Author Topic: 22 most "economical" new cars and one very unfortunate comment  (Read 3316 times)

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
22 most "economical" new cars and one very unfortunate comment
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:52:01 PM »
I was reading this article http://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-22-cars-are-the-most-economical-to-own-2015-02-12
and came across this very misguided comment (I know, shame on me for reading comments, but damn they are entertaining sometimes).

"First - You never get a good deal on something you don't like.  The Toyota Corolla drives like a golf cart at your local municipal course.  The Jeep Patriot is akin to the golf course maintenance vehicle.  If a car you really like makes you feel better once you arrive, maybe you will have a better day, make more money at work, have more friends, and live longer.  Besides five years is a long time to explain to anyone who asks why you bought what you drive and kept it for so long."

nanu

• Bristles
Re: 22 most "economical" new cars and one very unfortunate comment
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »
You said it - shame on you for reading comments...

Personally, I think it's incredibly sad how often people buy stuff just because of what they think other people will think about them.
Whether it's clothes, a car, a phone, a house, or anything else, I think it's just sad and disappoints me (both those people personally, and the society which endorses this mentality)

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:56:47 PM »
Wow, this is what passes for 'economical' these days?  I'll stick with my used car.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:58:18 PM »
I'd take a used Corolla any day!

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:53:07 AM »
At least they sort of addressed total cost of ownership what with depreciation and all that. As in, a $14k car costs way more than $14k over time. Most people don't see past the payment book.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
I still regret not overhauling my free to me '91 civic.  what a stupid move...

Even though I'm a mechanical twit, I could have had it done for $1k and driven it until the sun burnt out.

New cars have too much electronic shit that breaks.  The engine/transmission are feats of engineering, but the heated seats don't work so it won't turn on?  really?

I do want AC and power windows now, if I must own a car.

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
You said it - shame on you for reading comments...

My browsing experience got a lot better when I installed Herp Derp for YouTube chrome extension.  YouTube comments are generally awful, and now I don't have to read them.  I just wish that they offered one for all the news sites I visit (the Wall Street Journal in particular could use this).

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:18:17 PM »
I use an extension to Firefox called Greasemonkey that allows you to easily write scripts that will run when you visit certain websites.
I have scripts on it to several sites that I frequent to remove annoying content (ads, comments, whole sections I don't care about [gossip sections on news sites]).
There's another extension called Greasefire that automatically finds scripts that people wrote for whatever website you're currently visiting,
so that can help you get started in finding scripts.

I don't know if this extension exists for Chrome, but there might be something similar to it at least.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!