Author Topic: 24,000 people go grocery shopping  (Read 16578 times)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Re: 24,000 people go grocery shopping
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »
To me "organic" is completely meaningless, "grass-fed" means nothing, "fair trade" who cares, and "artisan" WTF. I buy my groceries either in bulk for non-perishables at the warehouse store or in small amounts for produce/meats/dairy at the grocery store that's close enough to ride to on my bicycle. People going wild over "elite" grocery stores are a complete mystery to me. It's like people buying Starbucks so they can be seen carrying a Starbucks cup. I like my money to stay in my wallet or bank account unless I absolutely have to spend it on something. That's how I live an amazingly great lifestyle on a much smaller budget than other people in my neighborhood.

This is not really a status symbol thing, even if some people make it into one.  It's just about considering what your purchases are doing to you and the world around you.  It seems like a false economy to me to buy meat full of antibiotics and produce covered in pesticides.  What is your health worth?  What is clean air and water worth? What is it worth for the people in the supply chain to be treated fairly?

I agree that there are grocery stores that are charging way too much for the exact same thing, though.  The exact same bag of pretzels costs 50% more in one of the save-the-planet grocery stores I avoid as it does in my local Publix.  It's the exact same thing delivered the exact same way.  And Publix is rated one of the best places to work, so it's not going toward better treatment of employees.   

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2016, 11:17:06 AM »
I used to live in up state New York and Wegman's was just our regular grocery store, but it did get a fancy upgrade a few years before we left. Wegman's always had everything I was looking for. If I needed fancy ingredients, I always found them with no problem. Then we moved to a tiny town in Iowa. I told my husband, "I can't believe I ever used to complain about doing the grocery shopping. I miss Wegman's!" We took our kids on a trip last summer to visit upstate New York (and other places) and you better believe that we went to Wegman's. And that reminds me: if you are on vacation and want t shirts, hats, whatever featuring the local college or university. The grocery store is often the best place to get them!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2016, 12:12:39 PM »
So a new Publix opened up in our neighborhood this month, and it was the talk of the parents at my kids' school (it's on the same block as the school--you can imagine the convenience!).  People in Florida love Publix ("where shopping is a pleasure").  Now, it wasn't 24,000 people, but lots of us went on the first day.

Publix is also opening a store in Richmond in 2018, but a heavy rumor is circulating that they might be buying the Martin's stores as well.  Martin's got bought again by the same company that owns Food Lion, and because of monopoly laws Martin's is on the auction block.  Publix tends to be expensive, but its fried chicken is TREMENDOUS.

Careful - Publix in Florida is a thing of absolute glory. Their out of state stores are much worse. They recently came to Tennessee and it's been nothing but disappointment: cashiers aren't friendly, no one asks if you need help (which is supposed to be the signature Publix move), unreliable produce, and way, WAY out of date pre-packaged products. I bought a trail mix that had a sell-by date nearly six months prior.

I know how MandalayVA feels about Wegman's, as it is what I feel about Publix, and it's BOGO and deals. We buy only fresh produce, fruit in season, and milk/dairy there. That stuff is cheaper than Winn Dixie.

Seems like a talent and/or training issue in TN. Publix employees are taught to be courteous, and checking shelves for dates is done every night, about 9pm at my store, which closes at 10pm. Or if the staff aren't busy.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2016, 12:57:44 PM »
Perhaps the most telling commentary regarding our new Wegmans comes from my coworker, Mr. Bitches About Everything.  He paid a visit to Wegmans over the weekend ... and has been RAVING about it all day.  The guy who NEVER has anything good to say about ANYTHING loves Wegmans.  If it can convert this guy it's a magic place indeed.  :D

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 01:14:25 PM »
Perhaps the most telling commentary regarding our new Wegmans comes from my coworker, Mr. Bitches About Everything.  He paid a visit to Wegmans over the weekend ... and has been RAVING about it all day.  The guy who NEVER has anything good to say about ANYTHING loves Wegmans.  If it can convert this guy it's a magic place indeed.  :D
Is he a MBA-Executive?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
I likely would love Wegman's if there was one around here. That said, there are some non-WF premium grocery stores here (Lunds/Byerly's) that are amazing and I hardly ever go in them so maybe not? I guess this millennial is not much of a foodie.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2016, 01:34:57 PM »
Wegman's is cheaper than the slightly-closer "cheap" grocery chains near me - if you're buying reasonable things. If you're buying organic snack mix or whatever you'll pay out the nose but you shouldn't buy that garbage anyways.

When we were hosting Thanksgiving I got our list, went on Wegman's website to determine their price on everything, then went to Giant, which is close by, figuring I could get probably half the things cheaper there. I gave up a third of the way through the list when nothing was cheaper.

In Burlington, MA we have cheapster grocery heaven - a MarketBasket ON_THE_WAY to Wegmans. They are about 1 mile apart. So you can make your grocery list in the Wegmans app, which includes current price for each item, then go to MarketBasket first, get what's cheaper there, and head to Wegmans. It's a pretty even split for the things I buy, and it's really per item. It's not like MB is across the board cheaper on drugstore items or meat, just some of them. AND who cares if one store is out of something, which happens all the time. Now I can just get it at the other one.

Haha, I am very familiar with both of those particular stores!

We rarely go to Wegmans for groceries, as most of what we buy (largely produce) is quite a bit cheaper at MB. I'll have to check out the online Wegmans app to confirm though...great idea!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2016, 01:54:47 PM »
A very fancy Mariano's store opened in Chicago the other year in the Ravenswood neighborhood.  It has 3 different full-service bars and they encourage you to grab a beer or wine while you shop.  It has 6 different restaurant type places, including daily real-smoked BBQ, a sushi joint, fresh seafood with a oyster specialty, pizza joint, sandwich shop, and a coffee shop that have little sit-down areas, and they will also deliver to the bars.  That's in addition to the normal hot/cold deli section.  Fresh squeezed OJ every day.  Live bands often play at one of the bars, but there's always at least a piano player in the evenings.  When they first opened, they gave out some crazy samples like full-sized ice cream bars, and they brought in some ringers for world class customer service (that have since moved on leaving more normal customer service).

Mariano's is/was my standard grocery store until my wife climbed onboard the Peapod fail train. I think it's nicer, but don't see that it's any pricier than Jewel, which is the other large grocery store chain around here.  It's nicer and more $$$ than Aldi, which is miserable and depressing, but otherwise it's no more $$ than Jewel.  Mariano's does have some fairly pricey prepared food if you buy it in small quantities (eat lunch at their deli) but very reasonable if you buy it in large quantities (cater a party).  And they have excellent selections of meat and beer.  I also like the piano player they have playing on the weekends, classes the place up :)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2016, 06:06:41 PM »
I think some people just don't like food very much.  Seriously.  They eat to live, not live to eat.  In that case, anything spent above a sustenance level is wasted money.  These are the people soylent was made for.  Even better a DIY soylent.
Lol

My DH bought soylent ate it up, and now wants to order more.  Yep, 1.5 meals a day are meal replacement shakes if he can, and he dislikes cooking but will if absolutely needed, we Also don't like eating his cooking but will if needed.   ( he added mashed banana to the spaghetti sauce. Yuck.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2016, 07:55:24 PM »
I think some people just don't like food very much.  Seriously.  They eat to live, not live to eat.  In that case, anything spent above a sustenance level is wasted money.  These are the people soylent was made for.  Even better a DIY soylent.
Lol

My DH bought soylent ate it up, and now wants to order more.  Yep, 1.5 meals a day are meal replacement shakes if he can, and he dislikes cooking but will if absolutely needed, we Also don't like eating his cooking but will if needed.   ( he added mashed banana to the spaghetti sauce. Yuck.

My DH's favorite dish to cook was pasta with tuna, olives, and whatever veggies were lying around. Also, cubed cheese for added protein. Since his standards were so...basic...he loved everything I made.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2016, 07:40:41 AM »
I'll have to check out the online Wegmans app to confirm though...great idea!

Oh, even better than that. You put it on your phone (web list and phone auto-synch) and then you price compare at MB as you buy the stuff. BECAUSE what if it changed since you checked the online list? LOL I really do this. Then you check the bought stuff off on the list and head to Wegmans for the rest.

We should have some kind of MM sign when we are out and about, like a T-shirt. Then we could identify each other and have a chat about cutting our own hair and dumpster diving.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »
Lol

My DH's favorite dish to cook was pasta with tuna, olives, and whatever veggies were lying around. Also, cubed cheese for added protein. Since his standards were so...basic...he loved everything I made.

Yup, having simple tastes makes life so much more enjoyable imo. I wish I wasn't a beer snob, but then again I've given up beer to get back into shape so it's a win-win (actually I've given up nearly all drinking).

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »
I'll have to check out the online Wegmans app to confirm though...great idea!

Oh, even better than that. You put it on your phone (web list and phone auto-synch) and then you price compare at MB as you buy the stuff. BECAUSE what if it changed since you checked the online list? LOL I really do this. Then you check the bought stuff off on the list and head to Wegmans for the rest.

Haha, nice. Wouldn't you have to pay for data then, though?

We should have some kind of MM sign when we are out and about, like a T-shirt. Then we could identify each other and have a chat about cutting our own hair and dumpster diving.

Yes! XD

I've never dumpster dived, but I have plenty of humorous DIY hair cutting stories...do you go to the Boston area meetups? http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/boston/200/ I've been to one so far - awesome to talk in person to others with similar goals. :)

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »

I never have data on except for when I need maps to navigate. I add items during the week as I think of them to the online list at home, then I take the phone around to the kitchen and pantry and add items right before I leave. It takes me 10 minutes to get to MB from Arlington so I suppose Wegmans could change a price during those 10 minutes. I will have to take that risk. My Ting bill averages $18 a month. The app works even with data off. It saves your check marks as you shop. It just can't update the prices.

I've never dumpster dived, but I have plenty of humorous DIY hair cutting stories...do you go to the Boston area meetups? http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/boston/200/ I've been to one so far - awesome to talk in person to others with similar goals. :)

Everybody in that group is in their 20's it seems. I'm not sure a 59 year old would fit in. Did you see any oldsters when you went? My goal now is not to outlive my stache.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »
Is he a MBA-Executive?

Nope, just a grouchy old wage slave.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
A very fancy Mariano's store opened in Chicago the other year in the Ravenswood neighborhood.  It has 3 different full-service bars and they encourage you to grab a beer or wine while you shop.  It has 6 different restaurant type places, including daily real-smoked BBQ, a sushi joint, fresh seafood with a oyster specialty, pizza joint, sandwich shop, and a coffee shop that have little sit-down areas, and they will also deliver to the bars.  That's in addition to the normal hot/cold deli section.  Fresh squeezed OJ every day.  Live bands often play at one of the bars, but there's always at least a piano player in the evenings.  When they first opened, they gave out some crazy samples like full-sized ice cream bars, and they brought in some ringers for world class customer service (that have since moved on leaving more normal customer service).

Mariano's is/was my standard grocery store until my wife climbed onboard the Peapod fail train. I think it's nicer, but don't see that it's any pricier than Jewel, which is the other large grocery store chain around here.  It's nicer and more $$$ than Aldi, which is miserable and depressing, but otherwise it's no more $$ than Jewel.  Mariano's does have some fairly pricey prepared food if you buy it in small quantities (eat lunch at their deli) but very reasonable if you buy it in large quantities (cater a party).  And they have excellent selections of meat and beer.  I also like the piano player they have playing on the weekends, classes the place up :)

Something must be wrong wit your Aldi's. Our's is clean, bright, good selection of certain things, good prices, etc. Love their chocolates and treats. We buy very few of their meats.

We have four supermarkets (well five if you count WalMart) to choose from on the way home. We are not WalMart customers though and actively avoid them. ;)

All of them have their strong points and we visit each at different times. We usually do a big trip once every ten days and fill in in-between.

And the Publix in TN I know best near family is clean, well stocked, and the employees were very friendly. We don't have one in my town but if we did I expect it would put a real hurt on the other stores which would need to up their game to compete on selection.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:52:50 PM by Mybigtoe »

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2016, 02:06:40 PM »

I never have data on except for when I need maps to navigate. I add items during the week as I think of them to the online list at home, then I take the phone around to the kitchen and pantry and add items right before I leave. It takes me 10 minutes to get to MB from Arlington so I suppose Wegmans could change a price during those 10 minutes. I will have to take that risk. My Ting bill averages $18 a month. The app works even with data off. It saves your check marks as you shop. It just can't update the prices.

Everybody in that group is in their 20's it seems. I'm not sure a 59 year old would fit in. Did you see any oldsters when you went? My goal now is not to outlive my stache.

I know one guy in the group has a college-aged kid (wasn't at the one I went to, but has hosted some in the past apparently - only four of us at the last meetup). It does seemed skewed a little more 20s-30s, but we youngsters don't bite. ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »

Something must be wrong wit your Aldi's. Our's is clean, bright, good selection of certain things, good prices, etc. Love their chocolates and treats. We buy very few of their meats.

We have four supermarkets (well five if you count WalMart) to choose from on the way home. We are not WalMart customers though and actively avoid them. ;)

All of them have their strong points and we visit each at different times. We usually do a big trip once every ten days and fill in in-between.

And the Publix in TN I know best near family is clean, well stocked, and the employees were very friendly. We don't have one in my town but if we did I expect it would put a real hurt on the other stores which would need to up their game to compete on selection.

I think they mean Aldi's is depressing in comparison to Mariano's. Having been in some of the nicer grocery stores, I can definitely see the difference. Aldi's and many groceries remind me of casinos, in that they are drap, look artificial as they have no windows and have a sanitized feel to it, whereas the premium  grocery just feels nice to walk into.

I still shop at Aldi's for select things due to its prices though.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:22 PM »

I'm definitely an eat to live type, but I'm still really invested in the grocery shopping experience. And it's sort of because I see grocery shopping and food prep (and eating) as simply chores that need to be done. I've got a low tolerance for things not being enjoyable, so I have to make chores interesting. Before I got a washing machine, I used all the laundromats in my neighborhood in rotation, just for the excitement factor (fortunately I am also easily amused).

So, unlike my neighbors, I've been to all the grocery stores in my neighborhood and have opinions about them. I scan the sales they advertise in their windows on my walk to work to choose which one I'll visit on the way home that week. Once in the store, I enjoy doing comparison shopping of prices/oz or whatever, because I like being actively engaged. I like building meal plans in my head based on sales. Simply as a logistics problem, less about the sensual pleasures of food.

So to me, it's wonderful to take something that could be boring and unpleasant and make a special occasion out of it. I don't like the high end stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joes because I don't want to spend extra money, but stores like Wegmans--while they do have some expensive stuff you need to avoid the temptation of--can be a fun experience for the same money you would have spent anyway.

I come from a 500,000 year lineage of successful hunter gatherers who got a hit of dopamine every time they procured food.  It is not odd that I enjoy/also get a dopamine hit from procuring food (from a grocery store, from a cherry tree, from whatever.)

Seems like a good explanation to me.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2016, 08:30:30 PM »

I come from a 500,000 year lineage of successful hunter gatherers who got a hit of dopamine every time they procured food.  It is not odd that I enjoy/also get a dopamine hit from procuring food (from a grocery store, from a cherry tree, from whatever.)

Seems like a good explanation to me.

I like it! I don't feel that way when I ordinarily buy groceries, but I certainly do when I get fish from a fishmonger in town.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!