Author Topic: Amazon Allowance  (Read 10102 times)

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
Amazon Allowance
« on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »
Sure...instead of giving our children allowances which they can save or use for whatever they want, lets deposit it directly into their amazon account so they HAVE to buy something?

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=gc_allowance_left_banner?_encoding=UTF8&node=11453461011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-3&pf_rd_r=021QMC9VHWD39HTH52FX&pf_rd_t=2911&pf_rd_p=2093691402&pf_rd_i=balance

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Amazon Allowance
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
Disney should do this too.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »
This is one of those ideas that doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Why would anybody ever decide to sign up?  It only seems to work if you have money and want to exchange it for crappier money with a more limited area of use for no benefit.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
I'm thinking it allows your child some limited freedom to spend without requiring that you provide them with your credit card.

We used to have an online business that accepted credit cards, and "My kid took my credit card and purchased this without my permission" was probably our biggest source of chargebacks. It cost us money, because we had almost always delivered the product/service by the time the parent called to get a refund, so they ended up with the purchase AND their money back.

I am sure Amazon gets a lot of returns/chargebacks because of this issue, too.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
It's smart from Amazon's perspective. I don't know why anyone would sign up unless they had some generous promotions.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
It's a way to get your kids to buy books, movies, etc, instead of candy, etc. You don't have to take them places to buy stuff, etc.

I wouldn't do it. But I'm not their target audience.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
I knew that was coming.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 12:51:58 PM »
It makes books, etc, more available. Candy is everywhere already. Parents may not think it through. Or they can say "only buy books". Whatever.

Amazon's happy to take their money.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 01:25:03 PM »
This is one of those ideas that doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Why would anybody ever decide to sign up?  It only seems to work if you have money and want to exchange it for crappier money with a more limited area of use for no benefit.

Homer: One adult and four children.

Woman: Would you like to buy some Itchy and Scratchy Money?

Homer: What's that?

Woman: Well it's money that's made just for the park... And it works just like regular money, but it's, er..."fun".

Bart: Do it, Dad.

Homer: Well, OK, if it's fun...let's see, uh...I'll take $1100 worth.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
Doh!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 01:39:21 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=candy  - I'm pretty sure they can still buy candy.
Damn you.  I honestly never though of this and my weak point when it comes to candy, which is not in wegmans, is on amazon.  And I now know. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
Dude, if you need 10 lbs of gummi bears, or a 2.2lb box of nerds . . . Amazon has your back.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 01:55:20 PM »
Dude, if you need 10 lbs of gummi bears, or a 2.2lb box of nerds . . . Amazon has your back.

I didn't price out those items specifically, but I have looked at candy on amazon before.  Costco had much better prices.  Of course you have to pick up the items yourself from costco, but you also won't have them sitting in the sun for an extended period, so it balances out.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 02:00:32 PM »
I want my 10 lbs of gummi bears melted into a gelatinous brick.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »
Seriously I don't want much, but wegmans does not have sour gummies and I have not had to use any will power is regard for five years and now.....they will come to my house.  Will power muscle not used to being used.  Lol

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »

I only eat food in bar form.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 02:15:28 PM »

In Iraq and Afghanistan that was the only way I could have them.  I'd get a one pound bag in a care package and it would be a sloshing rainbow colored mess in the bag.  A couple hours in a fridge and its a solid block you can cut pieces from.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »

In Iraq and Afghanistan that was the only way I could have them.  I'd get a one pound bag in a care package and it would be a sloshing rainbow colored mess in the bag.  A couple hours in a fridge and its a solid block you can cut pieces from.
Hopefully nobody was rude enough to send you the sugar-free variety...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 02:20:55 PM »

Those should be reserved for the enemy.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »

That made me a little sick to read.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »

Those should be reserved for the enemy.

GI Joe: "Take this, you dirty vermin" <heaves the bag over>

<Enemy forces cower, waiting for the explosion>

<still waiting>

<cautiously approach the bag>

<A look of horror and disgust fills their war-torn faces>

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

<They throw down their weapons and run away waiving the white flag>

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »

+ 1,000!  I needed that laugh today.  Those reviews are awesome.  :)

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »
I'm thinking it allows your child some limited freedom to spend without requiring that you provide them with your credit card.

We used to have an online business that accepted credit cards, and "My kid took my credit card and purchased this without my permission" was probably our biggest source of chargebacks. It cost us money, because we had almost always delivered the product/service by the time the parent called to get a refund, so they ended up with the purchase AND their money back.

WTF?  When did this scenario become an issue with the parent and the MERCHANT?  Back when I was a kid, if I had used my parents credit card to buy stuff online without permission, I'd have gotten my ass whooped and I'd have to repay the money.

I'm surprised you wouldn't just say, "Sorry to hear.  Please forward us a copy of the police report and we'd be happy to help reverse this fraudulent purchase."  My guess would be 99% of parents wouldn't risk their kid getting a rap sheet, and take the issue up where it really belongs -- their kids, not the merchant.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 11:17:28 AM »
I don't see this as that bad of an idea.

You don't have to put ALL your kids money in there.

But you could say "You get $5 (or $20 or $100 whatever your budget is) a month towards kindle or MP3s" - that's all you have, use it wisely.

Kids buying MP3s when they can access their parents account ads up amazingly fast. This could limit it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 11:30:29 AM »

WTF?  When did this scenario become an issue with the parent and the MERCHANT?  Back when I was a kid, if I had used my parents credit card to buy stuff online without permission, I'd have gotten my ass whooped and I'd have to repay the money.

I'm surprised you wouldn't just say, "Sorry to hear.  Please forward us a copy of the police report and we'd be happy to help reverse this fraudulent purchase."  My guess would be 99% of parents wouldn't risk their kid getting a rap sheet, and take the issue up where it really belongs -- their kids, not the merchant.

Or just say you'll be happy to refund the money when you've received the returned item.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
In a charge-back situation, the merchant doesn't have any option, and they don't get to speak to the consumer.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 11:54:29 AM »
Isn't a initiating a charge back after receiving goods fraud?  I'm surprised there's no recourse for a merchant in this case.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 12:01:21 PM »

+ 1,000!  I needed that laugh today.  Those reviews are awesome.  :)
Out of morbid curiousity, I had to go and look....I'm crying over here. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »

Or just say you'll be happy to refund the money when you've received the returned item.

Easier said than done with credit cards. Most credit card companies will take your word on it and just void payment. My company can accept Amex, but we don't advertise this unless it is someone we know. This is because they charge us a lot more, and because they will always take their customers' side in case there is a dispute and aren't willing to even allow us to show invoices.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »
Isn't a initiating a charge back after receiving goods fraud?  I'm surprised there's no recourse for a merchant in this case.

You can try challenging it, but as a merchant, you usually lose. And it takes time and effort. At $40 per transaction, we made the decision to issue refunds without question, because we understood that it wasn't worth the effort to fight.

In our case, our service was delivered electronically, so we couldn't get it back after it was delivered.

It's like if your family member uses your credit card to use Turbotax and files their tax return. You can dispute that. You can say "I didn't authorize this!" and the chargeback is yours. Meanwhile, the tax return has been filed. There's no takebacks. (And technically, TT isn't allowed to reveal whose tax return was filed!)

I am certain that Amazon has this problem with digital downloads for music and video games. Or maybe they just want to capture more of the under-18 market. The more people they get to use their Allowance system, the more money they make and keep.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »
I knew some people that always gave their kids allowance money in the form of gift cards like this because otherwise they would spend it on illegal drugs.