Author Topic: 50/50 Travel Show "Winners" Get $50,000 Two-Day Vacation  (Read 2206 times)

rudimentsofgruel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
50/50 Travel Show "Winners" Get $50,000 Two-Day Vacation
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:03:59 AM »
There is a new "game (reality?)" show where the hosts ask random people on the street if they can leave immediately, and if they do, they take them on a 2-day vacation valued at $50,000. Let's forget for a moment the insanity of spending $25,000 a day for travel and the fact that at our current level of spending we could travel for over four and a half years on $50K. Let's look at the reality for the "winners". They have to pay taxes, which is taxed as regular income. Let's also assume married filing jointly and no other income that year, the taxes (Fed alone) come out to $4,688. That is what Brandy and I spend in about 156 days of travel in Mexico. On just the Federal taxes! Those taxes would be higher for a single person or if they have any additional income. So the real question is, who would do it??
Actually, I could think of a scenario where you are able to use the $50,000 to do some crazy expensive thing that you've always wanted to do, but couldn't afford. Then ~$5,000 might be a bargain, but they were talking about going to Maine!! Even if you were going somewhere amazing and remote, it's only for two days, so hardly seems worth it.

rudimentsofgruel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 50/50 Travel Show "Winners" Get $50,000 Two-Day Vacation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:05:12 AM »
"... take them on an opulent adventure to Abu Dhabi. Will they choose a 24K facial or gold camel burger?"

Ugh

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »
Yep - let's take a trip to my local credit union where you can video me depositing that $50K into my bank account.

Later I'll show you what paying off my mortgage/student loan/whatever looks like...

YAY!

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
Do you get too take your partner and kids? Pick the location?

Easy. Trip to Antarctica. Not a flyover or sail along the coast. Want to actually walk on the continent. Preferably within the Antarctic Circle, but I won't be too demanding. Also, the two day clock starts once I set foot on Antarctica, and ends when I leave; I'm not going to use up my whole two days getting there and back!

I'll gladly pay taxes on $50k for that.