Author Topic: 7~12 bags of trash per week!  (Read 20790 times)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 7~12 bags of trash per week!
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2015, 08:09:57 AM »
My dog would likely think digging that composting up would be interesting. ;)

Took our garbage to the transfer station yesterday. Our month's worth is apparently less some some people's weekly pile. Recycling definitely has a big part in that.

Recently a friend told us how they've taken up recycling. The story was told like it was a new idea that nobody has even tried before. I was very happy for them. They have finally "seen the light" too. 

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »
My goal is to find a way to recycle plastic at home. :-)

bonfire

PCBs

I did see a youtube video by a guy who recycles plastic. If the item has the 'recyclable' symbol on it, it can be melted at a fairly low temp, and the goo molded into any shape you want. I am considering making bricks for a walkway...

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2015, 06:13:47 AM »

bonfire

PCBs
just to get the hot coals roiling, then walk away come back when nice fire is going

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2015, 08:30:50 AM »

bonfire

PCBs

I did see a youtube video by a guy who recycles plastic. If the item has the 'recyclable' symbol on it, it can be melted at a fairly low temp, and the goo molded into any shape you want. I am considering making bricks for a walkway...

Would that be slippery when wet? Sounds great though - would last a long time.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »

[/quote]

PCBs
[/quote]

[/quote]

Would that be slippery when wet? Sounds great though - would last a long time.
[/quote]

You make the surface rough while still gummy, and can add in sand to the mix too. In the video I watched, the guy was making plastic hammers.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Sorry to necro, finally found this pic I took on my phone to add here... :P

Typical trash-day experience on my street.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »

Your town takes dogs?  Why were your neighbors throwing it away?  Got into the Dr Thunder stash?  New fashion breed came out and the neighbors wanted to upgrade? :D

To everyone complaining about the amount of garbage neighbors throw away, count yourself lucky.  It can always be worse.  I have a neighbor who generates just as much garbage, but refuses to actually throw it away on a routine basis (pay to throw city).  The garbage only ever goes away when I call the landlord and say that it probably isn't good for roach & rodent control to have 8 wheeled bins of garbage plus bags and bags of overflow sitting behind the house just rotting in the sun week after week after week after week.

All for want of about $6 of garbage bags a week, they have to resort to a (likely) threat of eviction to make them behave like normal people.  (Surprisingly they have no problem coming up with ~$80 a week of beer & cig money).  The stress on public works it must cause to randomly roll up to a house and have to handle an extra ~800 gallons of garbage waste...that's like 1/8th of the truck right there.  Not to mention sitting there for 10+ minutes holding up traffic trying to load it all in to the hopper, compressing it, repeat, repeat, repeat....

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2016, 09:13:22 PM »

Your town takes dogs?  Why were your neighbors throwing it away?  Got into the Dr Thunder stash?  New fashion breed came out and the neighbors wanted to upgrade? :D

To everyone complaining about the amount of garbage neighbors throw away, count yourself lucky.  It can always be worse.  I have a neighbor who generates just as much garbage, but refuses to actually throw it away on a routine basis (pay to throw city).  The garbage only ever goes away when I call the landlord and say that it probably isn't good for roach & rodent control to have 8 wheeled bins of garbage plus bags and bags of overflow sitting behind the house just rotting in the sun week after week after week after week.

All for want of about $6 of garbage bags a week, they have to resort to a (likely) threat of eviction to make them behave like normal people.  (Surprisingly they have no problem coming up with ~$80 a week of beer & cig money).  The stress on public works it must cause to randomly roll up to a house and have to handle an extra ~800 gallons of garbage waste...that's like 1/8th of the truck right there.  Not to mention sitting there for 10+ minutes holding up traffic trying to load it all in to the hopper, compressing it, repeat, repeat, repeat....

Yep, that's worse.  I would hate to be that landlord, I can only imagine what the inside of the house looks like.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2016, 01:35:16 AM »

Yep, that's worse.  I would hate to be that landlord, I can only imagine what the inside of the house looks like.
There's a culture among the traveller community in the UK of keeping the inside of the vans absolutely spotless, but very often when a group moves on to a new site the one left behind is strewn with rubbish.  Zephyr's neighbours may be the same.  As far as I can gather, it's the same mindset as people who drop litter in the street, throw it out of car windows: it's as though their personal sphere of responsibility is tightly bounded by their house, traveller's van or car and anything beyond that immediate boundary becomes something not of their concern.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2016, 06:44:38 AM »

Those people actually do have a really fucked-up outlook about dogs, by total coincidence... they have an annoying, untrained bitchy trend dog inside that yaps at us from the door, and totally neglected pitbulls tied up out back. I'd take away all their dogs if I could. But that's my spirit guide right there... his name is Jack and he's seen more of the world than most humans ever do.
To everyone complaining about the amount of garbage neighbors throw away
Not to quibble, but I'm more pitying them than complaining. I pass these bins and I can't help but visualize piles of money being set on fire.
count yourself lucky.  It can always be worse.

*horrifying description of neighbors*
Indeed. It always can. And I do count myself lucky... mine are vastly better than that.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2016, 11:10:11 PM »

There's a culture among the traveller community in the UK of keeping the inside of the vans absolutely spotless, but very often when a group moves on to a new site the one left behind is strewn with rubbish.  Zephyr's neighbours may be the same.  As far as I can gather, it's the same mindset as people who drop litter in the street, throw it out of car windows: it's as though their personal sphere of responsibility is tightly bounded by their house, traveller's van or car and anything beyond that immediate boundary becomes something not of their concern.

I saw this once. Guy gets out of his (neat clean) car at a gas station, collects a candy wrapper from the car and just drops it on the ground. I was infuriated by how he was flagrantly externalizing his trash, especially since there was a goddamn bin RIGHT THERE.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2016, 06:22:54 AM »

I saw this once. Guy gets out of his (neat clean) car at a gas station, collects a candy wrapper from the car and just drops it on the ground. I was infuriated by how he was flagrantly externalizing his trash, especially since there was a goddamn bin RIGHT THERE.

When I see something like this I walk over, pick up the garbage, then knock on the car window and tell the guy that he dropped something.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2016, 08:41:16 AM »
Actually saw a recent video from Hawaii where someone got out of their car to do that to another driver. Couldn't identify the object... cig butt maybe, something small. Loved the gesture.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2016, 02:09:36 PM »

We have these leadfooted teenagers that live down the street. Just about every night they throw their fastfood trash out their car window as they enter the neighborhood. Not in my yard. Each day someone goes out and cleans up their mess. Word is out on these - - - people. Can't wait until they get a little older and move out. Last of the thoughtless teenagers for the time being.

Everyone else seems to been raised to have manners.