Author Topic: 3,900 round trips to the sun in 3 months  (Read 4789 times)

regulator

• Bristles
3,900 round trips to the sun in 3 months
« on: June 16, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »
"Oil supplies are abundant. America’s refiners are running the hardest in 10 years. So why isn’t the country awash in gasoline?

It’s all going up in smoke.

Back in January, the Energy Information Administration forecast Americans would burn 8.71 million barrels of gasoline a day in the first quarter. They actually used 100,000 more than that to drive a record 720.1 billion miles. That’s about 3,900 return trips to the sun."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-16/gas-guzzling-u-s-drivers-shock-even-analysts-as-refiners-profit?cmpid=yhoo

I figure this will go on just long enough for every Merkin to buy a monster gas guzzler so that they can all bitch about gas prices when oil/gasoline prices go back up.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
Re: 3,900 round trips to the sun in 3 months
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:18 AM »
I thought it might lead to a drop in demand, and thus prices, of used Priuses/Prii, but unfortunately I have not seen it.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:49:08 AM »
I'm always disappointed that this type of reporting doesn't touch on what this number means per capita.

It should be easy to set new records like this when you have a growing population of people who are of driving age.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
I thought it might lead to a drop in demand, and thus prices, of used Priuses/Prii, but unfortunately I have not seen it.
Used Volts have actually started to undercut used Prius... I'm close to being able to trade our 2010 Prius for a second 2012 Volt - twice as efficient, still in warranty, and a much nicer ride.
Think about it. We currently have both, and there is no comparison.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »
Used Volts have actually started to undercut used Prius... I'm close to being able to trade our 2010 Prius for a second 2012 Volt - twice as efficient, still in warranty, and a much nicer ride.
Think about it. We currently have both, and there is no comparison.
Yeah the volt is interesting in principle, but it's an American car, and a Chevy at that. I'm not touching that with a 10 ft pole.

I'm sick of repairs; Honda or Toyota only. other Asian cars may be considered in very specific circumstances. European? No thanks. American? Hell no!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:38:35 AM »
Yeah the volt is interesting in principle, but it's an American car, and a Chevy at that. I'm not touching that with a 10 ft pole.
It's the exception that proves the rule... lol
It has an 8yr/100k powertrain warranty. Yes, that includes the battery everyone's so afraid of.
I've been driving the shit out of mine for 2 years and it still acts like new. I average 1800 miles a month (mostly business) for $20-25 in power and about the same on gas... pretty damn happy about that.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 11:39:53 AM »
It has an 8yr/100k powertrain warranty. Yes, that includes the battery everyone's so afraid of.
I've been driving the shit out of mine for 2 years and it still acts like new. I average 1800 miles a month (mostly business) for $20-25 in power and about the same on gas... pretty damn happy about that.

ehmm, well maybe. It's not the first 100k miles I'm worried about, it's miles 101k - 200k!

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
I'm always disappointed that this type of reporting doesn't touch on what this number means per capita.

It should be easy to set new records like this when you have a growing population of people who are of driving age.

Those type of articles are usually quick to come up with a "scary" number but fail to acknowledge the realities of modern living. Food isn't magically teleported to grocery stores, ambulances and police cars don't run on pixie dust, major industry doesn't run on intermittent wind or solar, people still have to get to work, heavy machines still have to operate, homes and apartments have to be built, hospitals and schools need to be built and maintained, etc.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 12:31:37 PM »

But can you drive it to the sun and back?

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 05:42:22 AM »

But can you drive it to the sun and back?

At 20% the speed of light (3900 round trips in 3 months).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 10:04:57 AM »

ehmm, well maybe. It's not the first 100k miles I'm worried about, it's miles 101k - 200k!
Some of them are well past 100K already with virtually no pack degradation. I know only time will tell for sure, but there's reason for optimism.
I'll check back in a few years with mine, since I expect that we or someone in my family will have it till it breaks down. ;)