Author Topic: 6 Things Rich People Need to Stop Saying  (Read 7272 times)

shedinator

• Bristles
6 Things Rich People Need to Stop Saying
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-things-rich-people-need-to-stop-saying/

It's a fun read. Given the current political climate, I can see this becoming a left vs. right thing, but I just enjoyed the overall attitude of the author, and the first "thing" on the list is very anti-mustachian.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
Re: 6 Things Rich People Need to Stop Saying
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »
Politics aside, I'm constantly amazed by people who say #1. And I HAVE heard it, in real life. I've survived on less than $15K a year and you're telling me you can't make it on $450,000? That just *barely* pays your bills? Really?

I mean it's one thing to say "I want to make more than my $450,000 salary". Okay, fine, rock on. But to claim that you NEED more than that because you can't survive on less? Ur doin it wrong.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
That was brilliant.  There are like 10 MMM posts in there.

Thanks for sharing.

MountainMan

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »
I've personally heard, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1.  Not three.  But I have a lot of years yet on this planet.  I haven't lost hope that I will hear #3 someday.

Mike Key

• Stubble
  • Entrepreneur & Adventure Seeker
    • Tiny House - Big Backyard
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »
Wow, the author of that article makes me wonder. I guess we're all just lucky on this forum, we should shut up about our mustachian ways, it's pure luck of the draw.

Grigory

• Stubble
  • (rhymes with "story")
    • my attempt at blogging
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »
Interesting article. Incredibly biased, but interesting. While I agree that some rich people are hypocritical cry babies who will be put against the wall when the revolution comes, there are some who aren't. Making sweeping statements against everyone who is rich is just as bad as making blanket statements against all the poor. It's a highly complex issue, and a short cracked.com article is far from the ultimate answer. Yes, a lot of rich people made their fortunes through sheer luck and being in the right time and place. (See Warren Buffett and Michael Jordan.) But there are those who really did work hard for their money and earned every last cent with their blood, sweat and tears. Yes, the rich should pay taxes at the same rate as the rest of us. But the government is horrible when it comes to spending: there's too much waste and not enough progress. If all the problems could be solved with money alone, a lot of the issues that plague our society (discrimination, horrible schools, etc.) would have been solved a long time ago.

I don't pretend to know the answer, but it sure as hell isn't one-sided bashing...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »
Interesting and, at times, amusing.

Thanks for sharing!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

menorman

• Stubble
    • Marven's Money Musings
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:04:54 AM »
I really was somewhat unimpressed by this article that was linked out of the first bullet point. Quite honestly, if I were in Congress during the bailout talks, I would've simply refused to vote to authorize anything that didn't limit executive compensation (including bonuses) at any firm receiving government funds to be no more than the benefit package available to Congress until every last cent is repaid. Sure, some lower-level execs might've had a to not take a private jet on vacation this year. But at the same time, I have little sympathy for those arguments. The fact that the government has to step in means that the company is about to fail if left to the free market. If the company is failing, all those execs would be out of jobs anyway, so a pay cut could be more desirable than the alternative. If the company feels like "rewarding top talent", the best available option is to repay the government immediately so they can get back to the business of bonuses. Should be much easier to do with the reduced payroll costs.

Mirwen

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »
Yep.  I do tax prep this time of year and I have to hear (and sympathize with) all the people complaining about how they only made 100k instead of their usual 150k and they had to "suffer" because they had no savings -nada.  Ugh.  I just want to tell them I make 38k and save nearly 30% WTF are you doing wrong!?

Scratch that.  I know what they are doing wrong.  They take out loans to put in a pool and buy three new trailblazers.  Not much left over after paying the bills now, huh?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!