Author Topic: 8 Reasons Spending 1000 on a purse is okay  (Read 31840 times)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
Re: 8 Reasons Spending 1000 on a purse is okay
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »

I buy Scottish cashmere from a very old mill, from a company that has said they will close their company before they move production out of Scotland. I mostly buy it because it's as similar to the cashmere in the mall as chalk is to cheese, but I'm enough of a sentimentalist that I think it's nice I'm supporting millworkers whose families have worked there for a century or more.

May I ask you which one? I need something to ask to DH for my birthday...

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »
Yesh, and I thought my $150 purse was expensive.  I had a $20 knockoff purse bought on the streets of New York that started poking things out that was ruining a shirt or two of mine.  My husband pointed out this was foolish (pennywise, poundfoolish) and bought me a $150 non-knockoff purse.  Over 5.5 years later that's 7 cents a day.

About 2 years ago I asked them to fix the handle they told me they couldn't and gave me a letter to get 40% off a purse.  It's now wearing thin in many places so I have to start looking.  (I like small, discrete black purses, which are amazingly much harder to find than you expect.)  DH said next time we're buying multiples so I don't spend 2 years looking for one like I did the last time (and this time).

Stopped reading the comments, they make me throw up a bit.  Someone else please post the comment re $1000 in $20 purse over $20 in a $1000 purse and I'll like it.

Is this leather? You may be able to get a cobbler to fix it, but it definitely depends on the specifics. Cobblers/shoe repair people are great at fixing luggage straps and the like as well.

The strap is leather.  Apparently I was supposed to condition it regularly, but never having had a nice purse before, I didn't know, and they didn't tell DH when he bought it.  I sent it to the company about 2 years ago because they were supposed to be able to replace the strap on bags (but not on this one it seems based on how it was fabricated, can't just remove and place the handle).  Now of course there are missing pieces on the strap edges, so reconditioning boat has long since departed, not to mention the fabric for the rest of the bag is actually wearing through on the bottom corners, sides, two decorative folds/tucks, etc.  I wear it everywhere though (and I take public transit to work, so it's not just on a seat) so maybe not surprising.  Donated the one I bought in Thailand for about $7, and have never used the $50 clutch I was given as a graduation gift.  And that folks, is the sum total of all purses I own or have owned as an adult.  (For many years I had none at all, just sometimes used my cross-stitch bag as one when I didn't use a backpack.)

To whomever posted a link to bags earlier - I'm hoping to find one that is more rectangle (but rounded corners) than square though, but thanks for posting.  Really I just want another of my current bag.  Why do the darn things have to wear out?

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
On some level I can understand this since, for some women, it's important to impress others and give off an "image," however misguided that might be.

What I don't get is dudes who spend big money on a wallet. The damn thing stays in your pocket 97 percent of the time -- 99 percent if you're mustachian.

dachs

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
On some level I can understand this since, for some women, it's important to impress others and give off an "image," however misguided that might be.

What I don't get is dudes who spend big money on a wallet. The damn thing stays in your pocket 97 percent of the time -- 99 percent if you're mustachian.

I've never seen a 1 000$ wallet. But lots of purses for that price.!

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2015, 08:46:39 PM »
Mine gets a $60 Vera Bradley about once a year whether she needs it or not (usually from me).
Damnit!  I'm not even a purse person and you just got me clicking through all the Vera Bradley bags and wristlets!  Granted, I have been wanting a wristlet that fits my phone for a number of months now, but I just did not think it would go in this direction . . .  :-)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2015, 09:15:44 PM »
One of my best purchases was my wallet. It was only $20 but I literally walked to the store 3 times & waited a week before purchasing it. I was a frugal student & didn't really need it at the time but liked it.

I've had it 8y and pulling it out is a great reminder if I ever want to make an impulse buy.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2015, 10:32:47 PM »
Man, and I was spending more than I wanted when I was looking at $35-50 for a purse or bag from Thirty-One Gifts. I can think of so many things I'd rather spend four figures on.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
http://www.purseblog.com/listicles/8-reasons-spending-1000-bag-worth/2

I'm just gonna leave this here.
They kinda cheated a little on the title there, as the first bag in their list is actually 5 figures!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2015, 10:44:06 AM »
I can think of so many things I'd rather spend four figures on.

Me too, like my ER!  ;)

I love the turns this thread has taken. The Brora cashmere mentioned looks great but I can't bring myself to buy clothing I haven't tried on.  I'll remember the plain leather tote if I ever go for an "old money" look.  The Saddleback luggage looks great, but DH still uses the suitcases he inherited from his grandparents!  And this has prompted reflection on the pleasure-response some material goods bring.  Irrational, but the splurge purses I bought years ago still make me happy to think of, look at, touch, and use.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »

Behold the prices at some of these purses. (I did sort from highest price first.)

https://www.1stdibs.com/search/?q=hermes+purse&sort=price-high

How the F can a purse cost half a million dollars?!?!?!?  Does it come with several high quality diamonds in it?  Perhaps $400,000 cash inside?

fb132

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2015, 12:35:58 PM »

Behold the prices at some of these purses. (I did sort from highest price first.)

How the F can a purse cost half a million dollars?!?!?!?  Does it come with several high quality diamonds in it?  Perhaps $400,000 cash inside?
You are going to have to ask a woman to get a good answer, I never understood and never will understand the attraction on purses.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2015, 12:41:52 PM »

You are going to have to ask a woman to get a good answer, I never understood and never will understand the attraction on purses.
Well, I am a woman, and I still have no idea!  I did look closer at the $450k bag, and it does have lots of diamond on it.  I clicked to purchase, and it shows $1,500 for shipping!  Holy crap, a purse that costs more than my house!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »

I think a purse with precious metals and gemstones is really a hybrid - part jewelry.  Spending $450k on it, regardless, is full-on nuts!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2015, 01:13:52 AM »
Normally a manufacturer has a lineup of products in various price ranges - usually at least three but often more.  The lower the price, the more it sells - up to a point.  That way the person buying can identify with the more expensive versions, but still pay a lower price. 

Many times people avoid the cheapest, and go for the second cheapest instead. That way they can also say "I got something which is a bit nicer".

And then we have the zero-volume product.  An over the top product as top of the line.  Something the manufacturer does not really expect to sell, but just the fact that they have it in the lineup gives them publicity and and "awe" from the non-mustachian consumers.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2015, 01:15:18 AM »
Also remember that price is normally set by what you expect you can charge, unrelated to production or raw material cost.  After the pricepoint is set, you come up with the story to why it's worth that much. :)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2015, 10:26:43 AM »
I bought a new bag just yesterday.  It was $18.18 on a clearance table at Belks.  I love it and can't wait to use it.  From the same clearance table, I purchased six pair of marked-down socks.  It was a good shopping trip for me. 

This whole article is ridiculous.  I'll agree with them that there's value in presenting yourself well to the world -- especially in a professional arena -- but that doesn't have to mean $$$$$ bags.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:29:10 AM by MrsPete »

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »

The real old money types I know carry bags like this:

http://lotuffleather.com/collections/handbags/products/leather-angle-tote-1

Unbranded, very good leather, very expensive. Often handed down from mummy/granny, etc.

Or they carry the rattiest LL Bean boat totes known to man.

For men, the most rugged leather bags/briefcases I've come across are from Saddleback.  Expensive, but ridiculously overbuilt - one of those things that will probably out last you:

If I had a suitcase that fancy, I'd send it to Prague for its own vacation too!  :)

OK, say you walk around with a $2000 bag or a $900 man-purse...  Your odds of that shit (and everything in it!) getting stolen just increased about 320%.  Why?  Thieves know what things are worth!  That Saddleback?  Probably means you have a MacBook Pro in there.  The Coach purse?  iPhone 6.  I don't think people should walk around in a state of paranoia, but if you're going to paint a giant red 'X' on your back just to show the world you're successful and "have good taste", hell, when that guy in Central Park or the streets of Lisbon does a dash and grab I got nothing' but crocodile tears for ya.

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2015, 12:34:49 PM »
This thread really speaks to something I've been thinking about a lot lately, mostly due to a book called Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion. http://www.amazon.com/Overdressed-Shockingly-High-Cheap-Fashion/dp/1591846544/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439231025&sr=8-1&keywords=overdressed I read a lot about Mustachians frequenting places like Target/Walmart/Old Navy etc for great deals. It definitely is true that you can buy things for cheap at these places.

I think people in our camp have a responsibility to understand why frugality is important to us and to understand the implications of our frugal purchases. Finding a great deal on a vintage secondhand furniture item on Craigslist is one thing, but preaching the value of carrying a $15 Target purse is another; it is great for your budget but awful for so many other reasons! Sticking staunchly to the low end of the price spectrum for our consumer goods has a huge social and environmental implication which is not always communicated by the price tag (but in general, if you are buying an item with just a $20 bill, you should be thinking about why it is priced that low). Low quality materials have a negative impact on our environment (do some research on the synthetic fibers we use in clothing and accessories). Low priced goods also are almost exclusively made in countries that have abysmally low minimum wages. Although consumer decision making is not enough to fully change this economic trend, I'd love to see more Mustachians making intelligent purchases that wind up somewhere in the bottom range/middle of the cost spectrum for all the right reasons. We can set an example and still meet our own financial goals at the same time by simply owning fewer items of better quality.

No way is a $1000 purse necessary. But is a $300 handmade leather bag a Mustachian purchase? I definitely think it can be; especially if you realize that it will be the bag you use for years. There should be no reason to buy a new bag other than your current bag is broken beyond repair or you are handing it down to a new user. The goal shouldn't be keeping our cost-per-wear as low as possible at the expense of everyone else in the supply chain!!!

I'd love to see this article be called "8 Reasons Spending $300 on a Purse is Okay"

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
There's another issue that I think people on this forum are loath to acknowledge. Pretty much everyone posing here, myself included, has been on the side of the winners when it comes to the economic changes of the last half century.

Agree!! We can all be conscious of it and don't have to sacrifice any aspect of our lifestyles by simply owning less. With the exception of things like socks and underwear I don't really see the reason to own more than one or two of any item! I have 2 pairs of jeans, one light and one dark, and I'll go back to the consignment store for another pair of $30 american-made designer jeans when one wears out.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2015, 06:45:39 AM »
Mine gets a $60 Vera Bradley about once a year whether she needs it or not (usually from me).
Damnit!  I'm not even a purse person and you just got me clicking through all the Vera Bradley bags and wristlets!  Granted, I have been wanting a wristlet that fits my phone for a number of months now, but I just did not think it would go in this direction . . .  :-)

If you know how to sew, it is pretty easy to make a Vera Bradley- style bag.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2015, 07:38:41 AM »
Ditto on the comments from the ladies about a small, simple, black bag. I don't like carrying a purse, but when I have to go someplace sort of dressy, it seems tacky to plop the wallet, keys, and phone on the table. A little black bag does the trick nicely. Otherwise, I often just pocket the stuff.

I've gotten all my purses at thrift stores. Since many women tire of their bags quickly, there are lots of like-new ones to choose from, usually for $3 to $5.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2015, 07:54:55 AM »
Here's the mind boggling one for me. I baby wear quite a bit, because my daughter is a Velcro baby. Baby carriers are pricey, and tend to hold their resale value well, so it can be hard to find them cheaper on the secondary market. It's common to own a few because they are good for different purposes/sizes of child.

But I have seen women on fora with THOUSANDS of dollars in baby carriers. Eeep.

This.  Tula seems to be this batshit crazy thing where people acquire many carriers in multiple colours, at HUNDREDS of dollars apiece.  I don't get it.

I had two baby carriers - the first one was really uncomfortable, so I sold it.  The second one, I used for both my kids, and then sold it.  I don't understand collecting baby carriers for the purpose of just having them.  That's nuts.

And as for the purses, while there is a certain argument that a high quality bag will last longer, I have a leather couch for which I paid $2500 (10 years ago).  It is still pristine and is a very nice couch with very nice leather - few scratches, no signs of wear, very well constructed.  I have a hard time reconciling that the materials and labour that go into a relatively simple leather purse could possibly approach that.  I do think it is worth something if the people who made the purse are paid a fair wage and had good conditions.

I do like having a cute purse, but I've found that with options like Beyond the Rack, I'm able to purchase lower-end purses (like Matt & Nat) for $30 and they last me for years.  So I get a cute purse and I don't break the bank.  They appear to be relatively ethical, though I can't confirm where the purses are made.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Note for the people who don't baby wear. This is a Tula. It's a backpack style baby carrier. There are lots of different ones, Tula is popular because they are pretty. They are very savvy and release each print as a limited edition and some people are fanatical collectors. Baby carriers in general tend to be pricey, but hold their value well and sell for almost new prices on the secondary market.

http://www.tulababycarriers.com/

I looked at your link ($150 for carriers) then tested your assertion by looking at the Boston craigslist.  One is listed for $160.  Someone thinks that people will pay $10 more for a pre-owned and spit upon baby carrier.  Wow.  Maybe there's a side business somewhere in here...

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
This thread really speaks to something I've been thinking about a lot lately, mostly due to a book called Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion. http://www.amazon.com/Overdressed-Shockingly-High-Cheap-Fashion/dp/1591846544/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439231025&sr=8-1&keywords=overdressed I read a lot about Mustachians frequenting places like Target/Walmart/Old Navy etc for great deals. It definitely is true that you can buy things for cheap at these places.

I think people in our camp have a responsibility to understand why frugality is important to us and to understand the implications of our frugal purchases. Finding a great deal on a vintage secondhand furniture item on Craigslist is one thing, but preaching the value of carrying a $15 Target purse is another; it is great for your budget but awful for so many other reasons! Sticking staunchly to the low end of the price spectrum for our consumer goods has a huge social and environmental implication which is not always communicated by the price tag (but in general, if you are buying an item with just a $20 bill, you should be thinking about why it is priced that low). Low quality materials have a negative impact on our environment (do some research on the synthetic fibers we use in clothing and accessories). Low priced goods also are almost exclusively made in countries that have abysmally low minimum wages. Although consumer decision making is not enough to fully change this economic trend, I'd love to see more Mustachians making intelligent purchases that wind up somewhere in the bottom range/middle of the cost spectrum for all the right reasons. We can set an example and still meet our own financial goals at the same time by simply owning fewer items of better quality.

No way is a $1000 purse necessary. But is a $300 handmade leather bag a Mustachian purchase? I definitely think it can be; especially if you realize that it will be the bag you use for years. There should be no reason to buy a new bag other than your current bag is broken beyond repair or you are handing it down to a new user. The goal shouldn't be keeping our cost-per-wear as low as possible at the expense of everyone else in the supply chain!!!

I'd love to see this article be called "8 Reasons Spending $300 on a Purse is Okay"

Yup.  I got tired of buying an endless string of $40-80 dress shoes at DSW and having to replace them every 4-6 months as they fell apart.  I went out and spent $300 ($100 off!) on a pair of handmade-in-the-USA Allen Edmonds dress shoes, and 18 months later they are still in stellar shape, AND can be recobbled when they wear out.  Cheaper sometimes just means cheaper, it doesn't always mean better, and can be more expensive in the long run.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2015, 02:42:21 PM »
To go along with the baby carrier thing -- I used cloth diapers with my two.  I bought the brand/style that worked for my boys, and just enough of them to last us for 2-3 days.  When my younger boy finally potty trained, our diapers were seriously worn out.  But it is absolutely insane what I have seen some people spend on diapers.  And these aren't just getting spit on like a baby carrier, diapers get filled with some really nasty stuff!  I used to spend lots of time on Diaperswappers.com, and people would post their "stash pictures."  There were people that had enough diapers to cover the bums of an entire third world village.  And some of the "limited edition" diapers would sell for hundreds of dollars a piece.  Sheesh. 

Back on topic to purses, I am a one-purse-at-a-time kind of gal.  I find one I like and use it till it wears out.  I bought a really cute Vera Bradley purse on the clearance rack at the outlet store for $20.  I loved that thing and when it started to get worn out and ratty I was pretty bummed.  It was replaced with a $20 purse from the Kohls clearance rack that I like, but I still miss my VB. 

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »
I confess I have gone to Dean and Deluca and indulged in luxury chocolates (hanging head).  Being a part time foodie has always been a small demon of mine....

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2015, 05:24:37 AM »
I heard this in a customs office in Canada while waiting in line ...

Officer: You have a handbag (to a man) that you want to put on a control card?
Man: Yes we have had it and the other one for a few weeks and we keep getting asked if we just purchased it.
Officer: (looking at the bill for the bag) Yessssss I guess you would want to put this on a card ... Is there a serial number for the bag?
Man: No but it has a name.

Me: FACE PUNCH ... a BAG with a NAME ???? I don't care HOW much money you have or how much your bag is worth... that is ridiculous!

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
6. Because bag prices have risen so much in recent years that it can be hard to stay under four digits sometimes.

Are you actually serious??! Ignoring all the cheap purse options you have at places like Target and thrift shops, you can go into a department store and get a highly coveted bag for a couple hundred bucks. Complaining that prices have risen so it's hard to find anything under $1000? You are a mind-numbingly painful person.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2015, 02:48:02 PM »

The challenge with this issue is that you can't tell the salary of the maker from the purchase price. A lot of expensive name brands have gotten critized for making their items at near slave like work conditions, several in the same factories as the cheap brands.

Petunia 100

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »
I'm trying to imagine the feature set that would make a purse worth $1000.

It would have to be armoured, for sure, intended for use in high crime/collapsed society areas.
It would need a satellite based alarm system for when you got in trouble so you could call for help.
It should probably be able to purify water and contain a host of electrical gadgets related to temperature, GPS location, humidity and tactical support for contacting your fellow post-zombie-apocalypse survivors.

Also it should have a Taser embedded in it so that it gives you a light but painful buzz whenever you try to buy a $1000 purse because all of those features are dumb.

Toque.

Those features are not worth $1000.   If it does the dishes, folds laundry, dusts, sweeps, mops and vacuums, THEN it is worth 1k.  Show me a purse which does all of that.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »

The challenge with this issue is that you can't tell the salary of the maker from the purchase price. A lot of expensive name brands have gotten critized for making their items at near slave like work conditions, several in the same factories as the cheap brands.

I'm willing to pay more for things that I know are made in well-paid factories, but there is no adequate way to ensure this. Just like with many of the grocery store brands, some no-name brands are made in the same factories as the premium ones. Sure, the brand name ones might be made with better material, or the quality might be better checked, but it doesn't mean too much to the person working in the factory.

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2015, 07:10:47 AM »

I'm willing to pay more for things that I know are made in well-paid factories, but there is no adequate way to ensure this. Just like with many of the grocery store brands, some no-name brands are made in the same factories as the premium ones. Sure, the brand name ones might be made with better material, or the quality might be better checked, but it doesn't mean too much to the person working in the factory.

I agree! Lack of transparency makes your purchasing decision more difficult! Although it is not true that you can't tell anything about the salary of the worker by the purchase price, you can tell a lot from the country of manufacture. You can easily look up minimum wage for Bangladesh etc. online. Also, you can always look for items made in good ole USA!! Support local craft fairs/artisans on Etsy...many of whom have awesome items at Mustachian prices.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
I agree! Lack of transparency makes your purchasing decision more difficult! Although it is not true that you can't tell anything about the salary of the worker by the purchase price, you can tell a lot from the country of manufacture. You can easily look up minimum wage for Bangladesh etc. online. Also, you can always look for items made in good ole USA!! Support local craft fairs/artisans on Etsy...many of whom have awesome items at Mustachian prices.

USA is not local for me. ;)

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2015, 07:33:35 AM »

USA is not local for me. ;)

Where do you live?! There goes my self-centered Americanism again :)

I'd love to hear what it is like shopping in other countries...what stores do people shop at/how is the pricing and quality?