Author Topic: A product as stupid as bottled water  (Read 16754 times)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
A product as stupid as bottled water
« on: September 19, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »
Yes, for only $30 you can buy a product that will tell you when you're out of eggs.  And it requires batteries!  Could anyone on the planet actually need this item? 

http://smile.amazon.com/Minder-Wink-App-Enabled-Smart-Model/dp/B00YP591HO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1442689412&sr=8-6&keywords=quirky+egg+minder

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
Re: A product as stupid as bottled water
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »
Oh seriously. I'd rather just have "Refrigerator Cam" and "Pantry Cam" that I can view at the store and see how low I am on milk.

NDQ

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »
Oh seriously. I'd rather just have "Refrigerator Cam" and "Pantry Cam" that I can view at the store and see how low I am on milk.
But somebody would still have to open the door to turn the light on so you could see the eggs.
You could have a robot arm to open the door - but then the egg minder is probably cheaper

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 06:28:24 PM »
Great! Now I have to find a product that alerts me when the batteries are running low on my egg alerter.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 09:30:39 PM »
MrsPete, do you live in Woodstock, GA?  My favorite features of this are that it "irelessly connects to your mobile device" and you can "heck [the] Egg Minder while at the store."

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 10:59:59 PM »
My favorite features of this are that it "irelessly connects to your mobile device"
You have to admit this is a lot better than the old model, which was full of ire. You start to dread the alert sound from your smartphone in case it's your egg minder calling to curse you out again for running out of eggs...

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 08:42:25 AM »
I just check my food supplies before I go to the store, and buy whatever's running low.  I thought that was the normal procedure.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 09:46:36 AM »
My favorite features of this are that it "irelessly connects to your mobile device"
You have to admit this is a lot better than the old model, which was full of ire. You start to dread the alert sound from your smartphone in case it's your egg minder calling to curse you out again for running out of eggs...
Ah is this why people heck it?  Because I imagine that's what I'd do to a cursing, nagging eggminder..."heck you, eggminder - just heck you to hell!"  And then spitefully refuse to purchase eggs.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 11:43:41 AM »

NDQ
Is that a real thing?  I just have a pencil and paper, and I use my perfectly good eyes to verify the contents of my food storage. 
But somebody would still have to open the door to turn the light on so you could see the eggs.
You could have a robot arm to open the door - but then the egg minder is probably cheaper
Rather than maintain the batteries, lights, and robot arm, wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy more eggs "just in case"? 

Or skip it ... because until they invent a milk-minder, you're going to have to make the trip back to the store anyway.
MrsPete, do you live in Woodstock, GA?  My favorite features of this are that it "irelessly connects to your mobile device" and you can "heck [the] Egg Minder while at the store."
Nope, I'm Southern but not Georgian.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 11:55:04 AM »
Why don't fridge doors just have windows?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »

Insulation.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 01:41:23 PM »

They run much better on Linux.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 02:35:27 PM »

Insulation.
Double Glazing
And you wouldn't lose all the cold air when you open the door to check if you have eggs

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »
I just check my food supplies before I go to the store, and buy whatever's running low.  I thought that was the normal procedure.

Normal procedure, sure...but it's not the wave of the future!! ;)

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 06:42:01 PM »

Normal procedure, sure...but it's not the wave of the future!! ;)

The future: just snap a photo of the inside of the fridge with your smartphone before you got to the store.  Ditto with the pantry. No need for those stinkin lists!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »
If I find I'm getting low on eggs, I go out to the henhouse and check under the nearest chicken's ass. That's a foolproof system: the batteries never run out, and none of the little cluckers has ever been hacked.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 05:20:35 AM »

Some do (glass fronts).  I don't think they are as energy efficient as the "normal" ones.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 08:12:23 AM »
Ahem... no.

I thought I'd never say this in my life, but this product is actually dumber.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
In-tray LED lights indicate the oldest egg, while push notifications alert you when you're running

Two birds with one stone! I often forget that I happen to be running. And what's more, I never know which egg is oldest!

Seriously, though, this is stupid on so many levels. First of all, who would spend $30 for the privilege of re-cartoning eggs every time they buy them? Surely that takes more time than just checking the fridge before you go out.

You know something crazy? I know how many eggs I have in the fridge right now. Not that hard to remember when you're the one buying or consuming them on a near-daily basis.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 01:53:17 PM »
Really - I mean who d'fck even thinks of manufactures and markets this crap.
I've had n'eouf  of this crap.
its a poor yolk.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »

Nobody wants to worry about keeping the items in their fridge tidy-looking.

Besides, how do you stick magnets to a glass refrigerator door?

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 02:18:39 PM »
If I find I'm getting low on eggs, I go out to the henhouse and check under the nearest chicken's ass. That's a foolproof system: the batteries never run out, and none of the little cluckers has ever been hacked.

This made me LOL.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »
I'd say dumber! At least bottled water comes in handy when you're in an area with bad-tasting tap water and you don't want to travel with a Brita pitcher.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 03:11:22 PM »
The Amazon reviews for this are the best I've ever seen - better than the Bic for Her pens and Binders of Women products! There are  just enough legitimate buyers that they cluelessly answer the questions, and it's golden.

Plus a hidden mustachian:
Q: $78 to monitor a $2 carton of eggs?

A: It's like buying insurance, a lot can go wrong even if they are eggs!
If it makes you feel any better, you will make your money back after 39 cartons of eggs. Perhaps you can purchase eggs that are more expensive, that way you can get your money's worth a lot sooner.
Lady

A: It's a steal! It pays for itself after you've bought 39 cartons of eggs (assuming a carton contains 14 eggs).
Scooby12

Ever been out on a brisk walk trying to work out the stress from the day and then suddenly been hit with a wave of anxiety wondering just how many eggs are in the fridge and what condition they might possibly be in? Well, with the egg minder those panic attacks are for ever behind us. This product works anywhere too, so we can check on our eggs from the John, or the back of a police car, or even from in the emergency room, because those warning signs to turn off all cell phones are just stupid.

The Eggminder will set all of our hearts and minds at ease. Our dreams of a more peaceful world are at hand.

Thank you Eggminder. Thank you.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »

You're lucky.  I've had a few cluckers that have been hacked.  To pieces.  Damn racoons...

bagap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »

They run much better on Linux.

THAT goes without saying :D

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2015, 05:07:28 PM »
At least it doesn't pollute the earth for 50,000 years every time you use an egg.  So it's got that going for it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
I don't see it as being any sillier than a swiffer.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »
I don't see it as being any sillier than a swiffer.
Disagree.  A Swiffer leaves you with a clean floor, and if you use old fuzzy socks instead of disposable wet wipes, it's a nice product. 

The egg thing serves no purpose at all. 

~otter~

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
Sigh... My brother-in-law bought one of these.

This is embarrassing...

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2015, 07:54:48 AM »
Those egg things are for someone looking for something to buy when they've already bought all the things they want, yet still want to buy something just to get that shopping high. And some people buy it because they think it'll be funny. So they're just buying it so someone else will see it in their house and make a comment about it. I have a feeling most of them are being bought as a gift for some one else.

Merry Christmas! Here's some junk you don't want! <3

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2015, 08:03:40 AM »
I'm trying really, really hard to come up with a situation where this might not be a dumb purchase.

The only one I can come up with is if you shop for a friend with dementia. But then they'd forget they had eggs and never eat them anyways.

Maybe its transferable tech? Can you use it as a pill minder? 14 slots is two weeks. Hide the pills inside of eggs?

AHA! I got it - Kinder eggs. You can put the kids' Easter candy in it and find out if they are eating it after school when they are supposed to be having nutritious snacks.

Money Mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »
If in doubt, I buy the eggs. If it turns out I didn't need them...well I guess we're having quiche for dinner this week.

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2015, 08:18:02 AM »
Reminds of this article I read earlier today.
http://www.eater.com/2015/9/15/9326775/the-kitchen-of-the-future-has-failed-us

Basically many of the futurist kitchen inventions are useless and end up causing people more work. I want kitchen stuff that is self cleaning, not useless items that could connect to a smart phone (I don't own one). This wouldn't cut down on any work. I can check the my supplies faster than I can monitor gadgets attached to all of them!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »
Those egg things are for someone looking for something to buy when they've already bought all the things they want, yet still want to buy something just to get that shopping high.
I believe that.
Basically many of the futurist kitchen inventions are useless and end up causing people more work. I want kitchen stuff that is self cleaning, not useless items that could connect to a smart phone (I don't own one). This wouldn't cut down on any work. I can check the my supplies faster than I can monitor gadgets attached to all of them!
I agree with that too. 

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »
Basically many of the futurist kitchen inventions are useless and end up causing people more work.

Except for the magic cupboard where you put in dirty dishes and they come out clean - and we still argue about who didn't empty it.

Or the magic box that makes clothes clean while we sleep, or the magic box that keeps milk fresh for a week.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »
Basically many of the futurist kitchen inventions are useless and end up causing people more work.

Except for the magic cupboard where you put in dirty dishes and they come out clean - and we still argue about who didn't empty it.

Or the magic box that makes clothes clean while we sleep, or the magic box that keeps milk fresh for a week.

The fridge was invented in 1834, the dishwasher in 1886, the washing machine in 1851.  It's telling that you couldn't name something from even the last century.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 05:53:53 PM »
The fridge was invented in 1834, the dishwasher in 1886, the washing machine in 1851.  It's telling that you couldn't name something from even the last century.
But were practical in the home from the 50s/60s

You wouldn't count Babbage's Analytical engine as the first "home computer"

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 06:46:26 PM »
After reading the reviews, apparently it doesn't work that well and runs down batteries rather quickly. So your expensive egg reports will be inaccurate and you now need to remember to buy batteries more often as well.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »
After reading the reviews, apparently it doesn't work that well and runs down batteries rather quickly. So your expensive egg reports will be inaccurate and you now need to remember to buy batteries more often as well.
Not a problem with the new smartphone linked, internet enabled, wirelessly bluetoothed -  batteryminder

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 10:30:46 PM »
Not a problem with the new smartphone linked, internet enabled, wirelessly bluetoothed -  batteryminder
I hope it's at least solar powered, so you don't end up in an infinite loop of battery monitors.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »

I wouldn't.  But I wouldn't call something mass produced and common in homes for 60 odd years 'futurist' either.  The biggest recent push (say the last 20 years) in kitchen appliances does seem to be largely useless stuff.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2015, 07:41:32 AM »

I'm a big fan of my microwave.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »

I'm a big fan of my microwave.

Me too!

. . . but again, sold in the 40's and pretty common in the late 60s.  These are ancient devices, not modern ones.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »
I hope it's at least solar powered, so you don't end up in an infinite loop of battery monitors.

It runs on eggs.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »
True Mustachians know eggs need not be kept in the fridge. Tsk tsk.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2015, 10:32:28 AM »
Ideally they are kept in the chicken

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »

I wouldn't.  But I wouldn't call something mass produced and common in homes for 60 odd years 'futurist' either.  The biggest recent push (say the last 20 years) in kitchen appliances does seem to be largely useless stuff.

I like this challenge. Struggling to come up with anything useful, new on the appliance front though. Anyone?

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
Ideally they are kept in the chicken

How do you get the chicken to stop squirming while uncartoning and, subsequentially "repacking" your fresh bought eggs?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »

I like this challenge. Struggling to come up with anything useful, new on the appliance front though. Anyone?

For our kitchen anyways, its the tablet/cell phone and stand. Replaced a whole rack of books and frees up counter space.