Author Topic: Bad money-saving tips  (Read 19387 times)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
Re: Bad money-saving tips
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2022, 10:36:37 AM »
When people around me come into some money, others recommend buying something of quality that will last.  This isn't in and of its self bad advice, a good pair of boots for example might be well worth paying the extra money for if they will be well worn.  But the following clause is always for something that has built in continuing expenses: bass boat, motorcycle, etc.

Locking yourself in to long term money gobblers (even if high quality) aren't the best way to save money.  Especially if they are easily rented.  If you are going to dig a hole, you should buy an excavator.

Loren

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2022, 11:22:52 AM »
When people around me come into some money, others recommend buying something of quality that will last.  This isn't in and of its self bad advice, a good pair of boots for example might be well worth paying the extra money for if they will be well worn.  But the following clause is always for something that has built in continuing expenses: bass boat, motorcycle, etc.

Locking yourself in to long term money gobblers (even if high quality) aren't the best way to save money.  Especially if they are easily rented.  If you are going to dig a hole, you should buy RENT an excavator.

Loren

Fixed that for you.   ;-)

And the treats (I work hard, I deserve this treats) often have long term costs as well.

Even the quality things often end up pushing people into buying other things to go with the new quality thing - i.e. my wonderful new winter boots make my old winter coat look shabby, so I "need" a new winter coat and hat and gloves and scarf now too.  Or the new kitchen counter makes the rest of the kitchen look like it needs renovating.  Or . . . .  I am sure we can all come up with lots of examples.     ;-)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2022, 02:41:31 PM »
Even the quality things often end up pushing people into buying other things to go with the new quality thing - i.e. my wonderful new winter boots make my old winter coat look shabby, so I "need" a new winter coat and hat and gloves and scarf now too.  Or the new kitchen counter makes the rest of the kitchen look like it needs renovating.  Or . . . .  I am sure we can all come up with lots of examples.     ;-)
There's a name for that phenomenon, one that I learned here on the forums:  The Diderot Effect

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2022, 03:13:45 PM »

If you buy a very high quality acoustic guitar, it's usually a good idea to buy a hygrometer and humidifier/dehumidifier with it.  The more expensive guitars tend to be made of solid woods and more lightly braced (makes the instrument more lively and responsive), and because of this are much more susceptible to humidity problems.

Typically an acoustic is built with humidity between 45-50% RH.  alright to keep them between 40 - 60% humidity or for short periods (day or two) 30 - 80%.  You can pull them out and play a show at pretty much any humidity for an hour or two.

But if you have them at too high humidity for too long, the wood swells causing the bridge to raise up.  This lifts the strings up too high off the fretboard making it hard to play, and if left for long enough will permanently deform the top.  Sometimes the glue for the braces under the top will actually loosen and they'll come off and start buzzing.  If you have the guitar at too low humidity the top will shrink.  This makes the strings sink down and start buzzing . . . the wood itself will start to develop cracks on the top.  Sometimes you can fix the guitar, but sometimes this damage means that you junk it.  I have personally destroyed a guitar this way.

Ironically, the cheapest acoustic guitars tend to be immune to this.  They'll often have laminated woods which don't swell and shrink as much due to water levels, and are usually very heavily braced.  That's why you can find old Harmony or Stella acoustics that have been dumped in someone's attic for 50 years and they're still in OK shape.  Sound like a rubber band stretched over a carboard box, but no humidity problems.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2022, 06:15:06 AM »
I'm speculating on this one but I'm probably right. The garden center where I work sells mulch, topsoil etc. in bulk. Many days there is a line of massive pickup trucks- often towing equally massive trailers- to pick up bulk supplies. I'm sure at least some of these guys rationalize such huge purchases with the knowledge that they're "saving" $30-40 a pop by not just getting the stuff delivered.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2022, 09:27:28 AM »
I'm speculating on this one but I'm probably right. The garden center where I work sells mulch, topsoil etc. in bulk. Many days there is a line of massive pickup trucks- often towing equally massive trailers- to pick up bulk supplies. I'm sure at least some of these guys rationalize such huge purchases with the knowledge that they're "saving" $30-40 a pop by not just getting the stuff delivered.

When finishing the basement at my house, I would bike down to Home Depot . . . pick out the supplies I needed, rent a truck, drive to my house and unload it, then bike back home.  I think it was only about 20$ to rent the truck - seemed like the only sensible option.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2022, 11:27:06 AM »

When finishing the basement at my house, I would bike down to Home Depot . . . pick out the supplies I needed, rent a truck, drive to my house and unload it, then bike back home.  I think it was only about 20$ to rent the truck - seemed like the only sensible option.
That's badass!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2022, 12:20:06 PM »
I found gasoline to be even cheaper at the nearby card lock station, the only caveat is that you need to open a commercial account there to get a card. There's no attendant, and no prices posted, I get billed twice a month and prices are consistently 20-40 cents cheaper than Costco, so even with the 4% cash back for using the Citi Costco card it's still cheaper.
The other big draw of the card lock station is the ethanol free gas available.

Interesting.  Do you need a business license or some other proof that you have a business in order to open an account?  Or will they give an account to Villanelle Surname, private citizen, as long as she puts down a credit card and signs up? 

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2022, 01:39:09 PM »
I found gasoline to be even cheaper at the nearby card lock station, the only caveat is that you need to open a commercial account there to get a card. There's no attendant, and no prices posted, I get billed twice a month and prices are consistently 20-40 cents cheaper than Costco, so even with the 4% cash back for using the Citi Costco card it's still cheaper.
The other big draw of the card lock station is the ethanol free gas available.

Interesting.  Do you need a business license or some other proof that you have a business in order to open an account?  Or will they give an account to Villanelle Surname, private citizen, as long as she puts down a credit card and signs up?

It's meant for business use only. I had to supply a EIN and my schedule C (or equivalent), and sign that I would use min 900 gallons per year (I don't) and that all fuel purchased is for business use only (well, mostly...).  So not terribly strict, but minimal business requirements. Since I'm a construction contractor it fits in with the normal clientele they work with.

The price is all over the place, and changes quickly. For example: 8/05/22-$3.8931/gal       8/15/22-$4.2937/gal   This is for regular E-10. Retail price in my area according to gas buddy is $4.55@ Costco.

I originally joined because of the zero ethanol fuel. I didn't plan on using the commercial station for my "normal" fuel because folks told me it cost more per gallon, but I found the opposite to be true.
But this is just one fuel company, who knows what all the others do and what their requirements are. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!