Author Topic: American Workouts vs Asian Work Out  (Read 4507 times)

gpyros85

• Stubble
American Workouts vs Asian Work Out
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:54:22 PM »
So as I am living in Asia for a little while, I noticed a sense of community among the older generation during morning/afternoon work out clubs.

I wanted to compare an American work out specially at these companies like "Fit4Mom" which cost $20 per drop in and are usually in high end cities!

This is compared to the drop in which is free in the Asian culture!

Photos for your enjoyment!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: American Workouts vs Asian Work Out
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »
Your point isn't clear. Are you pointing out that American moms like to work out with their babies, but Asian moms don't?

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 11:03:00 AM »
Your point isn't clear. Are you pointing out that American moms like to work out with their babies, but Asian moms don't?

I think the point is, in Asia it seems like the focus is on free (?), outdoor workouts as a community. In the U.S. (I would argue ~HCOL U.S., aka metropolitan cities) it seems to be focused on pricey, indoor classes (see: SoulCycle, OrangeTheory, etc.).

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »
Eh... There are quite a few free outdoor workouts available for all in my community: yoga, tai chi, hiking, walking, cycling, running, swimming for a nominal pool fee...

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
Lol. Pretty much everywhere we've been is Asia, you can't walk through a public park without seeing a horde of senior citizens doing tai chi. One of these days I'm going to join in.

gpyros85

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 06:54:52 PM »

No, my point is based on free workouts vs paid workouts. I was reading an article where moms pay $20/class for Fit4Mom classes to work out with baby stroller, if you don't pay the money, you don't work out with your friends... While here in China, it is come join in for free no problem. Like another commented said you can be a passerby and just join it!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 08:41:43 AM »
Isn't this one of the reasons that Meetup exists?

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 08:24:25 AM »
Maybe the point is that Asians are smarter and more practical people who realize the obvious -- that it's possible to find free ways to move your body like hiking and biking. Americans will pay big money to have someone lead them through "boot camps" in a park or to throw around supplies from Home Depot in a CrossFit box.

MOD NOTE: Let's try not to generalize or stereotype large groups of people (even "positive" stereotyping can cause harm, and does no benefit versus talking about individuals).  Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:16:18 PM by arebelspy »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »
Our LBS hosts free group bike rides on country roads. There are the regular folks in one group and the speed demons in another.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »

A lot of meetups now request/require a donation. I think because forming the groups costs money now.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 10:50:04 AM »

A lot of meetups now request/require a donation. I think because forming the groups costs money now.

Well a few bucks is definitely more than free, but I truly hope that isn't a deterrent for people to join Meetup.

JLE1990

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
Yeah a lot of the groups require a few dollars per year to be a member. I think it is actually because people were abusing the free system. They would join dozens of groups and multiple hikes in a weekend. Then only show up to the 1/5 they liked the most. This was naturally frustrating to organizers.

Livelean I do want to point out that working out in "bootcamps" have significantly better results than someone who work out alone. Adding a competitive factor like crossfit shows further improvement in individual performance.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/having-a-workout-partner-can-double-performance

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 05:12:44 PM »
Do let's make generalizations about over one billion people based on what one person saw in China and a single paid workout club in the US.