Author Topic: Another car example: "I need a larger vehicle"  (Read 7082 times)

exterous

• Stubble
Another car example: "I need a larger vehicle"
« on: April 30, 2019, 05:36:09 AM »
I was talking to a friend last night who was telling me about her new car. They just had their second child in January and the older one is 2 and a half. So she told me "Now that I have a second child I needed a larger car. I had to get something with third row seating." I guess two mid size SUVs in the family wasn't enough so they replaced her's with a Ford Flex. Her and I have very different definitions of "need" and "I had to"

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles
Re: Another car example: "I need a larger vehicle"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 08:12:59 AM »
I see that kind of insane justification on Bogleheads all the time.  I find it a little ridiculous.  No, they really don't need a three row SUV because they aren't raising sumo wrestler-linebackers...but people are going to look for anyway to justify their expenditures.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:35:40 AM »
I’ve only gotten a small handful of comments about needing a bigger car, but when they do happen I pout out that my kids are small people and are going to stay small for a good long while. Three car seats fit across the back row of my GTI and that is all we need.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »
We've been told several times that having a small dog and a kid would require us to buy a vehicle larger than our '05 Corolla.  It's weird because My mom, dad, small dog, sister and I all fit just fine in a Ford Tempo for 12-13 hour drives when I was a kid.  My family has both a bigger car and fewer people.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
Ha funny.  When my bestie was pregnant with twins, she was sad about having to give up her car (a 2-year old RAV), because she wouldn't be able to fit 3 car seats in it.

Which, she may have been able to squeeze but in my experience, and a little bit of searching, learned that the RAV and a few other Toyotas aren't well laid out for 3 carseats.

I said "time to get the minivan!"  She said no, because ... it was her husband's turn to buy a car and he didn't want a minivan.  He had an old car that was on its last legs.

ME: But BFF, you should just get the minivan.
BFF: He doesn't want one.

So...he gets an Explorer with the third row.

Fast forward a few months.  Babies are born, I stop by with lunch one day to treat her and catch up and be social.  As I park, I see a brand new minivan in the driveway!  It's a work day.

Me: What's with the minivan?
BFF: Oh mm1970 - the Explorer, OMG - we CANNOT get our 3 year old into the back seat past the two bucket car seats!  In order to get him into his carseat in the back, we have to get him into the car through the trunk!

So they got the minivan.  And kept the explorer.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 02:17:13 PM »
Ugh. That sounds like my worst nightmare.

We have a GTI and a RAV4 (well, really a RAV2 ;-) ) and the back seat of the GTI is not any smaller. A lot depends on what car seats you get. I specifically chose the smallest convertible car seat on the market so I cohoe fit two of them back there and still have room for an adult. I never planned for three, but we can put them back there also.

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 04:44:34 PM »
We upgraded from a Caliber (bigger than a hatchback, smaller than a station wagon) when we had 3 kids. It wasn't the car seats, we could fit 3 across, it was the rest of the stuff- we could either put the dog in, or the groceries, or the suitcases, or the double stroller. The (used) minivan was a good choice as we can also use it to haul lumber/drywall/dump loads for the side hustle. Bonus, it's big enough for kid #4. It's our only vehicle, though.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 05:14:59 PM »
Ha funny.  When my bestie was pregnant with twins, she was sad about having to give up her car (a 2-year old RAV), because she wouldn't be able to fit 3 car seats in it.

Which, she may have been able to squeeze but in my experience, and a little bit of searching, learned that the RAV and a few other Toyotas aren't well laid out for 3 carseats.

I said "time to get the minivan!"  She said no, because ... it was her husband's turn to buy a car and he didn't want a minivan.  He had an old car that was on its last legs.

Fast forward a few months.  Babies are born, I stop by with lunch one day to treat her and catch up and be social.  As I park, I see a brand new minivan in the driveway!  It's a work day.

BFF: Oh mm1970 - the Explorer, OMG - we CANNOT get our 3 year old into the back seat past the two bucket car seats!  In order to get him into his carseat in the back, we have to get him into the car through the trunk!

That’s a man that has a small, well he’s compensating for something. Surprised he didn’t buy a dually 4 door f-350 and only use it to drive to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 06:28:40 PM »
6 kids, we bought a used 15-passenger van. We had to take the back row out to make room for a stroller and groceries. Works well with two kids per row of seats. We had 5 in the minivan but it was a bit tight.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 06:48:00 PM »
6 kids, we bought a used 15-passenger van. We had to take the back row out to make room for a stroller and groceries. Works well with two kids per row of seats. We had 5 in the minivan but it was a bit tight.
These are the situations where a large vehicle makes sense. For the other 90% of us, it usually doesn’t.

An old high school friend called them LPTs: Little Penis Trucks.

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »
I will admit that I wish we had a slightly bigger car. The SO drives a Yaris and when we're both in there, we are always elbowing each other and it irritates the crap out of me. My Matrix is barely (if any) bigger and that seems to solve most of the issue but we still almost always take his car. A car payment would be even more irritating I suppose.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 01:44:18 PM »

That’s a man that has a small, well he’s compensating for something. Surprised he didn’t buy a dually 4 door f-350 and only use it to drive to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EH, he's a nice guy.  Quiet.  Engineer.  Got rid of his Jeep for the Ford.  I guess he cares more about cars than we do.  When I met and married my husband he had a 80s rusted Chevy Nova.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 08:21:53 AM »

I see this so often.  I have to bite my tongue and tell myself that I can't force people to see the world the way I do.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »
We recently traded in the minivan for a Prius and I cannot believe the number of people that think we just made a horrible mistake.

When we got the minivan there were 3 kids and 1 on the way.  Today all 6 of us have not been in the same car for probably 5-6 months, the oldest is working on a plan to move out and even just the 5 of us have probably only been in the car at the same time a handful of times in the last 6 months.  So 90% of the time it is SO and 3 kids (the 2nd oldest is old enough for the front seat), and I just cannot figure out why so many people are upset about 4 people in a Prius.

One person tried to use the convince of hauling stuff in the van ... SO has a small truck for work.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:47:51 AM by Slow&Steady »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »
The first time we got pregnant we visited some friends with two little kids. They waxed poetic about their big “mini”van and made it sound like we wouldn’t be able to live without one once we reproduced. Ive never quite understood the logic of a bigger vehicle once kids come along. Kids are smaller than adults, quite a bit so. Even with car seats they are still smaller. If my seats are now occupied by smaller people, why do I need them to be bigger?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 11:10:22 AM »
The first time we got pregnant we visited some friends with two little kids. They waxed poetic about their big “mini”van and made it sound like we wouldn’t be able to live without one once we reproduced. Ive never quite understood the logic of a bigger vehicle once kids come along. Kids are smaller than adults, quite a bit so. Even with car seats they are still smaller. If my seats are now occupied by smaller people, why do I need them to be bigger?
It depends on the size of the kids, the number of kids (how many carseats), and your travel preferences.  I will admit that road trips and camping trips in a Matrix are difficult.  (Our last road trip, we actually rented an SUV and there were MUCH fewer complaints.)

Also depends on the size of your kids.  My kids are small.  I have friends with taller/ bigger kids and they would have a tough time in the back seat of my car.  When your kids hit 12 years old and everyone in the family is 5'10" or taller...

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 12:04:31 PM »
Mine are 5 and 2 and my husband and I aren’t too much over 5 feet ourselves. We are just fine in our little car. :)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »
I live in Boglehead-ville surrounded by giant SUVs. We used to have one, but we downsized from a Honda Pilot to a CRV last year (our second car is an 11 year old Civic with 55k miles on it. It will last forever). My husband was extremely reluctant to go down to something smaller but he couldn't argue with the numbers. Now we get the same gas mileage (30mph) in the CRV that we do in the Civic, with enough room for most travel. If we really "need" something bigger for a longer road trip we'll rent something for a week or two. I did the math and it would take 48 weeks of renting something bigger to break even on the cost of replacing the Pilot with something comparable vs. something smaller.

Most people around us would never understand. Yes, the Pilot was handy during club soccer carpool days when we only had to drive one way once per week and split duties with three other families. We also had an 18 day road trip with 3 kids where we covered 19 states and 6000 miles; it was really nice for that. But, for the most part, it was just a gas guzzling monstrosity. With the oldest going off to college this fall, we easily fit 4 of us in the Civic or CRV these days. Buying the car that you need for 90% of your use cases is much more economical!

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 02:49:24 PM »
I'll cop to doing this. When it was time to get rid of our tiny 20-year-old sedan, we bought a 10-year-old minivan (cash). We had just added kid #2 and already had a 100-lb dog. It has been really nice for the long road trips we take to visit family and for frequent weekend camping trips--now we can bring the dog AND kid bikes! DH takes it for work trips that occasionally involve sleeping in it. For day-to-day life, it's overkill. But for trips, it has been a great luxury. If we hadn't been able to find this particular model (Sienna) for the price/mileage point that we found, we wouldn't have gone for it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:51:04 PM by tyrannostache »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 10:13:03 AM »
Once upon a time many years ago we bought a small SUV that on its best days saw 26 mpg. Fast forward twenty years and we have a three row AWD crossover that on its best day gets 29 mpg (28 is easy on the interstate). Around town the MPG is worse of course.

The small car MPG advantage is narrowing if a person shops carefully. Be sure to do the whole math for your family. Its more than the cost of fuel. Its also bigger tires on the SUV. Insurance and taxes. It might be the cost benefit of a less popular sedan or hatchback vs more popular SUV. A minivan might provide the larger vehicle at a cost lower than the SUV b/c minivans aren't as popular. The cost of maintaining the newer vehicle vs the older vehicle. I don't figure depreciation or trade-in value b/c we keep our cars forever. There isn't much left but we like a clean used vehicle instead of new so there is that savings.

We also decrease our fuel consumption by driving less. I very much encourage no-drive Saturdays or Sundays. Plan ahead, have your shopping done, and stay home (or bicycle if you can).

Our sedan just didn't have enough space for kids over ~12 to ride long distances comfortably. Our small SUV did but even that ran short on luggage space for holiday trips when we were trying to haul overnight bags, gifts, the family dog and a few pre-made dishes of food. Our current bigger but not huge crossover does this much better but even it has its limits.

What I would never consider is a body on frame truck or SUV b/c my family's needs just don't warrant something like that. Like it or not, unibody FWD/AWD crossovers or minivans are fair family haulers for that stage when the kids are getting taller and the family just won't fit in the compact  car we used to drive in college.  We can find the $$$ savings elsewhere to offset the larger vehicle for our teens' years.

I do look forward to someday driving the more frugal vehicles more often but it makes me sad to think that it will mean our kids are grown and moved on.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 10:32:55 PM »
I'll cop to doing this. When it was time to get rid of our tiny 20-year-old sedan, we bought a 10-year-old minivan (cash). We had just added kid #2 and already had a 100-lb dog. It has been really nice for the long road trips we take to visit family and for frequent weekend camping trips--now we can bring the dog AND kid bikes! DH takes it for work trips that occasionally involve sleeping in it. For day-to-day life, it's overkill. But for trips, it has been a great luxury. If we hadn't been able to find this particular model (Sienna) for the price/mileage point that we found, we wouldn't have gone for it.

We really enjoyed our Sienna but it was.rough sometimes with the three oldest boys crammed together in car seats and booster seats in the back plus a baby and toddler in the two middle seats. Comfortable vehicle, good performance, nice handling, etc. Fit in a garage without worrying about hitting the top or sides every time....

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 11:24:49 PM »
I refuse to buy any car that weighs over 3000 pounds. Smaller = easier to park, easier to accelerate and more fun to drive.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 06:04:57 AM »
I had a two door Jeep Wrangler when my son was born.  We had intended to drive it until he was about 2, but it took about 8 months of having to crawl into the backseat to get him in and out for us to go ahead and upgrade.  I fell getting him out one day and we both hit the pavement.  I was done after that. 

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 07:18:12 AM »
Instead of a mini van, I built this.

More than enough room.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 07:37:50 AM »
When I see all these people justifying bigger cars because they need to move the dogs around, it really drives home how expensive these dogs are.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 09:40:02 AM »
I find it interesting that having two kids seem to be the trigger to buy a three row car, in Sweden a lot of people joke about only having two kids to not have to buy such car. Honestly, I know several families with three kids who don't get one either, if the kids are spaced right you may be able to manage with a regular car. Our neighbors with 4 kids recently downsized their 7 seat car to a 5 seat since the oldest son is a teen and mostly refuse to go on family trips so they don't need a big car anymore. Out of the younger ones only two have car seats and both are in boosters so they don't need as much space.

I think that if we had three kids we would consider a bigger car with more seats but we haven't had a thought of it with two. Once they get older we will most likely get a smaller car than the one we have now too but that will be in a couple years at the earliest and more likely when the youngest is 10 or so.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »
Our use for the minivan (with 2 kids) involved optimizing around a very specific set of road trips (900 km to Florda and 1200 km to Missouri) that could be achieved with six people in the car. In addition, my wife was finding it frustrating to move my own parents around when they visit, as they live quite far away and don't have a lot of facility navigating the local streets. I'm sure that driving something smaller and renting the minivan for those trips would have been a little cheaper, upon reflection. Most of my daily driving is done with a Toyota Camry.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
Which is to say: it's not just the household of four, it's the common fifth and sixth passengers that emerge from family use.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 12:22:48 PM »
My nephew is expecting child #4.  He currently has a minivan and an old small car which is on it's last legs (i.e. has begun to need occasional repair work).  He was talking about NEEDING to replace small car with new large truck or SUV for family of 6.

Me: Your wife drives a minivan.  You should get a small car that's good on gas for commuting.
Him: But sometime I have to drive the kids around so I need 6 passengers.
Me:  If you are driving the kids, that means your wife isn't there.  You only need 5.  If wife is with you, then just take the van.
Him:  Oh.

Note - His oldest is 13 and tall enough to ride in front seat.

Gustaf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »
My wife drives a 2008 bmw 520 (the car belongs to her grandfather but she gets to drive it for free). The car is considered to be quite big here in Europe. Now that we are expecting our first child my MIL says that the car is much too small now and we should buy a new one. They always take a loan and buy a new car every 4 years...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 12:02:18 PM »
My nephew is expecting child #4.  He currently has a minivan and an old small car which is on it's last legs (i.e. has begun to need occasional repair work).  He was talking about NEEDING to replace small car with new large truck or SUV for family of 6.

Me: Your wife drives a minivan.  You should get a small car that's good on gas for commuting.
Him: But sometime I have to drive the kids around so I need 6 passengers.
Me:  If you are driving the kids, that means your wife isn't there.  You only need 5.  If wife is with you, then just take the van.
Him:  Oh.

Note - His oldest is 13 and tall enough to ride in front seat.

to be fair, if both spouses work, it could be that spouse #1 drops kids off to school, spouse #2 picks them up and takes them home or after school activities.
the spouses could be working at opposite ends of the town while the schools might be closer to home.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2019, 01:01:34 PM »
When I see all these people justifying bigger cars because they need to move the dogs around, it really drives home how expensive these dogs are.
Pft, I've driven across the country with six Australian shepherds in an old station wagon.  People love to use dogs or kids as an excuse to buy something stupid.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 09:00:58 AM »
Our dog doesn't care what she rides in. She's ~40 lbs and her happiest place is curled up between whoever is occupying the back seat b/c she will likely be petted.

I guess if a person has two or three 125+ lb dogs they'll need a big vehicle. Choices, choices though. I'd love to have a couple of horses or a ski boat but big vehicles, barn, trailer etc. Happy for friends who do have those things.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 09:13:33 AM »
I guess if a person has two or three 125+ lb dogs they'll need a big vehicle.

Sturdy roof rack and straps.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »
There was a person hauling a dog on the roof a year or so ago that made the national news. The police wrote them a ticket.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 09:32:09 AM »

I said "time to get the minivan!"  She said no, because ... it was her husband's turn to buy a car and he didn't want a minivan.  He had an old car that was on its last legs..............So they got the minivan.  And kept the explorer.

I got my first minivan at 23. My mom didn't need hers anymore, and so I gave her $5000. She'd have just given it to me, but I was very weird about getting stuff for free.

Guy in my condo development sees the van says he just couldn't make the leap. Instead, he had a huge SUV. It was 2006, so think gas prices, also.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »
Soon-to-be-BIL got himself a 4-door pickup. He doesn't haul stuff or own a landscaping co; he just likes trucks.

He marries my sister who has a 2-door car. They have a baby, so now has an SUV. They still have the big pickup.

His commute is 40 miles and hers is 15.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!