Author Topic: 24 Sussex  (Read 2037 times)

jambongris

• Bristles
24 Sussex
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:15:14 PM »
This quote from a CBC article on the long neglected prime minister’s residence at 24 Sussex doesn’t seem believable. Especially for an uninhabited house.

Even though it sits vacant, the federal heritage building racks up maintenance bills. Between November 2015 and March 2016, it cost $180,000 to keep it heated, lit up and clear of snow. The hydro bills alone for that five-month period weighed in at $38,881.

I guess it’s big and old (poorly insulated) but that seems nuts!

CBC

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: 24 Sussex
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »
Wow. They should fix the place up. That's an absolute embarassment. It should absolutely be non partisan.

$10m is chump change. A dollar per tax paying Canadian. To have a decent place for the PM to do PM type stuff?!

It's 35 rooms... I don't know, maybe 2-3k a month on Hydro?! I guess it gets more expensive once you are over a certain amount - assuming it's treated as a home not a business or whatever by Hydro Ottawa? I have no idea.

Either way, embarassing.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: 24 Sussex
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »
And that is probably with Hydro Ottawa.  Imagine if it was rural residential with Hydro One?  I see a lot of old large stone farmhouses around here, and I shudder to think what their electricity bills are like.

Old, drafty, needing maintenance - who is responsible for it?  The NCC? It shouldn't matter which party is in power, this is where the PM does a lot of official hosting, and it should be kept up.  Can you imagine the Americans treating the White House like this?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!