Author Topic: Antimustachian housemate  (Read 7641 times)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
Antimustachian housemate
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:06:28 AM »
(This is a bit of a vent, I'm sorry.) My Very Dumb housemate infuriates me with all the stuff she keeps buying. Today she bought 3 new pots & 1 new pan - we already had 3 working pots & 2 pans. Now they're just taking up space. Rahhh. I have no idea what makes her think that we need more stuff in our tiny kitchen. Plus, I've only seen her cook twice this year :P

This is to add to the 2 new cake tins, 1 new biscuit/cookie tray that VD recently bought, wyhich are still in their wrappers! Because we already have several of each, in perfect working order. AND! The microwave recently stopped working - so dear dearly VD threw it in the trash and bought a new one. She didn't even try to dispose of the microwave properly! *Head desk* Oh my.

How do you deal with this??

At least she's clean..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:08:41 AM by Nudelkopf »

kt

Re: Antimustachian housemate
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:26:53 AM »
frustrating to watch and irritating in a small space. at least it's their money, assuming they can keep up with bills whilst spending like this.
my sister had a housemate who always wanted the heating on (and on high) because she liked to wear shorts & tshirts inside. which is a bit more problematic.
i have a housemate who eats takeout pizza quite often which confuses me! i like it occasionally but it's about 7x the cost of shop-bought pizza and i can't say i think it's 7x better or even 7x more convenient.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 06:05:28 AM »
As someone who has had his fair share of roommates from hell, someone's overspending is the least of my worries. As long as it doesn't affect my wallet, that is.

Sure it can be mildly annoying, but don't forget that both in terms of waste of money saved, the two of you are way ahead living together than separately.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 07:01:51 AM »
Living with roomies (much like living with a spouse) it's very important to pick your battles.  What you're complaining about doesn't really seem all that intolerable to me.

unpolloloco

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:41:06 AM »
(This is a bit of a vent, I'm sorry.) My Very Dumb housemate infuriates me with all the stuff she keeps buying. Today she bought 3 new pots & 1 new pan - we already had 3 working pots & 2 pans. Now they're just taking up space. Rahhh. I have no idea what makes her think that we need more stuff in our tiny kitchen. Plus, I've only seen her cook twice this year :P

This is to add to the 2 new cake tins, 1 new biscuit/cookie tray that VD recently bought, wyhich are still in their wrappers! Because we already have several of each, in perfect working order. AND! The microwave recently stopped working - so dear dearly VD threw it in the trash and bought a new one. She didn't even try to dispose of the microwave properly! *Head desk* Oh my.

How do you deal with this??

At least she's clean..

Who cares?  It's not your money!

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 08:12:10 AM »
does this roommate whine about being broke?  that would aggravate me. 

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 08:18:58 AM »
We've also got too many kitchen stuffs (pots, pans, Tupperware, all sorts of dishes, etc.), appropriate for the cabinet space we have, but a bit overwhelming when there are dishes to be done (goodbye counter/sink space).

It drives me crazy that cooking ware isn't cleaned shortly after use as it takes up so much space, and is easiest to clean before food hardens.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »
Who cares?  It's not your money!
It's my space!

does this roommate whine about being broke?  that would aggravate me. 
Sure does. She even stamped her foot and cried because her mum wouldn't pay for her to go to Europe over summer.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »
The 10mm Colt sidearm might not be an ideal long-distance weapon, and it's certainly no sniper's rifle, but it has the advantages of low weight and quicker target acquisition. You can reliably engage aggressors at ranges of 30 meters and more. Use a two-handed grip and brace the barrel against a tree, or use your dive tanks and rebreather as an improvised bench rest. Don't worry about "stopping power": One of those 10mm slugs opens up to about 70 caliber when it hits, leaving an exit wound you could toss a cat through, and bringing so much energy to a target that a hit in the extremities is often enough to drop Ivan in his tracks.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 06:45:54 PM »
Kreigsspeil is right, Nudelkopf, perhaps she just needs a gentle nudge to see the error of her ways.

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:23 AM »
The 10mm Colt sidearm might not be an ideal long-distance weapon, and it's certainly no sniper's rifle, but it has the advantages of low weight and quicker target acquisition. You can reliably engage aggressors at ranges of 30 meters and more. Use a two-handed grip and brace the barrel against a tree, or use your dive tanks and rebreather as an improvised bench rest. Don't worry about "stopping power": One of those 10mm slugs opens up to about 70 caliber when it hits, leaving an exit wound you could toss a cat through, and bringing so much energy to a target that a hit in the extremities is often enough to drop Ivan in his tracks.

Perhaps I'm missing something but the only sane reply I can think of to this is "Well, that escalated quickly" o_o;

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 08:57:53 AM »
Do you have designated spots for your own belongings? If not this may be a good time to start introducing it, so once she reaches her space limit she can't infringe on your side of the shelf, for example.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 01:03:42 AM »
Kreigsspeil is right, Nudelkopf, perhaps she just needs a gentle nudge to see the error of her ways.
Thanks for summarising that .. I had no idea how to interpret that.

Do you have designated spots for your own belongings? If not this may be a good time to start introducing it, so once she reaches her space limit she can't infringe on your side of the shelf, for example.
Probs a good idea.

I've attached a picture of our kitchen (I know the pic's tiny). As you can see, not much cupboard space.  From left to right, it's sink, draws, stove, tiny cupboard, fridge, tall upright cupboard (for plates & food).

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 01:42:50 AM »
I hope your roommate doesn't read this blog.  Have you thought about moving? You might enjoy a bachelor space more  or a room in an older persons house ?  P

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
Thanks for summarising that .. I had no idea how to interpret that.

Um, I thought it was pretty obvious that Kreigsspeil just accidentally posted in the wrong thread, right? Like maybe this one?
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/are-you-a-gun-owner

The number of people that don't think that's obvious has me re-evaluating that thought though. (Yes I realise you were just playing it off Dr.Vibrissae.)

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
Yea, sometimes I post in the wrong topic, here is the appropriate response:

Destroying a bridge might look easy in the movies, but remember: They're designed to withstand the immense shear-forces of wind and weather. Deploying an underwater M-32 satchel charge at the base of each load-bearing pylon looks like the answer, but it might not even shake a modern riveted steel highway or railroad bridge. Without delving into the complex language of the guerrilla combat engineer, the best advice I can give you is to forgo subtlety in favor of brute force: Put two satchel charges at each X-shaped trestle buck, and this should rob the bridge of any reinforcing strength and cause it to buckle nicely.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 02:10:57 PM »
Thanks, Krieg. That's much more germane to the topic.

Frank of Denmark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I do not suffer from insanity, i enjoy it.
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 02:44:52 AM »
Kriegsspiel, both your comments made my day. I cant stop laughing...

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 04:25:14 AM »
hm just a side thought, since you mentioned the roommate rarely cooks, does she even know where the current cooking utensils are? Maybe if you pointed out what you guys already have, she wouldn't go buying more?

but I like Krieg's take on this, why stress yourself over it when you have the option of use burying the roommate? Maybe with those pans? Toss them on her bed some night....

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!