Author Topic: 60-Something Year Old on the Train  (Read 15580 times)

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
60-Something Year Old on the Train
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:37:32 AM »
I was commuting to work yesterday via train and I sat next to an older man (probably in his 60s) with his jacket over his head to block off any sunlight so he can sneak in a few minutes of sleep.  The whole time I just wanted to yell at him and say "you're too old for this shit, why don't you retire?" 

I hope to never become this old man that still has to wake up at 6 am to go through the daily grind. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: 60-Something Year Old on the Train
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:07:45 AM »
I was commuting to work yesterday via train and I sat next to an older man (probably in his 60s) with his jacket over his head to block off any sunlight so he can sneak in a few minutes of sleep.  The whole time I just wanted to yell at him and say "you're too old for this shit, why don't you retire?" 

I hope to never become this old man that still has to wake up at 6 am to go through the daily grind.
are you sure he wasn't someone who genuinely likes his work?  My dad worked until age 67 even though he could have easily retired a decade earlier. After retiring he realized he likes to teach, and now he teaches med-school students once a week. Warren Buffett is still working at age 84, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't need work any longer.

Yeah - I don't want to HAVE to work when I'm 60s, but I could also follow my dad's model of teaching 1-2 days a week each semester until I become completely senile.

CaveDweller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 07:19:37 AM »
My favorite was on my commute home one day- it was around 5pm on a Tuesday and I am on the train sitting behind a well dressed man probably in his 50s.  He is holding up his kindle reading some book, and I hear a loud crack of a beer or soda opening.  I notice it is a Busch original and he proceeds to slowly, casually drink down the whole thing in about 10 seconds, all while still holding up and reading his kindle.  It was the most casual and classy beer chug I have ever witnessed.  Then he immediately reaches down into his bag and grabs another.... then another.... then another.  I had to get off at my stop about 15 minutes later but I saw him drink 5 beers in that time!

I remember thinking, wow, this guy must have had a really shitty day, but the way he was acting made me think this was just a regular day and it was his regular routine.  So then I thought, wow, this guy must really hate going home to his wife/kids?!

Fascinating! The fact that he was reading his kindle throughout makes me think this is his actual routine. Wonder what he does for a living? I think the good people at Busch original should sponsor a documentary about this man. I'd watch.

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:21:42 AM »

are you sure he wasn't someone who genuinely likes his work?  My dad worked until age 67 even though he could have easily retired a decade earlier. After retiring he realized he likes to teach, and now he teaches med-school students once a week. Warren Buffett is still working at age 84, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't need work any longer.

Yeah - I don't want to HAVE to work when I'm 60s, but I could also follow my dad's model of teaching 1-2 days a week each semester until I become completely senile.

I don't think working is necessarily bad but at that stage of my life I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to wake up at 6 am and take a train (his commute was atleast over 30 minutes) and throw a jacket over my head to gain a few more minutes of sleep.   

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:24:59 AM »
Things like this give me motivation everyday.  I can't believe the amount of older people who still slug it into work everyday downtown.

My favorite was on my commute home one day- it was around 5pm on a Tuesday and I am on the train sitting behind a well dressed man probably in his 50s.  He is holding up his kindle reading some book, and I hear a loud crack of a beer or soda opening.  I notice it is a Busch original and he proceeds to slowly, casually drink down the whole thing in about 10 seconds, all while still holding up and reading his kindle.  It was the most casual and classy beer chug I have ever witnessed.  Then he immediately reaches down into his bag and grabs another.... then another.... then another.  I had to get off at my stop about 15 minutes later but I saw him drink 5 beers in that time!

I remember thinking, wow, this guy must have had a really shitty day, but the way he was acting made me think this was just a regular day and it was his regular routine.  So then I thought, wow, this guy must really hate going home to his wife/kids?!

Yep I see this people all the time.  There are usually two kinds of beer drinkers on the train, the group of construction workers that get hammered at 3-5 pm on the train after their long day of work, and the clean cut businessman that is on his phone or labtop while chugging away beers.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 08:03:40 AM »
I have at least three co-workers in their late sixties (I'm 48) and one in his seventies. I know at least two of the ones in their sixties would rather be retired. One has two kids in their late twenties mooching off him and his wife at home without lifting much of a finger to find jobs or take care of the household duties. (I struggle to say very little on the matter, which is none of my business.) One simply made a series of investments and purchases based on wishful thinking, so doesn't have the stash he needs. The one in his sixties who seems cheerful about working lost his wife recently and I suspect it's his way of having a social life. It makes me even more determined to RE so I can enjoy more freedom with my boyfriend. You never know how much time you have.

I don't know the guy in his seventies. But dayum, I drag my butt in here every day wishing I didn't have to. I can't imagine being in my seventies and still working.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 09:13:27 AM »
Things like this give me motivation everyday.  I can't believe the amount of older people who still slug it into work everyday downtown.

Yep I see this people all the time.  There are usually two kinds of beer drinkers on the train, the group of construction workers that get hammered at 3-5 pm on the train after their long day of work, and the clean cut businessman that is on his phone or labtop while chugging away beers.

I would think that this behavior, while not exactly mustachian, is still better than going to the pub for a few pints. At least this minimizes costs.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »

My father used to carpool with a guy like this -- they worked the graveyard shift together, and he'd drink a six pack of beer in the car between leaving work and getting home every morning.

Dad drove.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »

It's probable he might want to work or see it as some sort of moral issue.

I know a feeble old woman in her 80s that still works. She was complaining about young people not working and everybody ought to work and there is no excuse not to work. The only disability income should be for extreme cases like paraplegics because there is always something you can do. She said she had 4 hours of dialysis that morning before going in to work but still wasn't late for work. She has 4 hours of dialysis every week for 3 days a week but refuses to let it stop her from working. She said she fell on the floor one day at work and nobody could get her up. She had to sit on the floor for about an hour. She had to call her nephew who is a big strong man to come pick her up and set her back in her office chair. He thought she should go take the rest of the day off. She told him that she's back in her chair and just fine and dandy now so she'll keep working. She said happily that should set a good example for her nephew next time he thinks about taking a break from work that he should think of his aunt. As long as you are in any way capable of getting doing work you should do it until the day you die. She sees this as a moral issue and the way it ought to be. When she's not working she's volunteering her time as a receptionist at some charitable organization.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »
I work in an industry that is currently in a downturn, so we handed out a bunch of early retirement packages.  We speculated who would take them and who would not.  One guy who has no concept of money turned it down, b/c you would have to pay taxes on that 1 year of salary!  (It is not being paid lump sum, so its the equivalent of getting the check and not showing up for a year.)

To me, the worst one is a guy who is easily in his 70's.  He opted to pass on the package b/c he was finally getting recognition from his boss & peers for the work he's doing.  I highly doubt it, he's regarded as a PITA, but I digress.  I could never willingly continue working because my self worth is tied up in what other people think of me.  :(

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
I know a feeble old woman in her 80s that still works. She was complaining about young people not working and everybody ought to work and there is no excuse not to work. The only disability income should be for extreme cases like paraplegics because there is always something you can do. She said she had 4 hours of dialysis that morning before going in to work but still wasn't late for work. She has 4 hours of dialysis every week for 3 days a week but refuses to let it stop her from working. She said she fell on the floor one day at work and nobody could get her up. She had to sit on the floor for about an hour. She had to call her nephew who is a big strong man to come pick her up and set her back in her office chair. He thought she should go take the rest of the day off. She told him that she's back in her chair and just fine and dandy now so she'll keep working. She said happily that should set a good example for her nephew next time he thinks about taking a break from work that he should think of his aunt. As long as you are in any way capable of getting doing work you should do it until the day you die. She sees this as a moral issue and the way it ought to be. When she's not working she's volunteering her time as a receptionist at some charitable organization.
I find this story rather sad for some reason. If I knew a person like that it would certainly not give me more incentive to work harder. If anything, it may cause me to try to get out even earlier to avoid being like them in any way. The idea that a person is morally obligated to do paid work for someone else when the person doesn't need the money boggles my mind.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
I work in an industry that is currently in a downturn, so we handed out a bunch of early retirement packages.  We speculated who would take them and who would not.  One guy who has no concept of money turned it down, b/c you would have to pay taxes on that 1 year of salary!  (It is not being paid lump sum, so its the equivalent of getting the check and not showing up for a year.)

To me, the worst one is a guy who is easily in his 70's.  He opted to pass on the package b/c he was finally getting recognition from his boss & peers for the work he's doing.  I highly doubt it, he's regarded as a PITA, but I digress.  I could never willingly continue working because my self worth is tied up in what other people think of me.  :(
Is it too late for me to join your company? I *LOVE* getting paid not to work.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »

Too late this round, but we tend to work on a 5 year cycle!  I believe that as long as your age + years of service=80 or more, you qualified.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »

Too late this round, but we tend to work on a 5 year cycle!  I believe that as long as your age + years of service=80 or more, you qualified.

That is a pretty high bar!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »
My uncle still works full time in a factory, he is maybe 73, he will work until he can't or they let him go. he knows himself and he would be bored otherwise, not really a guy with hobbies. He rode his bike to and from work for most of his life too.

He is pretty darn Mustachian, he just still works. I think for him, it's a good thing.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 11:57:19 AM »

LOL @ being on a train by 3pm and having a "long day".  3pm is lunch time for a "long day" (if you even get a lunch on those days)

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »

That is a pretty high bar!

Yup, but we have a lot of lifers here.  Or you could start working at 75-79, you'll reach the bar quick!  ;)

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 02:33:19 PM »
There are a few old people at my job, some of whom I know, all of them long-term employees who have done their time.  I've questioned those I know about when they'll retire.  One guy has OMY syndrome; another guy never answered but I suspect it's because he will lose his social life, a/k/a roaming around the floor butting into other people's lives (he's a notorious gossip and as you might have guessed I really dislike him); a third guy is waiting until his wife retires in two years.  Both the women, one of whom I know is in her mid-seventies, sadly said they couldn't retire because they're supporting deadbeat adult children and the pension wouldn't be enough to continue to support these bums.   

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 02:55:30 PM »

LOL @ being on a train by 3pm and having a "long day".  3pm is lunch time for a "long day" (if you even get a lunch on those days)

Not if your day starts before 7.  During the hottest part of the summer, we will start at 5 or 5:30 am, and people can leave anytime after 3.  Some leave right at three, others work until 5.  So by 3, it's been a long day-especially when the whole thing is spent outside.  But we're in agriculture, not construction.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »
Both the women, one of whom I know is in her mid-seventies, sadly said they couldn't retire because they're supporting deadbeat adult children and the pension wouldn't be enough to continue to support these bums.   

When they die, the adult children will have a hell of a price shock at the cost of living. I've known a few people who didn't have to get their first job until they were well into their thirties because their parents felt they needed to support their children until they died.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if that badass old lady is secretly FIRE.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if that badass old lady is secretly FIRE.

I'm sure she's financially independent and she doesn't have to work. She just wants to work. But she's definitely not retired early and has no intention of it. So FI, but not RE.

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 06:10:50 PM »
My boss is 65 and just informed us that he won't be retiring this year as promised because staying just one more year (yeah right) gives him a 2% bump in pay. We're all eligible for a pension, so his final salary *is* relevant, but I just wanted to slap him. He's a big spender and he hates his job -- he's an open book about both of those things -- and by just being a wee bit more thrifty, I have no doubt he could have saved the equivalent of that 2%.

The Beacon

• Stubble
    • Financial Freedom Tips
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 06:51:22 PM »

It really depends. My dad is stilling working @ 72. He looks forward to his work every day.  He could have retired 10 years ago.  He does not have any hobbies. His work is his hobby. He makes more than I do and I make decent money.  It is hard to find something you truly love and get good pay for it. But my dad is the only one I know around me who has never really worked a day.

CaveDweller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 07:29:33 PM »
It really depends. My dad is stilling working @ 72. He looks forward to his work every day.  He could have retired 10 years ago.  He does not have any hobbies. His work is his hobby. He makes more than I do and I make decent money.  It is hard to find something you truly love and get good pay for it. But my dad is the only one I know around me who has never really worked a day.

That's awesome. What sort of work does your dad do?

The Beacon

• Stubble
    • Financial Freedom Tips
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »

That's awesome. What sort of work does your dad do?
He leads a small group of chemists and they treat pollution.  Most people will say "Yuk". But he loves it.  Believe it or not. He has never had a vacation. 

I drag my feet  to the office every day.  I try to force myself to like my job now and then. It would work for a few days like quitting smoking. sigh....

0331vet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »

You're talking so far out of your ass it's not even funny. The typical shift for a tradesman is 06:00-14:00. So yea, he probably did have a "long day," a very long day. I'm sure your day was so strenuous sitting in your cubicle and having your lunch delayed, or maybe you didn't even get a lunch;( The horror!!!

I work for the railroad in a construction gang and I'd love to see some pretty boy talking shit after our shift ended. LOL to that. I'd wager a decent sum you wouldn't last one week on the railroad.

On topic. There's a man in our department that started on the railroad when he was 16 -some loophole back in the day, and he's a couple years north of 60 now. But he's still out there: every single day. And I'm not exaggerating when I say every day. Here's a man who has an AMAZING retirement package (wife receives 1/2 of his) and he never takes a day off.

Some people are cut from a different cloth. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:56:25 PM by 0331vet »

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 08:14:05 PM »

Construction workers schedules vary.  I have seen some of them go on the train as early as 5 to 6 am not to mention it is a physically demanding job unlike most of us here who I assume are white collar workers. 

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »

My favorite Metra drinking sight was a 40 something guy in a suit casually drinking four loko on the 9pm train one weeknight.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »
I think some of you might be surprised at how common functional alcoholism is.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 08:29:30 PM »

You're talking so far out of your ass it's not even funny. The typical shift for a tradesman is 06:00-14:00. So yea, he probably did have a "long day," a very long day. I'm sure your day was so strenuous sitting in your cubicle and having your lunch delayed, or maybe you didn't even get a lunch;( The horror!!!

I work for the railroad in a construction gang and I'd love to see some pretty boy talking shit after our shift ended. LOL to that. I'd wager a decent sum you wouldn't last one week on the railroad.

On topic. There's a man in our department that started on the railroad when he was 16 -some loophole back in the day, and he's a couple years north of 60 now. But he's still out there: every single day. And I'm not exaggerating when I say every day. Here's a man who has an AMAZING retirement package (wife receives 1/2 of his) and he never takes a day off.

You're right, i'm talking out of my ass.  I've never worked longer than a 5 hour shift, and don't even know what manual labor is. Clearly you know everything about me including my life story and work history, from one message you read in an internet forum.  Your job is probably the most difficult and strenuous job in history, honestly I don't even know how you've survived, you must be some kind of superman.  You probably have a much larger penis than me too. 

Getting on a train at 6am, and getting back on the train at 3pm is NOT a "long day".  That's a 9 hour day, which is pretty close to a standard work day.  Try pulling a 22 hour shift in a steel mill.

The Beacon

• Stubble
    • Financial Freedom Tips
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
Try pulling a 22 hour shift in a steel mill.

Did you actually do it?  I believe your Dad might have done that. I thought all factories have been moved to China.  On a side note, that is not really a long day.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 05:51:31 AM »

Did you actually do it?  I believe your Dad might have done that. I thought all factories have been moved to China.  On a side note, that is not really a long day.

Yes.  We have US Steel and AK Steel (formerly Seversal) in detroit.  I don't actually work for a steel mill, but I am contracted to do environmental testing at them.  I suppose 22 hours isn't that long of a day, considering there are 24 hours in a day. 

The Beacon

• Stubble
    • Financial Freedom Tips
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 06:22:55 AM »

Yes.  We have US Steel and AK Steel (formerly Seversal) in detroit.  I don't actually work for a steel mill, but I am contracted to do environmental testing at them.  I suppose 22 hours isn't that long of a day, considering there are 24 hours in a day.

I actually meant to say "3AM to  6PM is just a regular day like 9AM-5PM".

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 06:36:09 AM »

In my profession there are numerous elderly (70+) men still full-throatedly running their practices. They're absolutely my "what not to do" model. I know that some of them have very substantial assets (they chit-chat about their vacation homes) but I assume they either have associated substantial debts, or high spending, or just don't know how to stop.

A fair few are downright incompetent in terms of how the law has changed, which is hard to watch. I'm sure they were top of the game twenty years ago, but that's just not how it works anymore. When I'm getting documents that have been typed on a typewriter, undoubtedly by the elderly gentleman's wife or sister, and they're barely a few lines long--why are you even still practicing? Why do people still hire you?

The worst thing is watching the ones who've kept their competence (and, probably relatedly, their kindness) but are quickly losing their health. I've had multiple trial sittings postponed because ancient counsel are in hospital or physically can't sit through days of court. Worse: every single one of them has come right back to work after (more or less) recovering, sometimes within a day or two of leaving the hospital. I truly like many of these men, and I wish that they would retire and have a restful life at home, with their loved ones--not run themselves into the ground working.

(I've also spoken to women who were back in the office within a week or two of having a baby, which makes me feel physically ill--the overwork instinct of the average lawyer exists in all kinds of troubling forms. And this, by the way, is in Canada, which has extremely good parental leave laws, though admittedly they don't apply to self-employed persons who opt out of paying into Employment Insurance.)

Even if I never pull the ER trigger, I never, ever want to be the person people look at and think, "why haven't you retired?" with either "you deserve the rest" or "you've lost your competence, if you ever had it" tucked onto the end.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:30:31 AM by MLKnits »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 06:45:14 AM »
Well, crap. I'd have to come work for 22 years to hit that bar. Guess what I don't plan on doing for 22 more years... ;)

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 06:58:28 AM »

I would think that this behavior, while not exactly mustachian, is still better than going to the pub for a few pints. At least this minimizes costs.

If he really wanted to minimize costs he'd pack a water bottle of vodka, but I'm not sure that's what we'd call a good idea.

(Man, I have no problem with drinking alone--I live alone, so it's just practical--but downing five beers on the train? That sort of screams "problem.")

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
Well, crap. I'd have to come work for 22 years to hit that bar. Guess what I don't plan on doing for 22 more years... ;)
Well, on a more positive note, a married couple who has worked here for roughly 30 years, is completing their last day of work today!  They were stuck in OMY syndrome for the past few years, but were honest that they simply didn't want to cover their insurance premiums.  The package takes care of that until they meet the requirements for Medicare.  I'd guess late 50's for both of them.  Not super FIRE by this forum's standards, but I'm soo happy for them!

A co-worker asked me if I was jealous; he apparently was.  He also doesn't contribute the full 4% required to get the 150% match on the 401K.  Lost cause, and no way am I telling him my FIRE plans!!  I hope to be done in 3-5 years, and I'm not going to be anywhere near my late 50's at that time.  :)

Misstachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 09:05:01 PM »

0331vet,

Since this was your first post, you may not be aware of the forum rules. Frugalnacho is quite capable of taking care of himself, but it's nicer for the whole community if we abide by them.

Rules 1 & 2:
1. Don't be a jerk.
2. Attack an argument, not a person.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 02:15:42 AM »
The official retirement age (more or less mandatory) here is 65, but in my 6 years in the company I'm yet to see anyone last that long. The business is kind of cyclical and whenever there is a downturn the first option to reduce the head count is early retirement and reduction in temporary positions. It happened again very recently with several co-workers (ages 59-62) sent into early retirement. They got a pretty generous compensation to their pension package albeit not quite as much as they would have gotten for working another 4-5 years. One guy I know was about to retire this year anyway, but kept it quiet so that he would also get a compensation package. Another is also financially set, but would have preferred to work few more years. The third one might be in some difficulties because of a divorce and still a young kid (8) at home. In any case if you are not ready here at 60 then you are asking for trouble. Of course I'm planing to be ready a lot sooner than that...

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 06:12:21 AM »

I love when office people think that...

I've also done the 22hr day before and most people couldn't pick up my tool bag afterwards let alone themselves out of bed. Work 22hrs, sleep in the truck for 2hrs, work for 16hrs, sleep, work 16hrs. 'Stache, 'stache, 'stache. Can't wait for FI, so I can not care what the "schedule" (written by someone who hasn't ever picked up a tool) says we should get done.

As far as Metra drinking, my fav was always two tall boys (24oz) for the hour and a half ride. It's easy to forget about work by the time you're home when you're drunk. I didn't do that for long, by the time you factored in train beers everyday, it was cheaper to drive and it shaved an hour total off the commute.

takeahike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 08:31:29 AM »
My dad worked at a paper mill for 45 years. He should have had piles of money for retirement for all the overtime and 12 hour shifts he worked. He rarely took vacation and chose to spend his vacation checks on stuff he'd purchased the previous year in anticipation of the vacation check. :( He's been retired a few years but only because he was forced by the plant closure. He made good money and just spent every damn dime. It kills me. He's still DOING THAT!

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »

I find this story rather sad for some reason. If I knew a person like that it would certainly not give me more incentive to work harder. If anything, it may cause me to try to get out even earlier to avoid being like them in any way. The idea that a person is morally obligated to do paid work for someone else when the person doesn't need the money boggles my mind.

Wow, that story is very sad.  I agree 100% with Posthumane.  We have a partner at my firm in his 60s who is a total workaholic.  One weekend about a year ago, he was alone in the office and realized he was having a heart attack.  Soon after recovery, he's right back to always being in the office again.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »
I have a co-worker who's pretty close to 60. I had an opportunity to find out her retirement plans. She and her husband are paying off their mortgage, then planning on retiring. They could retire now, but they're dealing with her elderly mother and are more comfortable having the paychecks coming in still.

I don't know if I'd do the same in their position, but I like her and am glad to hear that they have thought it out.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 08:22:20 AM »
Just for clarification 60 isn't old!   Says the 55 year old man. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »

My father used to carpool with a guy like this -- they worked the graveyard shift together, and he'd drink a six pack of beer in the car between leaving work and getting home every morning.

Dad drove.

Ah the good ole days.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 09:18:46 PM »

Dad drove.

Ah the good ole days.

I yearn for the good ol' days and I wasn't around for them. I think everyone would chill the fuck out and the world would be a happier place if they could still have a couple beers at lunch time. It puts a smile on my face when I open a wall up and find a beer can.

Damn insurance companies...

h2ogal

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2015, 10:48:45 PM »
Ah the good old days...they were terrible....reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

louloulou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
I used to work with a nurse who was 78, one day I asked her why she was still working, her reply was "because otherwise I would have to spend the whole day with my husband" (said in seriousness not joking), I was like "wow, I think I would just get a divorce!"

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2015, 01:31:35 PM »
I used to work with a nurse who was 78, one day I asked her why she was still working, her reply was "because otherwise I would have to spend the whole day with my husband" (said in seriousness not joking), I was like "wow, I think I would just get a divorce!"
Maybe she wants to spend time with other people.  It's "for better or for worse", but not for every single second.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!