Author Topic: Anti-Index Fund Article that contradicts itself numerous times  (Read 1937 times)

Poobearius Maximus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
https://money.usnews.com/investing/buy-and-hold-strategy/articles/2018-03-20/why-index-funds-may-not-be-your-best-bet-now

In the actual article:

"And while passive funds generally have lower fees that result in more favorable returns over the long haul, plenty of actively managed funds have lowered their expenses to be competitive and have long track records of providing great returns, says Matthew Murawski, a financial planner with Goodstein Wealth Management in Encino, California."

I think I need to read through this thread more often.

Poobearius Maximus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anti-Index Fund Article that contradicts itself numerous times
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »
https://money.usnews.com/investing/buy-and-hold-strategy/articles/2018-03-20/why-index-funds-may-not-be-your-best-bet-now

In the actual article:

"And while passive funds generally have lower fees that result in more favorable returns over the long haul, plenty of actively managed funds have lowered their expenses to be competitive and have long track records of providing great returns, says Matthew Murawski, a financial planner with Goodstein Wealth Management in Encino, California."

I think I need to read through this thread more often.

Didn't read the article but your quote doesn't sound bad to me.

My point mainly being the contradiction that the article is promoting Actively Managed funds but says in the article, "And while passive funds generally have lower fees that result in more favorable returns over the long haul..." which is admitting that generally passive funds will payoff a higher return so why in the wild world of Carmen San Diego would you chose Actively managed funds?

I will say I did read a couple of things recently about the significant increase in passive investments as a percentage of the market reaching records highs which could be interesting to see what happens there.  Don't have the links, but it's interesting stuff to think about.

Regards,
-PB

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!