Author Topic: A promise of some tragic comedy....  (Read 16997 times)

LakewoodStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A promise of some tragic comedy....
« on: April 01, 2014, 06:05:35 AM »
I work in a high rise office building that houses law firms, private investment firms and other high incomes jobs. 

That means awesomely anti-mustachian vehicles :) 

I'll strategically park to get some shots of these things over the next few days.

I'll blur the license plates to protect the guilty.

When I see these vehicles I think of them as x percentage of the capital needed for my FI.

"There goes 1/6th of the capital needed for my FI.."  I chuckle inside every time I see one.

What can I promise in terms of makes and models?  Porsche, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Mercedes and others.  One Rolls Royce I know of for sure but it doesn't make an appearance every day.

The best examples appear on Friday when the weather is gorgeous.

happy

• Walrus Stache
Re: A promise of some tragic comedy....
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:21:24 AM »
"There goes 1/6th of the capital needed for my FI.."  I chuckle inside every time I see one.

Hehe, just what I think too. Best cure for Penis Envy https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/vehicle-manliness/ Look forward to the eye candy.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
What can I promise in terms of makes and models?  Porsche, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Mercedes and others.

I dunno.   If you enjoy sports cars, and have the disposable income to pay cash for them, then buying a Porsche or Ferrari isn't all that unreasonable.  Certainly less anti-Mustachian (IMHO, anyway) than buying a big, fancy truck or SUV for $60K or so, and having to make payments for 5-7 years or more, as many less affluent folks do.

Indeed, I think I could make a case that for people in that income bracket, those cars aren't really anti-Mustachian at all.  Let's assume, just for discussion, that they've already achieved FI.  Then they're spending disposable income on enjoyment, while the SUV-buying po' folks are at least in part spending borrowed money on social pressure.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
How much of the 'enjoyment' of driving a luxury vehicle (which must obey the same speed limits and traffic laws as the 5k Corolla in traffic in front of you, so performance is a largely unimportant difference) comes purely from social pressure to peacock about?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:17 PM »
For extra fun.. Park your complete POS slightly too close to the most expensive vehicle.. so it looks like you probably banged the door and then climb out the other side...:)

Frank

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:31:48 PM »
For extra fun.. Park your complete POS slightly too close to the most expensive vehicle.. so it looks like you probably banged the door and then climb out the other side...:)

Frank

I can't, typically the expensive vehicles are double parked.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »

The weather is only gorgeous on Fridays? How does that work? :)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »
What can I promise in terms of makes and models?  Porsche, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Mercedes and others.  One Rolls Royce I know of for sure but it doesn't make an appearance every day.
This reminds me of the parking lot of the Waialae Country Club.  When I don't recognize the manufacturer/model of the car, it's usually because it's one of those brands.

I've learned to spot the Teslas, though...

LakewoodStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 08:39:58 PM »

Frank

This guy paid for 5 spots which he had the management of the property re-arrange into 4 spots to prevent this very thing.  LOL

I just wanna be clear that if you are FI and this is what you want to do with your money then more power to you.

This gorgeous beast is a Mercedes Benz S65 AMG.  Tipping the scales at $175,000US full loaded it pumps out 577 hp and 664 ft-lb torque. 

The house I intend to buy and rehab is roughly 100k less than this vehicle. 

The price of this full loaded world beater is about 1/6th of what I need to be FI.

Just a nice little taster to whet your whistle. 

Oh bonus if you can spot the baby hummer behind the Benzer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:41:30 PM by LakewoodStache »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 12:05:16 AM »
How much of the 'enjoyment' of driving a luxury vehicle (which must obey the same speed limits and traffic laws as the 5k Corolla in traffic in front of you, so performance is a largely unimportant difference) comes purely from social pressure to peacock about?

Now that all depends on a) how much time you spend in traffic, and whether you really are into obedience when it comes to speed limits, or tend to treat them more as general guidelines.  For the first, I can easily find roads hereabouts (say Nevada SR 305 & 722) where you can drive for hours and not see another vehicle, let alone a cop, and your speed is pretty much limited by free-range cattle :-)

Then too, if you're like me, and think going through curves is more fun than going real fast on a straight, there are roads like California's Highway 4.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 02:01:29 AM »

Frank

So now that I'm in a fancy part of Joburg I'm seeing all these shiny, weird looking cars. Some of them have custom number plates with "Maserati" or "Bentley" (or whatever) on them, I guess for us plebs who don't know better. Most of these cars take up a full curbside parking space and some don't even bother to straighten up. It gives me great satisfaction to squeeze in next to them, especially when the owners are watching from the coffee shop across the road and wondering how they're going to get out...

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »

Frank

Even bettter! Double park right next to them. They'll think twice about double parking again.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »

Frank

Even bettter! Double park right next to them. They'll think twice about double parking again.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »

(Sigh) You just don't understand really wealthy people.  If the door gets banged up, you just buy another car.

LakewoodStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 05:58:36 AM »

911 Carrera 4s
MSRP $105,630, 400hp, 185mph top speed!

CLS 550, MSRP $85,500, 402hp, 0 - 60 in 5 seconds (fast for such a big vehicle)

Infiniti Q56, MSRP $59,082, 14 mpg in the city!!

About a quarter of a million dollars worth a vehicle. 

To be fair, maybe 10% of the drivers of these vehicles can truly afford to spend like this and have a huge nest egg sitting in the bank.  The rest are pretenders trying to keep up with their peers. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 06:42:10 AM »

911 Carrera 4s

CLS 550, MSRP $85,500, 402hp, 0 - 60 in 5 seconds (fast for such a big vehicle)

Infiniti Q56, MSRP $59,082, 14 mpg in the city!!

To be fair, maybe 10% of the drivers of these vehicles can truly afford to spend like this and have a huge nest egg sitting in the bank.  The rest are pretenders trying to keep up with their peers.

I'd like to point out that 2/3 of the above pictures are improperly parked.  Which furthers my theory that not only are people who buy these cars often douches, but they suck at driving.

jjquantz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 06:51:32 AM »

I'd like to point out that 2/3 of the above pictures are improperly parked.  Which furthers my theory that not only are people who buy these cars often douches, but they suck at driving.

My only OCD trait is that I am scrupulous about parking absolutely square, absolutely in the middle of a parking space.  It has become a game with me to do this in a single motion pulling into the space.

Also, more on topic, my '02 Hyundai definitely sticks out in the golf course parking lot.  I sometimes try to park next to the most expensive vehicle I notice just to emphasize the contrast.

Panly

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »

911 Carrera 4s

Real bargain price, in the home country, the cheapest like that I could find, is about EUR 117,000 - corresponds to about $160k.   

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 12:01:26 PM »

I don't think they suck at driving. I think they are so self-centered and egotistical that they believe the rules don't apply to them. Not just rich folks, of course, but there is a consistency between types of folks, the jobs they are attracted to, and their habits that is hard to ignore.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
I don't think they suck at driving. I think they are so self-centered and egotistical that they believe the rules don't apply to them. Not just rich folks, of course...

But as I said above, these are not true rich folks (who don't care), they are faux rich, still taking pride in minor possessions, and playing the status symbol game...

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
^Yes, the truly rich don't worry so much about getting a little scratch.

The first white benz looks like a pontiac grand am to me, and the color makes me think they rented it from enterprise. 

I've worked with douches who would park "their baby" far from everyone else.  Periodically some would nestle their POS right next to them just to piss them off (and it worked.)  I truly do not understand car pride.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 03:00:54 PM »
Douchebag = Double parking up front - I don't care if it's a Ferrari or a Corolla.

Not Douchebag = Double parking in the deep end of the lot. Most people are bitter morons and will park beside you anyways because they need to use other vehicles for their guidelines.

I feel like there is a lot of hatred in this thread. Some people actually do earn enough to afford those cars and still have good savings rates. You guys are wasting your life, time, and keystrokes getting bitter online about nice cars.

I enjoy cars myself and would happily spend another year in my cube to be able to afford my hobby... but then again, I can't see myself resorting to dumpster diving. So to each their own, but I just find all the assumptions pretty offensive.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 03:09:37 PM »
Not Douchebag = Double parking in the deep end of the lot.
If it's OK because nobody needs those spaces anyway, then why not just park in the deep end properly, surrounded by all those empty spaces?

Whether or not there's plenty of space, double-parking means, "I would rather prevent a stranger from parking at all, than trust them to park next to me". That's douchebaggery, don't do it. Also, "plenty of space" when you park your own car doesn't mean there will be plenty of space throughout the whole day.

It would be like somebody's handing out chocolate bars and you take two of them. Even if there will be some left over, what makes you so important that you're the one who gets two? How much of a douchebag do you have to be, to think that the one perfectly adequate chocolate bar offered to you isn't enough?

I get it, you're worried some careless peasant will scratch your car and it will cost you a year of their meagre salary to get the paintwork redone. Well, the responsibility of that high-maintenance paintwork was your choice to take on when you decided to buy a clownmobile; it's not society's responsibility to provide you with twice as many parking spaces as everyone else.

I mean, I'll never have to park a car, because I'll never have a car or know how to drive, so it doesn't even affect me. But seeing that some douchebag has double-parked their car just makes me think, "wow, what a douchebag".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:50:53 PM by warfreak2 »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Parking in two spaces just implies to me that you think you have double the value of others.  I think it's douchery no matter where or when it is done.

I don't have hatred for people who buy these cars, but I have to say I do not understand it at all.  Why not buy a normal but still nice car, invest the difference, and keep that money but give even just the interest to charity?  Or just tip your local waitress better?

Besides, science has proven that people who drive these cars are more likely to be inconsiderate jerks:
http://usa.streetsblog.org/2013/07/16/study-wealthier-motorists-more-likely-to-drive-like-reckless-jerks/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:44:03 PM by Zamboni »

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
I was really confused for a bit in this thread re "double parking." IMO, y'all are not using it correctly. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_parking

Anyhoo, my rule of thumb is that if a scratch or ding in my car would cause great anguish, I should not have bought that car in the first place. It's a means of getting from A to B, not a piece of art.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 04:16:15 PM »
My two cents: we all have hobbies, and there is someone else out there that just won't be able to relate.

I don't understand people who spend money on beer or cars. They probably don't understand my fascination with jewellery and tattoos.

So... I'm loving this thread! Hilarious to me. But it's all subjective :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
My two cents: we all have hobbies, and there is someone else out there that just won't be able to relate.

I don't understand people who spend money on beer or cars. They probably don't understand my fascination with jewellery and tattoos.

At this point its totally fun for me too. Not too much hating!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
If it's OK because nobody needs those spaces anyway, then why not just park in the deep end properly, surrounded by all those empty spaces?

Whether or not there's plenty of space, double-parking means, "I would rather prevent a stranger from parking at all, than trust them to park next to me". That's douchebaggery, don't do it. Also, "plenty of space" when you park your own car doesn't mean there will be plenty of space throughout the whole day.

It would be like somebody's handing out chocolate bars and you take two of them. Even if there will be some left over, what makes you so important that you're the one who gets two? How much of a douchebag do you have to be, to think that the one perfectly adequate chocolate bar offered to you isn't enough?

I get it, you're worried some careless peasant will scratch your car and it will cost you a year of their meagre salary to get the paintwork redone. Well, the responsibility of that high-maintenance paintwork was your choice to take on when you decided to buy a clownmobile; it's not society's responsibility to provide you with twice as many parking spaces as everyone else.

I mean, I'll never have to park a car, because I'll never have a car or know how to drive, so it doesn't even affect me. But seeing that some douchebag has double-parked their car just makes me think, "wow, what a douchebag".

If you are going to quote and respond to a specific line... it's weird that you would omit the part that already answered what you just posted. Not Douchebag = Double parking in the deep end of the lot. Most people are bitter morons and will park beside you anyways because they need to use other vehicles for their guidelines.

I recently had a minivan rental vehicle. I do not care at all if there was a scratch or a ding, but out of my lifetime habit I still park in the very back and walk a little extra. While driving said van, people still park right next to it when there is those empty spaces you speak of. That's what I'm saying... even when you park in the back like a normal person the dumb people still can't park properly with guided assistance. Let me know if you understand what I'm saying? I'm not trying to argue with you about something trivial but just interesting how much negativity is spewing from you...

So if you hand out these candy bars, nobody should take two? Everyone should only have equal portions of everything? Communism isn't my cup of tea, but to each their own good sir.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »

If you enjoy sports cars, and have the disposable income to pay cash for them, then buying a Porsche or Ferrari isn't all that unreasonable.  Certainly less anti-Mustachian (IMHO, anyway) than buying a big, fancy truck or SUV for $60K or so, and having to make payments for 5-7 years or more, as many less affluent folks do.

Indeed, I think I could make a case that for people in that income bracket, those cars aren't really anti-Mustachian at all.  Let's assume, just for discussion, that they've already achieved FI.  Then they're spending disposable income on enjoyment, while the SUV-buying po' folks are at least in part spending borrowed money on social pressure.

Having just said this post if just fun for me, this made me pause to think.  At some point I think spending so much money on an object that far exceeds the requirements for which it is made, just because you can, is immoral. For me buying 5 car spaces and putting a car worth>150k in it, just because you can/I deserve it/cars are my passion,  well that makes me a bit queasy in the guts.  I worry about poor old planet earth and I'm not sure her generosity can sustain such excessiveness.

This applies to other areas other than cars, so I'm not "hating" on cars, in fact I'm not "hating" at all, just worried.  The other problem I have is defining a cut-off point - is a 60k car ok and a 150k car not? That might depend on a whole lot of factors.   And who decides? So I can't defend this notion in a rigid fashion, but definitely am clear that the current trend of excessive consumption cannot continue and we all have a responsibility to take some steps to decrease our footprint.

I'm sure this notion of limits on personal autonomy will seem "unAmerican" to some folks, but at some point community justice takes precedence.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 05:04:42 PM »
Parking in two spaces just implies to me that you think you have double the value of others.  I think it's douchery no matter where or when it is done.

I don't have hatred for people who buy these cars, but I have to say I do not understand it at all.  Why not buy a normal but still nice car, invest the difference, and keep that money but give even just the interest to charity?  Or just tip your local waitress better?

Besides, science has proven that people who drive these cars are more likely to be inconsiderate jerks:
http://usa.streetsblog.org/2013/07/16/study-wealthier-motorists-more-likely-to-drive-like-reckless-jerks/

Surely you must have a hobby or interest that you spend more on the the average person?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »

Agree --- I enjoy tattoo's as well and think it's funny when people ask my about the ROI on them.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »

If you enjoy sports cars, and have the disposable income to pay cash for them, then buying a Porsche or Ferrari isn't all that unreasonable.  Certainly less anti-Mustachian (IMHO, anyway) than buying a big, fancy truck or SUV for $60K or so, and having to make payments for 5-7 years or more, as many less affluent folks do.

Having just said this post if just fun for me, this made me pause to think.  At some point I think spending so much money on an object that far exceeds the requirements for which it is made, just because you can, is immoral. For me buying 5 car spaces and putting a car worth>150k in it, just because you can/I deserve it/cars are my passion,  well that makes me a bit queasy in the guts.  I worry about poor old planet earth and I'm not sure her generosity can sustain such excessiveness.

This applies to other areas other than cars, so I'm not "hating" on cars, in fact I'm not "hating" at all, just worried.  The other problem I have is defining a cut-off point - is a 60k car ok and a 150k car not? That might depend on a whole lot of factors.   And who decides? So I can't defend this notion in a rigid fashion, but definitely am clear that the current trend of excessive consumption cannot continue and we all have a responsibility to take some steps to decrease our footprint.

I'm sure this notion of limits on personal autonomy will seem "unAmerican" to some folks, but at some point community justice takes precedence.

Supply and demand.

Society and people drove up the prices of the exotic cars. People taking loans to buy exotic cars blows my mind. I think they are toys that should only be purchased in cash - just like motorcycles, atv's, boats, etc. They are by no means a necessity and I agree that we are killing the Earth.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »
If you are going to quote and respond to a specific line... it's weird that you would omit the part that already answered what you just posted. Not Douchebag = Double parking in the deep end of the lot. Most people are bitter morons and will park beside you anyways because they need to use other vehicles for their guidelines.
How does that remotely answer anything that I wrote?

just interesting how much negativity is spewing from you...
I'm not the one who said "most people are bitter morons" or "You guys are wasting your life", but to each their own. As far as I know, I'm not even talking about you specifically, because so far you haven't actually admitted that you double-park, though you have heavily implied it.

So if you hand out these candy bars, nobody should take two? Everyone should only have equal portions of everything? Communism isn't my cup of tea, but to each their own good sir.
Uh, yeah. Nobody should take two. You are being offered one. It's not up to you to decide that you should get two. That isn't Communism, it's "not taking more than you are entitled to", it's "not being a douchebag".

I agree that we are killing the Earth.
And you do it anyway? Because of a toy you like?
What
I don't understand you at all.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »
Double-posting (oh, the irony!) because actually, the idea that someone should get two parking spaces because they need to protect their paintwork, is very reminiscent of the Communist mantra "from each according to their ability, to each according to their need" (oh, the irony!).

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
I enjoy cars myself and would happily spend another year in my cube to be able to afford my hobby... but then again, I can't see myself resorting to dumpster diving. So to each their own, but I just find all the assumptions pretty offensive.

You're offended that most here think spending $100K+ on a car is the height of ridiculousness?  You may have missed the forum section that you're posting in, but it's the Antimustacian Wall of Shame and Comedy.  This is the exact place where we come to make fun of people who have more money than sense.  If you're offended by that, then this might not be the place where you'll want to hang out.  Other forum sections are more tolerant of Antimustacian behavior.  Try the Journal section.  People are more forgiving there.  Here we call a douchebag a douchebag.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »

This is hilarious, thanks!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
Here, what you are calling douche-bag we would say "thats unaustralian!". We believe in "a fair go". Or in vernacular "fair suck of the sauce bottle".

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
okay, you guys win. haha

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »
For me buying 5 car spaces and putting a car worth>150k in it, just because you can/I deserve it/cars are my passion,  well that makes me a bit queasy in the guts.  I worry about poor old planet earth and I'm not sure her generosity can sustain such excessiveness.

I think the flaw in your thinking (about the car: I agree about the 5 parking spaces) is that the environmental footprint of a car does not correspond to its MSRP.  Indeed, if the expensive car is a Tesla Roadster and the cheaper one is say a low-trim Suburban or Explorer, the cheaper car will have a considerably larger footprint.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 10:59:02 PM »
I'll admit it, I'm a car girl. But none of those pictured are even remotely interesting. I learned early on that DH and I must not go car shopping together because we would likely come home with one. If we won the lottery we would purchase immediately a stable of our favorite cars, mine English, his German. And all old.

So my mustachean DH did buy for himself his dream car when he turned 50, and since he's mustachean it was a very modest $14,000: one of those old wear-like-iron Benz 450 SL's. While the car wasn't that expensive, we did have to build a house for it. The garage set us back $25,000. Really, though, in the overview, for a mid-life crises it was better than a 25 year old redhead, from my POV.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 12:36:44 AM »
This thread reminded me of this video...

"I've got a Ferrari so I can park in the handicapped spot!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pj8QKTvRTQ

roboto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 02:42:49 AM »
Skimmed through the various shiny car pictures and price tags.

mfw I realized half the cars are cheaper than a Toyota here :|

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2014, 09:12:53 AM »
Let me preface this by saying: anyone who takes up more than one parking space is a douchebag, whether it's at the front of the lot, or the far away back corner of the lot.

That being said, I try to park far away from other people (and take up only one spot). I do that because other people (including people in their cheap "mustache mobiles") are inconsiderate douchebags who don't care about damaging other people's property. I am perfectly capable of parking right next to someone else's car and NOT hitting or scratching it. There's no reason other people can't do the same. To imply that I should just accept that it will eventually get scratched and that it's somehow my own fault for wanting to keep my car looking nice is asinine. Just because you don't care if your own car gets scratched, doesn't mean it's ok to be careless around others' cars.

And I'm not one of those people who spent an obscene amount of money on a fancy car. I have a 22 year old Honda Accord. But it's in perfect condition and looks better than most 5 year old cars. And you bet I'd be pissed if someone carelessly opened their door into it.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2014, 10:31:58 AM »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
Let me preface this by saying: anyone who takes up more than one parking space is a douchebag, whether it's at the front of the lot, or the far away back corner of the lot.

That being said, I try to park far away from other people (and take up only one spot).

Then there's the flip side of this: people who cruise up & down every lane of the lot, trying to find the spot that's closest to the door.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2014, 04:36:32 PM »
For me buying 5 car spaces and putting a car worth>150k in it, just because you can/I deserve it/cars are my passion,  well that makes me a bit queasy in the guts.  I worry about poor old planet earth and I'm not sure her generosity can sustain such excessiveness.

I think the flaw in your thinking (about the car: I agree about the 5 parking spaces) is that the environmental footprint of a car does not correspond to its MSRP.  Indeed, if the expensive car is a Tesla Roadster and the cheaper one is say a low-trim Suburban or Explorer, the cheaper car will have a considerably larger footprint.

You're correct Jamesqf. I did say once one started to drill down into my general notion of greediness/planetary concern, there were certain problems.  I think spending way more than you need on an item represents an opportunity cost that reflects on the planet, even if there is not specifically an environmental cost in way you suggest.  But buying a v expensive car is no worse than going to the mall and senselessly buying up  cheap trinkets and gadgets that momentarily tickle our fancy, then get discarded into landfill.

LakewoodStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2014, 10:09:37 PM »
To be fair, some of the people that own these cars are knocking it out of the park income-wise.  A small percentage.  The others are playing keep up/catch up. 

To each their own.  I'd love to to drive the Porsche or the big Benz.  Nice cars.  Comfortable, fast and pretty. 

Me personally though love rescue dogs too much to drive a vehicle like the ones pictured.  I'd rather help my local no kill shelter.  Everyone is different in that regard.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2014, 01:51:24 AM »

I "collect" sports cars. Admittedly I'm down to 2 at the moment. Paid cash. Well and truly used, and the newest is a 1988 model Lotus Esprit. I figure I'm saving the earth by not perpetuating the new car construction industry. And it's my entertainment.

I don't drive above the speed limit, except on the track. I *do* nail the twisty mountain roads that have an 80kph speed limit at right on 80kph when the Camry drivers can only do 50. It makes me happy, and it's a 4 cylinder so it doesn't use much fuel.

So is the person who always buys boring cars that are less than 10 years old killing the earth at a faster rate than me, despite the fact that my car drives / looks / feels better? I think so. I don't see that as immoral.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2014, 08:03:39 AM »
. Really, though, in the overview, for a mid-life crises it was better than a 25 year old redhead, from my POV.

As a 50 Y.O male, I would find it difficult to agree with your conclusion. Being of a logical and scientific mind, I'm quite sure that a through "interview" and physical examination of the aforementioned red head would be prudent. Thus providing a comparative knowledge base to use whilst shopping for the perfect old German steed. :)