Author Topic: Anti-Mustachian comments in the media  (Read 4242 times)

force majeure

• Stubble
Anti-Mustachian comments in the media
« on: January 06, 2017, 07:29:57 AM »
"You can skip your $5 Starbucks every day and save $10,000 over the next five years, but if you think $10,000 is going to change your life, you're not just broke, you're being stupid"

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/05/self-made-millionaire-here-are-5-ways-to-get-rich.html

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anti-Mustachian comments in the media
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »
His actual tips are kind of funny too, sort of "great gig if you can get it" sales mentality.

Shorter version:

1) get rich.
2) success!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »
He forgets that it is not just the skipped Starbucks. It is also the cheaper commuting, skipping the expensive gym, buying cheaper food, searching for cheaper insurances, not taking up car loans and expensive mortgages on a house, not the expensive vacations. It's the whole package.

Otherwise he probably has a point about becoming great at your job. That should make you a more attractive employee for higher and better paid positions.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 03:45:09 PM »
10K over 40 years in the market is 160K. Reminds me of the MMM article "Millionaires are Made $10 at a time"...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 08:08:06 PM »
He forgets that it is not just the skipped Starbucks. It is also the cheaper commuting, skipping the expensive gym, buying cheaper food, searching for cheaper insurances, not taking up car loans and expensive mortgages on a house, not the expensive vacations. It's the whole package.

Otherwise he probably has a point about becoming great at your job. That should make you a more attractive employee for higher and better paid positions.

The "latte factor" is a typical anti-mustachian strawman that conveniently forgets that cutting expensive coffee is 1) just an example, and 2) not the only thing recommended for cutting. The whole point is a few dollars here and there will add up.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 08:30:56 PM »
Ugh. Live, breath, eat and become obsessed with your job? No. No thanks.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 01:13:35 AM »
He's a fairly senior & prominent scientologist. I apply several extra levels of skepticism to anything he says.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »
I am constantly surprised by how many people don't shop around for best rates for insurance, etc.  Every Jan I look at prices for all this stuff to see if I can do better.  An occasional fancy coffee is fine but as a regular occurrence what a waste and no longer is it a treat. I get  one at the airport when I fly which is once or 2x's/year. When I was young we lived like most of our friends did which was frugal. Now it is seen as a big deal if someone is frugal instead of the norm.  We were all well aware that we had to save for our future, etc. Now I know not all the boomers lived like that but all my friends did. 

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/01/04/republicans_are_secretly_killing_the_mortgage_interest_deduction.html

Anything that mentions changes to home values like this article which also mentions that housing is either a major or the biggest source of middle class families not just as a statement of fact but as a good thing.  If you have more money in primary residence equity than in your retirement accounts you are probably doing it wrong.  Anytime someone mentions this fact on TV, someone else should straight up say that's not how it should be.  I'm pretty sure that all the big news players are guilty of this as well.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 11:10:15 AM »
That article is all kinds of wrong.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!