Author Topic: A 200 dollar thermos exists (and people buy it)  (Read 4564 times)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
A 200 dollar thermos exists (and people buy it)
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:21:08 PM »
I was just at Starbucks today (I know, I know, but I was meeting friends) and saw a travel coffee thermos for sale. It can be programmed with time and temperature so you always have the perfect cup of coffee. It costs $199 plus tax. A barista saw me looking at it and said "it's pretty pricy, but people are buying it".
Girl behind me in line said "it better come with free coffee for life". (spoiler alert, it doesn't)
What. The. Fuck.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
Re: A 200 dollar thermos exists (and people buy it)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 04:25:28 AM »
My husband suggested buying that for me for Christmas. It did sound pretty awesome. Then I went to the website and saw the price - nope!

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 05:39:44 AM »
How did my dad make it to 85 without this?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
I don't know if it's just me, but on the rare occasion I visit any of the 3 *$ locations close to my house, they're displaying more stuff like ceramic and travel mugs and mints, etc. I've seen one sell totes, umbrellas, and t-shirts. There's so much crammed around the store in display boxes that it's hard to form a queue or walk around without bumping into stuff. Most can't even brew a proper coffee without that flavored syrup crap. At one location, the assistant manager confided she's mystified by corporate policies to sell non-beverage products but she's there just to get paid and get the free tuition. I think she's a secret Mustachian.
Anyone else notice anything similar?
/rant

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »
YOU CAN ALSO GET A 24K GOLD RING LID FOR YOUR MUG.
For another 100 bucks.
I'm done
https://ember.com/products/gold-halo-lid

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:38:36 PM »
I'd be stunned if my BIL doesn't have one of these already. He owns a Yeti in every size.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 07:11:48 PM »
I pretty much lost hope for our society when I learned that there was a successful business that sold grilled cheese sandwiches over the internet. We have reached peak wastefulness and laziness.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:50:17 AM »
One of my coworkers accidentally (I guess she didn't notice how much it was when they rung it up?) bought a $40 water thermos at Starbucks. I thought that was ridiculous, but this is another level of silliness.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
YOU CAN ALSO GET A 24K GOLD RING LID FOR YOUR MUG.
For another 100 bucks.
I'm done
https://ember.com/products/gold-halo-lid

The best part about the "halo lids" is that they essentially turn your travel mug into a... non-travel mug. For an additional $100.

The web site is hilarious - the travel mug has a "360-degree drinking experience".

And it has a smartphone app!

You can name your mug!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »
This thread reminded me of an ex-co-worker who had one or two new water bottles every week. Every week was a different one. She sat 2 desks away, direct line of sight.

Me: Hey! You have some nice water bottles, I noticed that you have a different one every week, sometimes I see two or 3 on your desk. Are they running away from you? Or is someone here "borrowing" them?
Her: Oh no! I love buying these from CVS/Walgreens/etc. I love the designs, they cost only $10-15 each.
Me: Hope you use coupons. (I know she's a coupon clipper.)
Her: Oh these are never on sale or no coupons. But they're cheap. And these are mine. My husband has his, you know he needs bigger ones for his delivery job.
Me: So like $100 a month on bottles?
Her: Yeah. It's worth it. It's my only vice.

Meanwhile, I'd get tons of shit for my 8 year old daily use Nalgene "Made In America" "BPA free" 1L bottle that's been to Machu Picchu, East Africa, UK, Yosemite, King's Canyon, Sequoia, Adirondacks, beaches, picnics, gotten the shit beaten and still going strong, if the cap wears out the company mails you a free replacement. And I bought it used at Eastern Mountain Sports. One guy called it a hospital piss bottle. I told them my oldie fits in with my 11 year old Honda Accord.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 10:57:50 AM »

He might have survived . . . but was he really living???

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »

He drank coffee that was either to hot or to cold...I never realized how much he sacrficed for me!

Ms Ida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »

He drank coffee that was either to hot or to cold...I never realized how much he sacrficed for me!

Sometimes it might even have been lukewarm...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 01:37:30 PM »
I don't know if it's just me, but on the rare occasion I visit any of the 3 *$ locations close to my house, they're displaying more stuff like ceramic and travel mugs and mints, etc. I've seen one sell totes, umbrellas, and t-shirts. There's so much crammed around the store in display boxes that it's hard to form a queue or walk around without bumping into stuff. Most can't even brew a proper coffee without that flavored syrup crap. At one location, the assistant manager confided she's mystified by corporate policies to sell non-beverage products but she's there just to get paid and get the free tuition. I think she's a secret Mustachian.
Anyone else notice anything similar?
/rant

It could be a subtle form of advertising. The more people see the $tarbucks logo, the more likely they are to think that buying, having, using, and perhaps even drinking $tarbucks products is normal. I kind of have to admire the way the brand has survived two significant recessions by changing its image from an elite, trendy hipster treat to something ordinary people consume daily. The only way to do that is to get $tarbucks products into people's hands, especially if the people in question are teens with disposable income.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 02:01:45 PM »
Oh joy, yet another device to charge. Does it put the world's information in the palm of my hand, or pinpoint my location on a map in real time? Nope, for $200 it keeps coffee a precise 135F for up to two hours. But it does pair with a phone (or smartwatch), important for projecting the image of a fastidious douchebag, so has that going for it I guess. Also listed by Time as one of the top 25 inventions of 2017 (http://time.com/5023212/best-inventions-of-2017/).

WTF indeed.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »
Oh joy, yet another device to charge. Does it put the world's information in the palm of my hand, or pinpoint my location on a map in real time? Nope, for $200 it keeps coffee a precise 135F for up to two hours. But it does pair with a phone (or smartwatch), important for projecting the image of a fastidious douchebag, so has that going for it I guess. Also listed by Time as one of the top 25 inventions of 2017 (http://time.com/5023212/best-inventions-of-2017/).

WTF indeed.

$899 for a Jibo robot that doesn't do much of anything. Amazing.

Whatever happened to those $5 mug warmer plates?  Are those not hip?

Can't pair those with a smartphone.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 05:00:30 PM »

Sometimes it might even have been lukewarm...

And that's why they are called "the Greatest Generation".

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!