Author Topic: Antimustachian behavior that makes your day  (Read 24053 times)

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
Antimustachian behavior that makes your day
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »
Every time I go to work, I see a bunch of colleagues carrying an expensive coffee cup, their "morning latte" with them. That thing costs them $3.5 plus taxes.
That's close to a thousand dollars a year. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I see someone with a Starbucks coffee in their hand, thinking "ha, I just saved myself $1000 by looking at you". No empathy for them. at. all. (am I a bad person?)

What non-mustachian behavior from your peers puts a smile on your face?

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
Re: Antimustachian behavior that makes your day
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »
The daily exodus from the office to various low quality lunch places around here. Almost everyone in the office happily streaming out to spend $10+ on a crappy salad that they could make at home for better. Always makes me cringe

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:19:31 PM »
The daily exodus from the office to various low quality lunch places around here. Almost everyone in the office happily streaming out to spend $10+ on a crappy salad that they could make at home for better. Always makes me cringe
This.

Also, seeing fellow students buy a parking pass and drive to class when they are in biking distance and in reasonable shape

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »
On a typical day I hear this:

"I have so many bills this month ... hey, where are we going for lunch today?"

I smile to think of them seething with jealousy at my retirement party ...

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:21:59 PM »
+1 and in my workplace there's also a daily debate as to what delivery place they are going to order from. It must take 30 min to get the whole thing organized, they all seem to spend more than they do when they walk out to buy lunch, and they never finish their food.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
Hearing my coworkers sigh about how they won't be able to retire at "the normal age" anymore and things just aren't the way they used to be, blah blah, while driving their shiny leased cars and buying ridiculous houses and sending their kids to overpriced private schools and getting Starbucks 2x/day. /smallestviolin

Obviously it doesn't make me happy that they're in bad shape, but it does make me happy to realize that my DH and I have a wonderfully fulfilling life right now without spending $$$$$$$ and will be retired well before 60 (hopefully in our 40s). :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:32:58 PM by celticmyst08 »

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 06:08:45 PM »
Not so much makes my day but more makes me cringe, hearing co-workers talk about what private school they're sending their kids to, their construction loan to add a pool to the house 'cause the kids need it', the getting an interest free loan to fill the new house with new furniture, the $5000 wedding dress'. Then they ask me why my husband and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, why don't we buy a house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »
I rather enjoy my coworkers talking about expensive hobbies and such.

I don't tell them my hobby is considerably more expensive at this point in my life ;)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 07:52:06 PM »
Obviously it doesn't make me happy that they're in bad shape, but it does make me happy to realize that my DH and I have a wonderfully fulfilling life right now without spending $$$$$$$ and will be retired well before 60 (hopefully in our 40s). :)

+1. My Mr. OneCoolCat husband thought my cynical self would enjoy this thread. Well, the only things that really bother me are when food stamp nation tries to pay for Valentine's gifts and their nails (TRUE STORY) from my tax dollars, and the like. Otherwise, their life they can do whatever they want.

I used to work in a Chinese takeout (yes, how stereotypical) and the women next door, after doing their hair, would try to charge the last $6 on their declined credit card, sometimes on multiple cards, too. It's like please friggin return your hair and make yourself a sandwich at home. GTFO!

There was however, one conniving coworker that I highly do not like and I would somewhat be amused that she had a tendency to brag about leasing Mercedes and Lexuses and paying $200 for a bathing suit, yet biotched about the $400 it costs to replace her tire... yeah, it's called don't brag when you clearly can't afford it. It also pleases me to learn that in 2012 she wanted a house but didn't have the $10k down (some special loan for first time homebuyers) to afford it... she eventually bought a house in 2014 which has since went up in value by a mere $15k compared to what I know she could have got it for in 2012. SUCKA! LOL, I guess I am enjoying this. :-)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:55:09 PM by MrsCoolCat »

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »
I call it the stupid tax. I get stories from some LEO friends that make me cringe, but still laugh.

I'd say the most reoccurring one is: Buy fairly new, used luxury car but live in the hood. Crash said car on highway. Complain about how road should be plowed better. LEO checks car and tires are bald. Idiot gets tickets for unsafe equipment, failure to avoid an accident, etc. Idiot complains about how they shouldn't get tickets because it's not their fault, they can't afford new tires...

Another personal fav is people who have warrants, but drive like idiots. One of the most recent was a guy with 2 warrants, who speeds past LEO doing 20+ MPH over speed limit. Yep, you're dumb AND you're going to jail for a while. Oh, those warrants? Bench warrants for failure to appear for speeding tickets...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:57:47 PM by bzzzt »

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »
I teach a college class for 2 hours and 45 minutes with one 15 minute break. During break most of my college students buy stuff out of the vending machine. A very popular item is a water bottle that costs $1.50. I fill up my water bottle for free at the fountain. The school actually installed fancy dispensers so it's easy to fill up a water bottle. It was a very weird experience and caught my attention.

xenon5

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »
I teach a college class for 2 hours and 45 minutes with one 15 minute break. During break most of my college students buy stuff out of the vending machine. A very popular item is a water bottle that costs $1.50. I fill up my water bottle for free at the fountain. The school actually installed fancy dispensers so it's easy to fill up a water bottle. It was a very weird experience and caught my attention.

I've come to learn that many people in the US are very suspicious of tap water, even though the vast majority of tap water here is safe and many water bottlers are bottling the same water.  I travel for work and my coworkers are always jumping through hoops to buy cartons of water bottles to use for 3 or 4 days.  When I say I just drink it from the tap and bring my own bottle, they try to convince me it's not safe!

willow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 07:01:13 PM »
I do enjoy laughing at a good weakness. I just remind myself that I have my own weaknesses.

I happen to buy expensive lattes. Not every day, but probably more than I should. I still manage to save over half of my income though, so I figured, I'm willing to let this one go.(Also I have family members that work for said expensive latte company, so maybe it's a conflict of interest).

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
   One thing I used to wonder about when I was a working stiff was the number of co workers who had swimming pools.  I live in an apartment so we have an outdoor pool in summer but I have no idea how much that costs. Growing up, I only knew only one kid whose family had a pool so I think of them as being for rich people only (Dad never learned to swim, Mom loved it so she was in YWCA to use their pool).

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 03:32:28 AM »
I used to work in Halifax, Nova Scotia, while living across the harbour in Dartmouth. To get to work I'd take the 7-minute passenger ferry ride across the harbour. I was always amused by the number of other ferry riders who would bring a fancy coffee, an Egg-McMuffin (or two), and a newspaper. Because the ride was so short they'd ditch half the coffee in the trash upon arriving at the terminal. Most would leave the newspaper on their ferry seat. Each day they were spending at least several dollars before even getting to work (or $1500+ per year).

The newspapers really got me. The same people used the ferry every workday. Surely they noticed that every fifth or sixth seat on the ferry had a discarded newspaper already sitting on it. I rarely ever got on and couldn't sit down next to a free-to-me newspaper to read - so why were they in the habit of buying one every day? The only things I can think of is they didn't want to "look cheap" or they think of "small" purchases like coffees & newspapers as insignificant. Of course insignificant purchases x hundreds of times become really significant. We here in MMM-land know that but it still boggles my mind that so many can't grasp the idea.

aussiesaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 06:46:56 AM »
My husband used to bring me home lots of expensive magazines when he would catch the train to work. People would leave them behind after paying a lot of money for them only an hour or so earlier. 

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 10:14:35 AM »

I've come to learn that many people in the US are very suspicious of tap water, even though the vast majority of tap water here is safe and many water bottlers are bottling the same water.  I travel for work and my coworkers are always jumping through hoops to buy cartons of water bottles to use for 3 or 4 days.  When I say I just drink it from the tap and bring my own bottle, they try to convince me it's not safe!

I've noticed this one too!  I recently went on a weekend vacation and we were 8 in total.  I was the only one who brought a reusable water bottle and just filled it from the tap.  One of the couples that came with even sent out an e-mail beforehand informing us that they would be stocking up on bottled water for the trip so that no one else would have to.  When I still used tap water someone asked "are you sure its safe?".  I just said something like "I'm sure its fine."  I think there's no way that you'd stay at a reputable hotel and they would not tell you if their tap water was not safe to drink.  I have no idea why people have become so afraid of regular tap water.

Second story, when I was a freshman in college I was auto placed to room with another girl in my dorm.  About a month in she asks me if I was using the tap water to drink and brush my teeth.  I was shocked that she asked me that and just responded with "of course".  Apparently she had been using bottled water to brush her teeth for the first month.  She was the bratty child of an obviously "well off" family and was totally spoiled, so apparently the college town of Urbana-Champaign was so backwoods that they might not have drinkable tap water.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »

I've noticed this one too!  I recently went on a weekend vacation and we were 8 in total.  I was the only one who brought a reusable water bottle and just filled it from the tap.  One of the couples that came with even sent out an e-mail beforehand informing us that they would be stocking up on bottled water for the trip so that no one else would have to.  When I still used tap water someone asked "are you sure its safe?".  I just said something like "I'm sure its fine."  I think there's no way that you'd stay at a reputable hotel and they would not tell you if their tap water was not safe to drink.  I have no idea why people have become so afraid of regular tap water.

Second story, when I was a freshman in college I was auto placed to room with another girl in my dorm.  About a month in she asks me if I was using the tap water to drink and brush my teeth.  I was shocked that she asked me that and just responded with "of course".  Apparently she had been using bottled water to brush her teeth for the first month.  She was the bratty child of an obviously "well off" family and was totally spoiled, so apparently the college town of Urbana-Champaign was so backwoods that they might not have drinkable tap water.

:O

I had no idea.  WTF?!

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 11:54:32 AM »

Is this in the wrong thread? This shit doesn't "make my day", it depresses me.

How about something from the flip side? I have a friend who is so Mustachian, she brings her own water bottle everywhere. She won't even use a glass at our home, because she doesn't want us to have to wash it (she does use our tap water, though). Of course, in and of itself, that's not terribly uncommon. The awesomely Mustachian part is that her "water bottle" is actually an old glass apple juice bottle that she has been carrying around for years.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »

How about something from the flip side? I have a friend who is so Mustachian, she brings her own water bottle everywhere. She won't even use a glass at our home, because she doesn't want us to have to wash it (she does use our tap water, though). Of course, in and of itself, that's not terribly uncommon. The awesomely Mustachian part is that her "water bottle" is actually an old glass apple juice bottle that she has been carrying around for years.
One of my fellow PTA members forgot her "water bottle" at the meeting last night.

It's an old mayo jar.

rencelas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »

Whatever it is, I'm pretty damn convinced something in the water makes football teams suck, so maybe she could let the people at Memorial Stadium know bottled water is the key?

Someday in my life we'll have a winning season.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »

There are actually parts of the USA where a significant number of houses and apartments still have lead solder, fixtures, and pipe.  In New York City, for example, there were lead service lines being installed until 1961 and lead was allowed in soldering and fixtures (just not the pipe) until 1987.  A lot of the houses and apartment buildings in that area, especially upstate, are more than 55 years old.  They've often been very well maintained and have gone up in value since there's lots of demand for real estate in that part of the country.  But it's not unusual for families who live in these older homes or apartments to have water coolers.

The municipal water supply is fine, and the main lines to public buildings were upgraded years ago, but the water in individual houses or apartments tends to have elevated levels of lead due to the lead in the pipes.  A lot of those upstate places are also on wells and septic tanks as opposed to town or city water (it's astounding how few services are often available in such an "affluent" area, in a neighborhood with $2M and $3M homes you'd expect there to be sidewalks, trash collection, and water mains... but that's a separate rant).  Anyway, if the student in question was from an affluent family that lived in one of those older homes, lead pipes may have been a fact of life for her.

Lead poisoning is a cumulative effect, although people tend to be more likely to get sick from lead paint than from lead in the water.  So yeah, there's some lead hysteria.

It's probably a lot less expensive to use a Culligan type system than to build a new house or to pay for a plumbing upgrade in an existing older place if it happens to have lead pipes.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
At various points I've owned stock in McDonald's, Disney, and Starbucks, companies I deplore for their non-mustachian products that cater to overconsumption. It always put a smile on my face to see people flocking to those places -- and when I've sold the stock for a tidy profit.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »
My coworker is living at home with his parents for 6 months to save money so he can afford to move out of state. Walks down to Starbucks every day for chai tea lattes and goes out for lunch most days.

Meanwhile, he thinks it's weird when I make coffee at my desk, bring breakfast and lunch, and use my lunch break to go on half hour walks outside.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 08:57:19 AM »

:O

I had no idea.  WTF?!

I had no idea that happened stateside. When I was deployed they told us to use bottled for brushing teeth, because the running water for bathing, etc. was just minimally purified greywater.

I grew up drinking tap water and never stopped, and have always thought it tremendously snobby to drink bottled water. Even worse, many people do it despite having very little income and living paycheck-to-paycheck.

CopperTex

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 09:20:23 AM »
What good does it do to laugh at other people and their "weakness"? Is this supposed to make you feel better about yourself? Maybe people who buy lattes do so because they like it and find it worth the 1k/year expense, or maybe they are just mindless? Who are we to judge? Who cares?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
What good does it do to laugh at other people and their "weakness"? Is this supposed to make you feel better about yourself? Maybe people who buy lattes do so because they like it and find it worth the 1k/year expense, or maybe they are just mindless? Who are we to judge? Who cares?
It amuses them to laugh. Me too. Not you?
But I do wonder, are we assuming these people get one every day, or do we actually observe enough data to establish patterns?
I buy one every now and then, although it's probably less than monthly for me, because I've accepted that I can make a better drink at home for less. The local heathens can neither spell "cappuccino" nor make one correctly - 9 times out of 10 I end up with a burned latte - whereas my $6 milk frother kicks out a rich, luxurious spume that stands up for hours unattended.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
It makes my day when SUVs drive through puddles and drench people biking on the road.

zoltani

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »
Is smugness a virtue nowadays?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »
Oh no, smug alert! Better smell my own farts!

zoltani

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 10:18:29 AM »
Oh no, smug alert! Better smell my own farts!

Can you please describe the bouquet?

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »
I get a certain satisfaction from passing cars on my bike when the traffic is bad.

It doesn't make happy that others are burning their time away sitting in cars, but I do enjoy the confirmation that biking is the right thing to do (for me).

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 11:28:19 AM »
People are stunned when I take their "pure" bottled water and show them the print which will say something like, "MWS Detroit".  I ask if they know what "MWS" stands for.  When they say they don't, I take great (smugness) in telling, "Municipal Water Source.  ...It's Detroit tap water."

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
The lead thing - I grew up in a state where many homes had unsafe tap water.  You had to drink from a brita type thing or bottled water.  Then I moved and I would still ask friends before pouring a glass of water "is your tap water safe?"  They looked at me like I had ten heads.  In my old state, everyone asked before using the tap.  I don't know if the issue was lead or another contaminate but it was very common. It was also apparently very expensive to fix, hence why most people just used bottled.  My house, luckily, had a well and an a-ok tap so I grew up on tap water but couldn't trust anyone elses.

zoltani

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 11:45:34 AM »
Bottled water isn't even held to the same water quality standards as municipal water! There are no standards. Crazy huh?

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »
My understanding is that lead water pipes are only an issue when the water has been sitting stagnant in the pipes for a time. If you're actually using the water daily, it's not a problem.

And yes, most bottled water is actually of poorer quality than most tap water. There have been multiple research studies on this. The reason being that most water bottling plants are set up where the land (and the water supply) is cheapest.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »
I actually find my foreign born friends are more likely to require bottled water than tap.  Two people I know who never use tap water were born in China & India.  I always drink tap not only for the cost savings but the avoidance of plastic.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »
People are stunned when I take their "pure" bottled water and show them the print which will say something like, "MWS Detroit".  I ask if they know what "MWS" stands for.  When they say they don't, I take great (smugness) in telling, "Municipal Water Source.  ...It's Detroit tap water."

That's actually really helpful for me. I grew up with Detroit tap water at home, so if I buy bottled water I try to get one that uses the same source. It tastes right to me.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 01:55:25 PM »
Because I am the sort of person who enjoys seeing a picture in a museum purely because I've seen it in a textbook, I'm delighted when I spot something y'all are talking about in real life. It's like anti-mustachian bingo. So far it's the same colleague, who 1. despite being an intelligent and analytic person believed Ramsey's debt snowball was mathematically the fastest way to pay off debts, and 2. bought Jamberry nails.

At various points I've owned stock in McDonald's, Disney, and Starbucks, companies I deplore for their non-mustachian products that cater to overconsumption. It always put a smile on my face to see people flocking to those places -- and when I've sold the stock for a tidy profit.

Sigh, yeah, my SO "had" to run out and buy a new thing of handsoap because we were out. Nevermind that I was going to the big box that weekend to buy a bulk refill and nevermind that we have dish soap and shower gel and multiple bars of soap that could have tided us over, he has to buy a new dispenser bottle from the pharmacy. I mean, it's not going to break the bank, it just struck me as weird. Anyway, I was gratified to see that the brand we use is made by Unilever, so at least in some miniscule way it adds to my dividends.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »
I don't relish in their misfortunate. I am just happy that I figured it out. I have students in my classes that complain that they have to work too much to pay the bills and their studies suffer. After class, I see many of them drive away in new cars. Students that have an old beater car tend to not complain about struggling to pay their bills.

My wife and I have become pretty good on frugal trips to Disney. Disney lets you bring in your own food and drink. We have a thermal backpack that we pack food. My favorite lunch to pack is a turkey, avocado, & bacon sandwich. Organic bread from Costco that is the best tasting bread I have ever had.

Instead of waiting 15-20 minutes in the hot sun for a $13 turkey leg or a $15 gross hamburger and fries, we get to eat a healthy and tasty meal right away.

Frugalite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »

One of my fellow PTA members forgot her "water bottle" at the meeting last night.

It's an old mayo jar.

This makes me smile just because there are so many other bottles she could have picked....she must like to chug her water and maybe likes the big mouth? I would spill it all over myself! lol!

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2015, 07:11:14 AM »
I watched a documentary on plastic waste in the oceans and landfills.  I don't care about the money people spend, but I do care about polluting our environment because people can't be bothered to bring their own water in a reusable water bottle.

Also, grocery bags.....good grief, why are we using so many grocery bags.  Can't we take a few mins to grab some old bags and reuse them.  It makes me very sad.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2015, 07:36:48 AM »
  Can't we take a few mins to grab some old bags and reuse them.  It makes me very sad.

I do this. Half the time I still get a clerk who bags a few things separate in plastic bags to put into my reusable ones!

If I say "oh, I don't need a plastic bag, they crumble it up and throw it in the trash"- so the bag is used either way!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2015, 08:45:43 AM »
I watched a documentary on plastic waste in the oceans and landfills.  I don't care about the money people spend, but I do care about polluting our environment because people can't be bothered to bring their own water in a reusable water bottle.

Also, grocery bags.....good grief, why are we using so many grocery bags.  Can't we take a few mins to grab some old bags and reuse them.  It makes me very sad.

The county my parents live in instituted a 5 cent tax on every plastic bag taken at checkout. This reduced plastic bag use, but apparently not by as much as the county had predicted.
Looks like they should raise the tax.

They should do this in more places. I can't really see the downside.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »
What does the money go to?

I'd say the downside is government interference. A lot of people prefer small government, but that's kind of a laughable concept in this day. 

I wish we had to pay for bags, assuming you got to request them, rather than just be forced to pay when the cashier gives you 30 bags when 3 would do.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:59 AM »

I'd say the downside is government interference. A lot of people prefer small government, but that's kind of a laughable concept in this day. 

I wish we had to pay for bags, assuming you got to request them, rather than just be forced to pay when the cashier gives you 30 bags when 3 would do.
Sounds like a strong incentive to bring your own, amirite? I'm forever forgetting to bring my reusable bags, so I get plastic and I recycle them religiously. If I got charged for each one, I'd stop forgetting with a quickness.
(Vaguely related: commissary baggers, whose pay is 100% tips, are the worst about overused bags. I'm talking, half full and everything double-bagged. My theory: they think more bags = more $$)
I'm all for minimal government interference, all else being equal, but if people insist on doing shit that hurts each other, the obvious solution is for government to intervene. That's a large part of the growth of regulations - the more we realize that what we do affects others, the more rules we make about it. In this era, those effects are increasing due to population pressures, as well as gaining awareness via our ever-increasing knowledge of the world and our ability to desseminate it.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »

The money goes to water quality and stormwater control programs. Makes sense considering bags are estimated to make up 1/3 of the litter found in streams and stormwater pounds in the county.

You're asked if you want a bag. My parents tried to reuse plastic bags before they instituted the tax but usually forgot. Now they always use their reusable bags, and have never paid the tax.

And I'm with zephyr911's stance on this government interference.

Interestingly, Target will give you 5 cents for every bag you bring and use. Which is kinda weird because what if you brought in like 30 bags and bagged each item separately? I've never tried that but I'm sure the cashier would only give you 5 cents for every bag that was actually necessary or something like that.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2015, 11:52:46 AM »

I use grocery bags to clean the litterboxes and trash liners for all but the kitchen trash.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »

I use grocery bags to clean the litterboxes and trash liners for all but the kitchen trash.

I actually stopped lining my non-kitchen trash cans once I read something about "gift wrapping" our trash.  Now I just dump them into the kitchen trash on pick-up day.  Way less bags go into the garbage this way.

I do still use my plastic bags for backyard cleanup after the dogs, but not at the rate the stores give them to me. And this is WITH bringing reusable bags.  They sneak them in there. Drives me crazy.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »

I actually stopped lining my non-kitchen trash cans once I read something about "gift wrapping" our trash.  Now I just dump them into the kitchen trash on pick-up day.  Way less bags go into the garbage this way.

I do still use my plastic bags for backyard cleanup after the dogs, but not at the rate the stores give them to me. And this is WITH bringing reusable bags.  They sneak them in there. Drives me crazy.
This is Mustachian environmentally but not financially: I actually buy my own biodegradable doggy bags instead of just using grocery bags. I thought about it for a while and decided I cared enough to drop a few bucks a year on a roll.
Now I can throw the bag in the compost pile when I get home instead of the trash.