Author Topic: A salon just for eyelashes  (Read 2446 times)

flamingo25

• Stubble
A salon just for eyelashes
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
The posh Seattle area city I used to live in now has a salon exclusively for eyelash extensions. You can pay $40 for "temporary" extensions or $80-$250 (plus regular maintenance) for long-term lashes.

http://www.noirlashlounge.com

To make it better, someone tried to convince my husband that he needs to "treat" me to this service because I "deserve" it.

I've seen it all.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:56:14 PM by flamingo25 »

Donovan

• Stubble
Re: A salon just for eyelashes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 05:10:11 AM »
I was just talking to some extended relative up from Texas for the holidays and we were discussing this. I guess one of their nieces down there quit a career in dentistry to open up a shop like that so that she could work easier hours and make more money.  She calls herself a 'Lashinista' and couldn't be happier, but I can't imagine what her clientele looks like.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:39:05 AM »
Shocking, isn't it? Hollywood has now begun convincing women that if we don't have these ridiculously long lashes, we're not beautiful. It amazes me the crap I see people fall for and spend their hard earned money on.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
Shocking, isn't it? Hollywood has now begun convincing women that if we don't have these ridiculously long lashes, we're not beautiful. It amazes me the crap I see people fall for and spend their hard earned money on.

It used to amaze me, but seeing my friends wife spend money on things/services like this it no longer does.  The beauty industry does not get a dime from me and I say that proudly.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »
I admit to having had eyelash extensions for 2 years.  I paid $200 for the first set and then paid $40 every three weeks to have them touched up (plus $10 tip).  I justified it by comparing it to my friends who got their nails done just as often paying pretty much the same thing for that.  I loved the extensions... they looked great and I never had to worry about makeup.  Having them saved me time getting ready every morning and I really liked the way they looked.

I stopped having them done last summer when I realized (way before finding MMM) that spending almost $700 a year for something like that really wasn't a good use of our money.  Granted, sweet DH and I make a ridiculous amount of money, have no debt outside our mortgage, and live well below our means. This was my only "personal treat" expense but it was still a big expense.

We had been planning an early retirement in June of 2018 when we would be 55 (the magic age for 401K penalty-free withdrawals) and 54.  Since finding MMM and reevaluating ALL of our expenses, we've since moved that retirement date up to November 2015, over 2 1/2 years earlier!