Author Topic: Americans Do Not Walk The Walk, And That's A Growing Problem  (Read 6696 times)

James

• Handlebar Stache
Americans Do Not Walk The Walk, And That's A Growing Problem
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:16:59 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/04/16/150586667/americans-do-not-walk-the-walk-and-thats-a-growing-problem?ft=1&f=1001

"As one example of how people can take a technological advance and turn it into a reason to stop exercising, Vanderbilt points to the moving sidewalk.

"Go to an airport, and look at people on the moving walkway," he says. "I mean, the engineers who built that walkway — it's meant to speed you up, by walking on it. You're not meant to just hop on it and go on a slow, sort of moving ride.""

I see more and more people around me who are getting past the point of being even able to walk anywhere.  They are so obese that they have reached the point of no (or at least very difficult) return...

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Americans Do Not Walk The Walk, And That's A Growing Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
It's not a purely American problem. My dad just turned 50, has never been overweight, but has been a chain smoker since he was 13, doesn't exercise and doesn't eat healthy. He complains about walking any distance farther than a city block. It's sad.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »
No, I don't suppose it's limited to America.  I was thinking more of the places I've been where walking is standard, such as Rwanda, Haiti, and Guatemala.  Many walk miles daily just for work and school.  But of course they all longed to be "fat like Americans"...  they can't even comprehend being so fat you can barely move.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:26:03 AM »
Yes, unfortunately, this problem also exists in developing countries.

However, I have to say that I find this statement bothersome:

But of course they all longed to be "fat like Americans"... they can't even comprehend being so fat you can barely move..

I agree with you about the need for people to be much more physically active, but man is that ever a poor choice of words.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:56 AM »
Westerners will become the Eloi.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »

But of course they all longed to be "fat like Americans"... they can't even comprehend being so fat you can barely move..

I agree with you about the need for people to be much more physically active, but man is that ever a poor choice of words.

Can you explain why? 

I put it in quotes because it was a common desire, expressed to me in each of those locations.  My wife had a new friend in Rwanda say to her "You are so fat and beautiful!"  (my wife is not fat by American standards)  I talked to the people as I travel and they couldn't understand why I would go jogging in order to stay slim and healthy, it just didn't make sense to them.  I found it sad that we have what they so greatly desire, yet instead of being wise with our wealth and abundance of food we too often abuse it become extremely obese.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:38:17 AM »
Westerners will become the Eloi.

I picture it more like the humans on the spaceship in Wall-E.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »

Can you explain why? 

I put it in quotes because it was a common desire, expressed to me in each of those locations.  My wife had a new friend in Rwanda say to her "You are so fat and beautiful!"  (my wife is not fat by American standards)  I talked to the people as I travel and they couldn't understand why I would go jogging in order to stay slim and healthy, it just didn't make sense to them.  I found it sad that we have what they so greatly desire, yet instead of being wise with our wealth and abundance of food we too often abuse it become extremely obese.

I guess it's a cultural thing. People in the Third World country where I live don't want to be fat like Americans. They don't want to be fat at all. Calling somebody "You are so fat!" in my country is considered a serious insult, and the opposite of "beautiful".

So yes, the Rwandan attitude you described is mind-boggling. :))

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
I think this is a savings plan.  The obese are saving up fat for a famine we don't see coming.  They are geniuses if they are correct! ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:50:23 PM by Rich M »

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
I think this is a savings plan.  The obese are saving up fat for a famine we don't see coming.  They are geniuses if they are correct! ;)

There is something called the obesity paradox, where for some health conditions, an obese person will fare better than a normal person (or lower-BMI person; I suppose obesity is pretty normal these days) because they have farther to go before wasting away.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »
It's like people are trying to evolve past our physical bodies; nothing below the neck is of even enough value to keep it in working order  (well, perhaps one thing below the neck). Maybe someday all of us who have legs that still work will be screwed because the only thing of value will be the ability to zone out starting at a computer screen for every waking moment. Ha.