Author Topic: 9 Must have symbols that say "I'm Rich" - (and stupid)  (Read 9614 times)

4_shore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
Re: 9 Must have symbols that say "I'm Rich" - (and stupid)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »
Sme of those seem pretty nuts. I doubt I would ever spend $18K a night on anything. On the other hand, I did buy a $700 stroller (on sale for $500) and it's not as crazy as you think. I use my stroller more than my car. It came with a bassinet attachment so we could go for walks before our son could sit up and it's is expandable to two kids if we ever did have more. It has big wheels so it's all season and a cargo basket so it's a shopping cart. The seat is reversible so it's a highchair if we need it to be when out and it tips back so he can sleep in it if he's tired. It is easy to steer with one hand and provides a smooth ride for the kiddo. It will last him until he is five, but I imagine he will stop using it before then. The resale on high end strollers is pretty good too.

I tend to agree with the rest of the list though! I don't understand a $30K watch or handbag either.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
This reminds me of a quote.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid." -Jack Handey

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
This reminds me of a quote.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid." -Jack Handey

Heh, an amusing quote.  But not too interesting.  It becomes interesting when you ask if you'd rather have both, or neither.

He does have some great Deep Thoughts, one of my favorite writer-comedians (Dave Barry being another).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
Heh, an amusing quote.  But not too interesting.  It becomes interesting when you ask if you'd rather have both, or neither.

I was going for amusing, but it's also insightful. I think that rich and stupid is the exception, and poor and intelligent is a matter of values. The choice between those two is hypothetical, whereas people could certainly be better off if they would learn to make better financial decisions. It's the essence of Mustachianism -- stop doing stupid things, and you can be rich, rich in money and time, which leads to freedom.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »
I like how you put that. I hadn't considered it that way.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Sauce

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 04:59:27 PM »
i travel a bit for work and i noticed a few people have Louis Vuitton luggage. MATCHING pieces too.
that's gotta fall under the category

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:16 AM »
Nice cars and nice tech would be the two areas my budget would increase if I ever reached a point where I thought spending thousands more was justified (I doubt I'll ever reach that point). The article describes an average of 47-62k. That's a range that includes some souped up Minivans and SUVs, but most of the really sexy cars cost more than that.

As for the stroller, previous comments notwithstanding I find that ridiculous. We got a $200 stroller for free, given to us by people who paid $30 at a garage sale. It didn't quite have all the bells and whistles that lilacorchid's did, but it was already more than enough. It came with an attached child carrier that also served as a car seat, and those coveted all-terrain wheels. The handle was reversible, so it could be rear-facing or front-facing. I don't think I ever used it in rear-facing mode, or removed the child-carrier from the car to attach to the stroller. We just strapped him into the stroller and went (toss a neck supporter in with your stroller, and it doesn't matter if the kid can sit up). After 3 months, we decided it was too bulky, gave it away, and switched to a simple front-facing, collapsible stroller, also obtained for free. It did everything we needed it to for almost 3 years, and we gave it away once he was good about walking on his own (used to try to escape pretty regularly). If we have another child, I assume we'll find more or less the same unit for less than $5, and be set for another 3 years.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
I think my stroller is a good example of one person's WTF being another's moustache fertiliser.

I did try to find one used, but no dice. I intend to sell it once I'm done and should get a pretty good price for it. It was a good choice for our family which is why we bought it. It was a planned, well thought out purchase designed to fit in to our lifestyle and gets near daily use.

dancedancekj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »
i travel a bit for work and i noticed a few people have Louis Vuitton luggage. MATCHING pieces too.

Designer bags in general. I've never really understood designer purses/man-bags myself... who exactly are these people trying to impress?

Guitarist

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »

Designer bags in general. I've never really understood designer purses/man-bags myself... who exactly are these people trying to impress?

Nothing like spending all your money on a bag that... holds your money.

dougP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »
That's why it doesn't need to be a very large bag :).