Author Topic: Antimustachianism in Movies  (Read 10950 times)

Tinker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Antimustachianism in Movies
« on: May 01, 2019, 05:38:43 AM »
d
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 10:17:06 AM by Tinker »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Antimustachianism in Movies
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:37:14 AM »
One parent working isn't necessarily bad.

Hollywood has long had no grasp of reality, which is sad, because so many people watch TV and movies and think that's how they're supposed to live, so they emulate it. When I was a teenager, I thought normal kids had parties every weekend, thanks to movies.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »

Hollywood has long had no grasp of reality, which is sad, because so many people watch TV and movies and think that's how they're supposed to live, so they emulate it. When I was a teenager, I thought normal kids had parties every weekend, thanks to movies.
Just like how every morning mom wakes up at 4am and makes an elaborate giant breakfast, and dad just drinks a cup of coffee while reading a newspaper and takes one bite of a waffle before running out the door.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 08:07:58 AM »

Just like how every morning mom wakes up at 4am and makes an elaborate giant breakfast, and dad just drinks a cup of coffee while reading a newspaper and takes one bite of a waffle before running out the door.

Do physical newspapers even still exist?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 08:16:58 AM »

Are you telling me I wasn't supposed to be doing that this whole time?

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 11:18:20 AM »
I had to stop watching FRIENDS because of this.

Well, actually a lot of reasons, but that was a big one, lol.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 09:19:29 PM »

Watch Pleasantville recently? 

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »
Fun with Dick and Jane (the John Carrey version). When Dick loses his corporate job his spendy suburban life starts to fall apart, so he and Jane turn into modern day Robin Hoods. Instead of, you know, learning from their mistakes and becoming Mustachians.

The Company Men
Ben Affleck's character loses his corporate job and his suburban life falls apart. In this movie however the lessons appear to be learned by the end of the movie.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 09:44:23 AM »
I've just started watching The Commuter and 8 minutes in what we have appears to be a
- home where it seems only 1 parent works
- plans to send child to expensive college, against the boy's own choice and intellectual drive
- shocked at price of said college they will "figure something out, always do"
- drive gas guzzling shiny new SUV (only one though?)
- two mortgages
- outward appearance of doing well
- 60 year old whose family's "existence" is threatened by loss of his job, in spite of severance package

Pretty fun watching this with a little detachment.

What kind of horrible financial decisions and keeping-up-with-the-joneses have you seen proudly displayed in movies?

Oh man, I think back on all those 80's movies where the stars lived in killer converted warehouse/loft apartments, like "Ghost," "Three Men and a Baby," "St. Elmo's Fire," and "Quicksilver," to name a few. Man, I wanted so badly to eventually live like that back then!

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 09:55:04 AM »
I think product placement plays a big role in making regular middle class families own new shiny stuff in movies.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 10:16:01 AM »

Do physical newspapers even still exist?

Yes.  And our local newspaper delivers a free paper every Wed.
There is no way to get them to stop.  I've called multiple times to get them to stop throwing paper on my driveway.
My two year old sees it every week and says "oh no! Trash!" and we proceed to put it right into the recycling bin.  But I shouldn't have to deal with their "litter". You can't just go throwing paper all over people's property!

I'm surprised one working parent is in the initial list? Is it because neither parent should be working to be mustachian? :)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 10:31:20 AM »
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who hates the weekly newspaper that I can't opt out of.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
You've requested that they stop throwing their junk on your property.  Can you take your garbage for the week, drive down to their offices and dump it at their front door?  :P

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »
You've requested that they stop throwing their junk on your property.  Can you take your garbage for the week, drive down to their offices and dump it at their front door?  :P

I've been told they are permitted by the city to distribute newspapers. So apparently they can throw garbage wherever they want. 
Thankfully, my recycling bin has plenty of room (it's a 95 gallon bin).

But my trash can has ZERO room, since I opt for biweekly pickup of a 35 gallon can instead of weekly pickup of a 65 gallon can. With a kid in diapers, we fill every gallon of that can. But a 65 gallon trash can for a single family residence is ridiculous.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »
Can you lobby the city for the right to distribute diapers to people who distribute newspapers?  You don't even have to charge for them.  At least, not at first.  :P

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who hates the weekly newspaper that I can't opt out of.

One of the local dailys just called my business yesterday to tell us that they were going to send us a promotion subscription at no charge, I told them to not to do so. It would only collect dust. I read a national paper, but on an app on my phone, much more convenient that way.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 12:42:14 PM »
I'm surprised one working parent is in the initial list? Is it because neither parent should be working to be mustachian? :)
When money is tight and your children are of college age, i don't think it is a sound financial decision to have a stay at home parent.

Working when your kids are college aged doesn't seem Mustachian. It seems by then, if you were mustachian you'd long since be retired.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »

The scenes where there is so much food on the table and no one is eating are distracting and make me really uncomfortable.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »
When money is tight and your children are of college age, i don't think it is a sound financial decision to have a stay at home parent.

Working when your kids are college aged doesn't seem Mustachian. It seems by then, if you were mustachian you'd long since be retired.

Depends on how old you are when you have your kids.
Ahem.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »

Ahem.

Regardless of when you have your kids, you have 18 years of work before they hit college, unless they are utter geniuses.
MMM retired at like 30, right?  That's less than 18 years of work.

Maybe the word being looked for is "fiscally responsible"?

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »
I think the disconnect might be with the cinematic parents in the big house with the SUV in the driveway and the uneaten breakfast. And the talk of stretching to pay for college when one parent (usually Mom) doesn't have a job or any plan to. She just makes waffles and fusses over everyone. Even Ferris Bueller's mom sold real estate!

And @Parizade did you ever see the original "Fun With Dick and Jane"? Jane Fonda and George Segal. Much better IMO than the Jim Carrey one. The message seems to be that crime DOES pay, :)  In that same genre and 1970s era, there's a funny little movie with Susan St. James, Jane Curtain and Jessica Lange where they are desperate suburban housewives who steal cash from a shopping mall promotion. High art is not, but it is entertaining if you like that sort of thing.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
And @Parizade did you ever see the original "Fun With Dick and Jane"? Jane Fonda and George Segal. Much better IMO than the Jim Carrey one. The message seems to be that crime DOES pay, :)  In that same genre and 1970s era, there's a funny little movie with Susan St. James, Jane Curtain and Jessica Lange where they are desperate suburban housewives who steal cash from a shopping mall promotion. High art is not, but it is entertaining if you like that sort of thing.

I'll have to look those up on Amazon, I like funny movies! I find it so ironic when I'm watching a movie that glorifies crime and the first thing on the screen is the FBI Anti-Piracy Warning. In other words crime is glamorous and rewarding unless Hollywood is the victim, then it's a TERRIBLE THING.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 02:38:34 AM »
I think the disconnect might be with the cinematic parents in the big house with the SUV in the driveway and the uneaten breakfast. And the talk of stretching to pay for college when one parent (usually Mom) doesn't have a job or any plan to. She just makes waffles and fusses over everyone. Even Ferris Bueller's mom sold real estate!

Yeah but look how it worked out for Ferris.  Totally irresponsible parenting!

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 08:54:39 AM »
Several years ago I saw National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Something about whining over getting a bonus to afford a pool installation... I hadn't been introduced to the FIRE community at that time, but I still thought it was stupid. I don't remember finding much of the movie funny, either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 10:27:05 AM »
Several years ago I saw National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Something about whining over getting a bonus to afford a pool installation... I hadn't been introduced to the FIRE community at that time, but I still thought it was stupid. I don't remember finding much of the movie funny, either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s not about the pool, man, it’s about the indignity of working so hard for so little

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
Most Mustachian movie that I recall...  Blast from the Past
"Adam Webber (Brendan Fraser) has lived his entire life in confinement in a fallout shelter in Pasadena, Calif."

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »
The Joneses with Demi Moore and David Duchovny defiitiely fits here.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 03:27:27 PM »

Ahem.

Regardless of when you have your kids, you have 18 years of work before they hit college, unless they are utter geniuses.
MMM retired at like 30, right?  That's less than 18 years of work.

Maybe the word being looked for is "fiscally responsible"?
Well, it also depends on other factors, like how many children you have, and how well they are spaced out, etc.  And all that.

I mean, FAFSA's gonna tell you what you owe.  What if you have 3 kids spaced 4 years apart?  You prob are gonna get reamed. 
Not that I know or anything.
I expect our EFC will be 100%.

(I will be in my mid 60s when kid #2 finishes college, so then I can retire.)
(TBH, we could retire this minute if we were willing to leave California.)
(We don't want to retire.)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 02:08:34 AM »
I finally watched Lady Bird and it's a good movie but seemed antimustachian to me. She is a teenager obsessed with money and status, determined to go to an out of state college her family can't afford even though she has never been a very good student. I could imagine her 10 years in the future posting in the Welcome and General Discussion board: HELP, drowing in student debt and can't make more than minimum wage.

peabody58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE 04/2015 @ 57
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 02:15:40 PM »
Not a movie,  but EVERY Home Improvement show:  "I'm a part-time turtle walker, and my husband sharpens the ends of toothpicks.  Our budget is $1.5 million."

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 03:58:10 PM »
Not a movie,  but EVERY Home Improvement show:  "I'm a part-time turtle walker, and my husband sharpens the ends of toothpicks.  Our budget is $1.5 million."

"It's Complicated"  I watched that movie and couldn't figure out how she managed such a posh lifestyle on her business.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 06:23:46 PM »

Don’t knock it.  Professional artisanal sharpeners can make bank https://youtu.be/spMaP-_Cq_8

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2019, 10:17:44 PM »

This was a head-scratcher for a minute. I couldn't recall when I saw Tim Allen with a turtle.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 02:32:32 AM »
Many years ago I saw a movie on TV that I don't remember the title off. I think it was with Kevin Costner, playing a married family father, living in a fancy home and lossing his job. The family had to move in with his parents, because they coulnd't afford to keep living there. The father used to work a white collar job, but now needed some income fast. He went to work for his brother in law, who had a construction company, building a house. Costner went working as a low paid helper to build the house. So far, not much wrong. But then some day, be arrives at the construnction site, carrying a tray of commercial coffee cups to surprise his co-workers and boss. It was shown as if this was now the normal way of working when you feel more at home in a job. I remember that I thought that was a dumb financial decision.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 04:45:16 AM »

"It's Complicated"  I watched that movie and couldn't figure out how she managed such a posh lifestyle on her business.

Divorce settlement.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2019, 05:27:12 AM »

Yes! And even with $1.5 million they ALWAYS go a little over budget. Good grief, you could build half a dozen very nice new homes with that much money.

The other thing that drives me nuts is when they walk into a perfectly fine, clean, functional kitchen and wrinkle their noses when they say "but it's so dated." So they proceed to pull out all the nice wood cabinets and throw them in the dumpster and all the appliances that work just fine go to recycling.

I used to LOVE watching Rehab Addict because she always tried to resell the cabinets and things they  pulled out during demo. She would sell any scrap metal and put that back into the remodel budget. She would dumpster dive for decorating "accessories" and I thought her houses always turned out beautifully.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:36:41 AM by Parizade »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 04:06:32 PM »

We don't get the local paper, but would welcome a free one there are many uses of newspaper.
My wife picks up a couple of the free rags just for the paper, we don't read it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »

Ahem.

Right with you there mm, I'm 64 and still have two in college. One for the second time around, third if you consider her online Masters Degree.
This last one is it, if she wants any more education it's on her bill.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »

Ahem.

Right with you there mm, I'm 64 and still have two in college. One for the second time around, third if you consider her online Masters Degree.
This last one is it, if she wants any more education it's on her bill.

You are kinder than my Dad.  The first degree he supported (less each year as my summer jobs made more money), my further education was up to me.  Same for my sister.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »

Send them two letters the next two times they deliver the paper and ask them not to.  Keep copies.

Then, if they still do it, send them copies of the letter and an invoice for cleaning up their trash from your yard.

Send copies to the local TV and radio stations.

Put up a wooden sign in your front yard that says "Trash dumped in my yard by the newspaper company!"

Attach a strongly made, clear plastic bag to the sign and put the papers  in it.  Make sure it's visible from the street.  Every time they put another paper in your yard, put it in the bag.  After it happens a few times, send copies of everything, plus photos, to the other news organizations in your area.   Put copies on social media. 

Whatever you choose to do to  embarass them, be sure to have fun doing it.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2019, 09:23:11 AM »

Divorce settlement.

And obviously the Steve Martin/architect character was crucial to the plot, but the last of the kids moved out early in the movie. Why would such an enormous addition to an already large and beautiful house be needed?

UndergroundDaytimeDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »

Send them two letters the next two times they deliver the paper and ask them not to.  Keep copies.

Then, if they still do it, send them copies of the letter and an invoice for cleaning up their trash from your yard.

Put up a wooden sign in your front yard that says "Trash dumped in my yard by the newspaper company!"

Attach a strongly made, clear plastic bag to the sign and put the papers  in it.  Make sure it's visible from the street.  Every time they put another paper in your yard, put it in the bag.  After it happens a few times, send copies of everything, plus photos, to the other news organizations in your area.   Put copies on social media. 

This is the perfect form of crazy! It is like you typed out the things I think!   

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »

Divorce settlement.

And obviously the Steve Martin/architect character was crucial to the plot, but the last of the kids moved out early in the movie. Why would such an enormous addition to an already large and beautiful house be needed?

Because how else would she get the kitchen she's always wanted and a view from her bedroom??? Obviously!

K...I might have seen this movie more than once...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2019, 11:57:26 PM »

This is the perfect form of crazy! It is like you typed out the things I think!   

Back when I still lived with my parents, they couldn't get the garbagemen to pick up some trash they had put out front of our house.   They called a couple of times after it didn't get picked up and nothing happened.

So they made a sign that said, "This trash has been here 10 days."  Each day they painted a line thru the old number (ex 10) and painted a new number on the sign.   By day 14 it was gone. 

They beat the newspaper to the story by about 3 hours.

People who work for the government do not like waves.  Make waves!

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2019, 05:23:51 AM »
From Chernobyl on HBO I did learn that you shouldn't cheap out by buying graphite-tipped control rods for your RBMK reactor.  You might save a lot in the long-run by buying right the first time.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2019, 09:38:56 AM »

Way to show you don't care about local affairs.

Here my local weekly free newspaper includes official city announcements.There's a good reason for them being on a city-wide no-opt-out delivery scheme.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2019, 11:17:30 AM »

Here my local weekly free newspaper includes official city announcements.There's a good reason for them being on a city-wide no-opt-out delivery scheme.

They could find ways to alert people without printing out a lot of paper that is inevitably going to be thrown away (probably 90% of which won't even be read first).

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »
Many years ago I saw a movie on TV that I don't remember the title off. I think it was with Kevin Costner, playing a married family father, living in a fancy home and lossing his job. The family had to move in with his parents, because they coulnd't afford to keep living there. The father used to work a white collar job, but now needed some income fast. He went to work for his brother in law, who had a construction company, building a house. Costner went working as a low paid helper to build the house. So far, not much wrong. But then some day, be arrives at the construnction site, carrying a tray of commercial coffee cups to surprise his co-workers and boss. It was shown as if this was now the normal way of working when you feel more at home in a job. I remember that I thought that was a dumb financial decision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Company_Men

The Kevin Costner character was the brother-in-law, Ben Affleck was the dad.

I think that the end lesson of the movie was that there's a lot that's more important than money, so it ends up being Mustachian in that way. But I haven't seen it in awhile.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2019, 07:46:56 PM »

Or, for example, the house I bought to flip had been vacant for 6 years before I bought it and was vacant another year after that.   I got damn tired of having to drive over there every damn week to remove the paper they tossed in my yard and the paper from the empty lot that blew over from the empty lot next door.  You know, the one where the house in it had been torn down 8 years before?

As for your example, if our area had a free weekly paper we would try it out.  If we didn't want it, we would tell them to stop tossing it in our yard.  We're under zero obligation to support a publication of we don't think it has any value for us.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2019, 10:20:00 AM »
They could find ways to alert people without printing out a lot of paper that is inevitably going to be thrown away (probably 90% of which won't even be read first).
Such as? (And it can't be: go online, because older people might not be willing to.)

Assuming you have a sane recycling system, then the ecological cost isn't bad for paper.