Author Topic: Adult child demands 300 euros per month from dad. Judge says "get a life"  (Read 4458 times)

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I read about a similar case in China not too long ago, but that was before I knew about this forum.

Legal precedent in Spain holds that parents are obliged to provide for their children until they reach economic independence.

The 23 year old demanded 300 euros per month from her father. He had already paid for her computer courses, which she had failed. The judge said her behavior was preventing her from getting on with life and rejected her request. Other young people have had more success, however.

Clara is 33 years old, able-bodied and has a master's degree.

And yet an appeal court in the north-western province of Galicia has ruled her father must continue to pay her an allowance of €450 a month while she seeks a job in keeping with her education.

"The really unprecedented thing about this case is that the support is open-ended," says Rosario Bello, Clara's legal representative.

Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39934674

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
So here children can get "emancipated" from their families if things are going badly. Can a parent in Spain not do the same in reverse? I think there is real danger in enabling a lazy person with an allowance.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Wow, simply wow. Do the adult children have to mow the lawn and their share of the dishes in order to collect this "allowance?"

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Perhaps laws like this are the government's way of keeping unemployed adults off of their welfare roster.   Some of those countries have generous welfare, so anything they can do to reduce it, including forcing well off families to cover it for their children directly, should be seen as a good thing?

Spiffsome

• Stubble
At some point someone's going to decide that it's cheaper to leave the country, or more emotionally satisfying to shoot the kid.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
At some point someone's going to decide that it's .... more emotionally satisfying to shoot the kid.

As a parent, that thought (of satisfying emotionally to be done with the child) is not as infrequent as one would think.   We of course, don't at on those feelings....

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Apparently the BBC can't get enough of these stories.

Here's one about a man suing his parents for their lottery winnings. Fortunately they won the court case. (There was a court case? Ridiculous!)

He was seeking a ruling that his father and stepmother must financially support him for the rest of their lives.

Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-39966145

At the time of posting, this was the most read story on BBC.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
The Beeb's going the way of the Daily Mail.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
At some point someone's going to decide that it's .... more emotionally satisfying to shoot the kid.

As a parent, that thought (of satisfying emotionally to be done with the child) is not as infrequent as one would think.   We of course, don't at on those feelings....

Perhaps you've heard of the "Mother's Curse": hoping you have a daughter just like you!

I made the mistake of marrying a wife who is living out that curse. I've been told our daughter (who is mostly a sweet and considerate 5-yo, but can have her moments) is just like my wife was.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Here's one about a man suing his parents for their lottery winnings. Fortunately they won the court case. (There was a court case? Ridiculous!)

I wonder how he found a lawyer/solicitor to take this case. Was the lawyer offered a percentage of any settlement (don't know if that is common/allowed in the UK)?

Spiffsome

• Stubble
Lawyers in the UK aren't allowed to take a percentage of the winnings. It's called 'champerty' and used to be a popular arrangement, but got outlawed.