Author Topic: A Week In Austin, TX, On A Joint $87,200 Salary  (Read 6827 times)

poko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A Week In Austin, TX, On A Joint $87,200 Salary
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »
http://www.refinery29.com/money-diary-austin-tx-administrator-executive-assistant-salary

As someone who lives in Austin, my jaw was dropping more and more as I got through each one of her days. I can't even with this lady's spending.

She says she can "afford" to live paycheck to paycheck due to her $450k inheritance that will be her retirement. And then she complains about wanting to be a stay at home dog mom. Listen, lady, you could have that before 55 if you stopped hemorrhaging money. 

fat-johnny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: A Week In Austin, TX, On A Joint $87,200 Salary
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »
"Monthly Expenses:
Health Insurance: $32. My company has GREAT insurance and the majority of this is FSA contribution."

Wow....what an overacheiver!!
FJ

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
If I had a $450k inheritance given to me right now I could quit on the spot. I wouldn't as I enjoy my job and would probably need a few years to take care of my company and employees but it would be nice knowing that I could be in Phuket just about any time I wanted.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
http://www.refinery29.com/money-diary-austin-tx-administrator-executive-assistant-salary

As someone who lives in Austin, my jaw was dropping more and more as I got through each one of her days. I can't even with this lady's spending.

She says she can "afford" to live paycheck to paycheck due to her $450k inheritance that will be her retirement. And then she complains about wanting to be a stay at home dog mom. Listen, lady, you could have that before 55 if you stopped hemorrhaging money.

Well, Sunday brunch is a big deal in Austin!

I think my favorite is that she feels a little guilty for using the toll road, but thinks nothing of spending twice as much at Starbucks. Or maybe it is getting a Tesla to counteract the SUV?

We would probably finish out 2018 if given $450k today. Maybe not, though, DH has been in a lot of pain and the accompanying foul mood lately.

poko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
One of my coworkers just pointed out that this is a whole series on this website. I might get sucked in.

I also would love to submit one at some point lol.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »
One of my coworkers just pointed out that this is a whole series on this website. I might get sucked in.

Mine would be $0, $0, $0, $0, $0, $0 most weeks.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
Wow, she sure does eat out a lot.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
We go to Freebirds

At least she makes some good choices

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »
I lost it at the first time someone complained about the flight from Dallas to Austin, and then seriously lost it when she was talking about spending $560 for less than a DAY trip. Its going to take them more time to drive to the airport, get on the plane, fly, and land, than it would for them to just drive.

hal12marls

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »
In one week, she spent nearly double my monthly food budget for two people. She makes some reasonable choices (using her company's cafeteria plan instead of going out) and I don't much worry about the toll road (if it does save as much time as she makes it seem like, that would be worth the small fee. Then she has no worries about buying three bottles of wine a week, in addition to mimosas with brunch and margaritas with dinner...

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
"Monthly Expenses:
Health Insurance: $32. My company has GREAT insurance and the majority of this is FSA contribution."

Wow....what an overacheiver!!
FJ

To be fair, it doesn't make sense to contribute too much to an FSA because of the limited-to-nonexistant rollover. A 28-year-old probably does not have high medical costs.

poko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 06:52:58 PM »
Its going to take them more time to drive to the airport, get on the plane, fly, and land, than it would for them to just drive.

The worst part is it turns out she lives in Round Rock, which is on the north side of town (aka closer to Dallas), the airport is south. She mentioned in the comments that taking the tollroad to the airport will make it fast. Sheesh.

EricL

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
She’s a spendy girl.  That’s for certain. But barring a financial catastrophe like a major health problem or divorce (with the husband getting a fat alimony because he makes less), it looks like her math is correct. Providing the stock market performs OK and the inheritance isn’t in some fee heavy investment company, she’ll have the same amount of income to piss away at 55 as she does now.  And that doesn’t include whatever her husband has going on financially. 

It is kind of sad that with a disciplined drive she could be insanely FIRE’d in a decade and a half though.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:01:23 PM by EricL »

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »
If you take the tollroad every day where I live (to and from work) you can easily spend $200 a month. Just on tolls. No thanks.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
She’s a spendy girl.  That’s for certain. But barring a financial catastrophe like a major health problem or divorce (with the husband getting a fat alimony because he makes less), it looks like her math is correct. Providing the stock market performs OK and the inheritance isn’t in some fee heavy investment company, she’ll have the same amount of income to piss away at 55 as she does now.  And that doesn’t include whatever her husband has going on financially. 

It is kind of sad that with a disciplined drive she could be insanely FIRE’d in a decade and a half though.

What if they have children though. Would she still be FIRE'd in a decade and a half? If I read correctly they are still planning to have kids.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »
This gave me anxiety.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 07:36:04 PM »
Its going to take them more time to drive to the airport, get on the plane, fly, and land, than it would for them to just drive.

The worst part is it turns out she lives in Round Rock, which is on the north side of town (aka closer to Dallas), the airport is south. She mentioned in the comments that taking the tollroad to the airport will make it fast. Sheesh.

I was also wondering where in Dallas she was going, ie, how far from.the airport on that end?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 06:40:23 AM »
We go to Freebirds

At least she makes some good choices

Freebirds is always on my "to do" list when I go back to Texas; but they were better before they started trying to do so much.

I can't imagine flying from Dallas, even if you live near the airport.  And I do the Austin-Fort Worth drive frequently.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »
I'm reading the first day... what's a Model 3 and why does her husband need one? Is that some hybrid? They pay almost 1000 a month for vehicles already and he needs a new one for his barely over minimum wage job?

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
OK I kept reading. This must be a joke: "I got a 12' Xmas tree for SOOO cheap only 225$!!! But I'd be so mad if I had to pay 3 bucks at the ATM!"

This

Cannot

Be

Real

katethekitcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »
This. Is. Awful. It's not even just the spending, it's the way she JUSTIFIES the spending. "Ideally, I'd drive a more fuel-efficient vehicle, but I love my SUV and all the space. Our dogs fit comfortably, and once we have kids, it'll fit the whole family. Plus, once the Model 3 is available, we're getting one for my husband, and that will ease my gas mileage guilt."

It also has basic calculation errors. For example, the lunch thing: "I still have money on my badge, so it doesn't cost me anything."

No, it costs you $30/the number of days you buy lunch.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »
I'm reading the first day... what's a Model 3 and why does her husband need one? Is that some hybrid? They pay almost 1000 a month for vehicles already and he needs a new one for his barely over minimum wage job?

I think it is a Tesla.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 12:44:42 PM »

I think it is a Tesla.

The initial price for a Model 3 was supposed to be $30k but they will end up being more like $45k by the time they get to market. This guy's going to drive a car that costs more money than he makes in a year...

EricL

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »

What if they have children though. Would she still be FIRE'd in a decade and a half? If I read correctly they are still planning to have kids.

You're probably correct.  I wrote a more in depth reply along with a website that claimed raising a kid costs $233k from age 0 to 17.  She'll be hosed if she goes for two. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »
You should!  I think it would be nice to see a frugal person every once in a while. 

poko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 08:37:55 PM »
I'm curious to read the other diaries. My coworker said she reads them all and it's interesting "how frugal some people are" so there are some people who don't spend as much. Probably due to not having high salaries though. As someone who is kind of a completionist, I don't think I can start this series quite yet haha. I'll get sucked in to too many.

I did read the one where a lady made $1.25M a year though. That was .. oof.

elementz_m

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 03:33:04 AM »
I'm curious to read the other diaries. My coworker said she reads them all and it's interesting "how frugal some people are" so there are some people who don't spend as much. Probably due to not having high salaries though. As someone who is kind of a completionist, I don't think I can start this series quite yet haha. I'll get sucked in to too many.

I did read the one where a lady made $1.25M a year though. That was .. oof.

You might like this one: http://www.refinery29.com/money-diary-nashville-graduate-program-administrative-assistant-salary

Fairly low salary, with an expensive hobby, but she's quite sensible about it, and moving in the right direction.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 07:21:03 AM »

Yeah, not sure how/why, but this started showing up in my spam folder a couple of months ago. The whole website's a real shitshow, but these stories take the cake!

Of course it's worth $530 to avoid a 3 hour drive from Austin to Dallas! Nevermind that you'll have to get to the airport at least an hour (and probably more since it's Christmas Eve) early to get through security.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:52:37 AM by ducky19 »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »
An hour ahead of the flight both ways too...

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 06:27:31 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of alcohol.

And since she doesn't seem like the kind of person that opts for public transport, and there is no fee for a taxi, im guessing she drove home from bottomless mimosa.