Author Topic: 3000 sq. ft. closet  (Read 11883 times)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
3000 sq. ft. closet
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »
http://blog.neimanmarcus.com/theresa-roemer/

In fairness, the three-story space including champagne bar doubles as an event space for fundraising. We hope being boozed up while surrounded by lots and lots of high-dollar fashion induces her guests to open their wallets for charity!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: 3000 sq. ft. closet
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »
I don't care how much money this woman has ,,,,,imo she has issues!

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
This is messed up. I can fit my last 5 living arrangements into her closet.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
Just live your own life. People around here are way too concerned about what everyone else does

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:53:03 PM »
Excessive, yes, but I can't deny it is breathtaking!

surfhb

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 09:00:04 PM »
In short, she basically a highly overpriced hooker

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 02:13:26 AM »
It kind of makes me wonder... does she ever wear/use clothes/shoes/handbags more than once?

Also 3000ft2 is larger than most houses I think...

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
In short, she basically a highly overpriced hooker

It seems that she is actually a successful entrepreneur in her own right, and buys all of this crap with her own money.  Not in any way defending the excessive consumerism, but ultimately it's better than gold-digging.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »
And it has a champagne bar!  I might drink a glass of sparkling wine in my closet tonight because it sounds fun. 

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »
What? She's totally a hidden Mustachian!

"There’s no reason for me to have this amazing, gorgeous closet if I can’t do fundraisers in it, too, right?” says Roemer.

Multipurposing FTW!

The Borgs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »
And it has a champagne bar!  I might drink a glass of sparkling wine in my closet tonight because it sounds fun.

I guess I could have a glass of wine in my wardrobe, my husband might look at me strangely as I sit amongst the clothes next to the box of tools, but I'm willing to try anything once.

I looked at her closet and realised that there are some rich people I can relate to and some I can't, simply because even with a ludicrous amount of money I couldn't imagine having that volume of stuff. It tickles me to wonder what she'd make of my wardrobe, with 1 handbag and pants I share with my husband (we're the same size).

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »
I don't care how much money this woman has ,,,,,imo she has issues!
Yeah, I have to agree.  She looks like she's had some not-so-good work done on her face -- she has that tightly-pulled look.  I can believe that some women really, really value looking nice and spend a lot of time and money putting their best foot forward, but this is so far beyond reality that it's hard to believe. 

And holding parties in her closet?  That's just a way of showing off her wealth.  The fact that they're fundraisers is particularly absurd; if she were genuinely concerned about these charities, she could simply forego buying a couple purses and donate that money! 

The comments say that her closet is every woman's dream.  No, not even close.  I'm sure she would disbelieve that and say it was sour grapes. 

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »
As a custom cabinet maker, I applaud her! :) I'm doing a rather large closet for a client right now, not as large as that one, but large.

Good way to make a living (even without a four year degree).

Jon

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »
Some people live in a different world, don't they?

crispy

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »
I can't get past the pictured Louboutin shoes - they look like a bad craft project yet they probably cost more than our monthly income. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »
So she helps people in Malawi but yet spends how much on a pair of shoes? It seems like you would almost need a split personality to go to where she has seen such need even for basic necessities like water, yet feel it is OK to spend so much on (frivolous frooferies) on oneself. I'd be like, wow this one pair of shoes can provide water for an entire village. Nah, I need another 100th pair of shoes...

I would like to know how much she has given to charities via philanthropies/entrepeneurship/parties etc relative to how much her 3000 sq feet closet (500K) and clothes and accessories (?) cost.  If they are not somewhat approximate I would just say her philanthropic enterprises (ie fundraising in her closet) is more likely a write off or rationalization.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:53:40 PM by partgypsy »

crispy

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
So she helps people in Malawi but yet spends how much on a pair of shoes? It seems like you would almost need a split personality to go to where she has seen such need even for basic necessities like water, yet feel it is OK to spend so much on (frivolous frooferies) on oneself. I'd be like, wow this one pair of shoes can provide water for an entire village. Nah, I need another 100th pair of shoes...

I would like to know how much she has given to charities via philanthropies/entrepeneurship/parties etc relative to how much her 3000 sq feet closet (500K) and clothes and accessories (?) cost.  If they are not somewhat approximate I would just say her philanthropic enterprises (ie fundraising in her closet) is more likely a write off or rationalization.

I have been to Uganda and worked with orphans and AIDS victims, yet that hasn't stopped me from spending money on things for myself and my family so I can't call her a hypocrite without calling myself one.  There is more than one way to do good deeds.  Some friends of mine gave up their comfortable life in the US to open an orphanage and school in Uganda. I give to them and their school, but I don't think it's something I could do myself. They need people like me to support their efforts.   I may find her consumption distasteful on a personal level, but I give her props for finding a cause and raising money and awareness. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 09:26:13 PM »
http://blog.neimanmarcus.com/theresa-roemer/

In fairness, the three-story space including champagne bar doubles as an event space for fundraising. We hope being boozed up while surrounded by lots and lots of high-dollar fashion induces her guests to open their wallets for charity!

She has 8 identical handbags, in different colors?!?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
Just live your own life. People around here are way too concerned about what everyone else does

maybe you should avoid the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" subforum because commenting on the activities of anti-Mustachians is basically the whole point of it.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »
She has 60 Birken bags, I think those START at $8500 and go way up from their.

It is very well organized and so clean, I like that, but I like my closet too.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:15 AM »

I have been to Uganda and worked with orphans and AIDS victims, yet that hasn't stopped me from spending money on things for myself and my family so I can't call her a hypocrite without calling myself one.  There is more than one way to do good deeds.  Some friends of mine gave up their comfortable life in the US to open an orphanage and school in Uganda. I give to them and their school, but I don't think it's something I could do myself. They need people like me to support their efforts.   I may find her consumption distasteful on a personal level, but I give her props for finding a cause and raising money and awareness.

I don't think because I'm an American I have to walk around in sackcloth, but what she says her values are (philanthropy) and what she uses her money for there is some kind of HUGE disconnect. Which makes me think her philantrophy is another status enhancer for her rather than something deeply held. I could be wrong, just my impression.   

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
Update: It looks like Roemer needs to go out and do more shopping to replenish the closet.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands/news/article/Famous-half-million-dollar-closet-has-been-robbed-5664391.php

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
They forgot to set the alarm?  Inside job or insurance scam?

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
To each their own - maybe she is happy and fulfilled with what she has. I must say that I am amazed at the height of her high heels - they look impossible to walk in.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »

maybe you should avoid the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" subforum because commenting on the activities of anti-Mustachians is basically the whole point of it.

Maybe you are right, RockHead

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
Awww - someone already posted about the robbery before I could. I'm in a decluttering phase, so the thought of all that STUFF to worry about being stolen makes me want to declutter more.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 06:03:53 PM »
I read this when it was first posted here, and I didn't write anything then. (Obviously). I've seen/heard people talking a lot about their nice homes, mentioning it's just perfect or just a bit smaller than they envisioned. I've never heard anyone say they have too much room, other than on sites like MMM, and definitely not in person. Yet, every single mention of space is far bigger than what I've lived in. Aside from the house I grew up in, I've only live in a college dorm and a barracks. So my house is the largest place I've ever lived, and it was less than 1200 sq feet. I had four siblings and both parents.

Pretty much everyone here recognizes the horribly massive amount of space most people have, but I've always been astounded with how much people take it all for granted. Yeah, I grew up "cramped" into a "tiny" house, but I've been to several third-world countries where much larger families had far less space. Like, on the order of a dorm or barracks room. I took how much space I had for granted, and I realize now just how big my home was growing up. It blows my mind that people talk about 2000 sq ft as if it's tiny. (Not trying to rail on anyone, just saying how surprising things like this are to me.)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »

I looked at her closet and realised that there are some rich people I can relate to and some I can't, simply because even with a ludicrous amount of money I couldn't imagine having that volume of stuff. It tickles me to wonder what she'd make of my wardrobe, with 1 handbag and pants I share with my husband (we're the same size).

On this site I've discovered mustachian ideas beyond what I'm willing to try.  But THIS? 

I'll budget $1 per meal, I'll become an Uber driver, I'll even brew my coffee with old grounds before I share a pair of pants with my husband.  The only co-ed pants I can imagine working are James Dean Levi's.  I mean, wait, what?

(for the record, I'm not going to any of the above). 

The Borgs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »

On this site I've discovered mustachian ideas beyond what I'm willing to try.  But THIS? 

I'll budget $1 per meal, I'll become an Uber driver, I'll even brew my coffee with old grounds before I share a pair of pants with my husband.  The only co-ed pants I can imagine working are James Dean Levi's.  I mean, wait, what?

Well, I have a 34" inside leg, which makes buying womens pants a nightmare. And they fit really really well, better than I've ever found womens pants to fit. And I dress a bit like Ellen, so it works for me style wise. It wasn't really done deliberately to save money, though it does save money incidentally.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 02:21:44 AM »
I can't imagine trying to pick something out to wear from all that crap.... Granted, I am a dude but still..

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 11:13:33 PM »

Im sure there are worse things a woman (or person) can do than sharing pants with their SO. Whatever.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 04:04:22 AM »

In which case you're sure to disapprove of my men's khakis, which are not even the same size as my husband's but which are all I wear these days. SO much better made than women's pants, with functional pockets, cut to actually let you move. Before I discovered this, I was wearing women's khakis, so the overall impression is the same except my clothing is obviously better made. Plus I have to wear a belt, but I did that anyway.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!