Author Topic: 8 Reasons Spending 1000 on a purse is okay  (Read 31839 times)

jprince7827

• Stubble

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 8 Reasons Spending 1000 on a purse is okay
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
They should have stopped at "because it's your money and you want to."

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:46:34 AM »
From the comments:

"I think people ask the price because they are amazed at the bravery we have to buy expensive bags. And because they would love to have the money to do the same."

Bravery. That is just stupifying.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
One of my cousins is obsessed with a particular brand of higher-end purses... I made the mistake one Christmas of saying "I really like those, they're an easy warning signal that a girl is high-maintenance." Fun little argument popped up after that one.

Always made more sense to me to own a $20 wallet with $1000 inside it, than a $1000 wallet with only $20 inside ...but I suppose that explains why I'm on this forum and my cousin isn't.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
All of those bags in the pictures were disgusting looking, but sure if you have the money go ahead and buy it but when one of the comments reads like this:

i pay my bills, my car, my daughter's school fees, provide allowances for my parents so i think i deserve a nice bag once in awhile.

Then I'm questioning whether they can actually afford it if they are having to make car payments.

Lastly, luxury shopping is not a "hobby." Fixing up your motorcycle is a hobby, wine tasting is a hobby, golfing is a hobby, but buying fancy watches, jewelry, gadgets, or purses are not hobbies in mine (and most other's) books

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 10:03:18 AM »
Good god, I almost choked on my own saliva. And then my 26-year-old cartier-watch-wearing Mercedes-driving colleague walked by and I remembered that I'm not a «typical» woman. My Marshall's purse is holding up just fine after 10 years thank you very much.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
Two stood out to me:

3. BECAUSE OWNING LUXURY GOODS IMPROVES YOUR MOOD.

Now that's just sad.

6. BECAUSE BAG PRICES HAVE RISEN SO MUCH IN RECENT YEARS THAT IT CAN BE HARD TO STAY UNDER FOUR DIGITS SOMETIMES.

Don't blame me. It's inflation!

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:09:12 AM »
I'm trying to imagine the feature set that would make a purse worth $1000.

It would have to be armoured, for sure, intended for use in high crime/collapsed society areas.
It would need a satellite based alarm system for when you got in trouble so you could call for help.
It should probably be able to purify water and contain a host of electrical gadgets related to temperature, GPS location, humidity and tactical support for contacting your fellow post-zombie-apocalypse survivors.

Also it should have a Taser embedded in it so that it gives you a light but painful buzz whenever you try to buy a $1000 purse because all of those features are dumb.

Toque.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »
I kinda like that furry Fendi bag, but the $2600 looks better in my portfolio than on my shoulder so I'll pass.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »

It would have to be armoured, for sure, intended for use in high crime/collapsed society areas.
It would need a satellite based alarm system for when you got in trouble so you could call for help.
It should probably be able to purify water and contain a host of electrical gadgets related to temperature, GPS location, humidity and tactical support for contacting your fellow post-zombie-apocalypse survivors.

Also it should have a Taser embedded in it so that it gives you a light but painful buzz whenever you try to buy a $1000 purse because all of those features are dumb.

Toque.

Or just made by Cambodian children in sweat shops with some random ass letters pasted on it that correspond to some designer.  And it obviously looks good because that designer is also the person who has decided for you what looks good.

They brag about how long lasting these expensive bags are but chances are they'll all be put in a closet by this time next year because they'll no longer be "in style."

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 10:40:56 AM »
I like that she wrote:

"Wearing or carrying something that looks expensive (in a good way) telegraphs a lot of things to people: that you have your act together, that you have good taste, that you're successful, that you care about quality"

Right above a tacky leopard print, studded, calf hair bag!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 10:44:33 AM »
"I really like those, they're an easy warning signal that a girl is high-maintenance."

That's excellent.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »

Toque.

Or just made by Cambodian children in sweat shops with some random ass letters pasted on it that correspond to some designer.  And it obviously looks good because that designer is also the person who has decided for you what looks good.

They brag about how long lasting these expensive bags are but chances are they'll all be put in a closet by this time next year because they'll no longer be "in style."

A lot of the high end couture stuff is made in workshops in Italy and France by people who make this kind of stuff for a career. Not my thing, but it's not all Cambodian children.

I buy Scottish cashmere from a very old mill, from a company that has said they will close their company before they move production out of Scotland. I mostly buy it because it's as similar to the cashmere in the mall as chalk is to cheese, but I'm enough of a sentimentalist that I think it's nice I'm supporting millworkers whose families have worked there for a century or more.

I used to work for a very high end cabinetry shop, and it was really extraordinary, the stuff we could produce when cost was no object. I like that there are rich people out there who will subsidize the preservation of useless but beautiful art forms.

I've got nothing against buying high quality stuff (personally I've looked into purchasing a bespoke board gaming table from Geek Chic), but by and large the people buying these purses are going to be looking at the name on the label and not considering where that company sources their labor from.  There are definitely people like you who do look at these things, but they are the exception not the rule.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
I like this one:

...because it is better to have a $3,000 bag that you wear practically every day for years than a $500 bag that you use a few times and then takes up space in your closet. I find that the cost-per-use is vastly lower for my more expensive bags.

I am pretty sure my (fairly expensive at the time) Timbuk2 tote bag is down to under a quarter a wear, and it shows no sign of quitting. You'd have to carry a $3000 bag 12,000 times to reach that point, or every day for over 33 years.

Well, she put the $500 bag in the closet because her friends starting making fun of her for only wearing a 3 digit bag.

But seriously, $500 for a bag is a "cheap bag?"  What's better than a $3000 bag you wear every day for years is a $30 bag you wear every day until it falls apart and then you buy a new one.  And you don't worry about having a cheap bag because you're sitting on your couch eating bonbons while they're slaving away behind a desk somewhere.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »

Lastly, luxury shopping is not a "hobby." Fixing up your motorcycle is a hobby, wine tasting is a hobby, golfing is a hobby, but buying fancy watches, jewelry, gadgets, or purses are not hobbies in mine (and most other's) books

Collecting has long been thought of as a hobby.  Whose to decide which collections are worthwhile?
Is having expensive bags really any different than binders and binders of stamps?

I know women who display their bags as if they were art.

Now, I personally think they are crazy; but I don't see it as any less valid than say, a collection of dolls. Doll collecting is a hobby.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »
All of those bags in the pictures were disgusting looking, but sure if you have the money go ahead and buy it but when one of the comments reads like this:

i pay my bills, my car, my daughter's school fees, provide allowances for my parents so i think i deserve a nice bag once in awhile.

Then I'm questioning whether they can actually afford it if they are having to make car payments.
There's no shortage of people who can technically afford both their car payment and a $1000 purse. The $1000 purse is a dumbass move regardless of income or wealth. Its idiocy transcends all that.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »

Collecting has long been thought of as a hobby.  Whose to decide which collections are worthwhile?
Is having expensive bags really any different than binders and binders of stamps?

I know women who display their bags as if they were art.

Now, I personally think they are crazy; but I don't see it as any less valid than say, a collection of dolls. Doll collecting is a hobby.

If they are actually collecting them and displaying them as art, and caring for them properly, then sure.  But if they're shoving them in the bottom of their closet when they are out of style, then they aren't collecting them.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »
5. BECAUSE THERE IS VALUE IN WHAT BEING WELL-DRESSED SIGNALS TO OTHER PEOPLE.

Followed by a picture of some trashy-looking shit I would expect a stripper to carry, for $3995. ZOMG

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »
There is a fantastic quote in here if you take it completely out of context:

"Don't let other people's opinions of how much things should cost make you feel guilty - they likely have no idea what they're talking about."

I'm immediately applying this sentance to my pursuit of not buying shit.  And will continue to carry my fabulous goodwill purse until the damn handles fall off.

Is it just me or does #6 look like a bowling ball bag?

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:04 AM »

The real old money types I know carry bags like this:

http://lotuffleather.com/collections/handbags/products/leather-angle-tote-1

Unbranded, very good leather, very expensive. Often handed down from mummy/granny, etc.

Or they carry the rattiest LL Bean boat totes known to man.

For men, the most rugged leather bags/briefcases I've come across are from Saddleback.  Expensive, but ridiculously overbuilt - one of those things that will probably out last you:

And:

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
Yesh, and I thought my $150 purse was expensive.  I had a $20 knockoff purse bought on the streets of New York that started poking things out that was ruining a shirt or two of mine.  My husband pointed out this was foolish (pennywise, poundfoolish) and bought me a $150 non-knockoff purse.  Over 5.5 years later that's 7 cents a day.

About 2 years ago I asked them to fix the handle they told me they couldn't and gave me a letter to get 40% off a purse.  It's now wearing thin in many places so I have to start looking.  (I like small, discrete black purses, which are amazingly much harder to find than you expect.)  DH said next time we're buying multiples so I don't spend 2 years looking for one like I did the last time (and this time).

Stopped reading the comments, they make me throw up a bit.  Someone else please post the comment re $1000 in $20 purse over $20 in a $1000 purse and I'll like it.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
A lot of the really expensive designer bags I find kind of trashy. I am from a cultural background where your expensive stuff shouldn't scream LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY I SPENT ON THIS. Among my expensive things, none of it looks costly, and unless you touched it or saw the label inside the garment, you wouldn't know.

Not the cultural background I grew up in, but completely agree! One of my (constantly broke) friends always raves about how badly he wants a big flashy Rolex when he "makes it rich." One time I tried to show him a Patek Philippe online, and he got this look of disgust - "If I'm going to spend that much money on a watch, I want people to damn well know I spent that much money on it. Why would you ever pay that much for something so plain?"

If an average schmuck who knows nothing about X's can take one look at your particular X and know you spent a small fortune on it - In 90% of situations, you bought the wrong X.

I like the Saddleback bags, they just look wicked heavy. Probably part of why they are marketed to men, anyway.

You just found the only still-in-production item that I actually lust after... I can't justify spending that much on a briefcase, though! Maybe when I'm making triple my current salary?

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »
But seriously, $500 for a bag is a "cheap bag?"  What's better than a $3000 bag you wear every day for years is a $30 bag you wear every day until it falls apart and then you buy a new one.  And you don't worry about having a cheap bag because you're sitting on your couch eating bonbons while they're slaving away behind a desk somewhere.

If we apply the "4% rule," you might be able to invest $3000 and use the returns to buy a new $30 bag four times a year forever! (But I'd rather see them worn out too.)

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 12:45:44 PM »
The only purchase I've made like this was a pair of Allen Edmunds shoes the go for $500ish and I got for like two hundred something (I still thought it was nuts). 

I treat them like a baby and get compliments everyday I wear them but I still feel guilty.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 12:50:41 PM »
A lot of the really expensive designer bags I find kind of trashy. I am from a cultural background where your expensive stuff shouldn't scream LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY I SPENT ON THIS. Among my expensive things, none of it looks costly, and unless you touched it or saw the label inside the garment, you wouldn't know.

I have a friend who gladly will pay much extra for stuff without a visible logo.  I sort of follow his logic and agree.  :)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »
I have some friends that LOVE expensive handbags. I was flabbergasted when I found out recently that they were in the 4-digit range. I thought anything in the 3-digit range was super-pricey.

Oh well they do love their bags (and lots of them!). When one greets the other they look at their bags and make a comment. Meanwhile, I greet them, look them in the eye and don't even notice what kind of purse or shoes they are wearing.

I just don't get it.  We live in a car-centric city. So the purse usually goes on when I go from home to car, gets set down in car while I drive, then on when getting out of car and into work (or wherever), then gets put away in a cabinet for the whole day. Maybe if one lived in NYC or somewhere where you walk around all day (with your purse on possibly?) would this even begin to make any sense at all...and even then, no.

Not that I understand super expensive shoes either, but I'd much rather splurge on shoes or clothes that are on me than on a purse. They actually get used and seen much more.

Oh well, I guess I am weird.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »
Reason #9:  Because my wife "approved" of me going off on a 5 day, 2 game college bowl trip over New Years with my "bad boy" childhood friend who my wife can't stand, when a historic snowstorm blew in dumping 18inches of snow on my home driveway...and I had not "concluded negotiations" with the snow plow service which I didn't realize until I was standing at a Florida payphone in flip flops when I checked in to see how things were back home.
A few weeks later, when I saw a new purse in her closet I started to yell "Where did this new purse come from?"  when my inner child smacked me upside my head and said "...this is the purse whose purchase shall never be discussed again.

Not very mustachian I know except that we both got what we wanted...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 01:08:01 PM by Capsu78 »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »
Things like this make me somewhat glad that I'm single.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 01:17:24 PM »
I saw someone wearing a bag yesterday that I legitimately could not figure out if it was a real designer bag or some kind of satire pointing out the absurdity of designer bags. It was just a plain looking tote bag that read, in plain font:

Jacobs by Marc Jacobs
for Marc by Marc Jacobs
in collaboration with Marc Jacobs
for Marc by Marc Jacobs.

So bizarre.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
I saw someone wearing a bag yesterday that I legitimately could not figure out if it was a real designer bag or some kind of satire pointing out the absurdity of designer bags. It was just a plain looking tote bag that read, in plain font:

Jacobs by Marc Jacobs
for Marc by Marc Jacobs
in collaboration with Marc Jacobs
for Marc by Marc Jacobs.

So bizarre.

Actual designer bag, but if it's the tote, it is cheap. (Well, except that it is a tote.)
http://www.sechic.com/bags/jacobs-marc-jacobs-tote

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »
I have never spent more than $20 on a purse in my life. All clearance and usually from Target, and I prefer smaller black bags with a shoulder strap. I got funky once with a brown suede one that only lasted 6 or 7 years, so I'll never do that again. (I kid)

I have never understood the draw of buying a purse that costs hundreds - let alone thousands - of dollars. It gets dirty, it carries all manner of junk and things spill inside it, you scuff it up, leave it on tables and in floors and hanging on the backs of chairs, and if it was expensive, then you stand the chance of getting mugged (since I would think thieves would steal the fancy ones just to try to sell them and anything inside is a bonus).

And most designer purses are UGLY. Logos and signature patterns and stupid charms hanging off them? WHYYYYY? It is so stupid looking, and it's like paying someone to advertise their crap for them.

I used to work with two women that were in debt up to their eyeballs and still bought lots and lots of purses. Even bought the knockoffs when they went on trips up to New York. And one of them was making 6 figures, but due to her shopping habits, she had to sell her house, and also borrowed money from her 401k at least once a year for "hardship" since she couldn't figure out how to live on her salary (and we live in a LCOL area). But she always had designer shoes and handbags! Another coworker that used to babysit for her occasionally (until she stiffed her on a weekend babysit fee) said that her house was crazy - shoes and handbags and clothes stuffed in her closet, across the master bedroom floor and on every available surface... but there was usually no food in the house and they had no real dishes or silverware - just paper plates and take out utensils.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 03:04:08 PM »
Other than the fancy and quite conspicuous labels, these pretty much all look like you could get them from zipping around some combination of Target, Ross Dress for Less, and Versona. Not impressive. It's hilarious that the people commenting on that article think their bags are impressive and important.

Grandma always said that if losing a silver spoon down the garbage disposal bothers you at all, then you can't afford to be eating with silver spoons. I'll follow up by saying that if someone needs to tell you that the amount you are spending on something "is okay," then you can't afford it.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »
This boggles my mind. I can't imagine the thought process that goes into spending so much money on something that has so little actual value.

Things like this make me somewhat glad that I'm single.
Well to be fair, I don't think women that spend (or want to spend) 4 figures on purses/bags are representative of most women in general. As one poster alluded to above, this would be a big red flag. I'm trying to think about all the women I know and most of them (including my wife) either have normal, practical purses/bags or don't carry one at all. Of course, I wouldn't know a "high end" purse from a K-Mart purse so take that for what it's worth.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 04:12:27 PM »
I will admit that I own two nice handbags. One from my MIL that she gave me when I graduated with my Masters. I have no idea how much it cost, but it's gorgeous and in amazing shape 6 years later. The second is a Coach bag that my husband bought me at an outlet mall for less than $200. I love these bags, but will probably never buy (or receive! I've finally convinced people to stop giving us gifts) an expensive bag again. Partly because I think the ones I have might last a lifetime, and partly because... why would I?

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
I'm trying to imagine biking around town with a $3000 hood ornament attached to my shoulder. My wipe-outs would be really expensive!

Valencia de Valera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 05:04:17 PM »
I just read more about the study linked to under "science says so" on #3. They either lent or gave people a "luxury" pen (whatever that is exactly) to complete a survey, and let them have or just sample "luxury" chocolates. Then asked them about their "satisfaction with life." Apparently having to give the things back decreased their satisfaction with their lives but getting to keep them increased it. Maybe instead of "owning luxury goods" being the thing that makes you happy or unhappy, it's receiving a gift vs having to give it back? Clearly this experiment was designed by team of crack scientists and not someone trying to prop up the $2,000 purse industry.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 08:18:47 PM »
Enjoyed this thread. :) I like purses and have guiltily spent about $100 on one (twice.)

I also tend towards cute, understated black purses.

For the record, the ONLY reason it's okay to spend $1000 on a purse is if you can resell it for at least $950 and will get more than $50-worth of enjoyment from it. 

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 08:22:19 PM »
5. BECAUSE THERE IS VALUE IN WHAT BEING WELL-DRESSED SIGNALS TO OTHER PEOPLE.

Followed by a picture of some trashy-looking shit I would expect a stripper to carry, for $3995. ZOMG

The real old money types I know carry bags like this:

http://lotuffleather.com/collections/handbags/products/leather-angle-tote-1

Unbranded, very good leather, very expensive. Often handed down from mummy/granny, etc.

Or they carry the rattiest LL Bean boat totes known to man.

I agree, old money is casual and unobtrusive.

I like that they'll send you a sample swatch of leather.  That's how you know you're paying a shit ton for that bag.  I'm tempted to request one but don't want to be on their mailing lists. And I'm totally not going to buy one.  $500 feeds a lot of malnourished children.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 07:44:13 AM »
Kinda crazy, but then again I had a moment where I was into "brand" sunglasses.  I still have most of them as I'll never have to buy another pair EVER again.  Not outrageously expensive, most Ray-Bans and Oakley... still at $100-200 a pop, not cheap either.  Yes I have like over 12 pairs or so, so stupid.

My broke ass brother on the other hand bought a $6k watch (Omega) when his networth was about maybe 30k... wrap your head around that!

I still think $1000 on a purse is better than like an oversized Suburban or something ridonkulous... at least it won't continually cost year in and year out.  Not justifying, just saying.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:48:35 AM by sleepyguy »

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 07:55:01 AM »

Toque.

Hahaha I love the Taser idea. Like a shock collar for fashionistas.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 08:05:05 AM »
Oh, my husband would love one of those tables for his Catan game...

A lot of the really expensive designer bags I find kind of trashy. I am from a cultural background where your expensive stuff shouldn't scream LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY I SPENT ON THIS. Among my expensive things, none of it looks costly, and unless you touched it or saw the label inside the garment, you wouldn't know. I have a coworker who announced the other day she was going diamond shopping this weekend (she's from a wealthy family) and it made everyone else uncomfortable. Not everyone is well off, and it's rude to make them uncomfortable if you happen to be so fortunate.

EXACTLY! It always ends up looking cheap (trashy-cheap, not frugal-cheap) when someone tries very hard to look wealthy.

dachs

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 08:12:21 AM »
Antoinette Hunter  ellavanw • 4 months ago
I think people ask the price because they are amazed at the bravery we have to buy expensive bags. And because they would love to have the money to do the same.

Let's face it, they look better, last longer, and we love them.

Thanks for the article!

Lol, wrong.

fb132

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2015, 08:31:08 AM »
My coworker bought 2 600$ purses (one for herself and the other for her mother). of course the husband was pissed at her for purchasing these items without his consent (and rightly so). I told her that he is right to feel upset. She gave me pathetic excuses on why she NEEDED those purses. I can tell you her excuses were just as lame as the link posted here.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2015, 08:34:45 AM »
I love how the article's writer say about themselves "We're nothing if not professional enablers" :-D

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
they needed $600 purses.  I admit I like Coach bags so do my aunt and cousins.  But having said that once I discovered you can get them from a really good thrift shop or consignment store since they seem to last forever why pay full price?

Disclaimer- I do not own a Coach bag I bought two at a thrift store for my little cousin because my youngest cousin took her mom's new Coach clutch and promptly lost it on Metro.  I suggested they buy the child gently used authentic Coach from a good thrift store so she could have designer and if it was lost or stolen not so hard to replace.  I managed to find one for $20 and sent it over.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »
Yesh, and I thought my $150 purse was expensive.  I had a $20 knockoff purse bought on the streets of New York that started poking things out that was ruining a shirt or two of mine.  My husband pointed out this was foolish (pennywise, poundfoolish) and bought me a $150 non-knockoff purse.  Over 5.5 years later that's 7 cents a day.

About 2 years ago I asked them to fix the handle they told me they couldn't and gave me a letter to get 40% off a purse.  It's now wearing thin in many places so I have to start looking.  (I like small, discrete black purses, which are amazingly much harder to find than you expect.)  DH said next time we're buying multiples so I don't spend 2 years looking for one like I did the last time (and this time).

Stopped reading the comments, they make me throw up a bit.  Someone else please post the comment re $1000 in $20 purse over $20 in a $1000 purse and I'll like it.

Is this leather? You may be able to get a cobbler to fix it, but it definitely depends on the specifics. Cobblers/shoe repair people are great at fixing luggage straps and the like as well.

ashwihi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
This post hits too close to home...

Every month or so, my DW tries to convince me she needs a Louis Vitton.  Hell I don't even know if that's spelled right, all I know is that they cost a small fortune.

I don't get it.

dachs

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2015, 12:55:03 PM »
It just reminds me of one thread here with the title "rich people are smart" or so. It was about rich people who own the companies that make expensive yet useless stuff and sell it to "poor" people who want to feel rich too. It really is a great idea!

If those bags really were of superior quality there would be no problem I guess. But its OK quality for a ridiculous price and really the only reason to own one is to show off. Quite childish in my opinion. I mean a carbon fiber bike or a fast care make a lot more sense than that since they really are better at something (and even those things are unnecessary for most people). But those bags are not at all.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:58:02 PM by dachs »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »

I buy Scottish cashmere from a very old mill, from a company that has said they will close their company before they move production out of Scotland. I mostly buy it because it's as similar to the cashmere in the mall as chalk is to cheese, but I'm enough of a sentimentalist that I think it's nice I'm supporting millworkers whose families have worked there for a century or more.

DH's auntie, now deceased, had a small cashmere factory in Scotland. He has items made for his father 40  - 50 years ago, still wearable because they are classic styles. Her customers were wealthy people of conservative taste as well as a few high profile names. She made clothing for generations of families. Also, she made a sweater for the Princess of Wales. Princess Caroline of Monaco came to her house to be measured for a piece of clothing made for her.

Yes, our aunt turned up her nose at the kinds of cashmere found in department stores. I see that stuff drift down to the thrift stores where I shop and I don't even consider it. I'm a cashmere snob--too cheap to buy the real thing, too knowledgeable to put up with the cheap stuff.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »
This post hits too close to home...

Every month or so, my DW tries to convince me she needs a Louis Vitton.  Hell I don't even know if that's spelled right, all I know is that they cost a small fortune.

I don't get it.
Mine gets a $60 Vera Bradley about once a year whether she needs it or not (usually from me).

I am so lucky. I am so lucky. I am so lucky. I am so lucky. I am so lucky. I am so lucky. I am so lucky. I am so lucky.....

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!