Author Topic: 5k for a chair  (Read 12294 times)

orangenotebook

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
5k for a chair
« on: May 30, 2015, 09:25:51 AM »
Tweet from a friend that just spent $5,000 ON A CHAIR. (Pic attached)

Norrie

• Bristles
Re: 5k for a chair
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »
That's some chair! (As Charlotte's Web would say.)
I hope that his ass gets $5,000 worth of pleasure from it.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »
I have one of those on my "win the powerball" list.  To some people, design is important.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »
looks nicer than any of the furniture i own - not my style of decor though.
Hope your friend has a good deal of savings/investments

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »
And I was thinking this thread would be about couch to 5k. Ouch.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »
And I was thinking this thread would be about couch to 5k. Ouch.

Chair 5k.  Vroom vroom!

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »
I have to fess up - I have one.  I bought it used from an antique shop 12 years ago.  What can I say?  I fell in with a design crowd!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 04:44:35 PM »
Good thing I was sitting down when I read this.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 04:48:47 PM »
Where's the ball massager?  For 10K there's a ball massager, right?

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 06:32:41 PM »
Putting aside the design (to each his own, and I don't think it looks that great), and the ridiculous price, is it at least comfortable?
Or is it purely made to look at, not actually use? What a waste of money...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 08:37:59 PM »
Putting aside the design (to each his own, and I don't think it looks that great), and the ridiculous price, is it at least comfortable?
Or is it purely made to look at, not actually use? What a waste of money...

I've sat in one before, and yes, it is comfortable.

On one hand, $5,000 is a fuck-ton to spend on a chair. On the other hand, that's one of the most famous chair designs in existence, and even (genuine) used ones sell for thousands of dollars. In that sense, it's not as expensive as it seems because you'll probably get most of your money back when you sell it. Not to mention, it's inherently expensive to construct: even third-party "reproductions" cost about $1000 (but probably don't hold their value as well).

I have to admit, I want one (but I'd only buy it if I could find a used one being sold by somebody who didn't know what they had, or after I'm FI).

Since I'm not FI, I own a Poang instead!

margarita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 05:41:26 AM »
Although I would never spend that kind of money on a chair, it is one of the most famous chair designs and very classic.  I personally think it is gorgeous and it is very comfortable and will retain a lot of it's value - exactly how much I am not sure. 

Before looking at the photo I was picturing some overstuffed leather pillowy chair with massage, drink holder, built in tv or something and was actually pleasantly surprised. 

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 05:49:28 AM »
This person may be able to afford it, but stories like this make me continuously wonder why there isn't a revolt yet in the US over income inequality. This some sum would take someone working a crappy job getting paid $10/hr four months of full time work to purchase.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »
He plans to keep it for life...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »

On one hand, $5,000 is a fuck-ton to spend on a chair. On the other hand, that's one of the most famous chair designs in existence, and even (genuine) used ones sell for thousands of dollars. In that sense, it's not as expensive as it seems because you'll probably get most of your money back when you sell it. Not to mention, it's inherently expensive to construct: even third-party "reproductions" cost about $1000 (but probably don't hold their value as well).

Many years ago I dated a girl who came from a New England blue-blood family.  Her father would go to antique auctions and drop $3k on a period-specific dresser made by some special person and not bat eye at the price.  Then he openly mocked us for spending $1k at IKEA nad 'wasting our money'.  When he moved they sold most of their furniture for far more than they had paid.  When we moved we got maybe 50% back for the larger items and quite a bit less for the smaller ones.

Taught me an interesting lesson about how the very wealthy "old money" view everyday purchases - never buy something that goes down in value... works when you have lots of moeny to begin with I suppose.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »
I just did a quick search, and it looks like ones of my vintage and wood are selling for between a third more than what I paid up to double what I paid.  So rather than a wasteful indulgence, I shall now view my chair as a very wise investment.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 02:52:15 PM »
To be fair, those chairs are goddamn comfortable.... But, you can get replicas for "only" $700ish that are just as comfortable.

Still, I'm envious. I would never get up if I had an Eames lounge...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
I hope that his ass gets $5,000 worth of pleasure from it.

I think that's illegal in some states.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:34 PM »
Lol great thread. I can really see so many sides to this story... it's a fabulous chair, but wouldn't you rather be retired, sitting outside on the grass instead? I think that too often we are buying luxury items to make ourselves feel better about having to work.

This chair makes me think of the Diderot Effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vGLo_VTVv8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diderot_effect

I could never buy a chair like that, because then I would have to upgrade EVERYTHING. I mean, you can't wear your free cheapo jeans while sitting in a chair like that!!

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 08:44:36 AM »
I just did a quick search, and it looks like ones of my vintage and wood are selling for between a third more than what I paid up to double what I paid.  So rather than a wasteful indulgence, I shall now view my chair as a very wise investment.

Counterpoint -- you bought it 12 years ago.  Think of the opportunity cost -- had you instead invested that money in the market it would be worth 175% more, versus a range of 33-100% more, a risk that you can't find a willing buyer at a fair price, and probable ebay/broker fees.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 02:04:14 PM »

I could never buy a chair like that, because then I would have to upgrade EVERYTHING. I mean, you can't wear your free cheapo jeans while sitting in a chair like that!!

Jeans? What about the house that it is in, only a proper McMansion will be a suitable to house such a chair....

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 06:52:37 AM »

Jeans? What about the house that it is in, only a proper McMansion will be a suitable to house such a chair....

And the lamp beside the chair, and the hardwood flooring it's on... Etc etc

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 07:07:07 AM »

Chairs like that are not found in typical McMancsions. You need something nicer than that.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 07:25:03 AM »
I didn't know they were that expensive.  I have one and it is super comfy for reading.  Guess I should take good care of it!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »

Chairs like that are not found in typical McMancsions. You need something nicer than that.

Actually, chairs like that are typically found in mid-century modern ranch houses... the same kind of house MMM lives in.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »

Actually, chairs like that are typically found in mid-century modern ranch houses... the same kind of house MMM lives in.

We're currently renovating a MCM house, and I absolutely covet one of those chairs for a corner in the (finished) basement.  Unfortunately, because I'm renovating the house, I can't afford one.  But someday. 

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »
We also have the Poang version.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 05:13:44 PM »
The most important question.  Why am I not in the chair design business?

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »
Love that design-will definitely be getting one in the future (maybe after FI?)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
We also have the Poang version.

Love the poang. Cups the buttocks delightfully

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 07:57:16 AM »
The most important question.  Why am I not in the chair design business?

Because for every Eames lounge chair (or even Poang) there are thousands of designs that nobody gives a crap about.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »

I think a MCM house is nicer than most McMansion. It's hard to find a house from that period that someone hasn't gutted.  At least around here.  MMM's house looks incrediblely luxurious based on his TV interview.

orangenotebook

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »
I thought I was on MMM. Who are you people? This is a chair that costs $5,000, I don't care how comfortable it is.

zoltani

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »
I thought I was on MMM. Who are you people? This is a chair that costs $5,000, I don't care how comfortable it is.

Obvious this thread is filled with people that can appreciate design.

Yeah, i probably wouldn't buy it, but i sure can appreciate it. If you got the cash, are in a secure financial position, and value design and comfort, then go for it. After all THAT is what the site is all about, making your own decisions about what is important to YOU.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »

Even if that is true, other posters have pointed out that you can get a replica that is just as comfortable for $700 (still friggin' expensive, mind you). What is the other $4300 paying for? My money is on status.

zoltani

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »

Even if that is true, other posters have pointed out that you can get a replica that is just as comfortable for $700 (still friggin' expensive, mind you). What is the other $4300 paying for? My money is on status.

The extra $4,300 buys you some friend shaming, apparently!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »

The extra $4,300 buys you some friend shaming, apparently!

I don't completely disagree, but many of the knockoffs don't have as many good components. I recall looking for an alternative for the Aeron. I wasn't going to ask for my company to pay for $600 chair, but I couldn't find anything that could work for much less. Instead, I just elevated my keyboard and monitor and decided to stand.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 01:07:42 AM »
I grew up with that chair.  My mother was a design journalist and someone gave her one.  Here's the thing.  It's comfortable only if you're sitting in one position.  It's not like a regular chair where you can shift around in it and lean this way or that way.  It's balanced so you can't really lean forward in the thing.  Or to the side.  You can sit in the single position the chair wants you to sit in, and that's that.  I'd pay not to have one.

Tieke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 02:07:37 AM »

This.  You can't even SEE most of a chair while you're sitting in it.  Unless you're sitting on your head.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 04:45:27 AM »
Chairs are for sitting in.  If they look extra nice, that is a bonus.  Would you put beautiful shoes on your feet that cause pain in 2 minutes?

Still, it is a LOT of money for a chair that makes you sit in one position. 

This.  You can't even SEE most of a chair while you're sitting in it.  Unless you're sitting on your head.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »
I don't completely disagree, but many of the knockoffs don't have as many good components. I recall looking for an alternative for the Aeron. I wasn't going to ask for my company to pay for $600 chair, but I couldn't find anything that could work for much less. Instead, I just elevated my keyboard and monitor and decided to stand.

I have to admit, I just bought myself an Aeron chair (used, for about $260). I'm starting a new job next week and will be working from home (at least for a while), and between that and the fact that I spend lots of time on the computer anyway I decided it was worth it. And I was right -- it's incredibly comfortable. I regret nothing!

I will accept facepunches for buying a second one for my wife though, since she won't use hers as much as I'll use mine.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »
I can understand why someone would buy it. It's a well-designed, iconic chair. An ex-girlfriend of mine had parents who were both architects, and they had a vintage Eames chair in their living room. I'm a hobbyist furniture builder, so I was excited to see one in person. After taking it for a test drive, in my opinion, Argyle is right:

It's comfortable only if you're sitting in one position.

As lovely as it is, I have no desire to own an Eames chair. However, if I came across one at a dirt cheap price, I would probably buy it and keep it, because it is nice to look at. I would rather have a Maloof chair, but of course, they cost about 5 times as much as an Eames...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!