Author Topic: .....and the all time Wall of Shame Award goes to this poor sap  (Read 24585 times)

surfhb

.....and the all time Wall of Shame Award goes to this poor sap
« on: November 06, 2014, 03:36:09 AM »
Here's a doozy of a thread from the Boglehead site.   Hand slapping forehead   LOL

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150136

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
Re: .....and the all time Wall of Shame Award goes to this poor sap
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:11:19 AM »
Oh dear...that guy has it rough, but he's not even willing to admit it. Why ask for advice if all you're going to do is complain about your wife's spending and say that you can't change your spending? 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 07:20:32 AM »
I have realized that a 5 year car loan is not wise for buying used cars

he had to "do the math" to figure that out?!!?!??!

and who doesn't plan on some slush for unexpected maintenance/repairs when buying a house? just, what the fuck?

at least people in the comments are giving him some gentle facepunches.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 07:48:38 AM »
The heart of their issues is summed up by one line: "I guess what I am asking for, is how do you find the balance between paying off debt and living life?"

Once someone can de-couple happiness from spending, it gets easier.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 08:16:08 AM »
"I am upset, because I have invested wisely since I have learned how to save and invest, but it seems like life just keeps on kicking me to the nuts these past two years"

wtf, he owe almost 400 grants, it's not exactly what I call saving and investing wisely!

Instead of loosing his tome on Bogleheads forum, he should spent some time reading MMM then come arround here and get some real deserved facepunches !

Life and badluck are the problem, Toyota Matrix 2009 is not a reliable car etc.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:27:45 AM »
The heart of their issues is summed up by one line: "I guess what I am asking for, is how do you find the balance between paying off debt and living life?"

Once someone can de-couple happiness from spending, it gets easier.

yeah, or similarly the part where he says, "it's hard when you have a wife who's really into friends and family"... wait, really? because friends and family actually do not cost money and, I would think, would make it EASIER to feel happy and fulfilled without spending a ton (as we all well know).

very sad, I hope he sees the light!

MrBuckBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »
The center of this guy's problems is his refusal to accept responsibility for anything.  I see a LOT of blame going around, but nothing on him.

Ex-wife racked up a lot of debt (check)
cheated by an ex-girlfriend (check)
guy who is responsible for calculating taxes messed up (check)
Appliances failed (check)
camshaft issues, which Toyota refuses to acknowledge (check)
$25,000 in personal debt ($6k left from my ex-wife's $12k that she left for me, plus the loan on the car, I got stuck with both) (check - note how nothing he lists here is "his fault"?)
We had a nice emergency fund, but flooding of the basement and plumbing issues ate that up fast (check)
I am trying to be optimistic, but a bout of bad luck always seems to be just waiting to hit us (check)

So what DOES he have to say about himself?

I have invested wisely (check)

This whole post just drips with "me vs. the world" whereas OP is perfect, and the world is screwing him over.  I have found, the best financial improvements in my life come at the expense of my ego.  I see the problems in my finances, and for the most part, I accept them as MY problems.  If you can't take ownership over your own life, what use is buying a car or a house?  You shouldn't own things if you can't first own your mistakes as well as your triumphs.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 09:04:45 AM »
MrBuckBeard, pretty good resume. That's exactly what this guy should aknowledge first. If you don't control your mind/life, than other will. He may be right (everyone is against him) but he should include himself in that complot

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 09:14:12 AM »

Slight thread-jack here....is the 2009 Matrix worse than others?  I have an 05 and it's been really good to me. 

Back on topic - do cars really have expensive repairs after 4 years?  We've had to do some work on our car, but nothing atrociously expensive.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 09:27:21 AM »
A dozen simple suggestions were thrown at him and he shot down every single one of them, or pre-passed the blame to his wife that it'll never wash.  At the same time he kinda admits his hair is on fire he proclaims he'd buy an $80k car for "reliability" in a heart beat if he had the money.  He won't get a loan for a used car, but he insists on leasing a brand new one. It's hilarious that he's trying to prove to a frugal-minded community that it's dangerous to own a car with more than 100k miles and 35k miles is his magic threshold.   

Some of the face punches were gentle, and others were thrown without pity.  When he provides gems like this he has it coming:

My wife I know, will not give up cable, Starbucks, and attending social functions such as weddings for friends, especially family, and parties where she feels obligated to attend to...Christmas coming we have another big expense. We budgeted $600 this year and limit it to cash only, no borrowing - we'll see how my wife handles that

Holy shit!  He's $250k in debt (before mortgage) with a baby on the way and his primary concern is how to maintain his overspending lifestyle.

MrBuckBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 09:32:23 AM »
Holy shit!  He's $250k in debt (before mortgage) with a baby on the way and his primary concern is how to maintain his overspending lifestyle.

Yeah, but again, it's not HIS overspending lifestyle.  Nope.  It's the wife's need to get Starbucks.  Which follows the trend of not accepting responsibility.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »

Slight thread-jack here....is the 2009 Matrix worse than others?  I have an 05 and it's been really good to me. 

Back on topic - do cars really have expensive repairs after 4 years?  We've had to do some work on our car, but nothing atrociously expensive.
Depends on how well they are taken care of. I had a car for 10 years and the most expensive repair I had was struts at maybe $1200. But if you don't keep up on maintenance you can end up with not only more expensive repairs but a laundry list of minor repairs that really add up once you get around to doing them. A friend spent $4-5k on his car last year for a pile of normal minor repairs that had been put off for a couple of years

Most cars repairs are corellated use (miles per year and wich kind of miles). I drive a 2006 Civic with 150k miles on it and my maintenance/repairs are about 2 cents/mile. Driving 5k a year, it sums to 100$ on average. If I crash that car or it get stolen, I would replace it with something similar,  maybe a Fit

I would agree a RelianK 1987 with 350k miles may be not very reliable XD

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »

Depends on how well they are taken care of. I had a car for 10 years and the most expensive repair I had was struts at maybe $1200. But if you don't keep up on maintenance you can end up with not only more expensive repairs but a laundry list of minor repairs that really add up once you get around to doing them. A friend spent $4-5k on his car last year for a pile of normal minor repairs that had been put off for a couple of years

Our family car is a 2003 Ford Focus with 115,000 miles on it (bought in 2005).  We've spent maybe $2500 in unforeseen repairs in that time (two windshields, wheel damage from ice, and tensioner and belts).  The tensioner and related parts came out to a $1000 repair bill and one of my coworkers asked about replacing the car.  I laid out that not only is this repair rare, it was mostly budgeted for, and it's still drastically cheaper than a car payment.  The math still beats out a similar used car until it starts falling apart.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
This guy will probably be ending his 2nd marriage before he makes a dent in his debt. Poor sap.

MrBuckBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 11:43:48 AM »
This guy will probably be ending his 2nd marriage before he makes a dent in his debt. Poor sap.

Then she'll be on the list of bad things.  Ex #2 wouldn't stop buying Starbucks.  Couldn't pay off debt, she piled on more.  Now she's taking me to the cleaners for way too much child support.  My lawyer messed up the response and now I'm on the hook for twice as much as I should be.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »

Yeah, we had to do struts, and there was an exhaust issue that the dealership quotes us $1600, but our local garage came up with a much better solution at $700 (rather than replacing an entire ssytem, they just replaced a bad pipe within the system).

Still so much less than a car payment.

My car has about 260 000 km on it.  It's high, but we do a very non-mustachian amount of driving.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »

No. His was under warranty. He just forgot.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »

Then she'll be on the list of bad things.  Ex #2 wouldn't stop buying Starbucks.  Couldn't pay off debt, she piled on more.  Now she's taking me to the cleaners for way too much child support.  My lawyer messed up the response and now I'm on the hook for twice as much as I should be.

more than a probability !

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »
"I don't charge anything, if I can help it, for social life stuff. Any debt incurred would have to be either car repairs, healthcare, or house repairs. My wife and I try to refrain from using credit cards for non-essentials."

Excellent choice. This frees up all of his net monthly income for fun stuff. The things he really needs can go to hell, charge that shit, it's not what you really wanted anyway.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
I get a write off by owning my home, so renting is out of the question.

ok then

NewbieFrugalUK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
That thread just took an hour of my life! I don't  think that guy can possibly be for real. He started the whole thing based on should he lease a car because his 09 Matrix was such a lemon and it was costing him loads, but he 'forgot' he still  had 30000 miles of platinum  warranty on it??

Caella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 05:58:42 AM »
The sad thing, I know someone EXACTLY like him.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 06:38:46 AM »
Wait isn't this really all Obama's fault? That's what happens when you elect an Orange man to President.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 07:54:17 AM »
They could give a try with 9,9%

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
Wow!

I feel sorry for him simply because he's had some setbacks in the last couple years. However, his mindset needs to change 180 degrees. It's time to take responsibility and control of his financial life. Time to stop being a passenger and get behind the wheel.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »
It gets better, he goes into more detail http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150319

CHeck out his list of sacred cows, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad, who am I kidding it's still hilarious.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 10:12:30 AM »
someone brought up an awesome point:

As a teacher, what subjects does she teach at school? I hope it is not Math!!!

With a 120K student loans and being a teacher(lower share of 116K salary of you two), does she have any idea if she is able to bring a NET Income after her loan payments, her car & gas usage(as per you, not work related but personal driving) and her cable and other Wants?? Forget about contributing to utilities or food, just her expenses and loan payments should wipe out her income.
Maybe just showing her those on an excel sheet should open her mindset.

seeing something like that in my case would humble me alot.

the wife, who has a so many sacred cows she might as well have a sacred farm, is actually a net loss as an asset herself

MrBuckBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
1. The house (both of us) $1,580/month
2. Cable (wife) $75/month
3. Wife's smartphone plan (for herself) - I know I can get us a better deal with equal coverage for $75, but she won't give up her provider :oops: $64/month
4. Netflix (both of us) $10/month

That's his list of "absolute" sacred cows.  Seriously?  So if he's ever faced with being homeless, he still can't get rid of his wife's smartphone.  Man we are in a strange world.  My only absolute sacred cow is roof and food.  Not that I'd ever be in a position to just have those two things, but if I were, I wouldn't go about paying for a smart phone so I could stream my Netflix to it.  He really needs to know what the word "luxury" means.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
He calls for trolls in his second thread. He must be a troll himself. I mean, he joined Bogleheads forum in 2007 and still dont get it ? Troll or complete idiot !

MrBuckBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »
He says his income is $115k, if you exclude his second job.  After he pays all his bills, he has $600 left over.  That's with, what I think appear to be, the minimum or "standard" amount that he tosses at his debts each month.

$600.

I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others, but I'm going to anyway.  I make $55k, not including my side job (which probably nets less than what his does).  I have $1200 left over in a month, and I'm working to get more.

I'm just struck by the idea that he makes twice what I make, and only have half the savings to show for it. 

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »
This is hilarious.  Sad, but hilarious.  I love this response to his post:

"You ask for advice, and then you stick with your unnecessarily expensive car prejudices. I have a car twenty years old and an even older one, and they do not cost me big bucks in repairs.

The maintenance of the house and other issues that seem to you like thunderbolts from the sky are (1) expected when you own a house, and (2) probably could have been solved more cheaply.

You say you spend little on your social life, but the reality is your ex-wife took you to the cleaners, it's not clear what the girl friend did, and you now have a wife who is a spendthrift. When the poster up above mentioned your social life costing you money, that, I believe, is what he meant.

What you most need is to think rationally and frugally about your situation. You are not doing that now.

p.s. Get rid of the cable. Have a talk with your wife about spending.

Update: I see people above have already said this."

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »
Just wait.  Between the two threads, there have been at least 5 or 6 recommendations to these forums and MMM's blog.  :-)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »
OMG. I'm still on page 1 of the first thread, but my head's already exploded.

They have student loan of 200K, and they bought a house.  <boom>

He is an "avid saver." Savings: $100 per month.   <boom>  (OK, that's not counting debt payments.) 

There's a baby on the way.  <boom>

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:32:38 PM by NoraLenderbee »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 02:56:53 AM »
OMG. I'm still on page 1 of the first thread, but my head's already exploded.

They have student loan of 200K, and they bought a house.  <boom>

He is an "avid saver." Savings: $100 per month.   <boom>  (OK, that's not counting debt payments.) 

There's a baby on the way.  <boom>

I can't find the post, but I thought he said he was 40. And he's cracking on about how he has good retirement savings - more than most of his peers.

$35k. ???

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 08:09:21 AM »
What a ridiculous situation -- and he blames it all on other people and poor luck.  Idiot.  He can't see that he's the one who borrowed all that money, demands things he considers "necessities" but are actually luxuries, and isn't willing to make the tough choices that could get him out of financial trouble.  Idiot. 

In spite of having been prodigious savers all our adult lives, my husband and I have "been done wrong" by a mortgage lender, and we have had some "rough patches" in which multiple expensive things hit us all at once -- leaking roof, daughter broke her arm /we had high deductible insurance, washing machine died.  Yeah, we've had periods of time in which we felt we were just hemoraging money.  Those times don't last.  Thing is, we NEVER thought we could get through those times with borrowing and blame! 

Instead, he's trying to set limits on what's acceptable debt -- as if 10% interest is acceptable! 

I don't want to wish anything bad on this guy, but I'm 100% certain he's heading for a second divorce and even worse financial issues.  He's choosing to close his eyes to the truth, so he's doomed to repeat his mistakes over and over. 

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 12:25:51 PM »
Just wait.  Between the two threads, there have been at least 5 or 6 recommendations to these forums and MMM's blog.  :-)

Including a link to this thread.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »

Including a link to this thread.

Yeah, I saw that too! Funny.

I stand by my prediction that in 2 years he'll be divorced again (her fault) and whinging about how she took his leased car and he had to lease another one. Despite the fact that he thinks I'm a troll. :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 12:45:40 AM »
In spite of having been prodigious savers all our adult lives, my husband and I have "been done wrong" by a mortgage lender, and we have had some "rough patches" in which multiple expensive things hit us all at once -- leaking roof, daughter broke her arm /we had high deductible insurance, washing machine died.  Yeah, we've had periods of time in which we felt we were just hemoraging money.  Those times don't last.  Thing is, we NEVER thought we could get through those times with borrowing and blame! 

If you aren't interested in the early FIRE date that a lot of us are, you can actually mess up quit a bit in your financial life and come out ok. My father has been un or underemployed most of my life (I'm 26) and is now a UPS driver after being an executive in a Fortune 500 firm a decade ago. They had to buy medical insurance for all of us for years. My parents paid for private education for their children when the public schools were untenable, and went into considerable debt to do so. They have almost no equity in their house. My dad went through a divorce that halved his net worth when he was in his mid-thirties and didn't start saving for retirement until after then.

And yet, and 67 and 55:
1. They own a successful, popular, 25 year old small business that has experienced years of 10%+ annual profit growth. I think it earns them about $70,000/annum right now and my mother LOVES that store.
2. When my dad claims social security in 3 years, it will be around $40,000/annum.
3. He has another $8,000/annum in pensions that are being deferred until he retires at 70.
4. Last time he bothered to open his IRA statements (my dad is a Boglehead from way back), he had $1.2 million in there or something.
5. Eventually my mother will be able to collect SS, and since she's significantly younger, she may well draw my father's very large social security check for long after he's dead.

This despite a couple DECADES long streak of poor luck and some really unmustachian decisions. They could retire tomorrow, but I think they are waiting for my brother to get a job in NYC, my dad to turn 70, and us to get settled in a home we own. Then they will sell the store and buy an apartment in Queens to be near their kids.

My husband and I are young (26 and 29) and we could almost enjoy a mustachian retirement starting at a "normal" retirement age without saving another dime, just because we were smart and saved hard for a few years after graduation, provided we don't do anything flagrantly stupid in the next 40 years.

Are you... latin?

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
If you aren't interested in the early FIRE date that a lot of us are, you can actually mess up quit a bit in your financial life and come out ok.
I don't know . . . some people tend to screw up, drift from place to place, make this and that mistake, and they still have "enough".  But others are never able to recover from a couple big mistakes.  I suppose it depends upon the salary these individuals command and just how big the mistakes are. 

Also, I fear it's becoming harder to recover from financial mistakes.  That is, I worry more about my children than about myself.  I think their generation has more financial pitfalls, and if they don't "do right" early in their lives, I think it's getting harder to "catch up". 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 11:44:26 AM »
Out of curiosity, mrspete, what pitfalls do you think are growing?

I'm 24, and things seem pretty easy. Granted, no kids and no house and nobody to answer to but myself, which helps. Earn dollars, save many of them, invest, forget, et voila much later when I want them if I want them.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »
Borrowing is to easy today.

Big lenders just don't care on individuals. They run some probability charts and throw money to anyone if odds are good. The problem is when borrowers think they can affort because someone agree to put $$$ in their hands...

In the old days, when credit was almost inexistant, there was people doing good and other bad but leverage magnified every move you make.

This afternoon, I can pull almost 200K to burn on ANYTHING without question from anyone. And then...

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »
This afternoon, I can pull almost 200K to burn on ANYTHING without question from anyone. And then...

HOW??

Man, if I could do that at less than 15% or so I might just buy up a ton of cars, or gold, or some other great investment. Maybe even just a pile of cash!

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »
I know, I got some amazing self control to not use my HELOC, personnal LOC and load all my credit cards (125+50+15=200) and why not, sell my 500k investments and throw a party. I'm probably a kind of Buddha...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 05:53:04 PM »
I know, I got some amazing self control to not use my HELOC, personnal LOC and load all my credit cards (125+50+15=200) and why not, sell my 500k investments and throw a party. I'm probably a kind of Buddha...

Is this actually hard for you, though?  I have no desire to spend the 1-year net salary I have sitting in checking at the moment.  I've actually been spending a lot of money recently, having purchased a new home, but my savings rate is still >50%.  I couldn't imagine what I'd want to spend a year of my life to obtain.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
Sorry, I was answering second level with third level humor

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »
Sorry, I was answering second level with third level humor

My humor circuits were malfunctioning.  Sometimes I disable them for work, but forget to turn them back on.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »

HOW??

Man, if I could do that at less than 15% or so I might just buy up a ton of cars, or gold, or some other great investment. Maybe even just a pile of cash!

It would be pretty easy... Max out half a dozen credit card (I have at least a 12k and 18k card... Maybe go out and buy  60k var, then grab  heloc for a full home remodel.

purpleqgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 05:36:11 AM »
I would agree a RelianK 1987 with 350k miles may be not very reliable XD

A Reliant K with 350k miles would be a miracle that flies in the face of physics and probability.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2014, 07:23:54 AM »
You people just have no compassion.  This poor guy is just a thrifty soul caught in a series of unfortunate events even lemony snicket couldn't imagine.

For example:
The law is against him:
"no lawyer in the local area likes this particular judge, because he is lazy and arrogant"
Even the pavement is against him:
"Then my Matrix tires had to be replaced thanks to pot holes in my area"

There were pot holes, people, pot holes!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »
You people just have no compassion.  This poor guy is just a thrifty soul caught in a series of unfortunate events even lemony snicket couldn't imagine.

For example:
The law is against him:
"no lawyer in the local area likes this particular judge, because he is lazy and arrogant"
Even the pavement is against him:
"Then my Matrix tires had to be replaced thanks to pot holes in my area"

There were pot holes, people, pot holes!

hahahaha

everyone knows that USUALLY, if you don't live in a place with POTHOLES, tires last forever! so who the fuck would plan on replacing them?!?! these costs, comin' outta nowhere, I tell ya! just like the damn potholes!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!