Author Topic: Amazon Addict  (Read 8017 times)

dionysiandame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Amazon Addict
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »
My name is Nikki and I'm an Amazon addict. I can, literally, spend an entire day surfing around on the site looking for books that I want to purchase or new tarot decks. This is one of my main "issues" when it comes to money. I still do my 401k contributions, I'm not in mountains of debt (I have a little I'm paying off), and my savings and investment accounts are fine; I just shiver to think how much money I'd have were it not for me hitting the shopping cart every pay day. While I do read all of the books I purchase, and will resell if it's something I know I won't read again, books can cost me upwards of $1500 a year, and that's IF I'm not getting something rare/scholarly that has a ridiculous price tag all its own.

So I need it given to me hard. (*insert my immature snort) Let me have it guys. I need the punch in the face to get me back on track.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Amazon Addict
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »
I used to spend a ton of money buying books online.  Then I discovered my local library.  Now I wonder WTF was wrong with me, and why I threw money away rather than simply get what I wanted for free.  I still look reading material up on Amazon . . . but then go to our library online and reserve the books.

dionysiandame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »
I used to spend a ton of money buying books online.  Then I discovered my local library.  Now I wonder WTF was wrong with me, and why I threw money away rather than simply get what I wanted for free.  I still look reading material up on Amazon . . . but then go to our library online and reserve the books.

I should look into whether the local library system has access to books through universities as a lot of the texts I read/buy aren't readily available through the public system. I've definitely cut back on buying fantasy/sci-fi since that's easy as all get out to find, but the non-fiction can be a pain.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
My name is Nikki and I'm an Amazon addict. I can, literally, spend an entire day surfing around on the site looking for books that I want to purchase or new tarot decks. This is one of my main "issues" when it comes to money. I still do my 401k contributions, I'm not in mountains of debt (I have a little I'm paying off), and my savings and investment accounts are fine; I just shiver to think how much money I'd have were it not for me hitting the shopping cart every pay day. While I do read all of the books I purchase, and will resell if it's something I know I won't read again, books can cost me upwards of $1500 a year, and that's IF I'm not getting something rare/scholarly that has a ridiculous price tag all its own.

So I need it given to me hard. (*insert my immature snort) Let me have it guys. I need the punch in the face to get me back on track.

If you're really reading that much you ought to just go to the library or download them for free.

I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon but usually it's food or electronics or hardware which are cheaper than in the stores.

noob515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »
Yeah, I second the thought of downloading the books for free.  I have a long train commute, so carrying around a bunch of sometimes bulky library books wasn't always the best option, so after I received a Kindle as a gift, I've stuck with downloading whatever free books they have.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
I wish my girlfriend never purchased a tablet - before she was going to the library with me, now she covertly buys e-books.  It's her money, but it doesn't sync up with my values, so it makes me wonder if we'll ever combine accounts. The library is so awesome, and the I don't really understand the whole book fetish thing, but I see it a lot. Good luck!

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
I wish my girlfriend never purchased a tablet - before she was going to the library with me, now she covertly buys e-books.  It's her money, but it doesn't sync up with my values, so it makes me wonder if we'll ever combine accounts. The library is so awesome, and the I don't really understand the whole book fetish thing, but I see it a lot. Good luck!

You should tell her you can get ebooks from the library... for free.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 12:53:35 PM »
Hi Nikki!  *singsong*

I also am a recovering Amazon addict.  My wish lists, they overfloweth.  I just stay away now, pretty much.  One thing I DID do was create a wish list (called Dingles, LOL) ... I spent one shopping "session" loading it up with $5 or less things that were very useful, recurring sorts of things for myself and for the toddler.  That way, when I DID buy something and it wasn't enough to get the free shipping, I had to pick something off the Dingle list rather than keep shopping to get over $25.  HUUUUUUGE difference.  My previous purchase history was always in the $40-$60 range from "finding something else to buy."  Now it is always between $25 and $28, or the exact amount of the one item I was there for in the first place. 

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
Two thoughts:

1) If you're near a university, often you can buy a community library pass for a small fee. Way cheaper than Amazon, and they probably have e-books for download as well.

2) My local library system is small, but all the counties in the region have a reciprocal agreement. I was able to get a library card for the big system just to our south, which gave me borrowing privileges for paper and e-books. They have a much better selection.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »
You should tell her you can get ebooks from the library... for free.

Yes, thanks, she's done that a few times, but the selection is limited.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »
Definitely check out the library.  A lot of systems will be able to do an interlibrary loan for you and get more obscure books without too much hassle.  I seriously think the library is one of the easiest ways to save money ever!

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 06:35:48 PM »
Upvotes for your name, downvotes for your addiction.

Figure out what need you are filling with your purchases; it may have nothing to do with books.

Best,
Mr. Pop

zug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »
I think a pretty ethical way to do ebooks is to check a paper copy out from the library, then download the ebook using bittorrent or another pirating site. Delete it when you return the book.

May or may not be copyright infringement, but my conscience is clear. :)

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 07:36:27 AM »
I am a book-a-holic too. I could probably do the same thing on Amazon that you do. However, I feed my book addiction with trips to the local Goodwill. I scan books to sell on Amazon, and when I'm buying books that are profitable, I also pick up books that I think look interesting and would like to read.

I've been doing this for a couple of years, and not only have I expanded my personal library probably two times over, I've made over $3,000 of straight-up profit. If you want to learn more about how I do it, send me a PM (I don't want to junk up your thread, which already has a lot of good ideas in it).

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 12:04:15 PM »
While libraries are great, they don't always have every book you want to read, nor, in these days of budget cuts, do they have enough new volumes coming in to keep an addict satisfied.  Plus they tend to rotate out older volumes, so if you find an interesting author who's been writing for decades, they'll only have the few most recent works.

Instead of (or in addition to) Amazon, I'd suggest looking at www.abebooks.com.  They are basically an index of all used book stores.

herisff

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
You could also trade books, such as with www.paperbackswap.com. Basically you post books that you're willing to send away, and you create a wish list of books you are looking for. You mail away the books requested from you at your cost, and you receive your wishlisted books at no cost. You may have to wait as you work your way up the waitlist queue, but I figure that this just exercises my delayed-gratification muscles. I've managed to thin out my library and still obtain books I want to keep.

I am also a very heavy library user, and have used my library's reciprocity arrangements to obtain e-books from libraries across the sound in King County/Seattle. It works great, as I can obtain the more oddball stuff I read which my local library can't carry.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »
Upvotes for your name, downvotes for your addiction.

Figure out what need you are filling with your purchases; it may have nothing to do with books.

Best,
Mr. Pop

Agreed.  While reading books is generally just fine, addictive behavior is something that shouldn't be dismissed.  A little more self-evaluation of your habits may be beneficial.

What would happen if you blocked Amazon and didn't read a single book for a month?  Would that make you uncomfortable?  Why?

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »

So I need it given to me hard. (*insert my immature snort) Let me have it guys.

Oh come on! NO ONE is going to bite?! Sure, I will:

"That's what she said."

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 03:58:32 PM »
Tyler and Mr. Pop are on to something here.  Dig through your book collection and find "Your Money or Your Life" as recommended by MMM.  Figure out how much of your irretrievable life you are spending buying books you don't need.  Ask yourself if your purchases align with your goals and aspirations.

Being a Mustachian isn't about slapping your hands when you want to buy something.  Personal finance is merely an outward manifestation of our inner life.  You have to treat the cause.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:22:39 PM by Accidental Miser »

dionysiandame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »

What would happen if you blocked Amazon and didn't read a single book for a month?  Would that make you uncomfortable?  Why?

Blocking Amazon? No problem really. Since posting this thread I haven't signed onto Amazon as far as not reading a single book for a month? Why even do that? That seems counter-intuitive to everything I stand for; the accumulating of knowledge and no, the internet does not count to me as the "end all be all" knowledge gathering.

I have started making use of download avenues that allow me to get a lot of the books I like to read (graphic novels and comics) for free. If I read something I really like, I can purchase it used. Books, to me, aren't a luxury. I can definitely pare back on my book spending, but give up on them entirely? Never. Not when so many in my past fought for me to be able to read in the first place. That's my narrative. I don't expect anyone to get it, but it's where I stand.

I am also a very heavy library user, and have used my library's reciprocity arrangements to obtain e-books from libraries across the sound in King County/Seattle. It works great, as I can obtain the more oddball stuff I read which my local library can't carry.

I will look into that! At one point I had cards in two counties, but one of them lapsed. I'll also check to see if I can get access to the local state university. Thanks for the tips and forward thinking guys.

dionysiandame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »

So I need it given to me hard. (*insert my immature snort) Let me have it guys.

Oh come on! NO ONE is going to bite?! Sure, I will:

"That's what she said."

LOL! I love it! That's what I heard in my head after I posted.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 09:09:27 AM »
Have you considered book sales?  I consider books a form of art/house decoration that you can also enjoy while reading.  I have a room that's about 8 by 14, and half of that 14 is bookshelves full of books.  I bought just about all my books at various book sales.  In total, probably 200 books for well under $100 (and many of them are beautiful hardcover books.  The major downside is you don't get to say, 'I want book X' but you aren't guaranteed to find it.

This is a good website if you want to start.  Just make sure you don't allow this to increase your buying habit.
http://www.booksalefinder.com/