Author Topic: American Girl doll  (Read 18536 times)

k8henderson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: American Girl doll
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
I used to laugh maniacally when my son would call Percy of Thomas the Tank Engine fame "Pussy."

I have an adolescent male sense of humour.

I suspect you will enjoy these: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/hilariously-mispronounced-words-by-toddlers

You think I was making an assumption?.. Isn't that making an assumption?...:)

I read your very direct implication that I would be unable to tutor my [hypothetical] daughter/kid in "math[,] physics and engineering" (since you were so generously offering to help and all). Since you had no basis for that call, yes, that was an assumption. And that is a conclusion of a logical train of reasoning, and not a blind assumption with no basis.

Also I shared our little talk with several lady engineering friends and we had a good laugh. Thanks for that.

Yes I can see how you got there but that was not in my line of thinking, in fact the thought makes me cringe cus its exactly opposite to who I am.. You see I am from the UK where the "miss World" and all its ghastly ilk have not been shown on TV since about 1972. We are (or at least my socio-economic group) very sensitive to anything that tells our young ladies they should fit into a typical 1950's housewife stereotype.

Dolls to me represent at least part of that stereotype.. I.e Girls play with dolls and boys with mechanical things. When i was at university in the early 80's only 3 out of about 100 of my class were female and I have always thought this to be a tragedy.. We as a nation were missing out on the different perspectives that female professionals could offer.

Now you have also joined the growing list of friends who have Phd's and I "only" have a mere Masters degree... dammit!...:)

Frank

So, question. Why exactly is it superior to have girls know how to change oil instead of washing dishes? Frankly, I'm going to wash the dishes a lot more often in my life than I will change the oil on a car, as will everyone else. Both dish-washing and oil-changing are basic life-maintenance tasks. The fact that men have been more likely to change the oil doesn't give it some magical halo that makes it better, which is what you're implying.

And statistically, most girls are going to grow up and become mothers. Yours might not, but as a group, they will. What exactly is so harmful about spending some of their childhood modeling the behavior that will probably be a significant part of their adult lives? My mother has been the main breadwinner in my family for most of the marriage and she owns a successful business. She still counts raising us as her most significant life's work, which is understandable. Motherhood matters. So does fatherhood. So what is wrong with either boys or girls modeling it?

And why the hell are the contributions of women tragically wasted if we're not half your engineering class? It's not like all those women who weren't being engineers weren't contributing in other important and valuable ways to society. Mothers literally continue civilization. Pink-collar jobs where women cluster are a vital part of society and you and I both depend on. We women are adding value, even if it's not in the way you seem to have decided is acceptable for us.

Dish washing is a basic function of life. I mean its a pretty basic living skill. What would happen if we all stopped washing dishes? well a lot of nasty and inconvenient things might happen. Just like if we all stopped doing basic normal functions of life lots of nasty and inconvenient things would happen. would anyone really care? the health department might but that's about it.

Dish washing is not a "skill" it's something that EVERYONE has to do. just like breathing and peeing and taking out the trash. somewhere along the way we decided that being an adult and doing our chores was a skill, like going out and getting educated and having a real job. the bar has now been set to, if you can perform the basic functions of life then by golly your just doing fabulous!

Your mom knew that performing the basic functions of life did in fact NOTHING to put food on the table and keep her kids cared for and ran a successful business. Way to go! that's the spirit.

if you don't wash your dishes you won't have clean dishes.

if you don't change the oil in your car it's going to have problems that will cost money. you might pay somebody to change the oil in your car for you, or being a MUSTACHIAN you did it your self and saved a ton of money by performing a basic function of life all by yourself. (i just love them big girl panties).

I know it grieves you to see a MAN support education. It really throws a wrench into the man hating when they go and do that. Theres not many people more respectful, supportive and this guy so plug on with your war on women's rights. your headed in the right direction!

basic funtions of life do not discriminate gender. moldy dishes and blown up engines can happen to anyone :)

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
I know it grieves you to see a MAN support education. It really throws a wrench into the man hating when they go and do that.
I think you are on the wrong forum.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »
Let's get back to American Dolls.  Now, are they ever at garage sales to clean up and resell, is what I want to know?

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2014, 05:20:33 PM »
Let's get back to American Dolls.  Now, are they ever at garage sales to clean up and resell, is what I want to know?

ha ha ha ha  The most mustachian post of all.

And FWIW, I am a feminist and didn't see anything wrong with Frank's posts nor with the resulting discussion.   I was getting pretty confused by the end of K8's posts though. Might be my lower than the mustachian average IQ though.  ;)

But I really hate women being called "ladies."  I'm more of a wench.  :P

goatmom

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2014, 07:02:54 AM »
Ok.  I had a doll a relative gave me about 15 years ago.  It got lots of "love."  The original owner is now a young married lady with a little girl of her own.  Last year, We were in NYC for the day and i had tucked the doll in my backpack.  We had time so my six yo dd and I went to the AG store and had her get her hair done.  I think it only cost $12 but they took a pretty dirty mangy doll and fixed her hair and cleaned her whole face and body.  My little girl felt like it was a big adventure.  Most of the dolls were getting fancy hairdos that cost much more. The original owner cried when I gave her the doll because she did not know that I even still had it.  Well worth the money spent. My kids don't even think to ask me to buy something there.  But, they do have great restrooms if you are ever in that part of town and need a pitstop. But it disturbs me to see people buying clothes for dolls that cost way more than clothes for real kids cost.

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »

I go to a LOT of kids consignment sales and garage sales and have never seen a doll for sale. I was at a consignment sale this weekend and there was an American girl doll baby bathtub selling for $25 right next to an actual (for use by humans) baby bathtub that looked very similar selling for $5.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »
I was browsing the kids fiction section with my 8 year old this morning.  We came across an American Doll branded novel.  I mentioned it to my daughter.  Zero name brand recognition.  RootofGood anti-advertising shields +1, Madison Ave. +0.  Score!