We buy from Costco the rotisserie chicken, romaine lettuce hearts and the ciabatta buns.  Come home, remove legs and wings from chicken, then all the white meat and chop it up.  Mix with craisins, mayo and whatever else you like to make chicken salad.  This makes a kickass chicken salad sandwich with the lettuce and ciabatta buns (some of us also like to add a slice of cheese).  At the same time, put the chicken bones in the pot with some veggies and herbs and you got chicken stock/soup!  Feeds a ton of people for cheap.

+1 on Costco Rotisserie Chickens.  We make so many dishes out of that damn thing.  Stir fry, chicken cassarole, chicken tacos, chicken noodle soup, etc.

Great idea on the chicken salad sandwich.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
I can't possibly know the author's intent, but what stuck out to me is when she mentioned the side as a culinary element of a meal; that a single sandwich is subtly unsatisfying if not paired with something else. When you pack your lunch, do you ever really bring just a sandwich, or do you at least grab a piece of fruit to go with it?

I think the concept of variety-for-satisfaction exists in many cultures, though I have heard it most clearly (and strictly) expressed with respect to Japanese cuisine...I think it's called Kaiseki (though I'm not sure, I lost the word and had to google for it). The idea is basically that for a meal to feel complete, you need 5 (I think?) different flavors and different preparation styles (boiled, grilled, steamed, pickled, fried, fresh, etc). I'm pretty sure there are other rules involved, but the central tenet is variety.

So, I think the rant can be interpreted as not just a rant about the expense, but rather that if you're at that level where the sandwich costs $12 (outside of an airport) and you're calling it a "tartine," you've carefully designed the things on your menu and should care enough about how they're perceived to include a little something to contrast or complement the dish and bring out the flavor. Alternately, a person could just go to Subway, which doesn't care how the sandwich you asked them to make tastes, they just sell you what you ask for.

A much better story, I think, about how the trend in SF got started...

http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/toast-story-latest-artisanal-food-craze-72676

kite

• Pencil Stache
*****PSA for those stranded 6 hours in Newark****

6 hours is more than enough time to leave the airport and get some excellent Rodizio.  Take the Airtrain to Newark Penn Station and walk to one of the Brazilian or Portuguese places.
Actually 6 hours is enough time to hop the PATH to Manhattan for even more dining/layover options, but if you're afraid to stray too far, Newark's Ironbound section has great food. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache

+1 on Costco Rotisserie Chickens.  We make so many dishes out of that damn thing.  Stir fry, chicken cassarole, chicken tacos, chicken noodle soup, etc.

Great idea on the chicken salad sandwich.

I'm about to join Costco, so this is timely. I think I'll time it so that when I go I will pick up one of their tasty chickens for dinner. I want to get an ice tray to pour chicken stock into and then freeze. I've heard that this is a great way to have bullion..and it also saves space, anyone try this?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
Paid $17 for three "sandwiches" yesterday, all fresh lobster rolls.  Worth every penny.

Where on earth did you do that? Even at McDonald's they're $7.99 each (disgusting). Unless you mean $17 each...?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian

I doubt it.  I've tried.

I think that this is the normal biological response to fasting in both males and females.

You have to work your body into it. Can't just jump in.

Maybe you are diabetic?
I'm not diabetic.

Can we just agree that people are different?  I really really super hate it when men, or young men, or young women (or anyone really), try to apply "obvious" health ideals and principle to, well, everyone.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-women

http://paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache

Where on earth did you do that? Even at McDonald's they're $7.99 each (disgusting). Unless you mean $17 each...?

Thanks, now I want to go get a lobster roll. The only decent place here is like $18 each for them...

Guses

• Pencil Stache
I'm not diabetic.

Can we just agree that people are different?  I really really super hate it when men, or young men, or young women (or anyone really), try to apply "obvious" health ideals and principle to, well, everyone.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-women

http://paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

I am absolutely not arguing whether fasting is good or bad, I simply pointed out that the fasting symptoms that you described experiencing are the way both normal men and women will respond to fasting when not habituated to it.

Maybe you are different, but what you have described represents the norm, not the exception.

I also feel ligh headed and in a bad mood when I skip a meal, this does not mean that I am biologically different from other humans and that my body handles fasting differently.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache

Each.

http://captscotts.com/Pages/MobileHome.aspx

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Thanks! When I think of sandwiches, I've usually gotten sliced pepper jack cheese, a slice meat of some variety. I just don't know what spread to use, I don't really like mayo. What do you think will go well with it?

Mustard if it's ham and cheese. BBQ sauce if it's beef.

Merrie

• Bristles

The North American ones all suck.  There are still some good ones in other countries, I really like Eva Air.

Last year I flew Southwest with my two toddlers and my mother.  Transpacific flight, big plane, lots of people, boarding was mayhem.  The kids were upset, we were trying to juggle carry-on bags and stroller, my mom managed to get to the desk and ask if there was priority boarding for people with young children.  "No."  Not even "No, sorry."  Just "No."

By contrast, when I was flying Eva Air once there was a lady with toddlers, and one of them was crying to be picked up but she had her hands full.  One of the employees actually came over to tell her that she had young kids so she could board first, and helped her with her bags.

That's why I won't fly Southwest, because with the boarding the way it is and the lack of assigned seats, I can't find seats together for my family. If it were just one or two adults that would be one thing but I don't want to have to beg strangers to move so I can sit with my kids.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache

Any suggestions besides BBQ? I'm not a huge fan of it. I've tried putting Frank's but it isn't really a good sauce for sandwiches. For the time being I'll likely pass on sandwiches and just make something in the slow cooker Sunday night for most of my lunches during the week.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache

+1

The last time I flew southwest I went out the next weekend and took my first piloting lesson.  That's how bad it was, I was like, surely I can do this better myself (I was wrong, btw, it's an inner ear thing).

I make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at work as my back-up lunch.  If I don't have good leftovers to bring in it is PBJ all the way.  Beyond that, to make a good sandwich, mayo is a huge mistake, as is mustard.  You want to melt the cheese, but toasting the bread is not a great way to do that.  For meat/cheese sandwiches, I microwave/toast the insides separately, and then assemble with bread, lightly toasted if I'm in the mood for it.  If you absolutely have to have a condiment, consider regular ol' honey or a salad dressing of some kind.  Fresh spinach works great on a sandwich, but in general vegetables are a mistake.

Mayo is a liberal conspiracy.

Bourbon

• Bristles

Any suggestions besides BBQ? I'm not a huge fan of it. I've tried putting Frank's but it isn't really a good sauce for sandwiches. For the time being I'll likely pass on sandwiches and just make something in the slow cooker Sunday night for most of my lunches during the week.

I'm a mustard man myself.  Horseradish sauce? 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
but I don't want to have to beg strangers to move so I can sit with my kids.

I think the solution to this is just to sit your child down in a middle seat between two random people. The younger child, the better the strategy works.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!