Author Topic: Amazon Fire TV  (Read 1773 times)

lisahi

• Stubble
Amazon Fire TV
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
I know this is pretty much par for the course now -- installment pricing is available for almost anything. But I was at Amazon.com today and they had (of course) an ad for Amazon Fire TV, which is selling for $99. (It's basically Amazon's version of Roku).

I click on the link to the product page to take a look and a big yellow banner on the top of the page says I'm eligible for an exclusive offer. (Oh yay). I only have to pay 20% right now and the rest I can pay over four installments!

God forbid you pay for your $99 item all at once... how is anybody supposed to pay that much?!?

Next thing you know, we'll be paying for our toilet paper in installment plans.

Granted, no interest is applied, but that's because in order to take advantage of this spectacular offer, you need pay via your Amazon credit card, which Amazon will automatically charge every month for the next 5 months. So, it's not so much that Amazon is making more money off of this offer; it's just sad that businesses now believe that most people can't scrounge together enough money for even mid-tier market electronics.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
Re: Amazon Fire TV
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »
It's not about having enough money to buy it.  Lots of people are now planning their lives and income requirements around the monthly payments.    That device could cost $1000 but if it's only 10 a month for the next 10 years  people are perfectly fine with that.   Cellphones are insanely expensive when you include the cost of 3 year contracts but $50/month so who cares...     I know of people buying cars and not having a clue what it's cost is just that they pay $199 every 2 weeks.    Housing is becoming the same here.  It's only $2000 a month...   

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!