Author Topic: 4WD Insanity!  (Read 6903 times)

parkette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
4WD Insanity!
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »
My BIL and SIL have been test driving 2-3 year old Land Rovers in the $50,000-$60,000 range. BIL has been working on getting SIL on board for awhile, as he would like to do some 4-wheel driving (somewhere- no plans yet). They live in the suburbs of Melbourne, just bought a 980k house and just had their second daughter. BIL is about to move to part-time to take care of their girls while SIL starts her job as a recently certified midwife (this will be a pay cut).

BIL had to really work at getting SIL on board to buy (or, rather, have the bank buy) this. The rub is that he would have been fine with a $15k 4WD, but since she's on board he needs to get something new(er) and shiny. UGH! $35k extra for new and shiny!!

I've been trying not to judge (how can I NOT!)... the rest of the family (except my husband and I) seem to think this is a great idea since he's put so much thought and research into it. BIL gets obsessed with doing one thing or another, drops a load of cash on buying accessories, then within a short period moves onto something else. <cringe>

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 4WD Insanity!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »
Anything with the name "Rover" in it, might be the worst car to own ever.   Sure they're fantastic off-road vehicles, I wouldn't argue with that.   But, from a maintenance standpoint, they break all the time, and the stuff that breaks is very expensive.

If he really has his heart set on a rover, tell him to get an older (10 years or so) discovery.   In the states they go for less than $6,000.   That leaves enough money left over for a new front shaft, head gasket and resetting the three amigos light every 9 months or so.

If he really wants a high end off road vehicle, tell him to get a Toyota Land Cruiser.   They're about the same price new, and they last forever.   Just ask any 3rd world revolutionary.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »
Anything with the name "Rover" in it, might be the worst car to own ever.   Sure they're fantastic off-road vehicles, I wouldn't argue with that.   But, from a maintenance standpoint, they break all the time, and the stuff that breaks is very expensive.

If he really has his heart set on a rover, tell him to get an older (10 years or so) discovery.   In the states they go for less than $6,000.   That leaves enough money left over for a new front shaft, head gasket and resetting the three amigos light every 9 months or so.

If he really wants a high end off road vehicle, tell him to get a Toyota Land Cruiser.   They're about the same price new, and they last forever.   Just ask any 3rd world revolutionary.

Ey, don't knock Rover! I had a Metro and 214, both very decent cars! My mum has one still and it's fine!

Saying that, my grandfather went from having a Range Rover on the farm to having a Daihatsu...

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
My parents once bought a Ford Explorer with the intent of using it to go off-roading on a beach several hours away. I think they only ended up doing this twice in the entire lifetime of the car, with the rest of its miles spent on the highway or commuting. Such a waste.

Do these people realize what kinds of gear, rules, etc. are required for this kind of thing in their area? Have they ever ACTUALLY been off-roading with someone else?

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
The original LandRovers (up to 1985) are still some of the finest vehicles ever made (along with the Toyota Hilux and for many of the same reasons).  I'd take a 1985 landrover with a decent maintenance record over many new SUVs - pretty sure you can run landrovers on chip grease and kerosene if you need to :)

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »
Ok Ok, I meant any of the Rovers you can buy in America.   The classic british rovers are beasts and I'd love to be able to afford one.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 06:58:16 PM »
Ok Ok, I meant any of the Rovers you can buy in America.   The classic british rovers are beasts and I'd love to be able to afford one.

Typically, what happened was that a good product failed due to short term lack of interest.. got sold off cheaply.. then rebounded.

Range Rover and Jaguar are owned by Tata. (They also own Tetley tea which.. actually.. makes sense as it comes from India!).

I cannot say how much I despise the 'Chelsea Tractors' as they are known in the UK.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »

Typically, what happened was that a good product failed due to short term lack of interest.. got sold off cheaply.. then rebounded.

Range Rover and Jaguar are owned by Tata. (They also own Tetley tea which.. actually.. makes sense as it comes from India!).

I cannot say how much I despise the 'Chelsea Tractors' as they are known in the UK.

The only good thing is that they're incredibly cheap to buy here, the closest we can get to the classic rover is the defender 90.    But I think those were banned in about '97 because they didn't conform to safety standards (I think front airbags were the issue).   So now if you see one in good shape, it's going for $40,000+.

A jeep wrangler is about the closest you'll get in the us, which are also overpriced IMHO.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 04:30:30 AM »
If they somehow keep up with their bills, is it a big deal? Their money, their wasted lives paying for things. Well, that is how we see it... They may not.

If you do want them to change course I suggest a less expensive distraction. Show him how much cooler custom Jeeps are. And any real off-roader should be kept as a toy, not daily transport. They tend to break!

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 05:12:17 AM »
If they somehow keep up with their bills, is it a big deal?

I think you've missed the point of this section of the forum:  it's the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy."  It's not the "Live and Let Live Wall of MYOB."

theSchmett

• Stubble
Re: 4WD Insanity
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »
Trina - too right. My bad.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
Well the delightfully entertaining part of the story is that this delusionally entitled crew wants a Range Rover to do a bit of off-roading. Now the great part of being a North American RR owner is that you are kind enough to self-identify as a pretentious douche bag. The best part of THIS story is that we have a wannabee pretentious douche bag that is lusting after a USED Rover.

Now, as any enthusiast knows, when it comes to automotive lust, there are poor choices, really poor choices, and finally there are Rover owners. Most recent Rover owners, however, are of a certain "station" in life and have enough experience to know that the rolling piece of shit, "lifestyle statement" they drive  isn't something that one relies on, or plans on keeping for a decade to pass on to Buffy, or  Conner, when they are ready to drive. No, it's something they lease for a few years, and tolerate as an unreliable shitbox, since
     #1 it is a prestigious statement vehicle that shows the world who I am ( a douche bag)
     #2 the dealer lathers their buttocks and gives them a great loaner every time their car breaks, which is stunningly often.
 After 36 months, the lease is up, and  the dealer is right there  for more ass lathering, and a "too good to pass up" offer on a new "prestigious" shitbox. and the cycle repeats.

In this case however, dear BIL is lusting after a real peach. A used POS that is not only priced at 2-3X it's real value, but one that is old enough to be out of warranty, and young enough to still be grossly overpriced. I predict that he will end up with a nearly insufferable mortgage on this piece of garbage, and will, in short order, really learn what the "Rover experience" is all about. After a few $3-5K repair bills for issues that simply do not exist in most modern, reliable automobiles, the urge to go and do some of that badass "four wheeling" will pass and be replaced with a pit in his stomach, and the nearly unanswerable question, "how do I dump this POS without getting my ass handed to me?" Sad, because the answer is, you can't.

unfortunately, you can't talk your BIL out of something this stupid, but it would be less stressful and less of a financial loss if he just piled $20s up in a nice mound till he hit $10K and burned them, since that's about 1/2 of what he is going to loose in the next year of Rover ownership.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »
It won't be new and shiny for long if he is going to be off roading with it. I'm still in shock over the price of his house!

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
One of the lowest resale values of any cars.  The new ones are not good offroad, 20" mags don't hold up to rocks or anything.  I think I'm yet to see a rover newer then 1990 with anything that resembles a mud or snow tire.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »
With any luck at all, they will go four-wheeling, break down somewhere a long ways from 'civilization', and either have a long walk back or provide the coyotes* & buzzards with a good lunch.

* Just noticed the OP's in Australia, so make that the dingos and whatever fills your airborne scavenger niche.

And I know this is off-topic, but how the heck do you manage to have a brother-in-law and sister-in-law who're married to each other?

parkette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
With any luck at all, they will go four-wheeling, break down somewhere a long ways from 'civilization', and either have a long walk back or provide the coyotes* & buzzards with a good lunch.

* Just noticed the OP's in Australia, so make that the dingos and whatever fills your airborne scavenger niche.

And I know this is off-topic, but how the heck do you manage to have a brother-in-law and sister-in-law who're married to each other?

Well, I can't say I wish an untimely end for them, just better financial decisions :)

As far as having a BIL and SIL married to each other, easy! Just marry your BIL's brother!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!