Author Topic: 4 dozen Easter Eggs?  (Read 5901 times)

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
4 dozen Easter Eggs?
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
This is petty and kind of ridiculous, but I thought maybe some of my fellow frugalistas might be as pained by the waste as I am.  My MIL colored a dozen eggs with my daughter last week, all of which will be thrown out.  She plans to make 3 dozen MORE of them with her today.  OK, I can go with 1 dozen, but FOUR???  I'm thinking of making egg salad, but, since I'm the only one who will eat it, I don't think I'll be able to use up 3 dozen eggs.  Any suggestions for how to keep from wasting all those eggs?  How long do refrigerated hard boiled eggs last?  How long do they last outside of the frig?

Thanks for letting me vent.  ;-)

No Name Guy

• Bristles
Re: 4 dozen Easter Eggs?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:32:06 AM »
try googling "how long do hard boiled eggs last".  It seems there's quite a bit of information out there.

YMMV.

MtnGal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
Can you make deviled eggs with them for Easter? Kids usually think they are fun because the outside of the whites get dyed.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »
Ummm...deviled eggs.  Also potato salad calls for quite a few eggs.  I think they'll keep a pretty long time in the fridge.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »
Yes!  Deviled eggs.  Also, there's a salad that my grandma used to make: head of romaine lettuce, can of black olives (pitted) and mash together a bunch of hard-boiled eggs with some mayo and celery salt.  Mix the whole thing together for a tasty salad.  I can't imagine doing a whole bunch of hard-boiled eggs with the intention of throwing them out.

Crash87

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
The oldest I've let eggs get without eating them is about 5 weeks old. I had no issues.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »
In my experience they only last a week after they've been hard boiled -- much less than their shelf life raw.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »
Make pickled eggs.  They are delicious.  Just use Google for recipes. 

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »
I always boil 5 eggs Sunday afternoon and keep them in the fridge all week. I pull one up and dice it into my lunch salad daily. So, at least 6 days they are good in the fridge.

Out of the fridge I don't think they would last one day-well, they do, but others say they are not good

4 dozen eggs is excessive and what is a fun event for a child will surely become a tedious task when there are 48 freaking eggs to colour!!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:10:56 AM »
My mom would use a pin to knock a small hole in each end of the egg and blow out the goop out before dying and decorating easter eggs.  Then we would have scrambled eggs for a couple days!  Gets around the issue of stuff going bad . . .

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:04 AM »
My mom would use a pin to knock a small hole in each end of the egg and blow out the goop out before dying and decorating easter eggs.  Then we would have scrambled eggs for a couple days!  Gets around the issue of stuff going bad . . .

That's a good idea.  I think we'll do that next year.  I boiled around 30 eggs and my kids had a blast dying them.  It wasn't tedious at all.  They probably ate 10 of them that day.  I'm fairly certain that we'll eat them all before they go bad.  However, they would have LOVED to dye more and my daughter is bummed that her creations won't last. 

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »
The oldest I've let eggs get without eating them is about 5 days old. I had no issues.

I love eggs.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »
i do this year round and then usually have a bunch of eggs to color for the cub scout easter egg hunt. 

truevalentine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 11:46:14 PM »
Next year use the excess eggs for a lesson in giving with your daughter.  I have in the past boiled an excess of eggs then created little Easter baskets with my daughter ( a couple of eggs, a couple of dollars, maybe a baked treat in a strawberry basket).  We then drove around to the places we often see homeless people and I let her hand them out telling the people "Happy Easter".  Most of the people seemed greatful to be seen and all were very nice to her.  She was super proud of herself, and we found it heart warming when we watched one man peel open an egg to share with his pup as we drove away.