Author Topic: 25 Things You'll Never Regret Buying  (Read 29198 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: 25 Things You'll Never Regret Buying
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2016, 10:42:21 AM »
  • Dog
  • Dog
  • Dog

I love that dog was on here three times! "Cat" is on my future no-regrets list, with dog as a possible alternative. (Husband is much more keen for a dog than a cat but I've never had a dog before whereas my parents have two lovely cats, so I'm much more cat-inclined.)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
3: Maui Jim or Oakley sunglasses (I'm up to 4 pairs over a lifetime now, 1 lost, 1 worn out, 2 still in play) 

Really? I've always gone with the "cheap" sunglasses because I feel like I'll lose them, but I realized the last few pairs I've had break or wear out. Is there anything special about Maui Jim or Oakley sunglasses, or are they just sturdier? I'd love to get some super dark sunglasses one day to block as much sun as possible - that's pretty much my main shopping criteria after price and it's surprising to me how little light gets blocked by regular off the rack sunglasses. If it's worth it I'd consider spending more on the Perfect Sunglasses.

I got hooked on them when I was a caddy. Outside in the sun, looking at the sky (watching the golf ball) for 8 hours a day. Same with fishing. Simply put, they're better. I feel like I see clearer through my Maui Jims than I do without any lenses. I prefer the amber lenses, and will wear them even in overcast during the day. Easier on my eyes. I also have a couple of eye docs in my family (one Ophthalmologist, and one Optometrist) and they both have told me multiple times that Maui Jims are the best, the best, the best from an eye health standpoint. It is all in the lens that Maui Jim wins.

My eyes would be tired after a day of caddying with cheap sunglasses. Not so with the Maui's or the Oakleys.

Now, that being said, the frames are well made as well--the pair that I lost (sitting in the bottom of Lake Michigan) were their flimsy frame, and they still lasted for 3 years and were going strong. Oakley's lenses aren't quite as good, but still very good. The big draw for them was the frames--they're plastic and well made. I got hit with a baseball (hit the runners foot at third and popped up and hit me) and the frame-arm popped off. Pop it right back on, good as new. I caddied, played golf, played baseball, fished, and rode waverunners in those for probably 6 or 7 years. They're just worn out now (frames are scratched, lenses have a couple scratches as well) but they still reside in my dads convertible as an emergency pair.

I've also had good luck with Ray-Ban and Serengetti. My brother uses Kirkland and Knockaround exclusively (he's still a caddy), and I'm 99% sure that the Kirkland (Costco) is a re-branded Ray-Ban. But I can tell  you that Kirkland is the cheapest I will ever go--but I spend a lot of time outside in the summer.

EDIT: Go find some Maui's, wear them outside in sunlight and switch between your cheapos and the Maui's. You'll immediately see the difference. You'll probably still see the difference between a Kirkland and a Maui, but it will be much less pronounced. Make your call--for me, it is a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:52:10 AM by mtn »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 11:30:58 AM »
  • Dog
  • Dog
  • Dog

I love that dog was on here three times! "Cat" is on my future no-regrets list, with dog as a possible alternative. (Husband is much more keen for a dog than a cat but I've never had a dog before whereas my parents have two lovely cats, so I'm much more cat-inclined.)

I want a dog the way some women my age want a baby (the stereotypical "biological clock is ticking"). Hubs and I are actually "dog people" despite the cat we are currently slaves to. Unfortunately, our building doesn't allow dogs, and we've decided that dog ownership is completely incompatible with our current living situation (and cruel to the dog). But we love where we live, and getting a dog-friendly place would be a huge jump in expenses. So I'll just continue to walk by the dog rescue and sigh a lot.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »
3: Maui Jim or Oakley sunglasses (I'm up to 4 pairs over a lifetime now, 1 lost, 1 worn out, 2 still in play) 

Really? I've always gone with the "cheap" sunglasses because I feel like I'll lose them, but I realized the last few pairs I've had break or wear out. Is there anything special about Maui Jim or Oakley sunglasses, or are they just sturdier? I'd love to get some super dark sunglasses one day to block as much sun as possible - that's pretty much my main shopping criteria after price and it's surprising to me how little light gets blocked by regular off the rack sunglasses. If it's worth it I'd consider spending more on the Perfect Sunglasses.

Oakley quality/warranty coverage has gone down since the Luxottica acquisition, but their optics/lenses are still good. I can't find other glasses I like, so I always end up getting Oakley for my regular glasses. I switched to the classic Ray Ban (also Luxottica) aviators about three years ago, and they're still going strong.

It seems like wire frames hold up better than any of the polycarbonate or frameless stuff, though you do have to watch out for frames twisting (I think it has more to do with my face though).

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »
I want a dog the way some women my age want a baby (the stereotypical "biological clock is ticking"). Hubs and I are actually "dog people" despite the cat we are currently slaves to. Unfortunately, our building doesn't allow dogs, and we've decided that dog ownership is completely incompatible with our current living situation (and cruel to the dog). But we love where we live, and getting a dog-friendly place would be a huge jump in expenses. So I'll just continue to walk by the dog rescue and sigh a lot.

Aww! That is very responsible of you and I hope you will be in the right position to rescue a dog one day.

I rescued two dogs a few years ago and they are an enormous responsibility, but I don't regret it for a minute, well maybe when I was toilet training them!:D If I did it again I would rescue a slightly older dog, not a puppy. Puppies are a nightmare, lol.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2016, 02:02:12 PM »

Blueberries are too soil-finicky unless you live in an area where they naturally grow.

Blueberries are very soil finicky, but they seem to do ok if you can get them over the hump of the first few years while you condition the soil.  I have heavy clay, so they just look sad for the first 2-3 years. 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2016, 04:16:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm with the majority here:  I disagree with about 2/3 of the things on that list. 

My list of things that're worth buying: 

- College education from a solid state school; my husband and I've done very well, and our oldest is about to graduate -- and already has a good job waiting
- House; I've been mortgage-free for more than a decade, and it's great
- Cast iron frying pan; actually, some of them were my grandmother's grandmother's cookware
- Cuisinart Multi-clad Pro cookware; I've been collecting this bit by bit over the last two years, and it is sooo much better than that old RevereWare junk I used to have
- Good knives, though I've never owned a knife sharpener
- Quality shoes; I have foot problems that are 100% solved by wearing proper footwear -- I'll pay whatever it costs to avoid foot pain
- Lands' End dresses; they go on sale for $15-20 and in the 10-15 years I've been wearing them, only one has worn out
- LL Bean shirts for my husband; they last like nothing else and are reasonably priced if purchased on sale
- LL Bean backpack
- Kindle; I use it every single day!
- Quality furniture; we have a number of solid wood furniture pieces that're more than a decade old
- Good mattress; what a difference from our old mattress! 
- Prescription sunglasses; no more choosing between comfort and safety

That's what I can think of at the moment, but it's certainly not a comprehensive list.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2016, 06:26:55 PM »
I'll never regret buying/owning:

• My beloved Senegal parrot (fifteen or sixteen years old, and still a poopin' machine!  best paper shredder ever, too!)
  • Wagner cast iron pan (how do people cook with Lodge?  eww)
  • Chest freezer large enough to fit three adult humans
  • Contact lenses (when the rest of the optically impaired world thinks -4 is bad, but I'm at -11)
  • Full-fat dairy
  • The Virginia Edition - The Complete Works of Robert A. Heinlein (expensive, but TANSTAAFL!)
  • Pretty green humming $1 tea kettle from a yard sale
  • Satin-weave pillowcases and hair scissors
  • Large, metal wire "garden/tool" shelves to store even more food in my kitchen
  • Programmable slow cooker (was the best thing ever during Tax Seasons, and continues to improve my life)
  • Dried beans at good prices
  • Gigantic, no-invert golf umbrella for walks on sunny days
  • Good Japanese or Korean facial sunscreen.  It's a world of difference from American junk.
  • Giant green plaid comforter (For non-US: two blanket-sized pieces of fabric stuffed like a quilt and sewn together, but not pieced together like a quilt) from a yard sale.  50 cents to purchase, $10 to wash and dry at the laundromat, years of good use.
  • Handkerchiefs!  No tissue dust up your nose.  No tissue scraps over all your clothes if it stays in your pocket through a wash.  Gentler on the nose.  Cheaper.
  • Random potted plants, mostly herbs.  I love have growing things in the apartment.
  • Menstrual cup and large heating pad
  • 50-lb bag of vital wheat gluten (DBF is vegetarian, and this is used to make mock meats)
  • Monty Python's Complete Flying Circus
  • Used White-brand sewing machine
  • Gas, tolls, lost work hours to visit family
  • College degree in widely in-demand field (accounting)
  • Cell phone that physically cannot pocket-dial
  • Epilator
  • Hopefully a house, when the time comes.

Also, I hate wine, coffee (even the smell is bad), smoked meat, and artificial Christmas trees.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 06:39:07 PM »
But we love where we live, and getting a dog-friendly place would be a huge jump in expenses. So I'll just continue to walk by the dog rescue and sigh a lot.

I understand. I love dogs and would love to get a dog but I know that I don't have the schedule that would enable me to spend enough time with him/her.

If you have time and enjoy spending it with dogs I would encourage you to look for volunteer opportunities at shelters and rescues. You may also consider a side job of dog walking in your spare time. I don't have the spare time to do so right now, but am willing to do so after my schedule lightens.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:14 AM »

The way you present this is very concerning

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 04:07:56 AM »

I thought the same thing! Lol.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2016, 06:46:23 AM »
A knife sharpener is a real thing! So many of my family and friends talked about buying new knives becausethe ones they had were dull. I could not understand the problem until I realized they did not own a knife sharpener. I then told them they simply needed to buy a sharpener, not new knives. Being hyper consumers, this was unacceptable. Multiple were bent on buying $100 "never dull" infomercial ridiculousness. I finally bought, not kidding, half  a dozen knife sharpeners and actually handed them out. My wife made fun of me mercilessly. But I have been told repeatedly about how this was one of the best gifts ever by multiple people, repeatedly!

Our non-mustachian brothers and sisters never cease to amaze me.

We bought a fairly nice knife sharpener on Amazon ($30) and I'm fairly sure it'll last us the rest of our lives. And save plenty of knives to boot.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 08:13:49 AM »

I got hooked on them when I was a caddy. Outside in the sun, looking at the sky (watching the golf ball) for 8 hours a day. Same with fishing. Simply put, they're better. I feel like I see clearer through my Maui Jims than I do without any lenses. I prefer the amber lenses, and will wear them even in overcast during the day. Easier on my eyes. I also have a couple of eye docs in my family (one Ophthalmologist, and one Optometrist) and they both have told me multiple times that Maui Jims are the best, the best, the best from an eye health standpoint. It is all in the lens that Maui Jim wins.

My eyes would be tired after a day of caddying with cheap sunglasses. Not so with the Maui's or the Oakleys.

Now, that being said, the frames are well made as well--the pair that I lost (sitting in the bottom of Lake Michigan) were their flimsy frame, and they still lasted for 3 years and were going strong. Oakley's lenses aren't quite as good, but still very good. The big draw for them was the frames--they're plastic and well made. I got hit with a baseball (hit the runners foot at third and popped up and hit me) and the frame-arm popped off. Pop it right back on, good as new. I caddied, played golf, played baseball, fished, and rode waverunners in those for probably 6 or 7 years. They're just worn out now (frames are scratched, lenses have a couple scratches as well) but they still reside in my dads convertible as an emergency pair.

I've also had good luck with Ray-Ban and Serengetti. My brother uses Kirkland and Knockaround exclusively (he's still a caddy), and I'm 99% sure that the Kirkland (Costco) is a re-branded Ray-Ban. But I can tell  you that Kirkland is the cheapest I will ever go--but I spend a lot of time outside in the summer.

EDIT: Go find some Maui's, wear them outside in sunlight and switch between your cheapos and the Maui's. You'll immediately see the difference. You'll probably still see the difference between a Kirkland and a Maui, but it will be much less pronounced. Make your call--for me, it is a no-brainer.

yup, same here. used to be Oakley but now it's all Maui Jims. had some in florida so good I could look through glare and see fish and dolphins nobody else could.

now I'm in Texas and it's bright and sunny and I bought some Maui Jims. Bigger, darker, and ballistic rate (competition shooter). I've seen too many people take shotgun pellets or bullet splatter, I'm not looking to go blind because of it.Just the other day at work I asked a student what all those weird birds were doing up in the sky. he's like "what birds". so i hand him the Mauis and he can see them clear as day. Crazy what good glasses can do. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »

yup, same here. used to be Oakley but now it's all Maui Jims. had some in florida so good I could look through glare and see fish and dolphins nobody else could.

now I'm in Texas and it's bright and sunny and I bought some Maui Jims. Bigger, darker, and ballistic rate (competition shooter). I've seen too many people take shotgun pellets or bullet splatter, I'm not looking to go blind because of it.Just the other day at work I asked a student what all those weird birds were doing up in the sky. he's like "what birds". so i hand him the Mauis and he can see them clear as day. Crazy what good glasses can do.

Interesting. So far I've had that experience with Oakley's polarized lenses, but I have yet to experience Maui Jims.  My Oakleys are just about done (there appears to be some sort of coating on the lenses that's substantially worn after ~10 years).

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2016, 09:11:02 AM »

Interesting. So far I've had that experience with Oakley's polarized lenses, but I have yet to experience Maui Jims.  My Oakleys are just about done (there appears to be some sort of coating on the lenses that's substantially worn after ~10 years).

I think I paid $90 for my last ones at Costco. I'm totally a fanboi if you couldn't tell, but it is incredible how nice they are--to the point that I'm considering paying over $450 (after insurance) for a pair of prescription Maui Jims (I'm about 25% contacts, 75% glasses, with prescription Kirkland brand sunglasses).

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »

I thought the same thing! Lol.

My circle of friends used to assess the trunk size of a new car this way whenever someone showed off their new purchase at a gathering. Then we'd test it by all piling into the trunk. Okay, okay it probably only happened twice, but it was still incredibly amusing.

It helps visualize the size!  It saved me trying to measure it out in feet and inches, converting to cubic for volume, then converting that to metric for our non-US readers.  I suppose I could have gone with cubic cubits.  *grin*

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »
1> My LL Bean Maine Warden's Parka (which replaced my 10+ year old REI triad parka)

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 11:31:18 AM »
A knife sharpener is a real thing! So many of my family and friends talked about buying new knives becausethe ones they had were dull. I could not understand the problem until I realized they did not own a knife sharpener. I then told them they simply needed to buy a sharpener, not new knives. Being hyper consumers, this was unacceptable. Multiple were bent on buying $100 "never dull" infomercial ridiculousness. I finally bought, not kidding, half  a dozen knife sharpeners and actually handed them out. My wife made fun of me mercilessly. But I have been told repeatedly about how this was one of the best gifts ever by multiple people, repeatedly!

Our non-mustachian brothers and sisters never cease to amaze me.

Which brand do you recommend?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »

- Cast iron frying pan; actually, some of them were my grandmother's grandmother's cookware

I have my grandmother's grandmother's cast iron skillet, too.  I would say it's the only heirloom I would grab if the house were burning down, but that wouldn't hurt it.  It's got 100 years worth of smoothness and seasoning, so it's better than any of the new non-stick crud. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2016, 11:22:47 AM »
A couple more items:

Deerskin work gloves.
Duluth Trading Post underwear.
A Weber kettle grill
Polarized, prescription sun glasses
Another vote for cast iron skillet and / or dutch oven
Coleman lantern
High quality binoculars

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2016, 01:46:22 AM »
I've been thinking about 25 things I never regretted buying, so here goes

1. Tesla Model S (A tax-exempt vehicle in our country and it helps us make a ton of money)
2. Two e-bikes (These ensure that the Tesla is used for making money)
3. A 2011 Imac (The workhorse of the family)
4. Bosch Dishwasher
5. Large freezer
6. Tools for repairing cars
7. Nike laptop backpack
8. DW's camera
9. A nice high quality dress shirt
10. Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries
11. Menu Wine Cooler (was a gift actually)
12. Ikea plastic storage boxes
13. Our small 700 sqft house
14. High quality towels
15. My watch
16. iPad (the book-reader of the family)
17. Two air mattresses for when guest show up
18. Our Webergrill (bought used at a huge discount)
19. Our garden furniture
20. My electric lawnmower with a cord (8 years old and still going strong)

And I ran out of stuff.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2016, 03:38:09 AM »
[Not in priority order]

1) My condo (it's not perfect but when I do the math on renting, or compare it to a more expensive house I know I did the right thing)
2) Memory foam mattress
3) warm long underwear
4) Feather pillows (much more comfortable than polyester, cheaper than down, cooler than memory foam)
5) Brita water pitcher
6) comfortable shoes
7) chapstick
8) Vanguard S&P 500 Admirals shares index fund
9) Amazon professional seller fee ($39.99 a month to save $65 a month in selling fees. It would be better if I hadn't bought most of the items I'm selling in the first place, but that's another question.)
10) warm sweaters from thrift stores
11) 8" cast iron skillet from a thrift store
12) Alpha Centauri, my favorite computer game ever
13) my Roth IRA
14) my microwave oven, still going strong after almost 30 years
15) My favorite books (but not most of my books, so I'm selling them).