Author Topic: Air-conditioned storage units?  (Read 7870 times)

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Air-conditioned storage units?
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
I recently drove by a storage unit facility that advertised air-conditioned units, no doubt for an upcharge. That's like adding insult to injury. I tried to ponder what kind of stuff could possibly need to be air-conditioned in storage. If it's that delicate, make room for it at home! Good grief.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
Re: Air-conditioned storage units?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »
Not all self-storage is for people with too many things to fit in their home. I used a small storage unit once while moving, because it turned out cheaper overall to move everything two weeks before moving in. None of my possessions require it, but some things like antiques, fine art, or musical instruments might need to be temperature-controlled. Some mail-order businesses operate out of storage units because it's cheaper than renting "proper" business premises; they might be willing to pay for air-con.

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
Good points. I have heard of people using them when moving or when staging a house for sale. I'm sure there are legit uses, but I can't help but wonder what percentage of them are just used to store people's excess junk.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
What if  you lived in one, that could be a good deal. I've always been interested in alternative forms of shelter.   Vans, storage units, couch surfing.   If I didn't have a family I'd probably explore it.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:25:38 PM »
What if  you lived in one, that could be a good deal. I've always been interested in alternative forms of shelter.   Vans, storage units, couch surfing.   If I didn't have a family I'd probably explore it.

They have different sizes.  I'm sure you could find one where you'd all fit.  :)

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 03:46:19 AM »
I'm sure this is illegal, or at least against the contract for liability reasons. Residences have to meet certain minimum requirements beyond those for structures used for other purposes (like storage). And since they're a proper business, they're more likely to be held to account if they ignore those rules (as opposed to a private homeowner who might get away with an illegal shed or room rental).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:51:59 AM by dcheesi »

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »
I'm sure this is illegal, or at least against the contract for liability reasons. Residences have to meet certain minimum requirements beyond those for structures used for other purposes (like storage). And since they're a proper business, they're more likely to be held to account if they ignore those rules (as opposed to a private homeowner who might get away with an illegal shed or room rental).

All your respect for the law is getting in the way of frugality.   Richard Christy from the Howard Stern show lived in a storage facility for a number of years.   He would just go to work and play the drums the rest of the day, and he said he had neighbors that also lived in the facility.   

Things that aren't 100% legal are always more fun anyways.    Like weed, it's been legal in Colorado for like 2 years now and I don't really have a desire to smoke any.   It was more fun when you had to search the underground for the KB.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
Sales Reps wind up using these facilities to store their selling materials, which in many cases, include product samples which do need to be climate controlled.  Employers will pay for the storage unit, and will stipulate that the unit be climate controlled.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »

In general I'm of the same mind with storage units: There are a whole lot of people that will spend $50 a month to store $200 worth of stuff.  It doesn't take long for that to go upside down.

That said: there is a lot more to air conditioning than temperature.  More importantly, it controls humidity.  Most stuff may not care if it gets over 80 degrees... but lots of stuff hates high humidity.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »
Humidity will wreck your stuff.  I threw away my favorite hiking boots after storing them in my hot, humid attic.  Oh, they were all kinds of rotten, covered in slimy mold. 

I rented one of these about 10 years ago when we were moving and waiting for our new place to open up.  We dumped everything in a storage unit and went camping for a month.  It was a cheap solution.

I can see the need, but agree that most units and just storing people's crap.

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 01:10:49 PM »
Sales Reps wind up using these facilities to store their selling materials, which in many cases, include product samples which do need to be climate controlled.  Employers will pay for the storage unit, and will stipulate that the unit be climate controlled.

You know; I was going to say this would be an amusing solution for someone with a large antique chocolate candy collection, but that sounds like a much more viable scenario.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »
One situation which made a lot of sense to use an AC'd storage unit:

We were moving and would be spending 10 weeks in a motel in between renting a house and buying a second home.  My wife would only consider AC'd storage because of pictures and other valuables sensitive to humidity.  By placing our stuff in storage and avoiding keeping an empty house for 10 weeks (to keep the furniture) we saved at least $3.6k.  Oh, and my job paid for the temporary storage.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 11:23:50 AM »
Where else am I supposed to store the bodies?

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
A couple thoughts:

- When I bought my small car, I did so thinking that it was what I wanted and it'd be "cheap to keep" . . . but I'd occasionally have to rent something bigger.  We did have to rent a van to move our daughter into college her freshman year.  At the end of that year, we rented a storage building (split between several students) because it was cheaper than getting all her stuff home and then moving it back to the dorms again.  I think we're going to do it again this year.  So, yes, people do rent for reasons other than "I can't throw anything away, but the house is full".

- I've heard of bands renting a storage building in which to practice.  In that situation, the air conditioning would make sense. 

- I've often wondered about whether it'd be possible to live in a rental unit.  I've also seen signs that say, "Rent this office space for $300/month!"  It can't be large, but for a single person who doesn't care about the space -- or for a short-term rental -- COULD YOU live in it? 

Who sets the standards /enforces standards for an adult's housing?  Yes, I know that if you don't have running water or electricity, Child Services will come out and take your children away.  Ditto for elderly perhaps.  But what about me?  A healthy adult?  If I choose to live in a storage building, who's going to know or stop me?  Perhaps the answer is the storage building's owner. 

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »
- I've heard of bands renting a storage building in which to practice.  In that situation, the air conditioning would make sense. 

I used to be in a band that practiced in a storage unit. We played indie pop. Two doors down was a big R&B group, and two doors down from them was a metal band. And there were many others. Friday nights were so much fun, with people visiting back and forth and sharing a few beers. The storage people were aware what the units were used for, and even charged extra. But it was still a good deal.

These days, if we needed to put our stuff in storage, it would need to be climate-controlled. Grand pianos do NOT respond well to humidity. Or heat. Or cold.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »
- I've often wondered about whether it'd be possible to live in a rental unit.  I've also seen signs that say, "Rent this office space for $300/month!"  It can't be large, but for a single person who doesn't care about the space -- or for a short-term rental -- COULD YOU live in it? 

Who sets the standards /enforces standards for an adult's housing?  Yes, I know that if you don't have running water or electricity, Child Services will come out and take your children away.  Ditto for elderly perhaps.  But what about me?  A healthy adult?  If I choose to live in a storage building, who's going to know or stop me?  Perhaps the answer is the storage building's owner.

Attempting this in any area with any reasonable level of municipal code enforcement is only going to succeed if you do so totally under the radar. Specifically, building codes go in to extraordinary detail to define "habitable space". This includes everything from minimum number of sq. feet per occupant, percentage of window area providing daylight and ventilation as a ratio of floor space, sanitation requirements, emergency egress, size, location, and number of access doors, and on, and on.  So, in the eyes of the powers that be, a rental locker does not meet the requirements for habitation, so it doesn't matter if you're six or sixty, it isn't going to fly.

Bottom line on storage unit squatting in most civilized locations? Once the "man" discovers your location, you're done, time to move. I doubt you would be in any legal trouble, but most bureaucrats are going to make sure you are out of their "for your own good".

EricL

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
An air conditioned storage unit is absolutely necessary - if you're storing your small by mail purchase candle inventory in the summer.  Or as an in-transit, pre disposal body storage location for your mafia sub contracting business.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
An air conditioned storage unit is absolutely necessary - if you're storing your small by mail purchase candle inventory in the summer.  Or as an in-transit, pre disposal body storage location for your mafia sub contracting business.
Or to store your $3 mil wine collection!
You paid a lot for that hobby, you'd better "invest" in a worthwhile storage area to match!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
Or to store your $3 mil wine collection!
You paid a lot for that hobby, you'd better "invest" in a worthwhile storage area to match!

Don't be silly.  You'll want to dig a secure, climate controlled cellar at your own house for that.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
Currently, about half of what I own, weight-wise, is in storage.  it's free to me (paid by DH's employer). When we are reunited with that stuff, whenever that might be, I'm sure at least half of it will be donated, trashed, or sold, as living without it has been a great exercise for us.

But I had no choice in selecting the unit, and I've no idea if it is climate controlled.  And I worry greatly about the effects of humidity.  It's not the temps; it's the moisture.  A few things went in there by mistake, in all the chaos, like my wedding album.   Thankfully, the stuff was picked up in a fairly dry climate and likely stayed in the area. 

So while generally I think storage in general is mostly silly if one is paying for it, I can see why A/C would seem like a good idea if one was set on doing storage. 

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 08:32:59 AM »

You know; I was going to say this would be an amusing solution for someone with a large antique chocolate candy collection, but that sounds like a much more viable scenario.

Actually, Pharmaceutical Sales Reps are required to store their samples in a climate controlled facility - not for all samples, but certain ones that require it like liquids and such.  The Company pays for it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!