Author Topic: Amazon Dash Buttons (?)  (Read 4053 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Amazon Dash Buttons (?)
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:12:28 PM »
Do we have a thread on this shitshow yet?

Thanks to the Internet of Things, you can buy a fucking button whose entire function is to order you the same specific thing from Amazon whenever you push it.

E.g., you stick the "Tide" button on your washing machine and if you notice the Tide is low, you push the button and they charge your preferred means of payment. Two days later, some Tide shows up in the mail.

I wanna see the fine print about buyers with bored children....

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Amazon Dash Buttons (?)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:41:28 PM »
I recall seeing this at some point on here. Amazon's taking impulse buying to a whole new level.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:12:06 PM »
If you somehow have the occasion to receive one of these, there are apparently some fun things you can use them for, since they are so low power.  (INSTEAD of ordering from amazon) See v=http://hackaday.com/2015/08/10/hacking-the-amazon-dash-button-to-record-whatever-you-want/

I would get one with the rebate, except for the face that we buy literally none of the products amazon has buttons for... and we don't have prime... and I don't actually have a use for one right now. But they are kinda nifty as far as hardware goes!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »
This kind of thing reminds me of the CueCat, but at least that company had the decency to give them away for free.

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 11:11:33 PM »
This kind of thing reminds me of the CueCat, but at least that company had the decency to give them away for free.

Amazon is basically giving them away for free, according to the image above.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 01:13:22 AM »

Right, you pay for the device but once you use it you get your money back.

Still, the fact that they released it on April 1, and everyone thought it was a joke, says a lot.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »

Right, you pay for the device but once you use it you get your money back.

Still, the fact that they released it on April 1, and everyone thought it was a joke, says a lot.

I'm still not entirely convinced this isn't a long term april fool's joke somehow.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »
for the consumer this is certainly anti-mustachian. For the business, it sounds genius.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »

From what I can tell you have to confirm the purchase in an email.  So it doesn't even actually order it for you- you still have to go to a computer and phone and confirm, which means you might as well have just gone there and ordered!

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »

From what I can tell you have to confirm the purchase in an email.  So it doesn't even actually order it for you- you still have to go to a computer and phone and confirm, which means you might as well have just gone there and ordered!

Zero personal appeal, but I can see how some people might find this useful.  Lots of times when you are running low on something, laundry soap is a good example, you think about buying some more when you are doing laundry.  But by the time you actually go shopping you've forgotten.  I'm sure this has happened to everybody.

So, while I don't want one, I can see how it would be useful for some people.   Maybe for businesses where the employees use stuff.  Then they could just hit the button when it is time to order more. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 11:48:10 AM »

Zero personal appeal, but I can see how some people might find this useful.  Lots of times when you are running low on something, laundry soap is a good example, you think about buying some more when you are doing laundry.  But by the time you actually go shopping you've forgotten.  I'm sure this has happened to everybody.

So, while I don't want one, I can see how it would be useful for some people.   Maybe for businesses where the employees use stuff.  Then they could just hit the button when it is time to order more.

It's called a shopping list.  People have been using them successfully for a long time.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »
It's called a shopping list.  People have been using them successfully for a long time.

That means people would have to go to an actual store to buy stuff!  Errr..  Wait, most of them seem to do that every single day, don't they?  Including weekends, sunny days, rainy days, snowy days, whenever they're bored, to entertain the kids, when they hang out with friends, when they don't need stuff....

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 12:22:04 PM »

That means people would have to go to an actual store to buy stuff!  Errr..  Wait, most of them seem to do that every single day, don't they?  Including weekends, sunny days, rainy days, snowy days, whenever they're bored, to entertain the kids, when they hang out with friends, when they don't need stuff....

Most of them do anyway, but it's not even necessary.  I have a shopping list on my phone.  In fact I have an amazon specific shopping list.  I don't have prime, so I always coordinate my amazon orders so that they qualify for free shipping.  When I know I need something I just pull out my phone and add it to the list so I can stop wasting mental energy on remembering it.