Author Topic: An expensive fetish (NSFW)  (Read 10836 times)

Lia-Aimee

• Stubble
An expensive fetish (NSFW)
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
To each their own, but this seems like a very unmustachian fetish. I feel like 50 Shades of Grey would have been much better if it were built around this premise...

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/financial-domination-is-a-very-expensive-fetish

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: An expensive fetish (NSFW)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »
Oh I don't know...One way to force savings I suppose, maybe some of they guys end up ahead in the end?

"The first is to know everything about my pet—how much he makes, how much he spends, and what he spends it on. I do a budget for him that he must follow exactly. I make sure his bills are paid first, but cut his food spending down by half because he can eat ramen noodles very cheap. I cut his "extras" spending to a quarter. After that, I look at the balance of the earnings and half goes into savings for him and half comes to me. He reports to me via email daily, details any purchases and makes requests for savings withdrawals. I control all of his spending."

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:17:42 AM »
I've vaguely heard of this before, but kind of forgot that it was a thing. I guess this can be my fallback if I ever find myself unemployed.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 07:07:09 AM »
i mean this may actually help these guys save.  not the ones giving "everything" after basic needs are met... but the ones who get half in a savings for them... I hope these FA's are putting the money into Index funds not just a regular old bank account.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:38:25 AM »
How is this not admitting to extortion?  How is this legal?

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:23 AM »
How is this not admitting to extortion?  How is this legal?

Consent. The 'pets' consent to paying, so it's not extortion.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:10:22 AM »

Still sounds wrong.  Like if an aggressive salesman uses shady tactics to mentally beat someone down in order to take their money, there's laws against that already.  This lady is openly admitting she beats them into submission and takes their money.  It just seems wrong on so many levels.  I can't agree with it from the "but she's getting them to save" standpoint either.  They could go to a stern fiduciary adviser and only pay 1-2% to have that person aggressively enforce their budget.  The fact there's a pseudo-sexual aspect also makes it look illegal on prostitution grounds.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »

Still sounds wrong.  Like if an aggressive salesman uses shady tactics to mentally beat someone down in order to take their money, there's laws against that already.  This lady is openly admitting she beats them into submission and takes their money.  It just seems wrong on so many levels.  I can't agree with it from the "but she's getting them to save" standpoint either.  They could go to a stern fiduciary adviser and only pay 1-2% to have that person aggressively enforce their budget.  The fact there's a pseudo-sexual aspect also makes it look illegal on prostitution grounds.
I think you're still missing the part where these men seek her out and voluntarily pay her to do this. Did you read the whole thing? Yes, the cost is often ridiculous, but it's 100% consensual. The surrender of control and the spending of sums they shouldn't - that's what they come for.
That prostitution comment is comical... I can't even figure out how to respond. Strip clubs, or even bikini bars, are more overtly sexual than this stuff.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 11:12:58 AM »
The fact there's a pseudo-sexual aspect also makes it look illegal on prostitution grounds.

Sorry, your argument doesn't hold water. While you might find it personally distasteful, there isn't anything wrong with providing a service which is essentially playing into a fantasy, provided it doesn't break any laws.

Is it a wast of money, sure. So is the government  run lottery corporations who exist solely to take money from people who have the fantasy of "winning big"

These are adult men who can make their own decision and get an emotional ( or sexual) pay-off from their activities which they are willing to pay for.  At least these guys might learn something, unlike, say, spending money at a strip club.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 02:45:51 PM »
It's not very different from paying a financial "advisor," except that she probably provides more value for the money, since she gives them a budget.
It's also not very different from going to a club and paying women to take off their clothes. Both things are legal.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
I have a financial-dom, her name is Sallie Mae.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 10:02:05 AM »

I have a financial-dom, her name is Sallie Mae.

Hah, well played.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »
I've talked to Ladies into this. Responsible findoms do the budget and savings thing, with only minor requested gifts. I've even talked to women who won't let the guys spend any money on them until they've met financial goals like, "Keep your food budget this low, buy your wife a gift, put $XXXX into a savings account, and then and only then, can you buy me a present."

Irresponsible findoms will make their life really suck and it's more like a "high with crash" situation for the guys. Guys also seek to be "totally destroyed" (give so much money they can't pay rent and very little food for a month or many months) and may even not bother with the responsible findoms because it doesn't meet their fantasy requirements.

They consent to this with no extortion necessary. They'll even talk to MULTIPLE findoms, they're hardly monogamous about getting their needs met in this fashion.

Allen

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 07:20:41 AM »
If some of the mustachian ladies took this up as a side gig, they could create more early retirees!! Makes me chuckle to contemplate!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 09:02:38 PM »
At first I was excited but then it said that the women have to use the money for frivolities. Bummer.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 07:36:26 AM »
I've heard of some spousal relationships that are kind of like this. One person going and making money (more and more money) and the other person demanding more and more money be made so they can spend it. I'm glad I'm not into that.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 08:14:11 AM »

You're right to be concerned about these people, of course, just like people have a hard time believing there are really women who like to be beat up. Of course the distinction is whether they're really being exploited or if they're just playing with the fantasy of being exploited. I've seen plenty of people voluntarily play at the fantasy of losing power and control. It is super hard to understand the why of it if you're not into it yourself.

Anything can have a pseudo-sexual aspect to it :)
There's a bdsm dungeon in my city where guys go to act out their fantasies and then they're so turned on by it that they jerk themselves off. It's not prostitution, though, because the doms aren't the one physically bringing them to orgasm, so it's legal.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »

Every once in a while, I have to remind myself that other adults decide to do things that I find cringeworthy. I try to cringe quietly since they're within their rights to do what they want with their lives. This is one of those moments, on par with penis piercings.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
Oh my, I could be so great in this profession! 

Something to think about as a second career . . .

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 06:16:45 AM »
I literally just LOLed.  There are some incredibly weak people out there.  Whenever I read something about people who like to be "dominated" in any way, I just have to shake my head and laugh.  There are so many people whose lives are so easy that they have to manufacture difficulty for themselves.  What strange lives they lead.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 06:27:44 AM »
I literally just LOLed.  There are some incredibly weak people out there.  Whenever I read something about people who like to be "dominated" in any way, I just have to shake my head and laugh.  There are so many people whose lives are so easy that they have to manufacture difficulty for themselves.  What strange lives they lead.

Being dominated is not a "trial" "hardship" or "difficulty." If you look at D/s as more of two ways to express love, like two sides of a coin, then there is nothing but freedom in the act, not difficulty.

Even masochistss aren't having a difficulty. Most of the time, their pleasure centers are just wired differently and it's all pleasure to them.

I expect more intelligence from this forum then scoffing at people's sexual preferences.  The financial domination thing is a thin line. The oldest profession in the world is....

Is it so surprising that money is tied in with power so closely?

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 07:24:30 AM »

Being dominated is not a "trial" "hardship" or "difficulty." If you look at D/s as more of two ways to express love, like two sides of a coin, then there is nothing but freedom in the act, not difficulty.

Even masochistss aren't having a difficulty. Most of the time, their pleasure centers are just wired differently and it's all pleasure to them.

I expect more intelligence from this forum then scoffing at people's sexual preferences.  The financial domination thing is a thin line. The oldest profession in the world is....

+1

I was also surprised at the judgement in MoneyCat's post. 

Just because something doesn't push your buttons doesn't mean that those who enjoy it are somehow lesser than you...

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »

+1

Just because something doesn't push your buttons doesn't mean that those who enjoy it are somehow lesser than you...

Well, I do feel pretty sorry for the mentally ill, such as people into BDSM.  I hope they get the psychiatric help they need so they can have normal lives.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
Well, I do feel pretty sorry for the mentally ill, such as people into BDSM.  I hope they get the psychiatric help they need so they can have normal lives.

Wow.  I strongly disagree with your opinion.

Just because people have different interests than you (sexual or otherwise) doesn't make them "mentally ill" or in any need of help whatsoever.

If they aren't harming themselves or others, who gives a fuck what gets them off?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »

+1

As a member, though no longer practicing, of that community I'd like to say that though there are some mentally ill people (as there are in most communities), most of the people in the community are far more grounded and stable than any other community I've been a part of. Maybe it comes with the enhanced levels of communication, trust, and acceptance of each other's differences. Just a theory.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »

+1

This is a deeply misinformed view. Studies have actually been done, and show people into BDSM are no more likely to have a mental illness, history of being assaulted or abused, etc, than those with "vanilla" sexual preferences. Those are stereotypes, and have been disproven.