Author Topic: 7 bags every woman should own by age 30  (Read 15002 times)

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
7 bags every woman should own by age 30
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:41:57 PM »
http://www.glamour.com/story/7-bags-every-woman-should-own-by?mbid=social_fb_fanpage

No wonder we're running out of closet space :p
While it makes sense to have separate purses for everyday purposes and dressy occasions, I'm not sure we need 7 different types of bags. And yes, I know this is Glamour magazine here, but it blows my mind that the "least" expensive bag featured on this list is $298.

asiljoy

• Bristles
Re: 7 bags every woman should own by age 30
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:00:48 PM »
and the use case for 4 of those bags is the same thing. At least the header had "should" instead of "MUST!".

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 06:56:19 AM »
My best friends got me a gift voucher for a handbag shop last year as they said that the pleather covering that was falling off my bag in hunks was 'traumatising' to them (in jest, I think!). I don't get bag fashion. I still take my lunch to work in a recycled grocery bag every day, and carry my laptop and work stuff in a backpack that I got for free. I'm not really fussed, if someone is going to judge me based on the bag I'm carrying, well, I'm gonna judge them harder for judging someone based on something as stupid as a bag....

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:06:20 AM »
I still take my lunch to work in a recycled grocery bag every day, and carry my laptop and work stuff in a backpack that I got for free.

Me too! In my line of work, I get paid for what's in my brain rather than what I carry on my shoulder.

crispy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »
It seems like 1\2 of those bags would serve the same purpose...what exactly is the difference between the clutch, the statement bag and the evening bag? Seriously, they all look different versions of the same thing. Also, the leather tote and the work bag would seem to serve the same purpose. I am obviously not a purse person. I feel fancy when I carry my used Vera Bradley.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 04:50:02 PM »
I have a few purses, but they all cost under $20 and none of them have names... should I give them names? Will that make them more valuable and me a more likeable, awesome person somehow?

I honestly equate fancy/expensive purses (especially the ones with obvious name tags/print logos) with really, really dumb/shallow women. I can't help it; that's all I've ever seen as being attracted to that type of thing.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »
Dear god. What the fuck is wrong with people, anyway?

Shall continue to put my wallet in my back pocket. Maybe front if I'm worried about pickpockets, but usually the mini iPad is there.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
I just turned 30. My bags consist of a black Carters diaper bag I got for free from my local Buy Nothing group and a small denim purse I bought at Goodwill for $3.

I'm clearly failing at life. But hey at least I have a net worth approaching half a million.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:12:44 PM by flamingo25 »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
I'm supposed to own 7 bags?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »

I know what you mean.  I own three purses:  1 for everyday and a straw bag for the summer.  Plus a fake Chanel bag that my husband picked up in an auction lot.   I stopped buying magazines long before I found this website because most of the articles were about stuff that I just couldn't relate to.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 06:44:29 PM »

You know, I probably do own seven bags, but several are the fake-cloth giveaway kind you get at conferences and one is a rucksack that was in better shape prior to being schlepped through the Vietnam war.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 07:50:13 PM »
I have a few purses, but they all cost under $20 and none of them have names... should I give them names? Will that make them more valuable and me a more likeable, awesome person somehow?

Sandor:      "Of course you named your sword purse."
Arya:          "Lots of people name their swords purses."
Sandor:      "Lots of c***s."

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »
I have never been a handbag person so I couldnt get past the title of the article.  I only own two I use, one a Baggallini I wear around my neck I keep my ID, money and transit card in plus coupous and keys and another black purse I was given I can't find since I never use it.  I tend to adopt a smaller dressier totelike bag and toss the baggallini into it for special occasions

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »
My wife has pretty much stopped using a purse.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 12:30:40 PM »
http://www.glamour.com/story/7-bags-every-woman-should-own-by?mbid=social_fb_fanpage

No wonder we're running out of closet space :p
While it makes sense to have separate purses for everyday purposes and dressy occasions, I'm not sure we need 7 different types of bags. And yes, I know this is Glamour magazine here, but it blows my mind that the "least" expensive bag featured on this list is $298.

What about unnecessary conspicuous consumption for men? So sexist!

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »
Thank goodness I still have a few years to acquire these necessities...

I honestly equate fancy/expensive purses (especially the ones with obvious name tags/print logos) with really, really dumb/shallow women. I can't help it; that's all I've ever seen as being attracted to that type of thing.

You should definitely give them names. And googly eyes. :D

PursuingIndependence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 03:28:10 PM »
It seems like 1\2 of those bags would serve the same purpose...what exactly is the difference between the clutch, the statement bag and the evening bag? Seriously, they all look different versions of the same thing. Also, the leather tote and the work bag would seem to serve the same purpose. I am obviously not a purse person. I feel fancy when I carry my used Vera Bradley.

I agree on the purpose being the same. I am also confused that a mini-backpack is on the list, is a regular backpack not a bag?
The prices for those on the list are ridiculous. I bought my bags at thrift and consignment stores. You can find nice ones in good condition for very reasonable prices.

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 04:05:28 PM »
Didn't read the article, but I assume they mean that we all need 7 reusable grocery bags because how else would we get groceries home? Right?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
Didn't read the article, but I assume they mean that we all need 7 reusable grocery bags because how else would we get groceries home? Right?
I wish!

That was ridiculous.  Do I have seven bags? 

1.  Backpack from Costco for hiking and travel.
2.  Computer bag I take to work with my laptop, free from a conference
3.  A brown canvas purse I bought at the Sunday artist fair.  10 years ago at least.  It's pretty small.
4.  A bright purse I got in hawaii.  I haven't used that in awhile.
5.  A $5 silver small purse for going "out", aka, the company holiday parties (matches the only pair of heels I own)
6.  A larger black and silver purse that pretty much replaced the small silver purse, because I'm a mom.  And it has doubled as a diaper bag, snack bag, etc.  At $90, it was the most expensive one I've ever bought.
7.  A very bright diaper bag that I sewed myself and can't bring myself to get rid of, even though my kids aren't in diapers anymore.  It's great for the beach, fits a lot of stuff.
8.  A canvas bag with a broken zipper I bought for $1 at a garage sale.  I think it's got a cruise line name on it.  It's my gym bag that I use for my swim days.
9.  A canvas/ gold tote I bought at a school auction, which is really a good size for the beach or the baseball games, though I almost always use the backpack.  I should probably donate it.

OMG nine! 

My husband only has one, a combo computer bag/ backpack

That doesn't include the reusable grocery bags of course.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 04:55:12 PM »
Lessee...

• Regular medium-sized Wal-Mart backpack that I tote to/from work--gift, but will need to be replaced soon
  • Very small leather all-purpose purse--$40 from a local artist and very high quality
  • Big backpack for larger grocery runs--no idea where/when I got it; probably had it since high school
  • Tiny backpack for gym clothes--free from work
  • Canvas/nylon slightly bigger purse--$16 TJ Maxx; temporary replacement when the bag I used for years (which was a gift and the perfect size) disintegrated--now replaced by the much better and smaller item #2 on this list
  • Formal outing purse--it's fancy because it has tassels and shiny bits; gift
  • Insulated shopping tote for summer groceries and road trips--Amazon, $16
Also miscellaneous canvas/reusable bags collected from conferences, work functions, and street fairs. So yeah, I have 7 bags! Just probably not the bags intended by the author, or even close.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »
Wow. I hope I never live to see the day I need something called a "Rose applique dinky cross-body."

My "wallet" is the zipped case that my Nook (a gift) came in.

On days I drive, I put it in a soft grey flannel purse I bought at a thrift shop. Grey flannel goes with business clothes, black funeral clothes, and jeans and flannel plaid just fine. I also have a fancier purse my sister got me for Christmas - also from a thrift shop.

On days that I bike, the nook case goes in the top pouch of my lunch box.

If I go running, I put my phone and keys in a spi-belt.

LifeAtTheLodgeHouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 09:49:24 PM »
Confession time:

Not to long ago I was a bag sucker and obsessed with a label! That all stopped the minute I came to my senses, cleared my debt and found Mustachianism.

Even after my senses were found, I occasionally lost them. Not too long ago I visited New York and needed a new handbag. I planned and saved for a Mulberry handbag (thankfully not on credit which was a BIG problem for me previously). Then when the moment came, I was in the store trying the bag on and I realized I had changed as I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a bag and I walked out of the shop. I took my money and purchased a $90 fossil handbag that I am still in love with, use everyday and is still in mint condition and looks like I purchased it yesterday. Saving myself around $1,300.

A handbag was still purchased but progress was made. Plus I spent about 1 week seriously considering, visiting (4 times) and deliberating over the $90 fossil handbag (was on holiday in US, only had 1 week) also was 30% off. Previously I would have dropped $90 in a heartbeat and not flinched.

However my sister's husband buys her two good quality handbags every year for her birthday. One of last year's (gorgeous) bags has never been used and she has said she'll give it to me... I know where I'll be getting my handbags from now on :)

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 09:49:49 PM »
I've got 1 leather purse that I use for whatever occasion, 1 backpack for going to/from work (for laptop carrying), and a few reusable tote bags for grocery shopping and carrying larger items.  The only thing I'd consider an actual purse is #1.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 10:34:55 PM »
REI soft briefcase/computer bag
Cross-body bike messenger type bag for taking clothes on bike
Drybag backpack for carrying shopping on bike
Rolling / backpack convertible carry on luggage bag
Huge dry bag duffel for work gear when I worked offshore
Big fancy hiking pack
Smaller fancy hiking pack
Hydration cycling backpack
Cheap Jansport school backpack I've had for 25 years

.... I may actually own more pairs of shoes / boots than my wife as well

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 10:09:17 AM »
While I think 7 expensive purses is basically insane  I'm going to step out on a limb and be the one to to make the argument for the quality of a nice purse.

I was given a basic black leather medium size hobo-style from Coach (no logo) back in 2000 - I carried it almost every day until about 2012 when I had to start using diaper bags. The purse is 15 years old but other than the corners starting to look their age the leather is solid and the lining is still in one piece. Also I can take it in to a coach store any time and they will do the leather reconditioning oil rub thing to it.

When I eventually replace it (when my diaper bag days have passed) I will likely purchase another spendy purse in a classic style as my every day bag (and hope to carry it for 10-15 years).

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 10:13:31 AM »

Sandor:      "Of course you named your sword purse."
Arya:          "Lots of people name their swords purses."
Sandor:      "Lots of c***s."
Nice GoT reference!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 04:21:55 PM »
What's wrong with owning 7 bags? 

Personally, I own about 100 bags; I just got a few new ones today!  Most of mine are white with the red Target symbol on the side ('cause they're thick and worth saving), while others are tan and read Food Lion.  I tend to throw away CVS and Walgreen's bags because they're thin and not so good for lining trash cans. 

Seriously, I don't buy cheap-cheap bags.  They tend to tear up fast and are a poor value.  At this moment I probably have 3-4 handbags of varying sizes in my closet, and if purchased new, they'd probably have cost about $50 each.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 04:22:02 PM »
What's wrong with owning 7 bags? 

Personally, I own about 100 bags; I just got a few new ones today!  Most of mine are white with the red Target symbol on the side ('cause they're thick and worth saving), while others are tan and read Food Lion.  I tend to throw away CVS and Walgreen's bags because they're thin and not so good for lining trash cans. 

Seriously, I don't buy cheap-cheap bags.  They tend to tear up fast and are a poor value.  At this moment I probably have 3-4 handbags of varying sizes in my closet, and if purchased new, they'd probably have cost about $50 each.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 04:58:50 PM »
I tend to throw away CVS and Walgreen's bags because they're thin and not so good for lining trash cans. 

Your post was funny, but just had to say this.  Instead of throwing them away, how about double-bagging or bringing your own bags to those stores?  Less plastic needlessly going into the landfill  :)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 05:04:33 PM »
which one comes with a special inner pocket to hold your credit card bills?

Thisisme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 09:33:12 AM »
I'm about 10 years late for their deadline, but I bought #1 on the list a few months ago.  On sale (although still over $150).  It's my everyday bag and it's holding up very well.  Cost per use will be very low, as I can see it taking a long time to wear out.  I have no plans to buy anything else on the list but I feel no shame in owning #1. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 10:18:06 AM »
Medium-small black leather cross body, good quality but not real expensive, carried it forever. If I have to carry more stuff, it's usually in my LL Bean medium canvas tote bag (cream with black trim). Actually have a fancy evening bag--bought it on Guam in 1982--still looks nice. Black eel skin. Don't like backpacks.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 06:24:26 PM »
I wanna play!

1.) MEC black knapsack, over 16 years old, was a birthday gift from a dear friend.  Still in use though waterproof lining is completely deteriorated and a zipper needs TLC (only works in one direction otherwise it splits), has been all over the world many times
2.) Free knapsack from my current employer (I save this for travelling as a replacement for MEC knapsack because I'm worried about the zippers)
3.) leather purse bought from la Baggagerie BHV in Paris in 2005 for about Cdn$100 - looks the same as the day it was bought, used only for travelling; holds passports, boarding passes, wallet, glasses, phone and bandaids

#3 was a vanity purchase in my younger and sillier days.  Mind you, we also bought some kitchen knives at BHV and we love, use and will treasure those for years to come

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 07:15:30 PM »
They got it wrong; this is a grown-up backpack:

My work bag was almost as expensive as the one they suggest, but it was a gift and has the wonderful, wonderful feature of clipping onto my bike rack and not giving me scoliosis (while also being well adapted to over-the-shoulder, messenger-bag carrying for non-biking days).

Besides those, I admit I have too many bags and STILL get nowhere to the collective value of their "must-haves".
-2 tiny purses, fancy black satin and non-fancy tan fabric
-1 medium red leather purse; gift from aunt
-1 black/brown faux leather tote; fits laptop; for conferences
-1 blue/white striped tote; totally useless but very cute, great for beach (might have splurged 15 whole dollars on it several years ago)
-3 daypacks/laptop backpacks in various sizes for hiking/work/travel
-lots of conference/event bags, mostly totes. Great for packing for picnics or camping, bringing board games to a friend's house, etc.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 07:23:04 PM »
I always prided myself on not having a lot of purses, shoes, jewelry, etc.  But compared to some of you, I am a spendy-spendypants.

1) Large Black Longchamp - Christmas gift this year to replace my medium black longchamp (which was also a Christmas gift) that finally gave up the ghost after 5 years of heavy daily use.
2) Large Black Longchamp #2 - Apparently, I am very hard to shop for, so when I mentioned that I wanted a new purse, two of my (incredibly generous) relatives jumped on it.  It will live in my closet for the next ~5 years until number 1 gives out. 
3) Cross-body baggalini - I don't remember when this came into my life, but I usually only use it when I am on a vacation that requires a lot of walking (ie: this has pretty much become my Disney World purse)
4) Burberry Purse - Christmas gift from many moons ago.  I only use it on rare occasion when I feel super fancy.

And then all the bags that aren't really purses:
6) Laptop bag that work gave me to cart around my laptop and peripherals.
7) Backpack ($12 at staples) the I use for weekend trips and large grocery trips
8) Weekender bag (sort of a larger than normal messenger bag) - Long weekend trips - I can pack up to a week's worth of clothes if needed.
9) Carry-on Suitcase - I used to live out of one of these...I have since acquired more stuff but could pare back down if the opportunity to hit the road full-time arises.
10) Risk Steve's Folding bag.  I bought this a decade ago and I don't remember how much it was, but probably in the $20-$30 range.   This thing has become one of my most useful travel accessories.  It is grocery hauler, a laundry bag, a library book hauler, a "oh shit somehow everything won't fit in my suitcase" bag.  I have gone on five day cruises using it as my sole piece of luggage.  I seriously, seriously love it!

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 10:32:54 PM »
lol, this post made me look in my closet to check out my own purse/bag situation.  I've got the following:

-one larger black leather tote.  I bought this 6 years ago when I was doing real estate as a side gig and needed something to carry my laptop and files in when meeting clients.  Its now used on days when I need to carry a lot of stuff with me (and my backpack isn't appropriate) or when I'm going away for 1-2 days.
-one grey pleather hobo-style purse - my "daily" purse (bought used for $4 to replace the previous thrifted daily purse which died after 3 years of use with me)
-one black leather clutch with silver detailing picked up in the UK.  I felt quite spendy when I bought it (it was $150 for a clutch, that seemed crazy to me) but I've had it for 7-8 yrs and use it regularly
-an Eddie Bauer backpack that is over 15 years old now.  It was $60-70 dollars back when I bought it but it's my gym bag, my overnight bag if I'm travelling for 3-4 days, my snowboarding bag and school bag when I head to my continuing education class at a nearby university.  For a few years it was even getting shared use between my mother and I...it has definitely proven its worth!!
-a small black pleather wristlet for when I go to a club and don't carry a purse (bought used for $2) - rarely used these days but takes up no space so I keep it "just in case"
-an expedition backpack which, amusingly, I've never used myself.  I keep planning trips that get cancelled due to injuries (either mine or those of my friends) but its been lent out to many friends so its still seen use.  I bought it on clearance for some ridiculously low price so I hold onto it and keep planning more trips, hoping that one day, *I'll* actually get to use it.
-a fancy schmancy gym bag which I regret buying as a gym bag (its a pain to carry the weight of my gym stuff on one shoulder) but which gets used for trips 5-8 days long
-a carry-on roller for all non-expedition/camping trips longer than 8 days.

So 8 bags not including my reusable shopping bags (I think I have 6 or 7 canvas bags) and the 5 luggage components I've been issued for my work uniform (roller bag, 2 types of totes, 1 insulated lunch bag and 1 purse).  I used to have a purse "collection" in my teens/early 20s so I'm quite happy with what I've whittled it down to..

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2016, 06:47:01 AM »
I care about clothes. I enjoy wearing nice clothes. I enjoy looking at and touching nice clothes. I have a subscription to Vogue and I look forward to it arriving every month so I can croon over the pretties. I still think this bag list is stupid.

Here is a better list: three bags every woman should own by the age of, like, whatever:

1. A big bag for when you want to carry a lot of stuff around, like papers from work or even a laptop. (I have a brown leather satchel that I got as a birthday present at university. A large leather tote would work just as well, as would a really smart backpack.)
2. A medium bag for when you just need your phone, keys, card, book and maybe a lipsalve. (I have a small brown leather satchel (approx the size of a medium paperback) which I made myself during my creative postgrad. I think medium-sized bags should be ones with a cross-body strap.)
3. A small bag, for evenings and events. (I have a tiny white leather satchel with gold fixings that I bought for £10 from a charity shop. I think small bags should be black, white, silver or gold so they go with everything, and should be plain but chic so you can go to parties or just out to the pub.)

Yes, I do have a satchel theme going on... I also own a practical backpack and numerous grocery totes but they belong in the cupboard, not my wardrobe.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2016, 11:29:54 AM »
I will admit that I had a bag obsession for many years but I finally found a system that works really well.

1) A cloth wristlet from Etsy that holds cash, a few cards, lip balm and my cell phone.

2) A medium size bag that looks elegant, has a lot of organizer pockets, and converts to a backpack in a pinch if I need my hands for something. 

3) A large Land's End tote bag.

4) A large work bag.

I nest the bags and carry the smallest bag I need on any given day.  The tote bag is casual and the work bag is more professional.  These are all inexpensive bags. 

Ellabean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »
Women's magazines exist to incite consumer desire, spark shame, and sell shit to fill the gap. As John Berger wrote, they steal our self-love and sell it back to us (quote slightly mangled).

That said, I have a Kate Spade bag that I bought before I found MMM. I bought it because beautiful... and because it was on sale-- a "flash sale!!!!" I love it. I also love the wallet that I bought for the same reason at the same time. Now I am unsubscribed from all those lists, and I will not buy another expensive purse/bag/wallet for another 20 years.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 05:29:22 AM »
Only 7 bags? The author must not have cats.