Author Topic: a $60 ice cube maker?  (Read 6134 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
a $60 ice cube maker?
« on: December 01, 2014, 03:46:22 PM »
For the low, low price of $60, you get ... an ice cube mold (for making one single XL ice-cube), a chisel, a bag, and stick.  Pay $20 more and you get a second ice-cube mold.

i'm almost embarrassed to admit that someone I know is asking for this for xmas.

http://www.studioneat.com/products/neaticekit

Spudd

• Stubble
Re: a $60 ice cube maker?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »
Wow, artisanal ice. What will they think of next?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 05:42:42 AM »
My grandma used to do the same thing with a used/clean carton of milk and a big wooden pestle. Man if she only knew she could had patented that idea back in the 60's...
oh man, that's perfect!  I'm going to try that.  When I first saw this I thought "what can I used to make a 'big-ass ice cube' but spend less than $2."

I particularly like the line in the video about how they designed the insulated mold so it would freeze from the top-down.... has anyone ever seen an ice cube freeze any other way??  I think what they meant was "freeze slowly".  I've got some R10 insulating foam leftover, and I already have towels and chisels.  Now all I need to do is drive to the megamall to buy a stick.  Hmm.. what retailer do you think sells sticks?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »
Why is having slightly cloudy ice a problem?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »
it's not as sexy, i guess.  same reason why using a $16 designer glass is preferable to an 89¢ mason jar.  meh.  I just recently realized how far down the rabbit hole one can go when it comes to fancy drinks at hipster places: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/the-absurdity-of-%27craft-cocktail%27-tipping-expectations/  Top-shelf liquor, designer glasses and now 'fancy ice' are a few ways that an at-home cocktail can cost more than a meal for four people.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »
OMG this is hilarious. "Clear ice, full hearts." Bahahahaha... empty wallets?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:01:36 AM »
well don't forget the 'simple syrup kit' for $25.  It's a glass bottle, and a funnel, and a marker, and... well... um.. that's it.  I have a funnel, I'm constantly recycling glass bottles, and a china-marker works just as well on a glass bottle if you really need to know how many months ago you made that syrup sitting in the fridge with 15¢ worth of ingredients.

http://www.studioneat.com/products/simplesyrupkit

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »
Some people really get in to cocktails.

Truth be told, thingies that make big clear bricks of ice aren't intended for your average joe; they're for a cocktail bar that is trying to impress its clientele. You ever see that video where a guy takes a block and chisels a perfect sphere out of it? Super cool. Would I pay for the ice cube maker? Hell no. Would I be impressed if a bartender did that? I sure would.

(The video ended with him making an awesome cocktail... and using smirnoff. What a waste.)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »

Truth be told, thingies that make big clear bricks of ice aren't intended for your average joe; they're for a cocktail bar that is trying to impress its clientele. You ever see that video where a guy takes a block and chisels a perfect sphere out of it? Super cool. Would I pay for the ice cube maker? Hell no. Would I be impressed if a bartender did that? I sure would.

(The video ended with him making an awesome cocktail... and using smirnoff. What a waste.)
My original point wasn't so much about cocktails or making large bricks of clear ice as it was about paying effing $60 just to make one 'big-ass ice cube' - especially since the parts can't total more than $5. A silicone mold, a stick and a chisel.  Or as craiglepaige pointed out, you can do this with used milk cartons for a cost of $0. Thinking of trying this when I get home.

looked for that video of a guy making a ice sphere from a block of ice (there are a few) - first thought was "cool", second though "ew, now my drink has palm-sweat in it", third thought "it took an extra 3:45 just to carve the ice for my drink, that's got to slow things down...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »
Wow.  Just, wow.

Clear ice - boil it to get all the dissolved air out, put it in container, exclude air, freeze.
round ice - as above, but use two identical semi-round bowls (mixing bowls come to mind), freeze, unmold, put together with a bit of water in between, refreeze, voila!

I haven't done either because I don't care, but they should work.

I like the molds for putting candles in for outdoor winter activities, but will never buy one. (http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=52307&cat=4,104,53208,52307
But I found do-it-yourself work-arounds.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-candle-lit-ice-lantern/
http://www.cs.uwec.edu/~wagnerpj/misc/IceCandleInstructions.htm

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »

Right, but this somehow strikes me as being targeted at at-home wanna-be artisanal bartenders than actual professionals at a bar. Could be wrong though.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 08:13:16 PM »
Clear ice - boil it to get all the dissolved air out, put it in container, exclude air, freeze.
round ice - as above, but use two identical semi-round bowls (mixing bowls come to mind), freeze, unmold, put together with a bit of water in between, refreeze, voila!
Yes, boiling the water works.  It really does give you crystal clear ice cubes without the white middles.

I once made INCREDIBLE center pieces for the tables at a dance:

- I boiled the water and then used them in the type of bowls you recommend:  The upshot was that I had thick ice bowls with "holes" in the middle. 
- When the water was kind of half-frozen, I filled the ice with holly leaves and berries picked from my yard (I should note it was a Christmas dance).  If you're doing something similar, you could use colored marbles, sliced fruit, or whatever else fits your theme -- but let the ice freeze a bit so you'll end up with your items "suspended" in the ice -- you don't want them all on the top or the bottom of your centerpiece.
- I popped tea lights into the center of the glass bowls, and the effect was MAGIC.

The only problem:  The centerpieces melted.  I kept them in the freezer 'til the very last minute, and I set them on baby diapers (carefully trimmed to hide them under more holly leaves).  Still, by the end of the dance, we had puddles. 

Still, I highly recommend this as a very inexpensive, eye-catching centerpiece. 

If you want to do it, one piece of advice:  Start early. I used Tupperware type bowls, but I only had enough bowls to freeze two at a time, so I needed a full week to complete the project. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:16:18 PM by MrsPete »

Charm14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 08:38:54 PM »

I read this as a reference to "Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose", the motto from the tv show Friday Night Lights. Not sure why'd they'd reference that though....

xenon5

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
From the title I was expecting this to be an automated ice machine, and thought that maybe in special circumstances if you consume a ton of ice for whatever reason it could pay off.  But no, not only is it $60, you also have to chop the ice yourself!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 05:24:50 AM »
From the title I was expecting this to be an automated ice machine, and thought that maybe in special circumstances if you consume a ton of ice for whatever reason it could pay off.  But no, not only is it $60, you also have to chop the ice yourself!
yup, you got it.  It's a kit for making 'an ice-cube' for $60.  Yeah, I could have come up with a slightly better subject title.  meh.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »

Gross man.  Let me guess, you use tap water too?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »

curious - are you seriously grossed out by having less-than-crystal-clear ice made from municipal tap water?  I mean, it might impart some flavors to your drinks, but really?  Seems a very first-world problem.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 04:07:20 PM »
No, he's being funny.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »

Haha! Me too! I actually clicked on this post expecting to defend the $60 ice maker. (I grew up in a home without potable water, so having the luxury of an automatic ice maker in my freezer is one I gladly pay for!) But seriously, $60 to freeze one large-azz ice cube? Yikes!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 07:20:01 AM »

curious - are you seriously grossed out by having less-than-crystal-clear ice made from municipal tap water?  I mean, it might impart some flavors to your drinks, but really?  Seems a very first-world problem.

No, he's being funny.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »

I came here to make a similar snarky comment, but tip my hat to you instead.